Hmmm...sounds like a voice of reason...IMO...R9R should be traded...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

Hmmm...sounds like a voice of reason...IMO...R9R should be traded...

Boston Celtics: Four Reasons Rajon Rondo Should Be Traded Yahoo! Contributor Network Justin Haskins 3 hours ago BasketballBoston CelticsNational Basketball Association
    • Boston Celtics: Four Reasons Rajon Rondo Should Be Traded

View gallery

Rajon Rondo. Photo by Keith Allison.             

COMMENTARY | Boston Celtics All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo is one of the most entertaining players in the NBA. But now that the Celtics' chances of a championship in the near future are slim, the time to cut ties between Boston and Rondo has come. 

The following five reasons, in no particular order, outline the most important advantages to dealing one of the league's most enigmatic stars:

1. The Celtics have no chance of winning in the near future

After six seasons of competitive basketball, Boston is no longer a powerhouse team with a legitimate chance of winning a title. The Miami Heat, Indiana Pacers, Brooklyn Nets, New York Knicks and Chicago Bulls all are significantly better than the Celtics (and that's just in the Eastern Conference). If there is no chance of winning a title, it makes more sense to trade Rondo as he is coming into his prime so that Boston can get the most out of a deal for him without having to worry about jeopardizing its own season. 

2. Losing Rondo makes the Celtics one of the worst teams in the Eastern Conference

An entire season without Rondo will surely make Boston one of the worst teams in the NBA, which may very well be a positive spot for the Celtics to be in. Boston has nine first-round picks in the next five drafts, including three first-round picks from the Brooklyn Nets in 2014, 2016 and 2018, and another first-round pick from the Los Angeles Clippers in 2015 that they received for relinquishing rights to former coach Doc Rivers.

Unfortunately, because the Clippers and Nets are both teams on the rise, it's unlikely any of these picks, except possibly the 2018 pick, will be lower than the 20th spot in the draft.

The Celtics' best chance of getting a top spot in the draft will be from their own picks and is heavily dependent on the team's win-loss record. This actually presents an amazing problem for the Celtics: The better the team plays, the worse off the team will be in terms of the draft and rebuilding for the future. While it may upset some fans to hear it, the best decision the team could make for the future is to lose now in order to win later, a strategy that will likely only be successful without Rondo on the floor.

3. His contract is almost up

The more time left on Rondo's current contract, the more the Celtics can expect to get in return in trade. If Boston waits to make a deal too close to the end of 2014-2015 season, when his contract expires, then the team must also worry about finding a trade partner who can negotiate with Rondo over a new contract immediately. Trading Rondo now avoids this problem completely. 

Additionally, because Rondo's contract is back-loaded, which means his salary increases each season, it is actually easier to trade him this year when a team only has to worry about matching an $11.9 million salary compared to next season when the contract jumps to $12.9 million. This may seem like an insignificant difference, but the complexity of the NBA salary cap makes every penny count in trade talks. 

4. Rondo is not worth a max contract

The alternative to trading Rondo is signing him to a maximum salary contract over at least four seasons. As good as Rondo is, he is not worth that kind of financial commitment in a league where a few bad contracts can hinder a team's ability to make changes for several years.

Yes, Rondo makes everyone else on the floor better, he is capable of outstanding defense, and he creates offensive opportunities on fastbreaks better than anyone. But if he is given a maximum contract, he would likely be the worst scorer of any max-contract guard in recent memory. It cannot be understated: Giving a guard a maximum salary who has career averages of 11.1 points per game, a 3-point average of 24.1 percent and a career free-throw success rate of 62.1 percent would be unheard of and should be avoided at all costs.

Trading Rondo sets up the Celtics for the future

If Boston fails to trade Rondo in the near future, the trade rumors will persist, the team will be forced to either let him go to free agency in two seasons or pay him a max contract -- and the Celtics will miss out on an opportunity to bring in a key young player they would likely be able to attain in return for Rondo. It may not be easy for Boston's front office, but the right move for the organization going forward is to trade Rondo as soon as he can prove he is healthy. 

Don't agree with me? Tell me why I am wrong on Twitter @THATCelticsGuy or by e-mail at THATcelticsguy@gmail.com.

Justin Haskins is a New England native and a freelance journalist. He has been obsessively following Boston professional sports for 10 years and has been published in numerous online publications and websites.

Statistics provided by Basketball-reference.com and NBA.com.

Hey...discuss amongst yourselves...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

Re: Hmmm...sounds like a voice of reason...IMO...R9R should be traded...

In response to nyjetssuc's comment:

Boston Celtics: Four Reasons Rajon Rondo Should Be Traded Yahoo! Contributor Network Justin Haskins 3 hours ago BasketballBoston CelticsNational Basketball Association

• Boston Celtics: Four Reasons Rajon Rondo Should Be Traded

View gallery

Rajon Rondo. Photo by Keith Allison.             

COMMENTARY | Boston Celtics All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo is one of the most entertaining players in the NBA. But now that the Celtics' chances of a championship in the near future are slim, the time to cut ties between Boston and Rondo has come. 

The following five reasons, in no particular order, outline the most important advantages to dealing one of the league's most enigmatic stars:

1. The Celtics have no chance of winning in the near future

After six seasons of competitive basketball, Boston is no longer a powerhouse team with a legitimate chance of winning a title. The Miami Heat, Indiana Pacers, Brooklyn Nets, New York Knicks and Chicago Bulls all are significantly better than the Celtics (and that's just in the Eastern Conference). If there is no chance of winning a title, it makes more sense to trade Rondo as he is coming into his prime so that Boston can get the most out of a deal for him without having to worry about jeopardizing its own season. 

2. Losing Rondo makes the Celtics one of the worst teams in the Eastern Conference

An entire season without Rondo will surely make Boston one of the worst teams in the NBA, which may very well be a positive spot for the Celtics to be in. Boston has nine first-round picks in the next five drafts, including three first-round picks from the Brooklyn Nets in 2014, 2016 and 2018, and another first-round pick from the Los Angeles Clippers in 2015 that they received for relinquishing rights to former coach Doc Rivers.

Unfortunately, because the Clippers and Nets are both teams on the rise, it's unlikely any of these picks, except possibly the 2018 pick, will be lower than the 20th spot in the draft.

The Celtics' best chance of getting a top spot in the draft will be from their own picks and is heavily dependent on the team's win-loss record. This actually presents an amazing problem for the Celtics: The better the team plays, the worse off the team will be in terms of the draft and rebuilding for the future. While it may upset some fans to hear it, the best decision the team could make for the future is to lose now in order to win later, a strategy that will likely only be successful without Rondo on the floor.

3. His contract is almost up

The more time left on Rondo's current contract, the more the Celtics can expect to get in return in trade. If Boston waits to make a deal too close to the end of 2014-2015 season, when his contract expires, then the team must also worry about finding a trade partner who can negotiate with Rondo over a new contract immediately. Trading Rondo now avoids this problem completely. 

Additionally, because Rondo's contract is back-loaded, which means his salary increases each season, it is actually easier to trade him this year when a team only has to worry about matching an $11.9 million salary compared to next season when the contract jumps to $12.9 million. This may seem like an insignificant difference, but the complexity of the NBA salary cap makes every penny count in trade talks. 

4. Rondo is not worth a max contract

The alternative to trading Rondo is signing him to a maximum salary contract over at least four seasons. As good as Rondo is, he is not worth that kind of financial commitment in a league where a few bad contracts can hinder a team's ability to make changes for several years.

Yes, Rondo makes everyone else on the floor better, he is capable of outstanding defense, and he creates offensive opportunities on fastbreaks better than anyone. But if he is given a maximum contract, he would likely be the worst scorer of any max-contract guard in recent memory. It cannot be understated: Giving a guard a maximum salary who has career averages of 11.1 points per game, a 3-point average of 24.1 percent and a career free-throw success rate of 62.1 percent would be unheard of and should be avoided at all costs.

Trading Rondo sets up the Celtics for the future

If Boston fails to trade Rondo in the near future, the trade rumors will persist, the team will be forced to either let him go to free agency in two seasons or pay him a max contract -- and the Celtics will miss out on an opportunity to bring in a key young player they would likely be able to attain in return for Rondo. It may not be easy for Boston's front office, but the right move for the organization going forward is to trade Rondo as soon as he can prove he is healthy. 

Don't agree with me? Tell me why I am wrong on Twitter @THATCelticsGuy or by e-mail at THATcelticsguy@gmail.com.

Justin Haskins is a New England native and a freelance journalist. He has been obsessively following Boston professional sports for 10 years and has been published in numerous online publications and websites.

Statistics provided by Basketball-reference.com and NBA.com.

Hey...discuss amongst yourselves...

At first I thought you were another journalist troll but realized that you were just trying to promote your product and wrote this in good faith.

1. The Celtics have a 5 to 6+ year window to win 1-2 titles, (with RR).

2. RR (imo will be staying in Boston) and any draft picks the "C's" get will be 90% luck to really make an impact. We probably agree there.

3. I am a believer in RR..you know he would probably be quite content to spend the afternoon at the rink with some serious friends. Greed?? I bet not! I can see Rondo taking a contract extension or a performance based contract (not by any stretch a max contract unless he overwhelms the competition.) If anyone thinks RR is a selfish egotist ..did you see him play with that dislocated elbow? Between Sully, OK and Rondo I believe we have three players with some of  the higest bb IQs in the league..Why trade Sully ..he might really show us something in the near future. 5-6 years.

4.Rondo likes where he is, where he lives and has a really good chance of gelling with the new coach and players. He has a great bb IQ and while having a big ego is a team player.. bottom line. Max contract.. I doubt it judging from the one he has now unless he flat earns it.

5.  With smart draft picks combined with trades I see the Celtics being contenders in 3 years and doing well in the interim. 

BTW the Jets would probably love to sign RR to the quarterback position. THEY WOULDN'T EVEN NEED A COACH!

In the meantime I'll keep it on BDC!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Reson #2 above has never made sense to me.  IF Rondo was traded, we would logically get another elite player in return... so I doubt that by trading him, we would be considerably worse.  

The rest makes perfect sense.  

and I would add that Rondo is probably our only asset to trade for a quality Center.  A PG (and other positions) can be found in the draft.  We need to trade for a proven Center IMO.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Reson #2 above has never made sense to me.  IF Rondo was traded, we would logically get another elite player in return... so I doubt that by trading him, we would be considerably worse.  

and I would add that Rondo is probably our only asset to trade for a quality Center.  A PG (and other positions) can be found in the draft.  We need to trade for a proven Center IMO.

Unless other GM's believe that Rondo is elite only inside the Celtic bubble surrounded by future HOFers and coaches who allowed him to "do his thing" with little/no accountability. 

And maybe GMs reason that outside of that bubble, Rondo is much closer to the player who failed with 2010 Team USA... quit on them and went home rather than adapting to what coaches wanted out of him.

Therefore with so much baggage and such high maintenance, we have to date (drum roll please).... the Brandon Knight offer.... and not much more.

At best, he brings not an established quality player but draft pick(s).

Pud

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

Unless other GM's believe that Rondo is elite only inside the Celtic bubble surrounded by future HOFers and coaches who allowed him to "do his thing" with little/no accountability. 

And maybe GMs reason that outside of that bubble, Rondo is much closer to the player who failed with 2010 Team USA... quit on them and went home rather than adapting to what coaches wanted out of him.

Therefore with so much baggage and such high maintenance, we have to date (drum roll please).... the Brandon Knight offer.... and not much more.

Pud

Yup!  The confirmed Brandon Knight offer.  The same player that got traded for Brandon Jennings, a player that could not find takers any where else.  You do have a very unique set of glasses from which to view the world.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Stupidest thing I've read yet this offseason.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Number6Fan's comment:

Stupidest thing I've read yet this offseason.

Exactly!  Trade Rondo for a sandwich.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

The reason why you don't get reason #2 is because you're a Rondo hater.

HAHAHA

You write as if that's a bad thing.

If the C's probably won't make the playoffs for the next 2-3 yrs, why wait for Mr. May to shine?

I thought we were in tank mode anyway(you're the chief proponent). You probably vote against your own economic interests as well...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Sorry guys but, at this point you guys are just obsessed with the trade Rondo stuff. Humpty can be traded before Labor Day and Wallace can be traded 10 days later. No way DA is trading Rondo right now, not going to happen. I personally think Humptys contract has great value for a lot of teams now or, if need be, at the trade deadline. I think Humpty can put up decent stats but, isn't a good player and I think Wallace had a down year but, would be better to keep than Humpty.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Depends on the return. And the return better be pretty tasty. If teams are going to low-ball us (Detroit), then it's not worth trading him. We need to get equal talent in return. Besides, one thing that was not mentioned by Mr. Haskins was... who's going to help develope these young guys on the court during practice/gametime? Look how long it took Toine and Paul to become a threat in the east without a veteran guy/guys who's been there and done that on the court with them. We had Toine, PP, Kenny, Battie, and Mercer. All lottery picks, but no experience on the court to help them learn the pro game. That's very important, unless you have an impact talent right from the git-go, ala Lebron, Shaq, Bird, Hakeem, Magic, Russell, Jordan. If Rondo can become the leader we hope for, he's going to knock off years of long developement/preparation on these young'ns. Just like PP, KG, Ray, and Doc did for him. I think Rondo will be vital in teaching these kids how the NBA game is played. Who else are they going to learn it from? Not Brad Stevens. They need someone with elite NBA experience on the floor with them. I don't see J. Green being that guy. I just hope Rondo has the patience to be that guy.

And I have to agree. As of today, Rondo is not worth a max contract. But he's very close.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

4. Rondo is not worth a max contract - thank you for a dose of reality

Also, I dont think we'd get an elite player for Rondo,,, his baggage is well known in the league now.. as is his glaring weaknesses on defense, FT shooting and a couple other things...most importantly his attitude and high maintenence ego.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Pud

Be careful pud... youre getting dangerously close to hitting a nerve with the Rondo groupies. Posting facts and reasonable opinions just doesnt cut it around here....

Cant you just get on board and fantasize Rondo is GOAT even though Brandon Knight was the best offer we ever got for him???

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Pud

Be careful pud... youre getting dangerously close to hitting a nerve with the Rondo groupies. Posting facts and reasonable opinions just doesnt cut it around here....

Cant you just get on board and fantasize Rondo is GOAT even though Brandon Knight was the best offer we ever got for him???

Seriously?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Hi,

I think this Justin Haskins is in dire need for the NBA season to start to distract him from his anti-Rondo obsession or a good shrink.

In a span of less then 3 weeks he writes 2 articles (the first article http://sports.yahoo.com/news/five-reasons-rajon-rondo-nbas-most-overrated-star-220500698.html ) about how bad RR is and how good the Celtics would be without him. And both articles are mostly BS.

I think he should join BDC - he'd get quite a few supporters...

AK

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Of course this article conveniently overlooks that he isn't worth much of anything till he proves he can play again. Right now he's injured and can't be traded for Brian Scalabrine quality players. 

You may want to revisit this in a couple of months when he is actually playing..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Wow. A thread about Rondo.

Cool.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

Depends on the return. And the return better be pretty tasty. If teams are going to low-ball us (Detroit), then it's not worth trading him. We need to get equal talent in return. Besides, one thing that was not mentioned by Mr. Haskins was... who's going to help develope these young guys on the court during practice/gametime? Look how long it took Toine and Paul to become a threat in the east without a veteran guy/guys who's been there and done that on the court with them. We had Toine, PP, Kenny, Battie, and Mercer. All lottery picks, but no experience on the court to help them learn the pro game. That's very important, unless you have an impact talent right from the git-go, ala Lebron, Shaq, Bird, Hakeem, Magic, Russell, Jordan. If Rondo can become the leader we hope for, he's going to knock off years of long developement/preparation on these young'ns. Just like PP, KG, Ray, and Doc did for him. I think Rondo will be vital in teaching these kids how the NBA game is played. Who else are they going to learn it from? Not Brad Stevens. They need someone with elite NBA experience on the floor with them. I don't see J. Green being that guy. I just hope Rondo has the patience to be that guy.

And I have to agree. As of today, Rondo is not worth a max contract. But he's very close.

+1. You raise some valid points.  People seem to think that Sully, Oly and Brooks will just step in and excel.  All three will require significant development and experience first (at least 1-2 full seasons) and PP, Garnett and Terry will not be there to provide it.    

and I agree that Green isn't the guy and unfortuneately I don't think Rondo has the right attitude or leadership skills to provide it.  

So in addition to Rondo (who will naturally try to assert himself as the mentor and leader) and as crazy as it sounds, Bogans and Wallace will probably temporarily add significant value in that role.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

Wow. A thread about Rondo.

Cool.

Wait.....Who?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to tomobo's comment:

You write as if that's a bad thing.

If the C's probably won't make the playoffs for the next 2-3 yrs, why wait for Mr. May to shine?

I thought we were in tank mode anyway(you're the chief proponent). You probably vote against your own economic interests as well...

Celts only need to tank this season.

If Rondo doesn't play until January then the Celts will clearly NOT win many games.

And I've always said Ainge will trade Rondo for a top 5 lottery pick.

If you're expecting to get a player like Drummond or Cousins for Rondo, that's very unlikely.

So it's really not logical that the Celts will get an elite player for Rondo.

FUNGUS, you're   all over the map again. No surprise here.

Whenever you preface a sentence with "And I've always said...." you're talking about the last 48 to 72 hours at most.

Pud

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

The purpose of the remake is to get younger and better.

No need to trade Rondo.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts