Heinsohn: Olynyk is going to be a star

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

Re: Heinsohn: Olynyk is going to be a star

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bangkoker's comment:

[QUOTE]

Boston versus Dallas:

Kelly Olynyx Stats: 16 points 6 of 11 field goal, 9 rb 3 offensive....he is showing flashes of hope of becoming a dependable scorer in the future.....

[/QUOTE]

Yup!

Scoring comes naturally for Oly because he can score from anywhere.

He just needs to get bigger and stronger.

[/QUOte]

agree!

His scoring ability is fluid a little bit of Dirk, but he got finesse in going to the basket plus he got an offensive rebounding skill which is un-Dirk....If Oly can improve his defense he will have a bright future in the NBA....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

I find Tommy entertaining. He bleeds green. He's a winner, and a proven one at that. But man on man, Eric Montross, Waltah and Steamer were the next big thing according to T. He made the call early on PP though and he was right there.

KO definitely has something but he's not a grafter like Sully. He has the bit of an x factor coming off the bench but has not shown the legs of a starter yet. Great tag-team in the making for the C's though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fbombfury. Show fbombfury's posts

In response to johconn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I find Tommy entertaining. He bleeds green. He's a winner, and a proven one at that. But man on man, Eric Montross, Waltah and Steamer were the next big thing according to T. He made the call early on PP though and he was right there.

KO definitely has something but he's not a grafter like Sully. He has the bit of an x factor coming off the bench but has not shown the legs of a starter yet. Great tag-team in the making for the C's though.

[/QUOTE]
    Oly is John Koncak in disguise and he'll get a contract from the C's the same as Koncak did from the Hawks.  Enjoy!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to fbombfury's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Oly is John Koncak in disguise and he'll get a contract from the C's the same as Koncak did from the Hawks.  Enjoy!

[/QUOTE]

It's certainly not going to be as good as a contract that the Lakers gave Kobester. How's that working out for you? 

Will he ever take a pay cut? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You think Oly has the same skill set as Jon Koncak.

Maybe at some point you could put up a post that shows you know something about hoops. Then you're trolling might be less pathetic.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

I think time will come where Celtics will choose between Olynyk and Sullinger as one of the pillars of the team....

[/QUOTE]

I disagree

They are proving that despite both being natural 4's they can each play some center and complement each other very well. Neither will be max players, even if Sully does become your Elton Brand 18-20ppg 10-11rpg guy.

Tommy is certainly still full of bluster and hyperbole at 80 years old. Love the man and the legend!

Olynyk may not be a 'star' but he still has a lot of potential and his 'floor' is pretty high.

Floor (the least we can expect):

Christian Laettner with some Clifford Robinson mixed in. Many forget age 23-27 Laettner was a 16-18ppg 7-8rpg PF-C. That is what Olynyk will be for sure. 

Chambers and Uncle Cliffy could spread it out to the 3 point line, which Laettner didn't in his game, were 1-2" shorter and more 20ppg 6-7rpg guys. Just depends on if we add a C who plays big mins (like Asik or Greg Monroe) alongside these two, or keep Olynyk more at the 5 and have guys like Hump and Bass around.

Ceiling (the best we can expect):

I would say Pau Gasol or Tom Chambers as far as PF's go (20-23ppg guys, woth 8-9 reb's, 1-2 more boards than Chambers and 1-2 less than Gasol)

Vlade Divac or Jack Sikma as far as C's go b/c of the passing. A 7' who averages 3-4 assists per game. Those guys are 10rpg players who didn't shoot 3's and Olynyk will be an 8-9 rebound per game guy who does shoot 3's.

Those are my player comparisons. He is in good company when it comes to his floor as a VERY good 6th man 16-18ppg 6-7rpg guy playing 26-30 mins a game and his ceiling as a 3rd best player on a contender/borderline all-star 32-36 min per game guy getting 22-23ppg and 8-9rpg.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

His defense and rebounding have been the biggest surprises so far, hes actually a decent defender who plays with hustle and his rebounding has been better than expected.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to gman101019's comment:
    [QUOTE]

His defense and rebounding have been the biggest surprises so far, hes actually a decent defender who plays with hustle and his rebounding has been better than expected.

[/QUOTE]

He actually is rebounding very well.

I saw him play a lot in college as my gf went to Gonzaga and is a big fan.

I didn't think he could rebound in the NBA.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's because some here forget that Oly is a 7-footer!

[/QUOTE]

He didn't board that great in college though. He looked a lot softer than he actually is. He doesnt mind mixing it up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think time will come where Celtics will choose between Olynyk and Sullinger as one of the pillars of the team....

[/QUOTE]

I disagree

They are proving that despite both being natural 4's they can each play some center and complement each other very well. Neither will be max players, even if Sully does become your Elton Brand 18-20ppg 10-11rpg guy.

Tommy is certainly still full of bluster and hyperbole at 80 years old. Love the man and the legend!

Olynyk may not be a 'star' but he still has a lot of potential and his 'floor' is pretty high.

Christian Laettner with some Clifford Robinson mixed in. Many forget age 23-27 Laettner was a 16-18ppg 7-8rpg PF-C. That is what Olynyk will be for sure. 

Chambers and Uncle Cliffy could spread it out to the 3 point line, which Laettner didn't in his game, were 1-2" shorter and more 20ppg 6-7rpg guys. Just depends on if we add a C who plays big mins (like Asik or Greg Monroe) alongside these two, or keep Olynyk more at the 5 and have guys like Hump and Bass around.

I would say Pau Gasol or Tom Chambers as far as PF's go (20-23ppg guys, woth 8-9 reb's, 1-2 more boards than Chambers and 1-2 less than Gasol)

Vlade Divac or Jack Sikma as far as C's go b/c of the passing. A 7' who averages 3-4 assists per game. Those guys are 10rpg players who didn't shoot 3's and Olynyk will be an 8-9 rebound per game guy who does shoot 3's.

Those are my player comparisons. He is in good company when it comes to his floor as a VERY good 6th man 16-18ppg 6-7rpg guy playing 26-30 mins a game and his ceiling as a 3rd best player on a contender/borderline all-star 32-36 min per game guy getting 22-23ppg and 8-9rpg.

[/QUOTE]

Well, either of the players you mentioned above are really good for a 13th pick and for the Celtics. However, your analysis suggest that Oly should get extra monies base on the statistics you mentioned because it is a starter numbers IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

[/QUOTE]

More left coast drivel!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

IIn response to teejaytee70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Pressey is your team's backup point guard....or in your team's rotation, then your team is not a contending team....or even a playoff team.

[/QUOTE]

PRESSY IS A KEEPER+2

Teams like the loser Lakers are salivating in the hope that the Celtics let Pressey go so they can pick him up on the cheap. Not happening IMO! Even Nate had his day, (and a Big one)although being only about 5'7 or 8. Pressey has some serious potential as a great bench player if not more.

Tommy is right he paces the game and has great man to man "D" skills even though he is just a rook!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

Mark Cuban must have crapped to see Oly playing like a fine replacement for Dirk as Dirk ages.

I had semi-season tickets in the 11th row in Atlanta when Koncak played.  It is hilarious to imagine Knoncak being as good as Oly. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

Well, either of the players you mentioned above are really good for a 13th pick and for the Celtics. However, your analysis suggest that Oly should get extra monies base on the statistics you mentioned because it is a starter numbers IMO.

[/QUOTE]

Olynyk could face a Kevin McHale situation if he is a 6th man when his rookie contract is up.

If you remember, McHale, the 6th man and a free agent in the offseason of 1983, signed an offer sheet by the Knicks. Auerbach responded by signing 3 of the Knicks free agents to offer sheets and they in turn released McHale from the deal and he signed for 1m. the 4th highest contract in the NBA at the time.

He still didn't start for 2 more seasons.

I could see Olynyk putting up 17/8 as a 31-32 minute a game 6th man if the teams gets a defensive, pure C like Asik. But when it comes time for a contract extension you better believe he will be asking to get paid like a starter and will prob make a little more than the Larry Sander 4/44.

Asik would be great to start, extend past next season at only 8-9 million per and play 25-28 mins a game as Olynyk closed them out b/c of his FT shooting or the team went offensive/defense with Oly/Asik and Avery/a tall superior shooter like Gordon Hayward.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Christian Laettner 2.0 isn't  a bad thing... b/c he came into the league with a 'slow Canadian hippie who is sneaky/fundamental sound but awful on defense' reputation as the 13th pick and not the Duke pretty boy, 3rd pick overall, college super-duper star on the Dream Team off b2b NCAA championships.

Laettner was a 17 point 8 rebound 2.5 assist 1 steal 1 block 49%/83% F-C who didn't shoot 3's and was average on D. but only ages 23-27. Kelly needs to double the length of a productive career.

Olynyk could be all those things with 55% from the field and 35% from 3 (taking 3 making 1) a game #'s and similar average D when he sheds some fat for muscle and works hard on his game.

GRUNGE

vs.

BLUE STEEL!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I disagree

[/QUOTE]

I think you are right on the money !

OLY has real skills and looks to be a keeper along with Sully

Excited about draft night and the Celtics opening night roster in 2014-2015.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkiller. Show greenkiller's posts

Isn't this the same board that many were saying Fat Melo would be the next Shaq in 2 or 3 years????? I think Fat Melo is pumping gas in a gas station near you...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to greenkiller's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Isn't this the same board that many were saying Fat Melo would be the next Shaq in 2 or 3 years????? I think Fat Melo is pumping gas in a gas station near you...

[/QUOTE]

Nobody said that, what moron fantasy world do you live in?'

Village idiot Fiercy was an advocate of Melo as the next Samuel Dalembert or Perkins, but nobody said Shaq... clueless troll.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

In response to greenkiller's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, it is the same board where you continue to show that there is some human waste still on earth

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

FAB MELO WAS A TERRIBLE DRAFT PICK

PERRY JONES III WAS PICKED #23 BY OKC......ONE PICK AFTER FAB MELO. 

THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A WHILE......

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

In response to heirplain's comment:

IIn response to teejaytee70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Pressey is your team's backup point guard....or in your team's rotation, then your team is not a contending team....or even a playoff team.

PRESSY IS A KEEPER+2

Teams like the loser Lakers are salivating in the hope that the Celtics let Pressey go so they can pick him up on the cheap. Not happening IMO! Even Nate had his day, (and a Big one)although being only about 5'7 or 8. Pressey has some serious potential as a great bench player if not more.

Tommy is right he paces the game and has great man to man "D" skills even though he is just a rook!

[/QUOTE]

Actually i think we have someone better than Pressey in Kendall Marshall

His stats so far

2013-14 Season

PPG  APG  RPG   PER

8.4  9.4   3.1     13.37

25. This post has been removed.