How Fab can Melo be? Projecting the Boston Celtics' project player

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

How Fab can Melo be? Projecting the Boston Celtics' project player

How Fab can Melo be? Projecting the Boston Celtics' project player

By Jeff Clark on May 13 2013, 9:50p @celticsblog

USA TODAY Sports

Larry Bird isn't walking through that door. Kevin McHale isn't walking through that door. Fab Melo just walked into a door!

He's big, he's goofy, and he's as raw as they come. But he's our big goofball and he's our project. So how does he... project out?

We don't know much since we've really only seen him in summer league and a few garbage time games wearing a Celtics jersey. He's fared a lot better playing in Maine. This quick summary comes from CelticsTown's Exit Interviews series.

Your humorous exploits aside, you did make considerable strides in the D-League for a (relatively) new basketball player. In late December you set the D-League record for blocks in a game amidst a monster 15 point, 16 rebound, 14 block triple double. You were named to NBA D-League All-Rookie First team and (more importantly) the All-Defensive First Team as well. The real test will come this summer when you’ll have an opportunity to make a case for yourself during Summer League. Until then, keep practicing that jump shot and watch out for those sneaky doorways.

As far as I'm concerned this guy is all upside. I'm simultaneously optimistic about his future and completely not counting on anything from him. It is no lose for me.

You could argue that he was a waste of a first round pick. I say you have to remember the situation. We had two back-to-back picks and Jared Sullinger had just fallen into our laps at 21. Remove his back issues and he would have been a top 5 pick (and hopefully those back issues were removed with his surgery). So they could afford to take a flyer on a guy that was low risk, high reward at 22.

The guys they passed on? A number of people wanted to pick Perry Jones III or Arnette Moultrie. Or perhaps a backup point guard (Wroten Jr. or Teague) would have been more to some people's taste. Or maybe another project big man (Ezeli)?

Here are some quick stats for comparison sake.

FG 3PT FT REBOUNDS MISC   G M M A PCT M A PCT M A PCT OFF DEF TOT AST TO STL BLK PF PPG 2012 -Fab Melo 6 5.8 0.5 1.0 50.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.2 0.7 25.0 0.0 0.5 0.5 0.0 0.2 0.3 0.3 1.2 1.2

FG 3PT FT REBOUNDS MISC   G M M A PCT M A PCT M A PCT OFF DEF TOT AST TO STL BLK PF PPG 2012 -Jared Sullinger 45 19.8 2.5 5.0 49.3 0.0 0.1 20.0 1.0 1.4 74.6 2.0 3.8 5.9 0.8 0.6 0.5 0.5 3.4 6.0

FG 3PT FT REBOUNDS MISC   G M M A PCT M A PCT M A PCT OFF DEF TOT AST TO STL BLK PF PPG 2012 -Perry Jones III 38 7.3 1.0 2.6 39.4 0.0 0.1 0.0 0.3 0.4 66.7 0.3 1.3 1.6 0.3 0.4 0.1 0.2 0.6 2.3

FG 3PT FT REBOUNDS MISC   G M M A PCT M A PCT M A PCT OFF DEF TOT AST TO STL BLK PF PPG 2012 -Arnett Moultrie 47 11.5 1.7 2.9 58.2 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.4 0.6 64.3 1.6 1.5 3.1 0.2 0.4 0.4 0.2 0.9 3.7

FG 3PT FT REBOUNDS MISC   G M M A PCT M A PCT M A PCT OFF DEF TOT AST TO STL BLK PF PPG 2012 -Tony Wroten 35 7.7 0.9 2.5 38.4 0.1 0.5 25.0 0.6 0.8 72.4 0.4 0.4 0.8 1.2 0.8 0.2 0.1 1.0 2.6

FG 3PT FT REBOUNDS MISC   G M M A PCT M A PCT M A PCT OFF DEF TOT AST TO STL BLK PF PPG 2012 -Marquis Teague 48 8.1 0.9 2.4 38.1 0.1 0.5 17.4 0.2 0.3 56.3 0.1 0.9 0.9 1.3 0.7 0.2 0.1 1.0 2.1

FG 3PT FT REBOUNDS MISC   G M M A PCT M A PCT M A PCT OFF DEF TOT AST TO STL BLK PF PPG 2012 -Festus Ezeli 78 14.4 0.9 2.2 43.8 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.6 1.0 53.1 1.8 2.2 4.0 0.3 0.8 0.3 0.9 2.0 2.4

I'll admit I'm no scout, but at first blush it doesn't seem like we missed out on anyone here. Sure, they all have better numbers than Fab, but none of them won Defensive Player of the Year in the D-League now did they?

I guess the point is that when you draft in the 20's, you take your chances. Ainge rolled the dice and he might lose this bet, but it didn't cost him much and it probably has a higher potential payout than the other long shot bets he could have made.

So what do you expect from Fab next year? Will he be playing minutes for the Celtics? Will he still be learning in the D-League? Or will he be jettisoned as trade fodder or a cap saving move?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: How Fab can Melo be? Projecting the Boston Celtics' project player

Fab showed how good he could be in a couple of D-League games thiis past season! He appeared to play much better with pass first point guards, versus scoring PGs! 

I hope the Cs continue to develop Melo for a few more years! I really hope he evolves into a quality NBA player! 

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

phew, that is one goofy lookin' mug. clark says next step is to show us something this summer, so that's what we be expectin' there, fab. bcsp, you've been paying close attention - does that defensive player of the year honor include any evidence of a mean streak? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Guys that can play zone D, and Swat shots are always in demand..Not saying he will be superstar, but upside is still high...although more limited...Did any of the others post anything close to these nos...in the second toughest bball.. league...??He just does'nt have the exprerience to draw on..

Basketball IQ needs to improve..

He will contribute next year...

15 point, 16 rebound, 14 block triple double.

You cannot discount this as an aberration as he was on a roll for a while..

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:

phew, that is one goofy lookin' mug. clark says next step is to show us something this summer, so that's what we be expectin' there, fab. bcsp, you've been paying close attention - does that defensive player of the year honor include any evidence of a mean streak? 

As far as a mean streak, I cant say either way! I can say he appeared to play better when he saw the ball! 

The problem with attempting to develop a big in D-League is everybody on the floor is playing for a 10-day contract! No one passes the ball, and excuted plays are as non existent as a packed arena!

I agree with the author of the article above, summer league will tell us allot about Fab Melo! I want to see him play in an offense with a bit more structure! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

The Celts drafted Fab Melo as a 2 to 3-year project. Give him 2 to 3 years.

+ 1 Let's see how Fab looks later this year! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

From the archives:

Fab Melo Shines in Developmental League 141 days ago by Rob Lunder 0 2 3 0  Share10 

Boston Celtics, Fab Melo

Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

Boston Celtics draft pick Fab Melo is playing really well lately for the Maine Red Claws of the NBA’s developmental league and certainly appears close to being recalled to the big club.  He is fresh off a monster performance that saw him produce a triple double, including blocking more than ten shots in the game.  He is a legitimate seven footer and would certainly appear capable of at least filling the minutes that Jason Collins is currently providing.

Is Melo ready to contribute for the Celtics?  It appears that he needs more time.  He certainly does not have the highest basketball IQ and would simply be an extra five fouls to the current roster.  In the summer league, he was often seen air mailing passes into the stands and if there were ever a guy that would accidentally run out of the gym into the parking lot and outside of the arena during a game, it would be Melo.

This is not a knock on Melo because I am sure he is a decent guy, he just does not seem ready for the speed of the game.  That is fine because it would be difficult for him to get a lot of minutes right now anyway.  Kevin Garnett, Jeff GreenJared Sullinger, andBrandon Bass are all locked into the front court right now and the team is fresh off of signing Jarvis Varnardo, a developmental league standout who appears to be more ready than Melo is at this current juncture.

Melo certainly appears to be making progress and he could be recalled to the Celtics at some point before the season concludes.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2012/12/24/fab-melo-shines-in-developmental-league/?lCtO4JJAQ2pxO2h2.99 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I think Melo has revealed the kind of player he is and will become.  He makes Perkins seem like a skill player.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

I think Melo has revealed the kind of player he is and will become.  He makes Perkins seem like a skill player.

Melo has been playing basketball for a total of 6-years! Let him develop! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Hey I hope you are right!

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I try to keep Melo unless he is required in a tasty trade.  He is raw and needs to develop footwork, court sense and basic skills.  Year after next, he'll be an adequate backup on the Celtics and will develop into a starter and better all around player than Perkins in three more years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

Guys that can play zone D, and Swat shots are always in demand..Not saying he will be superstar, but upside is still high...although more limited...Did any of the others post anything close to these nos...in the second toughest bball.. league...??He just does'nt have the exprerience to draw on..

Basketball IQ needs to improve..

He will contribute next year...

15 point, 16 rebound, 14 block triple double.

You cannot discount this as an aberration as he was on a roll for a while..

+1.  I am not a Melo basher.  I think that he will become a really good player in the league.  Just look at Marc Gasol's development.

What do I base this on?  He will need Doc's attention.  He was asked to play in the current Celtics system that was built with no big man in mind.  That means that the big man would have to excel playing like a little man.  Fab will not be there any time soon.

He has looked slow, out of place, etc.  But I remember one sequence when the Celts got the defensive rebound and Fab started running up court.  Barbosa had a brain fa*t and threw the ball forward to him a couple of steps before the half court line.  The big man was surprised like anything but was able to gather himself, gather the ball, stop and not create a turnover.

That makes me believe that Fab is not dumb.  So we have a very big man, that is not dumb, and has very little basketball experience.  Worth being hopeful about.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to prakash's comment:

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

What do I base this on?  He will need Doc's attention.  He was asked to play in the current Celtics system that was built with no big man in mind.  That means that the big man would have to excel playing like a little man.  Fab will not be there any time soon.

Do you mean a doctor or Doc Rivers? Cause if you meant a doctor, you may have a point. 

In the extreme unlikelihood you meant Doc Rivers....well, what gives you that idea? Have you noticed the revolving door of bigs either Doc hasnt develop or they cant stand playing for him?

In all seriousness, what big has Doc developed? 

What about what you said... the Celtic system is built with no big man in mind... if thats the case my guess is only DOc would develop such a system in the NBA...

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

Whoa there.  He's more athletic than Perkins, taller and gets to more shots for blocks, and he can move up and down the court.  If he's raw, he's raw, but that doesn't portend failure or a comparison to one of the more limited starting centers in the league.  Let's not forget how much playing next to KG helped him look better than he is.  Perkins can glare, pout, and get defensive rebounds.  Melo may surpass that particular skill set next week.