How Dos JON still get A Gig

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

How Dos JON still get A Gig

He's on with GSW now. Amazing. I know he had a 'breakout year' with the terrible Suns of 8pts & 5rbs (!?) but man oh man it's amazing he still finds takers. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: How Dos JON still get A Gig

they think he will return to yestayear.......we were guilty of it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

We sure were. And I don't think he brought anything to the locker-room. Sulky kinda dude with a chip on his shoulder. And PP structured his deal so we could make a play to pay for this guy. Phew. Best of luck to ya GSW

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

time for him to retire.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregCelts. Show GregCelts's posts

He actually learned the magic of diet and proper conditionning in Phoenix.  The guy was talented but so lazy.  Injuries happen to those that don't take care of their bodies.  He was playing on one leg for a while. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

"we" being DANNY and DOC were guilty of turning this guy into a stiff.  go back and look at non-elite big men who came into the league at age 18- they basically have their skills drift away from them about age 32.  and so it was with JerLame O'Neal.  but dannydoc accelerated that greatly but CUTTING HIM OUT of all scrimmage "LOOKS" (sounds innocuous but very important) on offense because O'neal was to be a "role player" for us.

not only is such a move (same thing they did with bass- BANNED HIM 100% from the post) CONFUSING to a player but terrible for their in game rhythm.  so the J. O'neal that we saw, the one who fired greg kite airballs from 6 feet- the 6 foot baseline shot is actually a very tough shot to make- you have to stay in practice.  O'neal looked terrible for us most of the time he was healthy becaues he never got any looks in scrimmage.  and then when it came time for games, they were GIVING HIM LOOKS that he was not ready for...

a lot of people will saw this is bullcrap but as someone who played a lot of ball for many years, practice and repetition are everything, especially once you are oft-injured and aging.  they cut o'neal's scrimmage role to blocking shots and rebounding and his offense was never the worse to show for it for BOS.  so with phoenix he actually looked like a player- could hit his small array of shots with GOOD efficiency.

the tale of the tape is PER MINUTE- everything O'neal did in PHO was far above what he did per minute here- rebounds and blocks too, not just points.  and FG% goes UP UP UP on a bad team?  really?  his FG% in BOS should have been 60% but it wasn't because he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

GS is going to use O'neal for 2nd or 3rd string center.  he might see 12 to 14 mins a night- they don't expect anything great out of him, just some minutes

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

read this and then realize that we deserved every 6-8 foot baseline airball that we got from JON

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2012/07/jermaine_oneal_6.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

read this and then realize that we deserved every 6-8 foot baseline airball that we got from JON

So it was DOCs fault as well that JON did not channeled his inner Dirk and worked on his shooting? Really? Why didn't he just took a ball and went to the gym? Doc didn't allow that?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Gasthoerer's comment:

[/QUOTE]

So it was DOCs fault as well that JON did not channeled his inner Dirk and worked on his shooting? Really? Why didn't he just took a ball and went to the gym? Doc didn't allow that?

[/QUOTE]

obviously you don't play much ball.  there is a difference between shooting in an empty gym and shooting under full scrimmage situation- which is as close to a real game as you get.  if you let that full scrimmage situation practice atrophy then the whole game is going to slide downhill.

especially with someone like JerLame O'neal who has already been hurt off and on and is starting to look more like a bowl of jello than a ball player.  it's just one of those things (JUST LIKE with brandon bass- BANISHING him from ANY touches in the post) that is a NO-NO in basketball.  with both players- o'neal and bass it told them "they weren't good enough" and also HAMPERED the skill set that the team may well freakin need at some point-----

like at the point where KG dishes the ball to JON and he's airmailing 8 foot J's that used to be automatic and clanging dunk drives in traffic that used to be automatic because his timing is off from not practicing that move in traffic.  we literally had to watch JON get his IN SCRIMMAGE PRACTICE during the #@#@#@$%^$%@#!#@!@%$ regular season games.....  it was maddening to watch such inexplicable incompetence- i spat up food on my shirt at least twice it was so outrageous.  but given that the article came out where o'neal stated his "role" with the team pertaining scrimmages, it made perfect sense.  you don't do that to an aging veteran with skillls, ESPECIALLY one with injury history and ongoing injury issues- it just is going to make them take FOREVER to get their touch back.  i'm not sure how anyone can't understand how that works.  shooting in empty gym does not equal shooting in full scrimmage.  right?

it's (the ongoing bumbling talent NON-management issue of doc rivers) really JUST LIKE how the TEAM actually DID NEED bass to be down in the post now and then (not 10 touches a night but sometimes!), BOTH for the sake of offensive variety for the team and for the sake of bass' own confidence.  likewise the decision to blank JON out of all scrimmage touches on OFFENSE was a STUPID talent management decision.  if JON was greg kite and you literally never counted on him for anything on offense but a put back then that's one thing, but the guy was and is more than greg kite on offense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

In response to Gasthoerer's comment:

[/QUOTE]

obviously you don't play much ball.  there is a difference between shooting in an empty gym and shooting under full scrimmage situation- which is as close to a real game as you get.  if you let that full scrimmage situation practice atrophy then the whole game is going to slide downhill.

especially with someone like JerLame O'neal who has already been hurt off and on and is starting to look more like a bowl of jello than a ball player.  it's just one of those things (JUST LIKE with brandon bass- BANISHING him from ANY touches in the post) that is a NO-NO in basketball.  with both players- o'neal and bass it told them "they weren't good enough" and also HAMPERED the skill set that the team may well freakin need at some point-----

like at the point where KG dishes the ball to JON and he's airmailing 8 foot J's that used to be automatic and clanging dunk drives in traffic that used to be automatic because his timing is off from not practicing that move in traffic.  we literally had to watch JON get his IN SCRIMMAGE PRACTICE during the #@#@#@$%^$%@#!#@!@%$ regular season games.....  it was maddening to watch such inexplicable incompetence- i spat up food on my shirt at least twice it was so outrageous.  but given that the article came out where o'neal stated his "role" with the team pertaining scrimmages, it made perfect sense.  you don't do that to an aging veteran with skillls, ESPECIALLY one with injury history and ongoing injury issues- it just is going to make them take FOREVER to get their touch back.  i'm not sure how anyone can't understand how that works.  shooting in empty gym does not equal shooting in full scrimmage.  right?

it's (the ongoing bumbling talent NON-management issue of doc rivers) really JUST LIKE how the TEAM actually DID NEED bass to be down in the post now and then (not 10 touches a night but sometimes!), BOTH for the sake of offensive variety for the team and for the sake of bass' own confidence.  likewise the decision to blank JON out of all scrimmage touches on OFFENSE was a STUPID talent management decision.  if JON was greg kite and you literally never counted on him for anything on offense but a put back then that's one thing, but the guy was and is more than greg kite on offense.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not a Doc critic but i thoroughly agree with that one! I couldn't understand why Doc used to say that JON is here for his defense (exclusively!). When we're talking about someone like Perk, Andersen, Camby etc i'd say "yes, of course!". But JON is a skilled big man (albeit he's lazy and he deserves his nickname "JerLame") and he was a capable scoring threat. Unfortunately, not in Doc's universe.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

obviously you don't play much ball.  there is a difference between shooting in an empty gym and shooting under full scrimmage situation- which is as close to a real game as you get. 

Obviously that (Doc) topic is very personal for you. I do play a lot of ball, but actually I have better reference than me: Ray and Dirk use the gym approach quite succesfully. Open baseline jumpers are very easy to practise alone. Dirk even practises his one legged fadeaway with a personal coach. JON could (actually SHOULD) have done the same.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Doc mishandled yet another player on the Celtics and basically made him worth 1/2 what he should have been. Not only did Doc destroy JONs confidence and offensive effectiveness... he allowed oppponents to ignore JON offensively to concentrate on the other 3... they were already ignoring Rondo.

Just imagine announcing publicly that in effect, JON was not going to get touches on the offensive end... wasnt that a stroke of genius by DOc?

Then JON fled Boston, went to Phx and voila... became twice the player he was for the Celtics. It disgusts me that this phony DOc Rivers is thought to be a great coach... trust me he's not even a good one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Doc mishandled yet another player on the Celtics and basically made him worth 1/2 what he should have been. Not only did Doc destroy JONs confidence and offensive effectiveness... he allowed oppponents to ignore JON offensively to concentrate on the other 3... they were already ignoring Rondo.

Just imagine announcing publicly that in effect, JON was not going to get touches on the offensive end... wasnt that a stroke of genius by DOc?

Then JON fled Boston, went to Phx and voila... became twice the player he was for the Celtics. It disgusts me that this phony DOc Rivers is thought to be a great coach... trust me he's not even a good one.

You may be right about Jon.  He did have a much better season with Phoenix.  It will be interesting to see how much he contributes next season. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to johconn's comment:

[QUOTE]

We sure were. And I don't think he brought anything to the locker-room. Sulky kinda dude with a chip on his shoulder. And PP structured his deal so we could make a play to pay for this guy. Phew. Best of luck to ya GSW

[/QUOTE]

And for PP's generosity and dedication to the Celtics organization, he was traded.  Just because Ainge has acquired some first round picks doesn't alter the fact that he was determined to trade a career-long Celtics player out of spite, and that maybe, just maybe, standing pat after winning in 2008 was his biggest blunder.  He could have been working toward the future but couldn't see any farther ahead than season by season.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jsmith54. Show Jsmith54's posts

so all of you are saying JO isnt a good 3rd center/veteran role model? GS has bogut ezili both centers....if JO gives the warriors so much as even 7 ppg 4 rpg thats good contribution from a guy who esentially is your 3rd string center/ veteran locker room presence who really could be even better this year than last considering he had more of the same treatment done on his kness that kobe did. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Same reason melo is in the leauge, size.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to Jsmith54's comment:

so all of you are saying JO isnt a good 3rd center/veteran role model? GS has bogut ezili both centers....if JO gives the warriors so much as even 7 ppg 4 rpg thats good contribution from a guy who esentially is your 3rd string center/ veteran locker room presence who really could be even better this year than last considering he had more of the same treatment done on his kness that kobe did. 

7 ppg and 4 rpg from a 3rd string center is tremendous but would be a fantasy. Third string centers usually dont play but JON, if healthy with an adequate coach, would be great in that role and as an insurance policy for injury. He may x put those numbers up or better occassionally..

Sections
Shortcuts