How Fab can Melo be? Projecting the Boston Celtics' project player

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Re: How Fab can Melo be? Projecting the Boston Celtics' project player

Melo lacks basketball instinct because he didn't play growing up. For example, his defensive pick and roll switching is slow to non-existent as he doesn't seem to see the obvious play developing the way someone who grew up playing hoops would. The good news is that in college he made substantial progress in his game; the bad news is he played zone defense which suits his swatting (shot blocking) style, but didn't help him one bit with the Celts and teh NBA's predominant defensive schemes around man-man switching, helping. I don't remember clearly if he was able to offer weak side help (which essentially nobody other than Sully did; and while Bass' man coverage really got good, he offers nothing on weakside help and KG doesn't seem to want to give up the body any more - can you blame him). But if Melo can develop (big IF) that switching/help defense and the weakside help; then he'll stick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to futbal's comment:

Melo lacks basketball instinct because he didn't play growing up. For example, his defensive pick and roll switching is slow to non-existent as he doesn't seem to see the obvious play developing the way someone who grew up playing hoops would. The good news is that in college he made substantial progress in his game; the bad news is he played zone defense which suits his swatting (shot blocking) style, but didn't help him one bit with the Celts and teh NBA's predominant defensive schemes around man-man switching, helping. I don't remember clearly if he was able to offer weak side help (which essentially nobody other than Sully did; and while Bass' man coverage really got good, he offers nothing on weakside help and KG doesn't seem to want to give up the body any more - can you blame him). But if Melo can develop (big IF) that switching/help defense and the weakside help; then he'll stick.

Thanks for the insight! AND we also know he is a hard worker! Hopefully the Cs end up with a rotational player that continues to improve as the years go on! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think the innate talent is there with Melo.  I am sorry, but he is more skilled than Perkins was at a similar stage of development.  Thing is, big Perk wanted it in the weight room, the classroom and on the floor he was all effort despite limited skills.  Time will tell if Melo will pick up defensive concepts or if he'll be in the weight room to develop a chiseledhis body to absorb the rigors of an 82 games season against NBA-level talent.  I look at Melo and think that in a few years, with some hard work and commitment, he could become a Tyson Chandler type of player if he wants it.  Perk wanted it, and developed into a decent 5 after a few years of seasoning.    

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

PERK   First 4 yrs               SEASON TEAM GP MIN FGM-A FG% OR REB AST BLK PTS '03-'04 BOS 10 3.5 0.8-1.5 0.533 0.5 1.4 0.3 0.2 2.2 '04-'05 BOS 60 9.1 0.9-2.0 0.471 0.9 2.9 0.4 0.6 2.5 '05-'06 BOS 68 19.6 2.0-3.9 0.515 2.1 5.9 1 1.5 5.2 '06-'07 BOS 72 21.9 1.8-3.7 0.491 1.6 5.2 1.3 1.3 4.5

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

I wanted PJIII or Festus.....I think Melo will be part of a trade this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Melo may well be part of a trade, but it should probably be for an established player that is young enough to be part of the core of this team going forward.  I still thing in 2-3 years he will be a serviceable 5 as a rebounder/shot blocker/physical presence.  Given where this team is in terms of the rebuild process, they can afford to see if Melo emerges.  

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

In response to Red-16Russ-11's comment:

Festus at least got some playing time in the playoffs ... Melo????

Patience grass hopper!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

I think the innate talent is there with Melo.  I am sorry, but he is more skilled than Perkins was at a similar stage of development.  Thing is, big Perk wanted it in the weight room, the class room and on the floor he was all effort depstie limited skills.  Time will tell if Melo will pick up defensive concepts or if he'll be in the weight room to develop ac hiseledhis body to absorb the rigors of an 82 games season against NBA-level talent.  I look at Melo and think that in a few years, with some hard work and commitment, he could become a Tyson Chandler type of player if he wants it.  Perk wanted it, and developed into a decent 5 after a few years of seasoning.    

That's because some of the Celtic fans here only became Celtic fans when KG and Ray became Celtic players.

I saw Perk play since 2003. There's no way the rookie Perk was better than Fab Melo of today.

I agree...melo has FAR more upside. We ll see though....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

In response to Red-16Russ-11's comment:

Festus at least got some playing time in the playoffs ... Melo????

Patience grass hopper!

Like it....why rush guys?     Don't get it...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

In response to prakash's comment:

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

What do I base this on?  He will need Doc's attention.  He was asked to play in the current Celtics system that was built with no big man in mind.  That means that the big man would have to excel playing like a little man.  Fab will not be there any time soon.

Do you mean a doctor or Doc Rivers? Cause if you meant a doctor, you may have a point. 

In the extreme unlikelihood you meant Doc Rivers....well, what gives you that idea? Have you noticed the revolving door of bigs either Doc hasnt develop or they cant stand playing for him?

In all seriousness, what big has Doc developed? 

What about what you said... the Celtic system is built with no big man in mind... if thats the case my guess is only DOc would develop such a system in the NBA...

I don't engage with you that does not mean that I agree with you.  I am very aware of your opinion regarding Doc.  Doc has built the system where he can maximally utilize his best players and attempt to win.  Lately, there was no big man among his best players.  And there were none worth developing.

Doc adjusted his system to create opportunities for Jeff Green.  Once that connection was made, Jeff started making big contributions.

Doc created opportunities for Sullinger.  And I believe that once Fab Melo gets up to a certain level of comfort, Doc will create opportunities for him.

In my opinion, you and your cronies are front runners.  You guys are out in force now because the Celts are going through a transition.  It is easy and safe to express strong opinions dumping on them.  You guys don't show a single constructive opinion.  Because it will be too dangerous.  It will require constructive and open minded thinking.  It is easier to dump on Doc, the players, everybody.  Get rid of them all, throw them away.  That will solve the problem.

Hah!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Guys that can play zone D, and Swat shots are always in demand..Not saying he will be superstar, but upside is still high...although more limited...Did any of the others post anything close to these nos...in the second toughest bball.. league...??He just does'nt have the exprerience to draw on..

Basketball IQ needs to improve..

He will contribute next year...

15 point, 16 rebound, 14 block triple double.

You cannot discount this as an aberration as he was on a roll for a while..

+1.  I am not a Melo basher.  I think that he will become a really good player in the league.  Just look at Marc Gasol's development.

What do I base this on?  He will need Doc's attention.  He was asked to play in the current Celtics system that was built with no big man in mind.  That means that the big man would have to excel playing like a little man.  Fab will not be there any time soon.

He has looked slow, out of place, etc.  But I remember one sequence when the Celts got the defensive rebound and Fab started running up court.  Barbosa had a brain fa*t and threw the ball forward to him a couple of steps before the half court line.  The big man was surprised like anything but was able to gather himself, gather the ball, stop and not create a turnover.

That makes me believe that Fab is not dumb.  So we have a very big man, that is not dumb, and has very little basketball experience.  Worth being hopeful about.

Agreed///

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

So who ends up the better player or who will have a better career from here on out, Sully or Moultrie?

I say Sully.

You're going to say Moultrie, Mployee?

Unless Sully is 100% when the Doc's let him take the floor again. If he comes back at 75% what he use to be then he'll become Danny's biggest risk in the 2012 Draft instead of Melo. How ironic? I think Danny tossed the dice with both players ....

That's exactly what you do in that position...

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Fungus34 ... I don't think he's on your side. After all, you aren't exactly the bastian of "constructive" and "open minded thinking."

Shut up and stop trying to suck up to newbies in an effort to deflect negative opinion away from yourself and onto the other posters here .... SO LAME!!!

Newbies!!!!???  After all the effort that I have put in on this forum?  Dang!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

ACIE MELO ! (good one Mployee8)

I was dissapointed Ainge didn't pick Perry Jones III , but let's see how Fab our guy can be with another summer league and (hopefully ) training camp. His ultimate value may be as a spare part to make salary match....

Stranger things have happened, remember Robert Parrish was thought to be a stiff until he landed in Boston......and Parrish was no stiff !

I'm on pins and needles waiting for draft night......whatever happens , it's gonna be big. I say Ainge moves way up to pluck the next Celtics superstar. 

At the very least, the OKC pick @ #12 seems like it could be available for cash & spare parts...

I WISH THE NBA DRAFT WERE ONE WEEK AFTER THE FINALS ! THE NBA SHOULD MOVE IT UP TO OWN ANOTHER WEEK OF MEDIA ATTENTION, NO ONE CARES ABOUT BASEBALL ANYMORE...

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

From what i've seen of the guy, I don't think he has the demeanor or agressiveness to be consistantly effective in this league right now. Someone needs to p*ss this guy off. Seriously! He's too... hunky doory to me. lol. What i mean is, the guy appears to have no serious drive to become a force at the center position. It's almost like he's just happy to have a few great games in the D-league, and that'll do just fine for him. Guy needs to show HUNGER out there! DRIVE! Then i'll believe. Till then, he's fodder. Keep developing the guy and cross your fingers. Best developement in my mind, is to see KG get in his face and really challenge him. I think that would really help the guy. If he folds, send him packing. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

I never wanted Flab Melo.  Prior to the draft last year, I was all over various boards pleading for the C's to not draft him.  A 7 footer who averages 5 rebounds a game in college???  Ohhhhhh, I know, he's only been playing this game since he was 16.  If he'd been playing this game since he was 12, he'd be Patrick Ewing right now - just look at his amazing footwork, he go that from playing soccer -yadda, yadda, yadda.  It should bother people that on this team that had such a dire need of a big man that they didn't even use him....not even for 5 minutes a game!  And then Danny dangled him at the trade deadline - that's even more of a tell.  This guy AT BEST will be a journey man 12th player on the bench, which is a hell of alot better than working for a living.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

I never wanted Flab Melo.  Prior to the draft last year, I was all over various boards pleading for the C's to not draft him.  A 7 footer who averages 5 rebounds a game in college???  Ohhhhhh, I know, he's only been playing this game since he was 16.  If he'd been playing this game since he was 12, he'd be Patrick Ewing right now - just look at his amazing footwork, he go that from playing soccer -yadda, yadda, yadda.  It should bother people that on this team that had such a dire need of a big man that they didn't even use him....not even for 5 minutes a game!  And then Danny dangled him at the trade deadline - that's even more of a tell.  This guy AT BEST will be a journey man 12th player on the bench, which is a hell of alot better than working for a living.

Danny dangled almost everyone at the trade deadline, as he does every year! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Do you mean a doctor or Doc Rivers? Cause if you meant a doctor, you may have a point. 

In the extreme unlikelihood you meant Doc Rivers....well, what gives you that idea? Have you noticed the revolving door of bigs either Doc hasnt develop or they cant stand playing for him?

In all seriousness, what big has Doc developed? 

What about what you said... the Celtic system is built with no big man in mind... if thats the case my guess is only DOc would develop such a system in the NBA...

I don't engage with you that does not mean that I agree with you.  I am very aware of your opinion regarding Doc.  Doc has built the system where he can maximally utilize his best players and attempt to win.  Lately, there was no big man among his best players.  And there were none worth developing.

Doc adjusted his system to create opportunities for Jeff Green.  Once that connection was made, Jeff started making big contributions.

Doc created opportunities for Sullinger.  And I believe that once Fab Melo gets up to a certain level of comfort, Doc will create opportunities for him.

In my opinion, you and your cronies are front runners.  You guys are out in force now because the Celts are going through a transition.  It is easy and safe to express strong opinions dumping on them.  You guys don't show a single constructive opinion.  Because it will be too dangerous.  It will require constructive and open minded thinking.  It is easier to dump on Doc, the players, everybody.  Get rid of them all, throw them away.  That will solve the problem.

Hah!

Your post demonstrates how out of touch you really are...

What opportunities did Doc create for Sully??  The guy created his own by hitting the boards, even the offensive boards..something DOc instructs his players to ignore...duh

and if you want some credibility, then get your accusations right.. I been on DOc for years, not just this season cause we're losing....even during our title year for his horrible rotations etc etc... Must be youre a fierce clone for making stuff up you really dont know....

Lastly, Im not all over players... in fact, Im probably one of the more restrained in criticizing players on the whole... Sure, maybe on a game thread I might say Pierce throwing the ball away again.... the only player I get on in the big picture is Rondo...

So, where do you get your information from?? You sound like another screwball...

25. This post has been removed.