How hurt is Pierce?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

How hurt is Pierce?

He looks okay out there but he is playing horribly.  Is he really that hurt?.  He is the only guy on the Celtics that can score on his own and create his own shot consistently.

I can not remember him having two games in a row where he played this badly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Re: How hurt is Pierce?

If he isn't hurt he should retire.
    He must be hurt pretty badly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

He is really hurting badly.  He just got no mobility.  Every time he tried to beat the defender, his knees kept locking him up which forced him to stop dribbling the ball, and passed the ball to different guy.  That is not Pierce's way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

Maybe he does need a rest for a game?

The compressed season can't be good for players. Especially the veterans. Celtics may get away with a series win against the Sixers. But they need everyone fit for Miami.

Obvious comment I know but Boston needs everything to go their way from here in. Having Pierce incapacitated in any form cripples the team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Whatever it is he isn't good enough on the court. Iggy is a good defender and all but Pierce has been atrocious since game 2 ATL so that can't be all of it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I cannot believe he's hurt badly or else why would Doc continue to put him out there?  Anybody watching the game could see he's hurting this team more than he's helping it.

If he is hurting, why not sit him and put in a healthy Pav or Quis?  At least they can contribute defensively where Pierce is just not getting it done on either end.

It appears that AB, Ray and PP are all playing hurt but Pierce is most affected.  We can't leave all of of these injured players out there playing at 3/4 strength.  It just seems that Pierce is killing us the most so let's minimize the effect of the injuries on the overall team play.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Thats not how Doc operates. You think he'd not play Pierce if Pierce says he can go? Even though he's obviously hurting the team? The only way Pierce isn't playing is when Pierce says he can't play.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

If Pierce had AB's injury, they would have to amputate his arm!! If he had Ray's injury, they would have to cut his ankles off. He handles playing hurt worse then anyone i have ever seen!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: How hurt is Pierce?:
     If Pierce had AB's injury, they would have to amputate his arm!! If he had Ray's injury, they would have to cut his ankles off. He handles playing hurt worse then anyone i have ever seen!!
    Posted by kyceltic

You say that man but in only one year in his entire career has Pierce missed any significant time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Sprained MCL.  MCL located on the inside (medial) part of the knee.  Stablilizes the joint while turning or pivoting.
    Straight ahead movements, no problem.
    Turning, pivoting, doing those thousand and one moves PP does to get his shot.
    No can do.
    Maybe that's why.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Sprained MCL.  MCL located on the inside (medial) part of the knee.  Stablilizes the joint while turning or pivoting. Straight ahead movements, no problem. Turning, pivoting, doing those thousand and one moves PP does to get his shot. No can do. Maybe that's why.
    Posted by breaktime

Yup. Exactly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Sprained MCL.  MCL located on the inside (medial) part of the knee.  Stablilizes the joint while turning or pivoting. Straight ahead movements, no problem. Turning, pivoting, doing those thousand and one moves PP does to get his shot. No can do. Maybe that's why.
    Posted by breaktime

I know it is "why".  Since you are good at googling medical terminology what is the prognosis for this getting better?

I think that my OP was over simplistic.  It isn't that I actually do not understand.  It is more that if he cannot play any better, or do any better then the Celtics are done.

My question was more around the prognosis for recovery and whether it will improve.  Because if Pierce can't get his own shot, or drive to the basket then the season is over.  The Celtics have no one else (besides Rondo) on the entire team capable of consistently getting his own shot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

Really???? I don't believe the BS about players being hurt. Kobe having a stomach virus was BS. Michael Jordan getting 40 pts. in a game supposedly being sick is also BS, they even have a commercial about it. I have never believed any player being hurt when he's on the court. After Pierce supposedly hurt his knee the next game I have not seen Pierce as fast as he looked in that next game, he even had a great block in that game. Knowing Pierce's reputation about being hurt (wheel chair and winning the MVP of the finals and a few more times I herd about him being hurt) I say it's all BS. Not only Pierce but all the players who say are playing hurt. Kobe with a stomach virus and playing in the altitude of Denver and had 31 pts if I'm not mistaken???? That is also BS. Just my two cents.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I believe hat the C's went up 2-0 in this series, PP would be sitting game 3. If we can somehow win game 3, I think Doc may sit him game 4 and bring him back at home in game 5.

I would like to see a little more zone to cut down on their athleticism since they don't have too many real threats on the frontline.

PP shouldn't be covering Iggy. I would let Rondo cover Holiday, Bradley cover Iggy, PP cover Turner. Turner is slower and Bradley's defense on Iggy would help him from slashing so much. We lose size in the matchup but the hawking defense that Bradley's plays would negate the advantage.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: How hurt is Pierce? : Why not just use Pietrus and Pav on Iggy and let Pierce play SG?
    Posted by Mployee8

You may be right.  Having someone else covering AI could help the Celtics. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Some adjustments have to be made...I still haven't seen the game, but obviously Pierce is hurting....At one time against Atlanta, he was lighting it up, and all of a sudden he can't find the hole...sounds like my golf game....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

In Response to Re: How hurt is Pierce? : I know it is "why".  Since you are good at googling medical terminology what is the prognosis for this getting better?  I think that my OP was over simplistic.  It isn't that I actually do not understand.  It is more that if he cannot play any better, or do any better then the Celtics are done. My question was more around the prognosis for recovery and whether it will improve.  Because if Pierce can't get his own shot, or drive to the basket then the season is over.  The Celtics have no one else (besides Rondo) on the entire team capable of consistently getting his own shot.
    Posted by snakeoil123

I posted his prognosis on some other threads but here it is again. Recovery time would depend on the degree of the sprain.  Since he is playing and not sitting out, a courtside educated guess would be he has a first degree sprain, the least severe one.  Generally, that's a 2 weeks recovery time to be 100%. 
    If this was the regular season, he'd probably be out 10 games.
    This is why I posted Doc should sit him down for Game 3, hope the C's can win and regain HCA, then gametime decision him for Game 4.
    That would give him 3-6 days rest.  Not enough to be 100%, but better.
    Kirk6 posted Doc should sit him for the remainder of this series.
    I know we have to beat Philly to advance, but if we do, the competition gets stiffer, and that light at the end of tunnel is probably a freight train with OKC plastered on it.
    Real tuff decision for Doc.  Gotta think both about winning now and later.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Go back to big line up. KG at 4 , Steamer and Hollins at 5, Bass and zray off the bench. Pietrus looks ready, had a good game, so of course (sarcasm), Doc yanked him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

Really???? I don't believe the BS about players being hurt. Kobe having a stomach virus was BS. Michael Jordan getting 40 pts. in a game supposedly being sick is also BS, they even have a commercial about it. I have never believed any player being hurt when he's on the court. After Pierce supposedly hurt his knee the next game I have not seen Pierce as fast as he looked in that next game, he even had a great block in that game. Knowing Pierce's reputation about being hurt (wheel chair and winning the MVP of the finals and a few more times I herd about him being hurt) I say it's all BS. Not only Pierce but all the players who say are playing hurt. Kobe with a stomach virus and playing in the altitude of Denver and had 31 pts if I'm not mistaken???? That is also BS. Just my two cents.
    Posted by TheNewGKDynasty

McHale did play on a broken foot in 86/87, and pretty much finished his career  by doing so. Never played at the same level he did prior to his injury again.

Hate to imagine the concoction of painkillers he took before each game, as they wouldn't have been too healthy for him either. Props to McHale for playing, but it really was an insane thing to do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Posted by kyceltic

what? Thats a load of crap... an MCL sprain is less painful but more damaging to your abilities than floating bone spurs or a dislocated shoulder... he has played through pain many times ove rhis career... pathetic

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Pierce has only one option tonight.  He has to suck it up and play like nothing's wrong.  He has to play better than 10 points per game.  He has to push himself through the pain.  Paul Pierce has to positively affect this game tonight and lead this team to a victory.  That is what he must do.  We have to regain HCA tonight.

Then Doc can sit him in game 4 (Friday) with game 5 being in Boston on Monday night.  That would give Pierce a much-needed 4 full days rest (short time but HE needs that).  He can then return on Monday in Boston and be "healthier" than he's been in awhile.

At that point, I believe he'll lead us to a win on Monday and a close out on in game 6 Wednesday back in Philly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to Re: How hurt is Pierce? : what? Thats a load of crap... an MCL sprain is less painful but more damaging to your abilities than floating bone spurs or a dislocated shoulder... he has played through pain many times ove rhis career... pathetic
    Posted by rameakap

I agree with your last sentence. He has played with pain many times over his career, and in most of those games he has played pathetic!!  Like i said he doesn't handle playing hurt well. He's also a bit over dramatic about how bad his injuries are!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I find it amusing how the wheelchair incident, where he claims he heard a pop, can cloud the judgements of people when it comes to a 13-14 year career.

This is a guy who didn't miss a start when he was stabbed a dozen times... played through many injuries and did fine.  have a hard time remembering any stetch where he played through injuries and played poorly. He sat out much of the 2nd half of the tanking '07 seaosn with an elbow that was continously filling with fluid... but was still getting 22-23 a game when he played.

Other than that one season this is a player who as averaged like 5-6 missed games a year...  9 seasons of 79+ games and 2 of his seasons were lockour shortened

Sections
Shortcuts