Hayward: "Stevens develops guys out of nowhere"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Hayward: "Stevens develops guys out of nowhere"

I think the 6-year deal tells us the Ainge expects him here for awhile and that Rondo is probably gone for another #1 pick. I like Stevens, hopefully he can aclimate himself quickly to the NBA game. I would've probably gone Calipari if I was hiring a college coach but let's give the guy a chance.

One thing is for sure his teams are ALWAYS prepared, plays gritty, grimy defense and don't commit a bunch of turnovers. Those Butler teams were as disciplined as they come.

Anyone that can take a no-name Butler team to 2 straight NCAA Titles games deserves a chance in the NBA. We may look back 10 years and go, "what a great move that was to get rid of Doc Rivers."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Re: Hayward:

I hope so, BLB, I hope so. Junior better be ready. He ain't gonna be coaching little boys anymore.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

What if Butler had won those back to back NCAA Titles? We'd be sitting here calling him one of the greatest college coaches ever. He'd be the next Coach K.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Rondo isn't going anywhere.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to chris33's comment:

Agree!

I like the guy, but I definitely wouldn't have hired straight from College to NBA head coach. I think the most valuable thing for a future NBA coach is to sit and observe a current NBA coach throughout a whole season so that you have a point of reference.

My first inclination is that he'll be like the next Thibs. But if you think about it, Thibs got the invaluable experience of grinding through a whole season observing Doc implement Docs style and observing him interact with Players.

The point is, I don't see how you can magically become a great coach without having a first hand account of great coaching. Regardless, I'm hoping for the best!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

The new coach will require all to follow the game plan and play defense and get our best shooters their best shots.  There will be trouble with any players not willing to do this.  He is an excellent coach, that will have a plan and he will be the Coach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Tough for a college guy to transition to the NBA... just how many have done so successfully?  He's gonna go from being the absolute boss with final say with kids worried about their scholarships and playing time.... to grown men with bigtime contracts getting paid more than him with options to go elsewhere...

Also, signing a 6 yr deal doesnt mean much... remember Doc signed a 5 yr deal.. if the guy's not getting it done in DAs eyes, hes goin

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

In response to chris33's comment:

[QUOTE]

My first inclination is that he'll be like the next Thibs. But if you think about it, Thibs got the invaluable experience of grinding through a whole season observing Doc implement Docs style and observing him interact with Players.

[/QUOTE]

Thibs has been coaching in the NBA 10 years before Doc ever did... if anything, it was Doc learning from Thibs.. where do you come up with this nonsense

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Has hiring a coach out of college with no NBA experience ever worked?  Maybe someone out there has some examples.  All I remember is our debocle with Pitino.   Calipari was decent I guess but no one else comes to mind.  Help me out, I am thinking the C's are doomed for failure.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

In response to Mchampion's comment:

Has hiring a coach out of college with no NBA experience ever worked?  Maybe someone out there has some examples.  All I remember is our debocle with Pitino.   Calipari was decent I guess but no one else comes to mind.  Help me out, I am thinking the C's are doomed for failure.

I think he NBA is a different league now

most of the rookies are 20 or UNDER.

at least HALF of mosy teams are full of guys who would hve still BEEN in college 20 years ago.

Will Stevens' be a mistake or a master stroke of genius?

who knows at this point. But he ahs proven to get a LOT out of a little and is an apparent hard worker.

hopefully Celtics management will give him time to grow WITH the young  team we will be putting n the court in the next few years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Well Stevens walked right into Butler with no rior college experience and only lost 8 games per year over 6 years AND buildt a program NO ONE had heard of to the point of making it to 2 straight Titles games. That's impressive.

Will it translate, we'l see but the resume says with a young team and patience of 2-3 years but year 3 he should have that team rolling.

Watch his Butler teams if you get a chance. They played like a pro team. Stars took the big shots, the role players did the dirty work and played great team defense and rebounding.

He needs one or two guys to be his marching soldiers. I'm not sure one is Rondo but I know one is Sully. I think Sully is going to end up being the leader of the team. I think the guy that is going to play free and blow up like Hayward did under Stevens is Jeff Green. A guy like Crawford is probably gone, his game is just to erratic.

Sections
Shortcuts