How many of you would be fine with the nba cancelling the season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Re: How many of you would be fine with the nba cancelling the season?

In Response to How many of you would be fine with the nba cancelling the season?:
    [QUOTE]a lot of ppl saying that they want the season to be cencelled. im not even going to pretend, il be so depressed without the Celtics being on. Every night is a battle with these guys and chance to see somethin special. bruins just dont do it for me. i watch, but just not as into the game. for me, after a tiring day, i just like to chill with the fam and watch the C's.
    Posted by btownteamsrking[/QUOTE]

I am very glad there could be no season.  I am a strong believer in the market.  When one of the teams in the finals, Miami, cannot even sell out their stadium I believe there is a real problem with the sport.  Apparently there are 22 out of 30 teams that are losing money.  There are 500 players who are largely illiterate and are not even employable if they did not have a skill that people are willing to pay to watch.

There are way too many teams and year after year we see players that Danny drafts that have no business even being in the league.  Danny has  drafted near the end of the draft and gotten nothing out of it but we are somehow expected to believe that over the course of time these are the guys that will take over the league. I think I hear that Giddens and Walker are the next Kobe and LeBron and that Danny was crazy to let them go.

What we have seen instead is that when you draft at the end of the draft there is very little chance that a player will actually become a player.
    It is only on boston.com that idiots that proclaim themselves as basketball fans that Orien Greene, Gerald Green, and a whole bunch of other guys that have no business being in the league are the future.

Take the top 20 teams and give them 15 players and then you have 300 players that could actually attract teams / players.... then you would have 200 players that would have to go back to the hood and geh-da-hoes-do-daze-ting-dat-mates-sure-dat-daze do bettah..................... we are talking about guys that havve never ever ever should have been in college should never have been proven to be what most would be thought of as people to be looked up as........ someone to look up to.......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

The teams are losing money because they give stupid contracts. That's not the players fault, it's the stupid owners and GMs. They make money if they don't do what people like Isaiah Thomas did in NY with contracts? Players should take a cut but then again - they've already agreed to that so now it's time for compromise. Go with 51/49 and let's play!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

unfortunately it isn't as simple as agreeing to the split - this is about a system that doesn't work economically for the nba anymore and it's going to change. the players would probably agree to 50/50 or something close to that if it was just about the split. the nba is trying to be less like the ridiuclous system that mlb has and more like the nfl and nhl with a hard cap, less exceptions, and a realistic shot for any team to win. the nfl is number one for a reason, and granted that is dicatated largely by an insane tv contract, but the nba can still get closer to being a legitmately competitive league. perhaps this isn't the best news considering we are in a big market, but just look what the pats have done. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Good theory, but the NBA will never be like the NFL because of the sport itself. In the NFL there are 22 players that make up the bulk of the important players - not including situation players and special teams ( kickers, return guys, short yardage players, etc). So, it's VERY difficult for one or two players to make a team a winner and very difficult for 3 or 4 players t make you championship calibre. So, players are more role and situational. Fans identify with the team because the wins only come if offense, defense, kickers, etc all play well. The plays and play calling are often more important than the individual talent (anyone can catch a wide open pass if the right play is called and all 11 players execute their role). Basketball has 5 players on the court and if 3 or 4 of them are all-star calibre, you are championship calibre. The team is more about having 2 to 4 stars and 3 or 4 role players and you win. So, fans identify with the players. Change one or two players and you dramatically change your chances of winning. So, balance and parity in the NBA has Never been as widespread as the NFL and never will be, not as long as just a few elite players make such a huge difference in your chances. No matter what the rules or league structure, Detroit, Golden State, Charlotte, Atlanta, Wizards, etc will NOT compete with Miami, Dallas, OKC, Lakers, and Boston! Let's stop thinking the NBA can ever be the NFL. Players will always be more important in small teams of 5 vs big teams of 22 or 25. So NBA owners will have more single player big contracts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

This lockout has a good chance of leading to a canceled season now.  I had thought the leverage was on the NBA players to settle due to the mid and lower level players needing the money desperately after weeks lost.  What I think now is the player's union is tone deaf to the the rest of the country. They seem to be setting up their justification on the idea the league treats them like slaves.  In the NFL maybe but clearly not the NBA. No pro league has more overpaid players and less profitable  teams. I wish they would settle but this like the Congress of the United States or the European Union is another place where stupidity rules.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

I can say "forget it" all you greedy owners and players.
    I'll watch college hoops or something else. Get REAL!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I hear the small market teams really are holding the line (they are the ones less likely to make money).  The league expanded too far and there just isn't enough fan support to make those small market teams both competitive (high costs) and profitable at the same time.  

Contraction has been the answer for a long time!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: How many of you would be fine with the nba cancelling the season?:
    [QUOTE]I hear the small market teams really are holding the line (they are the ones less likely to make money).  The league expanded too far and there just isn't enough fan support to make those small market teams both competitive (high costs) and profitable at the same time.   Contraction has been the answer for a long time!
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  There are a number of marginal NBA cities with owners who can't or won't compete with the haves of the NBA.  The current system isn't working.  I'd rather they get it right than perpetuate a mediocre and declining product. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

I LOVE THE IDEA OF NO SEASON!

the union is out of control.  the league has already rescued two franchises that should have been shut down (contraction) becuase they were not financially viable. 

These players make too much money.  they have no other marketable skills, 95% of them.  They should be grateful to have the jobs that they do.  Instead they are in a social justice racketeering with the union running the front for them.  No franchise should have to depend on selling hot dogs and shirts to keep in the black and several franchises do that.

I never wanna see another Calivin booth, mark blounty, eddie curry, jerome james- the guaranteed money has to stop.  it guarantees thievery of teams' money.

If the owners cave in quickly then the ridiculous notion of 10's of millions guaranteed no matter how little a player tries will stay. 

I'm dead tired of the traveling hore nature of the league.  there are no rivalries like even in the early 1990s, 80s, 70s, etc.  all the teams turn over personnel every couple years.  you can't have rivalries when your people don't stay the same.

Ticket prices to sit your butte in a seat for a game are stupid expensive.  It's the sport of the super rich now.  It never used to have to be like that until the players started making 10-25 million a year. 

I hate all of the above things and I want them to go away. 

So if it takes a year off for the players to come back to reality, then do it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

I would not be fine with no basketball.  I like it too much.  But I could live without it.  I do not like Communism, but Karl Marx was right about the struggle between the workers and the owners being a process that develops.  Its just something that goes on in the Human Race.  I guess the important thing is how we adjust to the particular situation.     

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

Hey..
    Forget the 1% or even the 50-50%..How about 33%-Owners, 33%-Players,
    33%-Fans. After all it is us Fans that are paying the tab! Whats left over you can give to the poor lunch box carrying Hockey Players! JMO

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: How many of you would be fine with the nba cancelling the season?:
    [QUOTE]I would not be fine with no basketball.  I like it too much.  But I could live without it.  I do not like Communism, but Karl Marx was right about the struggle between the workers and the owners being a process that develops.  Its just something that goes on in the Human Race.  I guess the important thing is how we adjust to the particular situation.     
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]

We live in a society where one would think based on the political rhetoric that one's failure comes as a result of one's success as if it were a zero sum game, like a baseball game - someone has to win and someone has to lose.  So the person that wakes up in the morning, works really hard, goes to school, studies, does whatever they can do to get ahead, gets a degree, goes to medical school and becomes a cardiologist is the reason that someone else gets up in the morning, sparks a joint, skips school, drops out as a sophomore because he has become a father for the second time, and has absolutely no intention of ever participating in what most (but unfortunately a shrinking number of Americans) would consider America.

So people that work hard and risk their capital are really really bad people but the people that fail to take advantage of what amounts to a free education are victims and it is those that risk everything have caused this victimization.

All set with that........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

Im fine if they cancel it.  Wont bother me one bit.  greedy suckers..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I'd hate it if they cancel the season.  I'd miss the game and the tremendous level of talent and competition.  I love the NBA.....always have and always will.  We can all live without it - its not life or death.  But, I'd certainly miss it tremendously so I hope they come to the eventual compromise sometime soon!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

They have a chance to land Dwight Howard,if the Magic can't trade him during the season.

Sections
Shortcuts