How we got our last championship

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

Re: How we got our last championship

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Right now everything is speculation regarding what Ainge will do.

But if we were to analyze how the Celts got another championship after 21 years, it's simple, the Celts had more superior players.

Lebron and the Cavs couldn't keep up in 2008 because Lebron couldn't do it all by himself.

So did Kobe and the Lakers, Kobe and Pau Gasol were not enough.

The Celts simply had more firepower.

Sure the new salary cap rules will discourage teams from trying to create super teams like the Celtics Big 3 in 2008 and the Heat's current Big 3, but it doesn't mean you don't need star power anymore.

The NBA is a superstar driven league because it thrives if the best players are the ones winning championships.

Let's just put it this way, the Spurs would've won that championship last season if not for the 3-point shot of Lebron.

I know, it was Ray Allen who tied the game with that corner 3.

But Lebron is not known as 3-point shooter but he delivered when his team needed it the most.

Just like in 2008, if Paul Pierce didn't keep up with Lebron's 45 points, Pierce had 41 points, in Game 7 of that east semis, the Celts would still be stuck at 16 championships right now.

Right now what the Celts need is the next Celtic superstar.

It doesn't matter how Ainge will get that superstar as long as Ainge get him sooner than later.

One thing's for sure, Banner 18 will not become a reality until the Celts get that star player who will score a lot of points and make clutch baskets in the playoffs.

+ 1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

not unless you have shaq on your team

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

The problem with trading for a superstar is that usually that superstar is at or very near the end of his prime, so you end up with very short championship window.  If you build through the draft, you're window is substantially longer.  I think the Celtics will end up winning the Atlantic this year, which is going to really throw a monkey wrench into the build through the draft strategy.  35 wins this year just may be enough to win the Atlantic.  How pathetic is that?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

The problem with trading for a superstar is that usually that superstar is at or very near the end of his prime, so you end up with very short championship window.  If you build through the draft, you're window is substantially longer.  I think the Celtics will end up winning the Atlantic this year, which is going to really throw a monkey wrench into the build through the draft strategy.  35 wins this year just may be enough to win the Atlantic.  How pathetic is that?

I agree with you about building through the draft.

But I don't think the Celts can win 35 games.

This Celtics team will be a different team after the trade deadline.

Maybe 29 wins, but definitely not 35 wins.

I agree with that last statement"defininitely not 35 wins". I'm thinking more like 41 to 46 wins.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In a normal year, you would be correct, but this is not a normal year.  I've never seen a conference this bad before.  The eastern conference is pathetic this year.  That's gonna lead to a an inflated win-loss record.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In a normal year, you would be correct, but this is not a normal year.  I've never seen a conference this bad before.  The eastern conference is pathetic this year.  That's gonna lead to a an inflated win-loss record.

+ 1

10. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts