How Danny Failed to Build a Competitive Team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

How Danny Failed to Build a Competitive Team

Since Danny could not pull off a deal to bring in an impact player, like Josh Smith, who could provide rebounding and scoring, he basically did nothing.  

For a much needed dependable scorer, he brought in an inconsistent and individual baller in Crawford.  AS it turns out, Crawford, like Terry, is not a dependable scorer and is otherwise disruptive to the offense team flow.  Swing and a miss.  We still lack sufficient scoring.  But at least he tried.

Even with a weak offense, the Celtics could have been competitive if Danny had acquired someone...anyone to grab some rebounds.  Very few teams, other than Miami who has a super charged offense, can consistently win when they give up a 10-20 rebound differential per game.  To not strengthen our ability to close that rebound deficiency as the highest priority, must do, even if it required giving up too much, was imo, incompetent.  

I don't believe that this team can even reach the second round of the playoffs no matter who they play.  Our guards can't score consistently (Rondo doesn't solve this problem) and our front court can't rebound... ever.  Hopefully Sully will narrow the rebounding gap next year, but we still need more presense underneath.  

Bottom line - Danny gave up on the Celtics and the fans this year.  One of the biggest Cellics managmnt bunders in recent memory will hurt us for years to come. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: How Danny Failed to Build a Competitive Team

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Since Danny could not pull off a deal to bring in an impact player, like Josh Smith, who could provide rebounding and scoring, he basically did nothing.  

For a much needed dependable scorer, he brought in an inconsistent and individual baller in Crawford.  AS it turns out, Crawford, like Terry, is not a dependable scorer and is otherwise disruptive to the offense team flow.  Swing and a miss.  We still lack sufficient scoring.  But at least he tried.

Even with a weak offense, the Celtics could have been competitive if Danny had acquired someone...anyone to grab some rebounds.  Very few teams, other than Miami who has a super charged offense, can consistently win when they give up a 10-20 rebound differential per game.  To not strengthen our ability to close that rebound deficiency as the highest priority, must do, even if it required giving up too much, was imo, incompetent.  

I don't believe that this team can even reach the second round of the playoffs no matter who they play.  Our guards can't score consistently (Rondo doesn't solve this problem) and our front court can't rebound... ever.  Hopefully Sully will narrow the rebounding gap next year, but we still need more presense underneath.  

Bottom line - Danny gave up on the Celtics and the fans this year.  One of the biggest Cellics managmnt bunders in recent memory will hurt us for years to come. 

Disagree - he was ready to move KG to LA for Jordan and Bledsoe, but KG reneged on the deal.  He then would have sent Pierce to ATL for Smith (possibly).  Other than that, we didn't have a lot of "chips" to trade.

He did NOT give up on the team, that is just silly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

he understands 

A. KG and Paul still have a little lest, and with a little luck can make a decent playoff run

B. KG almost certainly, and maybe PP as well, will retire after the season and their money comes off the books

C. A young core of Rondo, Avery Bradley, Jeff Green and Jared Sullinger is alot to build with.

we arent in the trouble that people seem to suggest. We are actually in pretty good shape.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to JamezHill24's comment:

he understands 

A. KG and Paul still have a little lest, and with a little luck can make a decent playoff run

B. KG almost certainly, and maybe PP as well, will retire after the season and their money comes off the books

C. A young core of Rondo, Avery Bradley, Jeff Green and Jared Sullinger is alot to build with.

we arent in the trouble that people seem to suggest. We are actually in pretty good shape.

I don't think their salaries come off the books...........

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

he understands 

I don't think their salaries come off the books...........

i was under the impression that if they formally announced retirement by a certain date, their salaries came off? no?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Disagree - he was ready to move KG to LA for Jordan and Bledsoe, but KG reneged on the deal.  He then would have sent Pierce to ATL for Smith (possibly).  Other than that, we didn't have a lot of "chips" to trade.

For all those who feel Josh Smith would lead to future Celtic greatness.  Respectfully you are just as wrong as can be.  He is not that good and will only take a team to the heights of the Atlanta Hawks.

If that satisfies you just follow him to the next mediocre team he plays for.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

For all those who feel Josh Smith would lead to future Celtic greatness.  Respectfully you are just as wrong as can be.  He is not that good and will only take a team to the heights of the Atlanta Hawks.

Not saying I wanted the guy.  Just saying that was being discussed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

It is not as easy as in the espn trade machine:

The other team must be willing to give up a player as well. It us not enough that we want the player. And don't come up with this: "Look at the great player team xyz picked up and we missed". In 90 % of this situations we overreact to a few nice games in the highlights and miss about the 80 bad games of this player. Danny got us Sully and Barbosa this year, unfortuantely both got injured. Bad luck...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

Not saying I wanted the guy.  Just saying that was being discussed.

I know you weren't.  I just wanted to say how I have not seen anything in that guy that says he will bring a championship to Boston if he plays here.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Ok, forget about trading KG & PP which did not materialize and the many posts about trading Rondo for a Big Man, Cousins & then get Evans too.

But, why we did not go after Kenyon Martin, Knicks,  who got 19 points and 11 rebounds  the other night and we continue to being outrebounded most of the time.  Wasn't he available for us to pick up ??? With him, I'd felt more confident going into the playoffs especially if we face the Heat as Kenyon is a banger when LeBon & Wade drive to the basket & would give us maybe 10 rebs per game.

I know, Bad "D", not making foul shots, poor shooting %, turnovers too but if you get 10+ rebs you get 2nd chances and that's what the Lakers will do with Howard & Gasol. Yup, they ain't gonna beat OKC, Spurs, Grizzles etc. and I hope they don't even make the playoffs but I don't know whom we can beat. I am despondent with this team...fortunately, the NCAA tournament is providing some excitement.

We need Rondo & Sully back next year and need draft 2 big men...don't know who we can trade to get an established BIG MAN without trading Rondo. Nobody will want the rest of our garbage except Green/Bradley perhaps. It's a catch 22 !!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Waiting for this type of post. We loose a couple of games in a row and suddenly DA, Bradly, Terry, Crawford end up as bums. Nah, DA's doen and outstanding job developing a team thats plays hard and is in every game they play. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

Ok, forget about trading KG & PP which did not materialize and the many posts about trading Rondo for a Big Man, Cousins & then get Evans too.

But, why we did not go after Kenyon Martin, Knicks,  who got 19 points and 11 rebounds  the other night and we continue to being outrebounded most of the time.  Wasn't he available for us to pick up ??? With him, I'd felt more confident going into the playoffs especially if we face the Heat as Kenyon is a banger when LeBon & Wade drive to the basket & would give us maybe 10 rebs per game.

I know, Bad "D", not making foul shots, poor shooting %, turnovers too but if you get 10+ rebs you get 2nd chances and that's what the Lakers will do with Howard & Gasol. Yup, they ain't gonna beat OKC, Spurs, Grizzles etc. and I hope they don't even make the playoffs but I don't know whom we can beat. I am despondent with this team...fortunately, the NCAA tournament is providing some excitement.

We need Rondo & Sully back next year and need draft 2 big men...don't know who we can trade to get an established BIG MAN without trading Rondo. Nobody will want the rest of our garbage except Green/Bradley perhaps. It's a catch 22 !!!

Because Kenyon Martin is a knuclehead who has thrown every coach he has ever played for under the bus.

He's had ONE good game since he joined the Knicks...............geez!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

Danny had his hand tied up.Over the salary cap,no players with trade values, lots of injuries,overrated coach.Lets hope things will get better next year.I believe he gave too much power to Doc.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Weird. Blame Rondo if we don't a title this year. Oh wait he is out. Now we will blame Danny if we don't win a title. No? How about Doc. Yeah we will blame doc. We should win a title every year. 

Danny made the best moves availible. It makes no sense to give KG or Pierce away for nothing (What was offered) and there wern't any good big men availible at a reasonable price. 

Danny has done a great job. Remeber we could be the lakers. Overpriced talent and no draft picks. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

one OR two more loses --- BRING RONDO BACK WILL ECHO!

BOSTON SPORTCASTERS BOUGHT THE "RONDO'S FAULT" TOO! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to damfuno's comment:

he understands 

I wish I was as confident as you with AB and RR........basically we could potentially have great ball pressure if RR buys into defense in the regular season but offensively they would kill us....neither can shoot with any kind of consistency......in the last 5 games AB is shooting 28% and Rondo from the outside isn;t much better therefore opposing defenses would be playing 5 on 3 and who would be out go to guy.........JG?????  Sully????? our core is not as good as you think

bingo

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

agreed.............but once PP and KG retire we are in bad shape.........not even a prospect of a go to guy and in order for a championship you need go have two bonafide go tos and another who could go off any night..........I see maybe the latter with what we have now

Not just in bad shape, in bad shape the worst way!

Its prob gonna get real ugly..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

agreed.............but once PP and KG retire we are in bad shape.........not even a prospect of a go to guy and in order for a championship you need go have two bonafide go tos and another who could go off any night..........I see maybe the latter with what we have now

Great insight. even three of the six words you used were spelled correctly.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

In response to Karllost's comment:

Great insight. even three of the six words you used were spelled correctly.

Hey, man, I thought I was the grammar police....ha ha

Sections
Shortcuts