History

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

History

I was reading the thread about the great sports franchises....I noticed the discussion of the Celtic dominance in the "old 8 team league....dominated by slow white guys"....a little perspective...

from 56/57 through 86/87...31 years....from the "old era" to the "modern era" (this is the period cited by many Laker posters....)  .....the Celtics...

won 16 titles.....just under one half....no team is even close

got to the finals 19 times....again....unheard of

missed the finals 12 times....but made the playoffs 28 of the 31 years (this is off the top of my head)...

the Celtics were a dominant franchise like no other....after the last title in '86 there were many more playoff runs (despite losing Bias and Lewis)...

this franchise is the greatest based on winning in their league percentage wise over the years the league operated...

I believe this is pretty accurate......I kind of "winged it"...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: History

In Response to History:
    [QUOTE]I was reading the thread about the great sports franchises....I noticed the discussion of the Celtic dominance in the "old 8 team league....dominated by slow white guys"....a little perspective... from 56/57 through 86/87...31 years....from the "old era" to the "modern era" (this is the period cited by many Laker posters....)  .....the Celtics... won 16 titles.....just under one half....no team is even close got to the finals 19 times....again....unheard of missed the finals 12 times....but made the playoffs 28 of the 31 years (this is off the top of my head)... the Celtics were a dominant franchise like no other....after the last title in '86 there were many more playoff runs (despite losing Bias and Lewis)... this franchise is the greatest based on winning in their league percentage wise over the years the league operated... I believe this is pretty accurate......I kind of "winged it"...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Quite a legacy.

Lets hope that we can stay competitive among the elite teams for a long, long time.

Getting to be one of the elite is hard.

Staying there is even harder.

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

we?

i'll venture you've got at least 500 posts since game 7 ragging waaaay too hard on boston's transcendent young pg. sorry, puddinpuddin, but your celtic we privileges have been revoked.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

You have a wealth of Basketball knowledge Duke!

A thing that irks me is that the fans that deride the Celtics winning in that era dominated by slow white guys. Are knocking their own championship legacy, that is of course assuming they're Lakers fans and only counting the Minneapolis titles to get to a total of 17 championships.

The Celtics era of dominance in the 50's and 60's was great. But I can't help but feel the Celtics won the greatest sweepstakes of the early days of Basketball. That was the right to draft Bill Russell. Without Russell I don't believe the Celtics would have won half the titles they claimed during the Russell era. You'd also have to assume that the whole history of the Franchise would have changed. If they didn't have Russell, would they have been in a position to draft Havileck that led to the early success of the 1970's?

Russell is the foundation of the house that Red built. Sure a lot of the guys were there before Russell. Cousey, Sharman, Ramsey (can't remember any others off the top of my head), but they didn't win any championships prior to Russell arriving. That man was the catalyst for everything that came after his arrival. And I think the affects of his time at the Celtics only abated once the Bird era finished.

I reason this as an example of cause and effect. Russell came that allowed the Celtics to draft Havileck, Cowans and Bird. The key parts of the Celtics titles of the 70's and 80's. Without Russell who can say what if any success the Celtics may have had? They could have gone the way of the St Louis Hawks. Even successful early teams such as The Lakers moved cities. Russell's success with the Celtics ensured the team survived and remained in Boston.

Percentages and finals appearances are one thing. But to break it down to it's core. The reason for Boston being what it is was Bill Russell.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Once again, you nailed it Worthy.....Russ was one of a kind....for whatever reason he became the measuring stick for all NBA big men. Take a look at the greatest big men and count their titles, not only in number but also within the time frame they played. Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabbar, Shaq.....they all won titles but not the way Russ did.....sure, there are a number of reasons his Celtics won so often...certainly they had talent....but they were also selfless in their ability to play together. It's really something when you consider one category....of all these great players, no Celtic has ever led the league in scoring....think of that for a moment....not one. In reality, the only other big man who dominated like Russ was your own big fellow...George Mikan during the late '40's and early '50's...

.....by the way..........in a recent post you mentioned Canada....I figured you to be an LA gal.....no?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Russell is just amazing. From what I've read about him an seen in interviews he appears to be an extremely intelligent man. Certainly was given a lot of gifts in life.

Never lived in LA in my life Duke. Was born in Australia, and moved to Canada when I was two. Stayed there until I was 13 then the family moved back to Australia.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

RUWorthy,
    You're right. But when you talk about Russell you have to talk Red because Russell in green was his creation, IMHO.

AK

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Wow......an Aussie huh? very cool......my best friend from early school days lived in Australia for a while after graduation and he loved it...my wife's nephew and his wife went over a year or two ago.....absolutely blown away......for what it's worth....my all time favorite female tennis player was Evonne Goolagong from down under....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

That's true about Red. Is it me or was he treated as a bit of a Joke by the Celtics owners towards the end? I honestly don't see how he could have lost his still and intelligence when it comes to Basketball. At least the fans still love him which is all that matters.

Yeah, I feel more Canadian than Australian though, have no Australian accent and my Canadian one doesn't seem any weaker. Australia is a great country though, it's similar to Canada in a lot of ways, in particular the open spaces and the people. It's actually nice being part of two cultures.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: History:
    [QUOTE] But to break it down to it's core. The reason for Boston being what it is was Bill Russell.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]exactly worthy. Bill Russell was the greatest winner that had ever come into basketball at tha time, and somehow Red knew. I'm sure glad he was on our team and not yours. The man was a beast.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Also, the celtics weren't exactly a team of slow white guys. Not only did they have Russell, their core team for their epic 8 championship run featured Sam Jones, KC Jones, Satch Sanders, Heinsohn and Cousy with later Hondo added to the mix. That wasn't a slow team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

you are absolutely correct....I am going to put up a post regarding this subject in a few moments...

Sections
Shortcuts