Helloooo LOTTERY

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: Helloooo LOTTERY

In Response to Re: Helloooo LOTTERY:
    [QUOTE]It's not that, the Celts just got old. 35-year olds vs. 25-year olds? Come on. The Spurs don't seem to be having any trouble and they're even older than the Celtics. It's not just age. Fans quit early on the 2010 Celtics team that reached the Finals. Many of us thought that club wouldn't make it out of the first round. It's been three games. The Celtics, minus their best scorer and bench player, actually looked pretty good for long stretches of the first two games, both of which came against two of the best teams in the league, and on the road no less. Only the loss to New Orleans was a real stinker. Being the second of a back to back could explain the lack of energy. Miami almost lost to Charlotte (one point win) tonight on the second of a back to back. I still think this Celtics team will at least make it to the second round of the playoffs, if not further. There's a lot to like: 1. Bass and Wilcox - a pair of rebounders who aren't afraid to bang inside. 2. Stiemsma - a disciplined shotblocker who plays great defense. 3. Rondo - the outside jumper seems to be improved. 4. Allen - still hits the outside shots at a high percentage. 5. Dooling - good spot-up shooter on the fast break, scrappy defensive player. Pierce and Pietrus are definitely going to help. They're easily good for 30 points a night. That's almost 1/3 of the necessary output for a victory. Rivers said that Moore will receive an opportunity ahead of Bradley. Johnson hit a jumper in his 2 minutes of action tonight. Maybe the rookies will be contributors too. The negatives: 1. Garnett - he's morphed into Mark Blount, who was a decent jump shooting big but not much else. Age appears to have caught up with him. 2. Bradley - I'd be surprised if he's still in the league by 2014. 3. Pavlovic - waste of a roster spot. 4. Daniels - 12th man masquerading as a 6th man. 5. O'Neal - decent interior defender in a half-court set, five steps too slow on everything else. How to address the negatives: 1. Wait another 5-10 games and see if some of the problems resolve themselves with additional practices and confidence-building home games against inferior competition. 2. For the problems that don't resolve themselves, release or trade minimum salaried players and replace them with better ones (probable hit list: Pavlovic, Daniels, Bradley). 3. For more expensive disappointments, make cap-friendly trades (Garnett and O'Neal for whoever, even if just low first round draft picks).
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

Wow - great analysis.  Thorough and balanced.  

FYI and one counterpoint:  last year our average age was 29.08 years while the Spurs were 27.5 years.  The Spurs spread increased this year as they got even younger.   They were much younger because younger players played key roles.  Also, they've been drafting better than us and its starting to show.  I watched three of their games and the young guys are all contributing big time.  Gary Neal, Anderson, etc are all great young pickups for them (vs Bradley who is a waste for us).

One other interesting tidbit for folks.  To See how the Spurs have reduced their dependency on the older Duncan, he starts, but in 3 games (2 wins),....Duncan averages 20.7 minutes, 5 rebounds, and 8 points.  Last year with a great record, he averaged 28 minutes, 9 rebounds and 13 points.  Their player pickups have really helped them to get younger.  Danny should have taken note and got younger players to develop and forced Doc to play them.....but by giving Doc older players and no big young guys - there was no big guys to develop (Bradley, Luke, Giddens, Lester weren't going to help anyone!).   I sure hope both Danny and Doc change their ways on this topic going forward.  They are both to blame for what's happened to our front court and its lack of size and youth.  Moore and Johnson better see playing time this year to develop!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]It's not that, the Celts just got old. 35-year olds vs. 25-year olds? Come on. The Spurs don't seem to be having any trouble and they're even older than the Celtics. It's not just age. Fans quit early on the 2010 Celtics team that reached the Finals. Many of us thought that club wouldn't make it out of the first round. It's been three games. The Celtics, minus their best scorer and bench player, actually looked pretty good for long stretches of the first two games, both of which came against two of the best teams in the league, and on the road no less. Only the loss to New Orleans was a real stinker. Being the second of a back to back could explain the lack of energy. Miami almost lost to Charlotte (one point win) tonight on the second of a back to back. I still think this Celtics team will at least make it to the second round of the playoffs, if not further. There's a lot to like: 1. Bass and Wilcox - a pair of rebounders who aren't afraid to bang inside. 2. Stiemsma - a disciplined shotblocker who plays great defense. 3. Rondo - the outside jumper seems to be improved. 4. Allen - still hits the outside shots at a high percentage. 5. Dooling - good spot-up shooter on the fast break, scrappy defensive player. Pierce and Pietrus are definitely going to help. They're easily good for 30 points a night. That's almost 1/3 of the necessary output for a victory. Rivers said that Moore will receive an opportunity ahead of Bradley. Johnson hit a jumper in his 2 minutes of action tonight. Maybe the rookies will be contributors too. The negatives: 1. Garnett - he's morphed into Mark Blount, who was a decent jump shooting big but not much else. Age appears to have caught up with him. 2. Bradley - I'd be surprised if he's still in the league by 2014. 3. Pavlovic - waste of a roster spot. 4. Daniels - 12th man masquerading as a 6th man. 5. O'Neal - decent interior defender in a half-court set, five steps too slow on everything else. How to address the negatives: 1. Wait another 5-10 games and see if some of the problems resolve themselves with additional practices and confidence-building home games against inferior competition. 2. For the problems that don't resolve themselves, release or trade minimum salaried players and replace them with better ones (probable hit list: Pavlovic, Daniels, Bradley). 3. For more expensive disappointments, make cap-friendly trades (Garnett and O'Neal for whoever, even if just low first round draft picks).
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

Wow - great analysis.  Thorough and balanced.  

FYI and one counterpoint:  last year our average age was 29.08 years while the Spurs were 27.5 years.  The Spurs spread increased this year as they got even younger.   They were much younger because younger players played key roles.  Also, they've been drafting better than us and its starting to show.  I watched three of their games and the young guys are all contributing big time.  Gary Neal, Anderson, etc are all great young pickups for them (vs Bradley who is a waste for us).

One other interesting tidbit for folks.  To See how the Spurs have reduced their dependency on the older Duncan, he starts, but in 3 games (2 wins),....Duncan averages 20.7 minutes, 5 rebounds, and 8 points.  Last year with a great record, he averaged 28 minutes, 9 rebounds and 13 points.  Their player pickups have really helped them to get younger.  Danny should have taken note and got younger players to develop and forced Doc to play them.....but by giving Doc older players and no big young guys - there was no big guys to develop (Bradley, Luke, Giddens, Lester weren't going to help anyone!).   I sure hope both Danny and Doc change their ways on this topic going forward.  They are both to blame for what's happened to our front court and its lack of size and youth.  Moore and Johnson better see playing time this year to develop!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Sorry about the double post. Hit the button twice by mistake.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Helloooo LOTTERY": I agree with just about everything you said, except that Ray would be a very attractive asset to several teams. I hope we don't trade him but with an expiring contract, his being in shape, and his scoring, he is an attractive asset. But overall, I hope Danny rides it out this years, keeps his powder dry, and uses his draft choices and cap room to start the rebuild next year.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

You could be right about Ray, he isn't making a lot of $ and they probably can get something for him, hopefully a rebuilding chip and/or a pick.  Whether they choose to go that route is another story, but I wouldn't put it past Danny, and I'm sure he'd trade Ray to a contender if he decided that a trade made sense.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]Q.....I seriously doubt that Howard ends up a Laker....he definitely won't be in Boston either....if he does go to LA then goodbye Bynum and Gasol.....look, Howard has been a starter for 7 years....he hasn't lifted his team to greatness yet....with the roster the Lakers would have why would you think he would do it there? ....Kobe is already slowing down and the roster isn't really that good compared to the Western competition....I'm not trying to start an argument here buddy....I just think that the championship dreams of both teams are just that....dreams....both sides need to rebuild...LA has always been able to bring in talent, that is true....but Jimmy is now running the show and Mike Brown is no Phil Jackson or Pat Riley....the Clippers currently offer a better venue for talent...just my opinion.....Happy New Year pal....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Duke, don't count out Mitch Kupchak. He "studyed" under Jerry West and has become a "more than competent" GM. It seems that all his moves during the off-season are paying off. The Mike Brown hire is looking good (despite the thinking and commentary on this board), and Troy Murphy, Jason Kapono and Josh McRoberts are already paying dividends at a bargain basement price.

There have been 4 great centers in LA, 3 of whom are in the HOF (and Shaq will be there eventually). LA is where good centers become great centers, and great centers enhance their legacy. Look what happened to Shaq once he left...he had to ride D-Wade's coattails to earn another ring. Dwight Howard would be a great fit in LA and he knows it. He would be surrounded by a much better team than what he has in Orlando. We're crossing our fingers and hoping Bynum plays like a monster and stays healthy. The Magic have already said they don't want to rebuild and would want "veterans", and they will definitely be interested in how Bynum performs. Whether or not the deal is actually made...we'll have to wait and see. But if it happens, the Lakers will roll for another 10 years or so.

You and I see the Lakers roster in different perspectives. I see it as much better, but it's all opinions. Kobe is saying his knee is close to 100% and after watching him against the Knicks, I'm not seeing him like he was last year. He looks pretty healthy.

Anyway, hope you're having a good holiday season and wish you the best for the New Year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Helloooo LOTTERY : Duke, don't count out Mitch Kupchak. He "studyed" under Jerry West and has become a "more than competent" GM. It seems that all his moves during the off-season are paying off. The Mike Brown hire is looking good (despite the thinking and commentary on this board), and Troy Murphy, Jason Kapono and Josh McRoberts are already paying dividends at a bargain basement price. There have been 4 great centers in LA, 3 of whom are in the HOF (and Shaq will be there eventually). LA is where good centers become great centers, and great centers enhance their legacy. Look what happened to Shaq once he left...he had to ride D-Wade's coattails to earn another ring. Dwight Howard would be a great fit in LA and he knows it. He would be surrounded by a much better team than what he has in Orlando. We're crossing our fingers and hoping Bynum plays like a monster and stays healthy. The Magic have already said they don't want to rebuild and would want "veterans", and they will definitely be interested in how Bynum performs. Whether or not the deal is actually made...we'll have to wait and see. But if it happens, the Lakers will roll for another 10 years or so. You and I see the Lakers roster in different perspectives. I see it as much better, but it's all opinions. Kobe is saying his knee is close to 100% and after watching him against the Knicks, I'm not seeing him like he was last year. He looks pretty healthy. Anyway, hope you're having a good holiday season and wish you the best for the New Year.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

The lakers are very good this year, but unless DH can play PG, you cannot win the title this year.  Derek Fisher should be on our team, he is showing his age most of the time.  YES, I saw that coast to coast move against the Jazz - but Ray dropped 25 the other night, too.  MOST of the time, Fisher is showing his age.  I don't think DH would help.  CHI is in the running now, and ATL has offered Smith AND Joe Johnson.  Just can't see Gasol and Bynum getting it done now.  And, we know if Bynum even tweaks his knee, or gets one more speeding ticket, no one will want him!!

One more thing - you really, REALLY think it was a good move by Mitch to give LO away for basically nothing??  West would never have done that!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Helloooo LOTTERY : Nobody talks about it but I think that DH is going to wind up in Dallas...........Cuban has dumped payroll this year by not signing Chandler (he was not going to be someone to build your team around once Nowitzki retires) and Stevenson..........the reason for dumping payroll is to make a push for DH who has all ready put Dallas on his short list of teams he would like to go to...I don't see the Lakers as trade partners only because Orlando can't lose another big to LA (Shaq).......Dallas is my best guess
    Posted by damfuno[/QUOTE]

Like Michael Corleone said..."it's just business". As distasteful as it would be for Orlando to have to trade their big man to L.A., they realize that the only other truly dominating center in the league is in the City of Angels. They know they run the risk of losing Howard for nothing (just like Shaq before) if they let the trade deadline come & go. They're not stupid. The Lakers are in a good position because they have better trade assets than Dallas or NJ (who's only real trade asset now has a broken foot).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Qdaddy, I would not put it past the Lakers to get Howard at the trade deadline.  I agree that Bynum and Gasol are two great assets.  What will you do if Orlando asks for both of them?   What you lose in those two you do not gain in Howard, however (primarily in points).  In today's league, you'll need 3 great players and a 4th very good.  

I do agree that if you get DH AND Jameer Nelson you solve another problem - the point guard position.  He's not great, but with Howard and Kobe, that's 2 great players and Jameer is then the "good" one.  Coupled with Metta World Peace and others - you're a darn good team......one that vie's for the Western Conf title.

Like last year's Carmelo drama, this is going to be a big drama for a while.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Helloooo LOTTERY : Like Michael Corleone said..."it's just business". As distasteful as it would be for Orlando to have to trade their big man to L.A., they realize that the only other truly dominating center in the league is in the City of Angels. They know they run the risk of losing Howard for nothing (just like Shaq before) if they let the trade deadline come & go. They're not stupid. The Lakers are in a good position because they have better trade assets than Dallas or NJ (who's only real trade asset now has a broken foot).
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

You really think Kupchak will trade both Gasol and Bynum for Howard?  Esp now, when Pau is playing with more energy?  He doesn't really have a say in where he goes.  If a team like HOU or ATL thinks they have one shot to win, and he could put them over the top, then he is "rentable" for a year.  And watch out for DAL - they could trade Terry, LO and some others for Howard, then get DWill over the summer.  I don't think he'll go to LA!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]Qdaddy, I would not put it past the Lakers to get Howard at the trade deadline.  I agree that Bynum and Gasol are two great assets.  What will you do if Orlando asks for both of them?   What you lose in those two you do not gain in Howard, however (primarily in points).  In today's league, you'll need 3 great players and a 4th very good.   I do agree that if you get DH AND Jameer Nelson you solve another problem - the point guard position.  He's not great, but with Howard and Kobe, that's 2 great players and Jameer is then the "good" one.  Coupled with Metta World Peace and others - you're a darn good team......one that vie's for the Western Conf title. Like last year's Carmelo drama, this is going to be a big drama for a while.

I know the Lakers have said they wouldn't trade both for Bynum...and that makes sense. However, lately I've been hearing that they might bring in another team (Houston?) to help make a trade.

I've gotta agree with you about Jameer Nelson, and I had been speculating about that myself recently. He's no Chris Paul, but he would be an upgrade over Fish, and Howard already knows how he plays, so that would be an advantage to bringing him in.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Helloooo LOTTERY : You really think Kupchak will trade both Gasol and Bynum for Howard?  Esp now, when Pau is playing with more energy?  He doesn't really have a say in where he goes.  If a team like HOU or ATL thinks they have one shot to win, and he could put them over the top, then he is "rentable" for a year.  And watch out for DAL - they could trade Terry, LO and some others for Howard, then get DWill over the summer.  I don't think he'll go to LA!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

I would hope he wouldn't, but it might be the price they have to pay. But, I have a lot of confidence in Kupchak to look at every trade scenario and bringing in another team to make a "blockbuster" trade that would benefit all teams. As much as the Magic want to keep Howard, they know they're not in the best bargaining position and Howard has already made it known which teams he would like to go to. And of those teams, the Lakers have the best trade assets and could even take on Hedu Turkoglu's contact. I'm sure we're going to be hearing a lot of rumors as the trade deadline approaches.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Qdaddy,
    Kupchak has done a great job with acquisitions lately.  Barnes and Blake,  Kapono this year, funny how when West's fingerprints are not on every trade Kupchak looks like a less than ordinary GM.

Dwight Howard will not be the answer for the  Lakers but it may destroy them. Letting go of Odom was the single worst trade of the last four years.  And the season is not over.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

The Celts are making the playoffs - count on it. 

I saw plenty of heart in the first two games, the third game the Celts were tired, period. 

You're confusing heart and tired legs. You're also confusing heart and lack of talent. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from greeneater2. Show greeneater2's posts

[QUOTE]Qdaddy, Kupchak has done a great job with acquisitions lately.  Barnes and Blake,  Kapono this year, funny how when West's fingerprints are not on every trade Kupchak looks like a less than ordinary GM. Dwight Howard will not be the answer for the  Lakers but it may destroy them. Letting go of Odom was the single worst trade of the last four years.  And the season is not over.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Oh really?  Is the season over with yet?  What are Odom numbers going to look like at eos?  Looks to me like Ron Ron going after 6 man of the year award.......looking good.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Helloooo LOTTERY : Oh really?  Is the season over with yet?  What are Odom numbers going to look like at eos?  Looks to me like Ron Ron going after 6 man of the year award.......looking good.
    Posted by greeneater2[/QUOTE]

Who's Ron Ron?  Is that doo doo ron ron??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

With CP3 going to Clippers and Celtics have their pick(top ten protected). If Clippers get the 11 pick. Meyers Leonard is the guy. 7 foot stud. Shot blocker. Can finish strong.

But if Austin Rivers is there you have to take him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from greeneater2. Show greeneater2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Helloooo LOTTERY : The lakers are very good this year, but unless DH can play PG, you cannot win the title this year.  Derek Fisher should be on our team, he is showing his age most of the time.  YES, I saw that coast to coast move against the Jazz - but Ray dropped 25 the other night, too.  MOST of the time, Fisher is showing his age.  I don't think DH would help.  CHI is in the running now, and ATL has offered Smith AND Joe Johnson.  Just can't see Gasol and Bynum getting it done now.  And, we know if Bynum even tweaks his knee, or gets one more speeding ticket, no one will want him!!One more thing - you really, REALLY think it was a good move by Mitch to give LO away for basically nothing??  West would never have done that!!  Enjoy the New Year!
    Yeah, nobody will want Bynum a top 5 center in the league.  First game back from suspension scoring 29 points and 13 rebounds.  Bro you better get glasses or have them adjusted, because they both are looking good. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

[QUOTE]The Celts are making the playoffs - count on it.  I saw plenty of heart in the first two games, the third game the Celts were tired, period.  You're confusing heart and tired legs. You're also confusing heart and lack of talent. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]
    You are optimist, that's great. You must not be reading Fierce's comments. Otherwise you could be in a panic as well...as he would be happy to point out: no team has ever made the playoffs with a 1-3 record! There is no way that Boston can come back from a record like that, the Celtics are doomed!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4420007. Show user_4420007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Helloooo LOTTERY : Bro, last year he was #1.  Now he's Top 5?  IF that. I think Rose, Wade, MeBron, Durant and Howard.................koME can come off the bench now!!

How many rings do all those guys have? How many does Kobe have?

Game over. Arguing over Kobe's greatness is insane. Had he been a Celtic with 5 rings, we'd be fawning over him as possibly the greatest of all time.

Ugh.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Laughing out loud at that silly "no team has ever made the playoffs with a 1-3 record!".   

Read this from today's NY Times as they try to explain the impact of the Knicks being 1 win and 2 losses:

The fewer games played, the more mayhem ensues, and if the course of this season turns out to be anything like that of the 1998-99 postlockout term, we’ll see plenty of record and seeding-related oddities.

That year, the San Antonio Spurs – who eventually went on to be the N.B.A. champions – won just six of their first 14 games. That’s a win percentage of .428 through nearly a third of a 50-game season, and yet San Antonio rebounded nicely for a late-season burst and a march through the playoffs.

Silly for someone to try to project the playoffs after 4 or 5 games, Tex.  Celtics and Knicks will be in the playoffs.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Helloooo LOTTERY : How many rings do all those guys have? How many does Kobe have? Game over. Arguing over Kobe's greatness is insane. Had he been a Celtic with 5 rings, we'd be fawning over him as possibly the greatest of all time. Ugh.
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

koME has 5 rings.  In his day, he was the best player in the game.  He is still a great player - no argument there.  He's just not now, today, a top 5 player, that's all - hey, it happens to everyone, and it's happened to koME!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Helloooo LOTTERY : Yeah, nobody will want Bynum a top 5 center in the league.  First game back from suspension scoring 29 points and 13 rebounds.  Bro you better get glasses or have them adjusted, because they both are looking good. 
    Posted by greeneater2[/QUOTE]

BRO - if they are both so good, how come ORL hasn't made the trade yet?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

[QUOTE]Laughing out loud at that silly "no team has ever made the playoffs with a 1-3 record!".    Read this from today's NY Times as they try to explain the impact of the Knicks being 1 win and 2 losses: The fewer games played, the more mayhem ensues, and if the course of this season turns out to be anything like that of the 1998-99 postlockout term, we’ll see plenty of record and seeding-related oddities. That year, the San Antonio Spurs – who eventually went on to be the N.B.A. champions – won just six of their first 14 games. That’s a win percentage of .428 through nearly a third of a 50-game season, and yet San Antonio rebounded nicely for a late-season burst and a march through the playoffs. Silly for someone to try to project the playoffs after 4 or 5 games, Tex.  Celtics and Knicks will be in the playoffs.  
    The thing about the Spurs is that they don't fear developing their young players by giving them playing time. The Celtics won't even get close if they don't do the same. Hey Fierce, I am just messing with ya. You're a pretty sharp guy just a little too pessimistic. I am sure that comes from years of following the C's make bone-head after bone-head moves. I for one have long been frustrated with Ainge's personnell moves with the exception of getting KG and Ray Allen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Helloooo LOTTERY : koME has 5 rings.  In his day, he was the best player in the game.  He is still a great player - no argument there.  He's just not now, today, a top 5 player, that's all - hey, it happens to everyone, and it's happened to koME!!

He also wouldn't have won some of those championships without Shaq.  

Sections
Shortcuts