How is Tony Allen doing?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

How is Tony Allen doing?

Is TA getting any run in Memphis? I hope he's happy not to be involved in any primetime games this year. Oh well that's what he wanted...from TV games to Siberia.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Re: How is Tony Allen doing?

He got the money!!
    ....and why not?
    he has ring too - he will get rot in the celtics too...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryMangurian. Show HarryMangurian's posts

In Response to How is Tony Allen doing?:
    [QUOTE]Is TA getting any run in Memphis? I hope he's happy not to be involved in any primetime games this year. Oh well that's what he wanted...from TV games to Siberia.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

I am hoping Lasme makes us forget all abut him

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wg-2. Show wg-2's posts

Last game:
      DNP - coach's decision

Prior game:
      12 minutes - 2 points, 3 assists, 4 fouls, 1 turnover

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

I feel the same way about TA as I did about Posey.  I don't blame him for taking the money, but he had a nice role on this team.  Sometimes when you think you need MORE of a role, and you get paid accordingly, it doesn't work out.  I hope BBD doesn't have the same ideas in his head.  He is very good on this team, in his role.  Should BBD leave us at the end of the year for starting on another team, and more money, I am afraid he will suffer the same fate - high expectations, with little return.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

No worries about T Allen. We got Lasme. I think he will be as good or better than TA. For one he is taller.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: How is Tony Allen doing?:
    [QUOTE]I feel the same way about TA as I did about Posey.  I don't blame him for taking the money, but he had a nice role on this team.  Sometimes when you think you need MORE of a role, and you get paid accordingly, it doesn't work out.  I hope BBD doesn't have the same ideas in his head.  He is very good on this team, in his role.  Should BBD leave us at the end of the year for starting on another team, and more money, I am afraid he will suffer the same fate - high expectations, with little return.
    Posted by BirdandCowens[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.  Posey was traded during the off season and who knows what type of minutes he will play this year.  I can't imagine that he has been very happy since leaving Boston.  TA may definitely feel the same way this season. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Most atheletes who leave New England suffer from post fan depression, that's because the New England Sports fan can't be compared too by any other cities fan base. I live in Florida and no matter which game I go to whether it's a Panther Vs. Bruins game,or Celtics Vs. Heat or Magic, or my favorite example Marlins/Rays against the Sox, the New England fans come out in droves and even the local fans are outnumbered 2 to 1... This is why the players rarely produce to the level that was seen in Boston. TA is a memory and a nice story but he played on a team that didn't require much more than for him to play Defense and now the new team would like some offense also for the money they are going to pay him,and simply put thats not going to happen in TA's case.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Yes, precisely; very succinct.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Well, we all noticed that stats don't always show what TA brings to the table. Seriously imagine what a defensive (but small) lineup we would have with TA, West and Rondo on the court. That would just be insane! I know he can play. He might not be liable on the offense but defensive to me he is just one of the best. I'll surely miss him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micksoxx. Show Micksoxx's posts

I wish TA nothing but luck. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bobbarcker. Show Bobbarcker's posts

[QUOTE]Most atheletes who leave New England suffer from post fan depression, that's because the New England Sports fan can't be compared too by any other cities fan base. I live in Florida and no matter which game I go to whether it's a Panther Vs. Bruins game,or Celtics Vs. Heat or Magic, or my favorite example Marlins/Rays against the Sox, the New England fans come out in droves and even the local fans are outnumbered 2 to 1... This is why the players rarely produce to the level that was seen in Boston. TA is a memory and a nice story but he played on a team that didn't require much more than for him to play Defense and now the new team would like some offense also for the money they are going to pay him,and simply put thats not going to happen in TA's case.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

The players don't care about the fans nearly that much.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]There is a big difference between Tony Allen and James Posey concerning money.  Posey was given five years at $5.0MM and the Celtics were not ready to go over three for even $5.0MM.  The only difference in the Tony Allen deal was that he got a third year.  Tony thought that he was going to be able to possibly go to a small market team and start (i.e. OJ Mayo moving to point) and that is not the case.  This is a classic example of what Doc talks about in players knowing and accepting who they are.  In Tony's mind, he was on a trajectory to be the next Paul Pierce or Ray Allen before he his knee injury; he forgets that that was an 18 win team.  Tony is a defensive stopper and is erratic on offense and thus his minutes have to be pared back on a championship type team; and he does not get that. 
       The Celtics offered Pose a 3 year deal at around 18 million. Posey wanted a 4 year deal which he got from N.O @ about 25 million for 4 years.
    Posted by ShepherdCall[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

If Marquis Daniels plays well this season then Tony Allen leaving is blessing in disguise. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AaronWE. Show AaronWE's posts

Tony Allen was a Politician.  Dude should run for Governor he would win.  How about when he fouls Billups with less then 1 sec to go and allows Billups to win the game with Ft's.  ( I'm sure he did'nt read the scouting report).  How about blowing out his ACL to dunk 7 seconds after the refs blows the whistle?  Or how in Chicago they have to hire extra security because he has pissed off the wrong people?  I'm sure he is not easy to manage.  AINGE OFFERED HIM A FAIR DEAL AND HE TURNED IT DOWN.  MAYBE HE IS LIKE LAWYER MILLOY "SUPERBOWL RINGS DON'T FEED THE FAMILY."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenpride32. Show greenpride32's posts

Why all the hate on TA?  I don't think he left here on bad terms. 

Also, I supsect the C's had no interest in bringing him back.  That's why they attempted a sign and trade for Brewer when Memphis was interested in TA, rather than match the offer.

It's always been the same story for TA, for every good play he makes, he makes 2 or 3 bad ones.  But I respect the effort he gave to the C's and wish him the best.   He'll get a nice hand at the Garden when he returns as a member of the opposition.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

TA made a good career move for the $$$ and I dont blame him one bit. As far as a player goes, the truth is hes been a flash in the pan to date. He had some real good playoff games and played super defense but taking the years hes been a Celtic as a whole, hes been a nightmare.

Turnovers and out of control has been his mantra. I cant get too excited because he had a good playoff run. TOo many players have had their brief moments in the sun never to be heard from again. If TA played for 2 seasons like he did in the playoffs, it'd be a different story.

He will suffer as a player leaving the Celtics. his role was clear here, tough defense and get out on the break. After several years, he finally reached his pinnacle last playoffs. He wont be that good again for another team imo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

I thank TA for all his hard work with the C'S...

I applaud him for his successful rehab on his knee...

I congratulate him for gaining a raise in salary...

i wish him continual success and prosperity...

I would not be surprised to see him in a trade to a contender this year

like the  SPURS , SUNS , TRAILBLAZERS , MAGIC , MAVS OR THUNDER...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

[QUOTE]No worries about T Allen. We got Lasme. I think he will be as good or better than TA. For one he is taller.
    Posted by CelticFanLA[/QUOTE]

Lasme is not as good as TA by a lot. TA has much better ball control with the dribble. Ive seen some nice passes from Lasme though. TA is one of the best in the world at getting in the passing lanes and taking it the other way. He came a long way since the Billups foul. Also, EVERYONE in the NBA has dunked after the whistle. I am sick of the criticism on that. TA is also quicker.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AaronWE. Show AaronWE's posts

Maybe Tony Allen can attend a John Stockton Clinic and learn how to pass.  Dude can't pass the ball.  Look how bad of a passer he is.  Doc probably wondered at times if they teach players how too pass at Oklahoma State.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe Tony Allen can attend a John Stockton Clinic and learn how to pass.  Dude can't pass the ball.  Look how bad of a passer he is.  Doc probably wondered at times if they teach players how too pass at Oklahoma State.
    Posted by AaronWE[/QUOTE]

Wonder why doc thought he could play point.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How is Tony Allen doing? : Wonder why doc thought he could play point.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

DOc always liked TA for some reason. Even when the guy would self destruct the team, as was the usual case when he played. He came around in the playoffs and showed he could contribute on defense and on the break... but a month or 2 of good ball out over several years isnt much to get excited about.

Maybe hes reached another level or maybe he hit his zone for a brief stint. TA has always been a turnover or collision waiting to happen. To me, it was a flip of the coin as to how valuable he would have been as a Celtic this season. Great athleticism but usually out of control and the potential to kill your own team with his play

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Last night Tony Allen didn't play again, another DNP - coach's decision. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How is Tony Allen doing? : Lasme is not as good as TA by a lot. TA has much better ball control with the dribble. Ive seen some nice passes from Lasme though. TA is one of the best in the world at getting in the passing lanes and taking it the other way. He came a long way since the Billups foul. Also, EVERYONE in the NBA has dunked after the whistle. I am sick of the criticism on that. TA is also quicker.

Posted by existentialparquet[/QUOTE]

Dont they play different positions? if so, it is hard to compare the two. I love TA big time. I also see some similarities between Leon Powe work ethics and Lasme's. They are both hard worker humble players and C's need that. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How is Tony Allen doing? : DOc always liked TA for some reason.  Karllost[/QUOTE]

As I remember Tony Allen's coach was a good friend of Docs. That and the glimces of his athletic ability probably kept him around.

While Tony had game at times I felt when at a autograph signing session he was rather aloof as if he was the team star.  
    Of course that wouldn't affect his play..or would it?

Sections
Shortcuts