Hey Doc, GOING SMALL NEVER WORKS!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

Re: Hey Doc, GOING SMALL NEVER WORKS!

I don't think that's fair. No matter who Doc puts in there the Celtics are still going to be small. KG is 7-foot but he plays like a 6'5" player. O'Neal is 6'11" but he can't jump. Wilcox can jump but he's not tall. And Steamy is tall but foul prone. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Obviously, you didn't see game 4 of the 2008 Finals.
    Going small seemed to work then.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kycleptic. Show kycleptic's posts

In Response to Re: Hey Doc, GOING SMALL NEVER WORKS!:
    In Response to Re: Hey Doc, GOING SMALL NEVER WORKS! : Bullpucky. You can play KG and Stiemsma or Wilcox together and play Bass and JJ at the three sometimes when Pierce is resting. Also Pietrus should start over Ray Allen. The old gray mare she ain't what she used to be... Doc is making the same mistakes he always makes. He overplays the vets past their prime, and he goes small instead of going BIG.
    Posted by Kirk6

Bass and JJ are not SFs. To give you an idea of what it would be like for Bass or JJ to play SF, just imagine Bass or JJ chasing Pietrus through screens and picks. 

Both Bass and JJ can play some C, but not the SF position. They're just not quick enough.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

No legs... it's age.

Back to back. 40 minutes, then get on a plane to do it again. Maybe when you're 25... but not 35... add a letdown, post Laker hangover. Predictable.

I just don't think you should put all that age on the court at once. They should play 2 at a time. When they play 3, or even 4 (Jermaine), you can forget about loose balls or rebounding. That's on Doc. He should have figured it out by now.

A couple of more stinkers like last night and these guys will turn on each other... Ray "I was open"...PP "I should have played more"... could be starting already.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

No legs... it's age. Back to back. 40 minutes, then get on a plane to do it again. Maybe when you're 25... but not 35... add a letdown, post Laker hangover. Predictable. I just don't think you should put all that age on the court at once. They should play 2 at a time. When they play 3, or even 4 (Jermaine), you can forget about loose balls or rebounding. That's on Doc. He should have figured it out by now. A couple of more stinkers like last night and these guys will turn on each other... Ray "I was open"...PP "I should have played more"... could be starting already.
    Posted by MrJohnnyMost

Agree with you about Doc's substitutions.  When playing a back to back game it only makes sense for the starters to play less minutes and the bench players
    to be substituted differently to give them a chance of winning the game. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Game after game we get killed on the boards. 14 rebounds from Jose Calderon? Ridiculous.
    Posted by Kirk6

Maybe because the Celtics dont have anyone that can rebound?  How is this Doc's fault?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Game after game we get killed on the boards. 14 rebounds from Jose Calderon? Ridiculous.
    Posted by Kirk6

Calderone had four rebounds not 14. He had 14 assists.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In Response to Re: Hey Doc, GOING SMALL NEVER WORKS! : Calderone had four rebounds not 14. He had 14 assists.
    Posted by concord27

Nevermind

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Hey Doc, GOING SMALL NEVER WORKS! : Agree with you about Doc's substitutions.  When playing a back to back game it only makes sense for the starters to play less minutes and the bench players to be substituted differently to give them a chance of winning the game. 
    Posted by susan250

Have you looked at the stats of minuites played instead of your personal perception?  The only one of the big 3 who played lots of minutes was Pierce.  Ray only played 30 mins.  KG played LESS minutes than Bass.  Wilcox and Piertrus played lots of minutes (in fact, Pietrus played about 2 minutess less than Ray).   

Its always easy to start to find fault in something like minutes played but in the end, the players have to execute.  Neither the bench who got lots of chances nor the starters came to play.  That's not on the coach.....that's just players who didn't come to play, including our young point guard who seems to be in one of his funks and our captain who could muster nothing.   In fact, I'd say only KG played decent in this game.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Well, I don't agree with that.  The team did NOT play better without Ray.  Until the Laker game, the team lost only once recently while Ray's been playing.  

Why?   Because Paul and KG were playing well.  This isn't rocket science. When KG and Paul and Ray play well, the rest of the team plays well.  When 2 of the 3 play well, the team plays well.  When Paul's not playing well and Ray's not hitting or KG is not hitting/rebounding, we lose.

everyone's making this overly complicated.  KG had a bad game against the Lakers.  He had a good game against the Raptors but Paul had a bad game (along with the rest of the team).   When you're leaders aren't leading, you lose.  Simple.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

We've won with Rondo doing nothing in the 4th quarter and we've lost with Rondo playing well.  The key is KG, Paul, and Ray.  We have a nice bench, but none of them are going to be hall of famers replacing these 3 guys.  Our Big 3 either step up or we exit the playoffs in the first round and rebuild over the summer.  Simple.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to "Re: Hey Doc, GOING SMALL NEVER WORKS!":
    I don't think that's fair. No matter who Doc puts in there the Celtics are still going to be small. KG is 7-foot but he plays like a 6'5" player. O'Neal is 6'11" but he can't jump. Wilcox can jump but he's not tall. And Steamy is tall but foul prone.  Posted by ConnectingRod
    Exactly. And the guys like Wilcox and Steimsma and Jon can't produce points except a few hustle points. That won't carry an offense. There's a reason why those guys are perennial bench warmers and NBDL players. We need stars for a championship and that's only going to come via a free agency signing, the draft, or a HUGE trade ( nor Rondo for some medium talent player). We're all going to have to wait for the season to be over to see some big moves, unfortunately.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

I don't think that's fair. No matter who Doc puts in there the Celtics are still going to be small. KG is 7-foot but he plays like a 6'5" player. O'Neal is 6'11" but he can't jump. Wilcox can jump but he's not tall. And Steamy is tall but foul prone. 
    Posted by ConnectingRod

I agree with you. You can't blame Doc for Boston not having size, that falls on Danny Ainge. Doc doesn't have a choice to go small-that's all he has.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to "Re: Hey Doc, GOING SMALL NEVER WORKS!":
    In Response to Re: Hey Doc, GOING SMALL NEVER WORKS! : Sorry, Pietrus is better than Ray. And yes, we did play better without Ray. We set the NBA record for fewest points allowed in two consecutive second halfs. Ray can shoot, that's it. He can't defend, rebound, or take anyone off the dribble. We played better without Ray, JO, and Rondo. Posted by Kirk6
    You are confused my friend. You are excited about beating an Orlando team when they were arguing internally and playing terrible. Our subs ( and even with Ray when he came back) beat the Wizards, Raptors, Knicks, and Cavs. Only good team we beat was Indiana. Don't be fooled by us beating bad teams. Our losses have been to the Heat, Bulls, Lakers, OKC. Those subs aren't beating anybody and Pietrus sucked last night and he had no "back to back" excuse.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts