How much of a pay cut would Melo be willing to take?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

How much of a pay cut would Melo be willing to take?

He turned 30 last week (Pierce turned 30 as the 2007-08 title season kicked off)

He has played 28,838 mins through his age 29 year (Pierce played 24,400 or so through age 29)

He was not named to any All-NBA team this past season (Pierce was named to far fewer than Melo up to age 29 but was 3rd team at age 30 and 2nd team at age 31)

Paul George has appeared to pass Melo behind LeBron and Durant for best SF in the NBA. Pierce was a better passer and defender than Melo at all times in their careers.

So what should he be paid if not the max? He can be signed and traded for 4 years with 5% raises. Pierce made 68 million ages 30-33. I think Melo should take a paycut to around that amount.

That means clear 16 million for next season and pay him 16-16.75-17.5-18.25 over 4 years (68.5 million total)

That would also entice Rondo to sign a team friendly extension for slightly below Melo (since he is not as good a player), 5 years 80 million for Rondo. Then Love, the best player of the 3, will make 15.5 and 16.5 his two years here through 2016. when he signs an extension it should be at 15% raise's to the 16.5, so 5 years of contracts of like 18-19-20-21-22 or 5/100. Not the 30% max of what should be a 70+ million cap by summer of 2016.

if the 3 of them combine for 50-55 million salaries over the next four years it will give the team, in a league with a 65-75m cap and 75-85m lux tax threshold the ability to stay around 85-90m in salaries and not pay over 100 million (including taxes) which should be Wyc's ceiling for team salary commitments.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

Re: How much of a pay cut would Melo be willing to take?

In response to rameakap's comment:

He turned 30 last week (Pierce turned 30 as the 2007-08 title season kicked off)

He has played 28,838 mins through his age 29 year (Pierce played 24,400 or so through age 29)

He was not named to any All-NBA team this past season (Pierce was named to far fewer than Melo up to age 29 but was 3rd team at age 30 and 2nd team at age 31)

Paul George has appeared to pass Melo behind LeBron and Durant for best SF in the NBA. Pierce was a better passer and defender than Melo at all times in their careers.

So what should he be paid if not the max? He can be signed and traded for 4 years with 5% raises. Pierce made 68 million ages 30-33. I think Melo should take a paycut to around that amount.

That means clear 16 million for next season and pay him 16-16.75-17.5-18.25 over 4 years (68.5 million total)

That would also entice Rondo to sign a team friendly extension for slightly below Melo (since he is not as good a player), 5 years 80 million for Rondo. Then Love, the best player of the 3, will make 15.5 and 16.5 his two years here through 2016. when he signs an extension it should be at 15% raise's to the 16.5, so 5 years of contracts of like 18-19-20-21-22 or 5/100. Not the 30% max of what should be a 70+ million cap by summer of 2016.

if the 3 of them combine for 50-55 million salaries over the next four years it will give the team, in a league with a 65-75m cap and 75-85m lux tax threshold the ability to stay around 85-90m in salaries and not pay over 100 million (including taxes) which should be Wyc's ceiling for team salary commitments.

I hope he signs for the Max with some team that i dislike.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The cheapest way to get Love:

Wallace, Bogans non-guaranteed, Sully, picks 6 and 17, our 2017 pick (that we can swap with the Nets) top 3 protected IF Love signs here long-term. Love just has to pick up his 2015-16 option for now.

That means 15.5 of Love comes in, 17 million goes out, including the cap hits for picks 6/17 and of course Minny doesn't have to pay Bogans. They get THREE top young talents in return.

That puts Boston at:

Love - 15.5

Rondo - 13

Green - 9.2

Bass - 7

Joel Anthony - 3.8

Bradley - 3.5 (QO)

Olynyk - 2

Faverani - 2

Pressey - 1

57 million. With a cap of around 65 million that is 8 million in cap space.

Tyson Chandler makes 14.6 million next year.

The Celtics trade Green, Anthony, Faverani and Bass (22 million) plus the cap space (8 million) to the Knicks for Chandler (14.6) and Melo signed at a deal starting around 16 million. 

That can be done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The Knicks also get the Nets unprotected 2016 pick (they will like that) and the better of our two first rd picks in 2015, unprotected. Serious value for a rebuilding club. Green and Bass are tradable assets as well.

The Celtics can sign Pierce to the taxpayer MLE, 2 years 6 million with an option (what Ray got in 2012 with Miami)

In a separate agreed upon deal with Minnesota the Celtics can use 6.8 of the 10.3 million TPE from Pierce's deal to acquire Kevin Martin. This is necessary for the Wolves to take on Wallace (over say Bass) b/c Martin has 3/21 left on his contract.

The Celtics still have 3.5 million left of the TPE to use with a different team. An option could be a sign and trade with the Suns for a player like Okafor. Chandler is an injury risk and Olynyk has not proven he can be a backup center for a playoff contender. Okafor would be a solid veteran insurance policy, a younger P.J. Brown, for the PF-C spots.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Now there is a SERIOUS title contender:

C - Chandler, Olynyk

PF - Love, Okafor

SF - Melo, Pierce

SG - Bradley, Martin

PG - Rondo, Pressey

Melo, Love and Martin may all be weak defenders, but they averaged a whopping 72.6 points per game between the 3 of them. 

Chandler, Okafor, Bradley and Rondo are all known to be very good defenders.

Pierce is a HOFer who proved even in these playoffs that he is far from spent as far as talent/impact and in a season where he started 68 games and played 75 of them at 28 mins per game, many at PF, and was the consummate 'glue guy' being asked to play 18-22 minutes a game and none at PF next year will make him a dangerous 6th man. 

If Olynyk, Bradley and Pressey, all age 23, improve by leaps and bounds... LOOK OUT!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Rame, Rame, Rame................you and your UCONN guys....LOL.......

How about Jordan Hill instead of Okafor?  Both are UFA's, and if Oke's injury is severe, we could try to get Hill cheaply!

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

Rame, Rame, Rame................you and your UCONN guys....LOL.......

How about Jordan Hill instead of Okafor?  Both are UFA's, and if Oke's injury is severe, we could try to get Hill cheaply!

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

Haha, Okafor is the type of guy I see sacrificing some $ for a good fit on a contender and like Ray Ray before him has New England roots and a classy gentlemanly demeanor. Hoops is just the beginning of a financially successful life for the man.

I would take Hill or Hump over Oak but at 3.5 million I doubt Hill is available. Hump we can of course keep b/c we have his Bird right's, but I see him and Hill both getting like 3 year 21 million contracts. With Hump Wyc would see that as 3/42 with the C's being taxpayers again and probably pass.

Hill and Hump are similar players. They deserve 18-22 minutes a game and will give you 7-8 points, 6-7 rebounds and a burly presence in the middle who fights for everything and is a good enforcer type off the bench who can start 25-35 games a year at 30 minutes in a pinch and even give you 13 and 9 for a solid month.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

He's a max player and is very underrated. Not his fault he plays for bad teams.

Case in point: who's better, Tim Duncan or KG? Why?

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

All thee would need to be willing to work with salary, so that, some could be left to purchase some shooters and rim protectors.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to vtfanofcs' comment:

I wish that curse on the Celtics.

Zen question: Is Melo the reason the Knicks suck?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to romneywins' comment:

All thee would need to be willing to work with salary, so that, some could be left to purchase some shooters and rim protectors.

Melo ranked 18th in 3pt attempts and 17th in 3FG% (40.2%). That's one less shooter. Moreover, Melo's assist:TO is better than 1:1. He can shoot, pass, and rebound 19.4 DRB this season. His 3rd best 32.4 Usage Rate indicates that he's a "go to" guy.

He would be a solution to several Cs ills.

That said, he's not coming here. What scares me is that he'll go to the Nets. That would render the Cs unprotected picks next to useless.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

The NETS??  Yes, good one.  Didn't think of them.  Yes, I hope he does go to the Nets.  Phil apparently can't handle rejection very well, as he's still smarting over the Steve Kerr fiasco.  Phil will never last 5 years with that dysfunctional team.

Melo is a great player, sure, but not a "Celtic"............I'd prefer Love any day.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Hes a professional. $1.53

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Anthony will NEVER, EVER be a Boston Celtic.....he might use us like he'd use any number of teams to create competition to drive up his salary, but he doesn't want to play here...his wife doesn't want to live here...forget Melo, he's simply not ever coming here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Not enough to reflect his actual value.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from newbill. Show newbill's posts

I don't see what the love affair anyone has with Melo?  Name a time or team e has made better?  Scorer sure but never known for hos passing, rebounding or toughness at crunch time.

If you had good team of tough minded experienced players maybe.  With the C's no thanks

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:

In response to vtfanofcs' comment:

I wish that curse on the Celtics.

Zen question: Is Melo the reason the Knicks suck?

YES!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"He's a max player and is very underrated. Not his fault he plays for bad teams."

He makes teams worse when he is option 1. When he left Denver they actually got BETTER. i do like him as the second or third option on the Heat though. 

"Case in point: who's better, Tim Duncan or KG? Why?"

Duncan, and it's not close. More durable, far better post-up game. 

As for the OP - I think Melo would take a pay cut in a situation like the Heat where everyone took a pay cut. Otherwise, probably not.

Sections
Shortcuts