Home Court Advantage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

Re: Home Court Advantage

Homecourt would be fantastic but it shouldn't come at the expense of being healthy for the playoffs.

This team so far has exceeded my expectations especially with all the injuries they've had. 

If we have a full healthy roster come April I really like our chances.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Way too early to concern ourselves with homecourt advantage. Just play each game and hope we don't get anymore injuries. It's going to be nip and tuck with Boston, Miami, LA, SA, Dallas and Orlando until April.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

hmmmmmm, I remember a year back when we were behind, everyone said homecourt no longer an advantage.
    where are we with this?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I agree.....look what this team can do when healthy...our starts the last 3 years...

29-3
    27-2
    27-7

83-12 .874%

not bad for an "old" team huh? ......and we didn't have all of the rotation playing...Perk, Baby, West....not in the lineup for periods during these starts!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Remember after a great start last year we then went 27-27 so I wouldn't even get worked up about looking at anything long term. This team is game to game, week to week.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

Yeah, not too shabby at all for a bunch of broken down old men.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

where are all the west coast trolls these days? ....not that I miss trolls.....but they sure are quiet....and you KNOW they are reading these threads....they just can't take any shots at us...especially considering both team's records against winning teams.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I'm with BiasLewis, let's not get ahead of ourselves.  We play Toronto tomorrow and I, for one, anticipate a letdown.  I am not saying we are going to lose but I anticipate somewhat of a letdown.  I would not be surprised if the game went down to the wire.

This team has shown us what they are capable of, greatness.  This team has also shown us they have a propensity to take an opponent lightly and lose games they shouldn't.  That is regardless of who is playing and who isn't.

We will lose some games that will leave us posters wondering "who was THAT team" but I am so secure knowing this team, regardless of who's playing, can beat anybody, anywhere.  That security is even stronger knowing that soon we will have KG returning as well as Delonte and Perkins.

These guys are really good and, more important, they KNOW what it takes.  Sometimes, it just seems like these guys "flashback" to game 7 and play with focus and purpose.

Rondo can't shoot, Ray is too old, Pierce is too slow and predictable, Shaq can't move, Nate is too streaky, JON is too injured, KG has tailed off, etc., etc., etc.  We are the Celtics and watch out, we're coming.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Great post Petey62!!

We have big wins and funky losses. I'm seeing a struggle against the Bulls on that back end of the back to back. Let's put Toronto away early and rest the legs but something tells me that's going to be hard to do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

i think it will be nip and tuck with boston and miami in the east

i think miami will eventually get homecourt because the celtics want to ensure their health late in the year and will give some guys more rest in anticipation of the playoffs coming

but it should be an interesting and fun ride

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Home Court Advantage:
    [QUOTE]Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Remember after a great start last year we then went 27-27 so I wouldn't even get worked up about looking at anything long term. This team is game to game, week to week.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

I don't think we will go into that type of funk again unless we have a ton of injuries to key guys.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]i think it will be nip and tuck with boston and miami in the east i think miami will eventually get homecourt because the celtics want to ensure their health late in the year and will give some guys more rest in anticipation of the playoffs coming but it should be an interesting and fun ride
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0[/QUOTE]

I think your right about nip and tuck.  Not sure about homecourt.  I think it really doesn't matter because I think Boston is too much form Miami in the playoffs no matter where they play.  Lebron's teams always do well in the regular season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

LOL I thought this thread was about officiating. It was terrible last night again. 

Home Court Advantage? What's that? Is that when you get home town calls? Hmm. Never seen it in Boston before.

All I want is even!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

DO WE REALLY NEED HOME COURT ADVANTAGE?  I DON'T THINK WE DO.

In my opinion, last year's road to the NBA Finals seemed like our easiest throughout the playoffs since the Big 3 got together.  I mean, we dispatched Miami easily and then eliminated Cleveland without much fanfare.  We then went up 3 - 0 against Orlando so that was essentially over.

And we won game 2 of the Finals (which gave US home court) and, IMO, having Perk in game 7 was more important that where the game was played.  So, IMO, having home court is moot.  I think with Perk, we win game 7.

So, I really don't know how important home court advantage is TO THIS TEAM.  Yeah, Orlando and Chicago and Miami are better but, then again, so are WE.  We are MUCH BETTER.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I think the C's will eventually get homecourt over Miami. Miami hasn't dealt with any injuries yet (except Haslem) and all teams go through them at some point. Let's see how Miami comes out this road stretch and the C's come out this home stretch. The lead could extend.

The C's still have their West coast swing but we're really 2 up on the head to head if it ends in a tie.

I don't think Orlando sustains their pace. Just my opinion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[QUOTE]I think the C's will eventually get homecourt over Miami. Miami hasn't dealt with any injuries yet (except Haslem) and all teams go through them at some point. Let's see how Miami comes out this road stretch and the C's come out this home stretch. The lead could extend. The C's still have their West coast swing but we're really 2 up on the head to head if it ends in a tie. I don't think Orlando sustains their pace. Just my opinion.
    mike miller also missed 30 plus games...and dwade has sat out 2 games thus far...

health is obviously a key but to forget about the celtics lack of health thus far isnt being entirely honest with yourself

agreed about orlando

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]I think the C's will eventually get homecourt over Miami. Miami hasn't dealt with any injuries yet (except Haslem) and all teams go through them at some point. Let's see how Miami comes out this road stretch and the C's come out this home stretch. The lead could extend. The C's still have their West coast swing but we're really 2 up on the head to head if it ends in a tie. I don't think Orlando sustains their pace. Just my opinion.

I agree with you that I think we will get HCA.  The reason is because right now, we have the best record in the East AND we haven't played ONE game yet with a full squad!!  First West, then JON, then Shaq, then West again, then KG.  And, oh yes, let's not forget Perk has been out all year.  I think when this team is 100 % healthy, we are as good and as deep as any team in the league.  Have to disagree with you about ORL, though.  I think they will pose as big a threat as the Heat before all is said and done.  Lastly, the best thing about having HCA is that the 2 teams from FL will have to slug it out before facing us.......that will be nice!! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Games 1, 2 and 7 of last year's finals were officiated inconsistently at best, and motive driven at worst case.

Games 1 & 2 were called so tightly that our bigs were in foul trouble very early. In game two, Kome was also in foul trouble, but the refs refused to give him that 6th foul.

The Celtics won game two and magically games 3, 4, 5, and 6 were  called like every other play-off game of 2010, until game seven.

Game seven? ... well If it had been in Boston It could have made the difference.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasB. Show EliasB's posts

Duke, your fellow C's fans are wisely urging you in essence not to count your chickens before they're hatched. The Lakers are still the team to beat - that's just the way it is regardless of their ups and downs - it comes with the territory. 

Cool 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]Games 1, 2 and 7 of last year's finals were officiated inconsistently at best, and motive driven at worst case. Games 1 & 2 were called so tightly that our bigs were in foul trouble very early. In game two, Kome was also in foul trouble, but the refs refused to give him that 6th foul. The Celtics won game two and magically games 3, 4, 5, and 6 were  called like every other play-off game of 2010, until game seven. Game seven? ... well If it had been in Boston It could have made the difference.
    Posted by TeamUmbutu[/QUOTE]

TeamUmbutu, I'm just not that observant to validate all of your conclusions with any degree of certainty.  The officiating wasn't the best during the Finals but I honestly cannot agree with your theory about WHY it was that way.  I just don't know about that.  I don't see proof of those allegations.

I tend to rely solely on what differences the players make on the court.  To me, if Perk plays in game seven regardless of how its officiated or the game being played at Staples or TD Garden, I believe the Celtics win.  Plain and simple, Perk plays, Celtics win.

I tend to eliminate all the conspiracies and point to the players.  I don't think each time the Celtics grabbed home court in last year's playoffs (Cleveland, Orlando and LA series), you can point to changes in the officiating to somewhat "even things out" for the remainder of those series.

Until the Finals, we pretty much had an easy go of the playoffs even as the 4th seed.  I think that proves that we did not need home court.  And if game 7 boiled down to some mysterious calls favoring the Lakers, which it did not, I'd then lend some credence to your theory.

I just don't think having home court really mattered last year.  Again, this year Miami and Orlando seem better (which come playoff time I don't think they will be) but we ARE BETTER.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I'm still ticked about that entire series. Here are the things I'll never forget.

The Fisher breakout layup at the Garden killed us and sent it back to LA.

Kobe shoots 4-26 and we lose!!

KG's 3 rebounds and Gasol dominating him in game 7. I bet KG hasn't forgot about it either and he's been boarding like it's 1994 this year.

If Perk plays the entire game 6 we may get out of there with a win but definately game 7.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Here's the main reason I want HCA..so I can watch more games played in Boston and listen to our fans goin wild.  Other than that, I dont really care. 

HCA is prob not what it once was in the playoffs... and theres something that trumps all this HCA anyway... and thats the freakin refs.... who can and do turn a game in a blink 

Now, if best record meant the Sterns biased refs were on our side...thats a different story.. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

In the 90's the Rockets won a title as a 6 seed and swept the finals.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Home Court Advantage : TeamUmbutu, I'm just not that observant to validate all of your conclusions with any degree of certainty.  The officiating wasn't the best during the Finals but I honestly cannot agree with your theory about WHY it was that way.  I just don't know about that.  I don't see proof of those allegations. I tend to rely solely on what differences the players make on the court.  To me, if Perk plays in game seven regardless of how its officiated or the game being played at Staples or TD Garden, I believe the Celtics win.  Plain and simple, Perk plays, Celtics win. I tend to eliminate all the conspiracies and point to the players.  I don't think each time the Celtics grabbed home court in last year's playoffs (Cleveland, Orlando and LA series), you can point to changes in the officiating to somewhat "even things out" for the remainder of those series. Until the Finals, we pretty much had an easy go of the playoffs even as the 4th seed.  I think that proves that we did not need home court.  And if game 7 boiled down to some mysterious calls favoring the Lakers, which it did not, I'd then lend some credence to your theory. I just don't think having home court really mattered last year.  Again, this year Miami and Orlando seem better (which come playoff time I don't think they will be) but we ARE BETTER.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Petey,
    I  have to disagree with you.  The facts are these:  last years champs were 11-1 at home during the playoffs, 5-6 on the road.  I don't think there is a conspiracy, but since the 70's, the Home Team has won in the playoffs 70% of the time in this league.  That is something that cannot be ignored.  I'll go a step further:  IF the Celtics had to play a Game 7 in Cleveland or Orlando we would have lost!!  That is just the way it goes in the NBA.  We ARE better this year, so let's prove it.  In 2009, we lost a Game 7 at home.  We ran out of gas without our leader (not making excuses, just stating what happened).  That will not happen this year, we are better and deeper.  ORL or MIA will NOT win a Game 7 in BOS, nor will the lakers.  I really think all these games count and we need to win as many as possible to ENsure HCA!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Pete, games one and two were called extremely close. They were unlike any other games in any of the play-offs in which the Celtics played. Normally, referees let the players play more in the play-offs, as was true of each of the previous series. 

While I will not a suggest a possible explanation or speculate as to why it happened, it does concern me. Under such circumstances, does a closely called game favor an offensive team, or a defensive team?

Sections
Shortcuts