How will Rondo be blamed tonight?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Re: How will Rondo be blamed tonight?

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to basketbert's comment:

In response to JamezHill24's comment:

Rondo played great tonite, and should always be aggresive, but to those that say, "He has to do this every night", REALLY? He has to get a triple double every night for you guys to be satisfied? WOW.

For me, at this point in time, the ppg are the most important stat for rondo and the assists the least important. With this team, rondo has to average close to 20 ppg. I don't really mind him taking 15-20 shots to get it. It may develop his scoring.

Come on, that's not being realistic! Rondo has never been a scorer, he's a pass first PG.

It's like you're expecting KG to play like Tim Duncan. 

Just because the Celts need scoring it doesn't mean Rondo can do it. If you want scoring then get a scorer. Rondo is not Tony Parker or Westbrook. Trying to turn him into something he is not is not realistic.

I disagree on rondo.  He can be a scorer if he wants to.  He proved it last nite.  There is no reason he can't  do that game in and game out.  With our vets getting older he has to take charge on scoring.  It just comes down to taking open shots, which he has every game.  You also take a layup when it is there and don't pass it.  Assists are a over rated stat.  Bottom line is SOMEBODY has to put it in the basket.  I would rather RR average 8 assists a game and be counted on to score 18-25 a game.  Scoring would also make the opposing point guard work harder on the defensive end.

100% agree!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Rondo played great tonite, and should always be aggresive, but to those that say, "He has to do this every night", REALLY? He has to get a triple double every night for you guys to be satisfied? WOW.

For me, at this point in time, the ppg are the most important stat for rondo and the assists the least important. With this team, rondo has to average close to 20 ppg. I don't really mind him taking 15-20 shots to get it. It may develop his scoring.

Come on, that's not being realistic! Rondo has never been a scorer, he's a pass first PG.

Just because the Celts need scoring it doesn't mean Rondo can do it. If you want scoring then get a scorer. Rondo is not Tony Parker or Westbrook. Trying to turn him into something he is not is not realistic.

I disagree on rondo.  He can be a scorer if he wants to.  He proved it last nite.  There is no reason he can't  do that game in and game out.  With our vets getting older he has to take charge on scoring.  It just comes down to taking open shots, which he has every game.  You also take a layup when it is there and don't pass it.  Assists are a over rated stat.  Bottom line is SOMEBODY has to put it in the basket.  I would rather RR average 8 assists a game and be counted on to score 18-25 a game.  Scoring would also make the opposing point guard work harder on the defensive end.

It's a given that Rondo can't bring it every night. Many here say he's an enigma. So why are you expecting Rondo to reach his full potential?

Rondo is just an All-Star caliber PG. Whether he reaches superstar status remains to be seen. 

You think he can be a scorer. I disagree. How can someone who only shoots 64% from the FT line and is not even a 3-point shooter become a scorer?

It's not that hard to figure out, Rondo lacks the tools to be a scorer. It's very difficult for a PG to score 20 per game if he's not a good FT shooter and a 3-point shooter.

Rondo a scorer? Won't happen.

I didn't say it WOULD happen,  I said he could and we need it to happen.  He didn't need 3 pt shots last nite did he?  You are both praising him and bashing him in the same breath.  I see no reason why he can't put up shots every game. Assists come a lot easier when you are a threat to score.  Not sure what tool your talking about.  Every Rondo supporter has said how good his shot is this year,  some say it is the best in the league from 15 feet or so. You don't have to shoot 3 pt shots to score 20 pts.  I watched Rondo shoot 3's against Durant at the All star game.  He can shoot them but chooses not to.

I've heard he was "deadly" from mid range!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

It's a given that Rondo can't bring it every night. Many here say he's an enigma. So why are you expecting Rondo to reach his full potential?

Rondo is just an All-Star caliber PG. Whether he reaches superstar status remains to be seen. 

You think he can be a scorer. I disagree. How can someone who only shoots 64% from the FT line and is not even a 3-point shooter become a scorer?

It's not that hard to figure out, Rondo lacks the tools to be a scorer. It's very difficult for a PG to score 20 per game if he's not a good FT shooter and a 3-point shooter.

I didn't say it WOULD happen,  I said he could and we need it to happen.  He didn't need 3 pt shots last nite did he?  You are both praising him and bashing him in the same breath.  I see no reason why he can't put up shots every game. Assists come a lot easier when you are a threat to score.  Not sure what tool your talking about.  Every Rondo supporter has said how good his shot is this year,  some say it is the best in the league from 15 feet or so. You don't have to shoot 3 pt shots to score 20 pts.  I watched Rondo shoot 3's against Durant at the All star game.  He can shoot them but chooses not to.

How many scoring PGs out there shoot less than 30% from the 3pt line and less than 70% from the FT line?

You said he could, but since 2010 it hasn't happened. It's 2013 now. You said it yourself, Rondo is not a good FT shooter for a PG. And he's already a 7-year veteran. So why expect something from Rondo when after 7 years he has shown he can't do it?

He makes dumb plays because he's too hardheaded. Ask Tubby Smith and coach K. Rondo is Rondo and will always be Rondo.

Nearly every 3 pt shot Rondo has taken has been a contested 3 against a shot clock.  His percentage would go up signicantly if he would look for it and take open ones.  His free throws would also go up if he got to the line more. Trouble is passing the ball doesn't get you to the line.  

If he has to have superstars around him to be productive we are in a world of hurt.  Teams don't just go out and get superstars.  Rondo has the tools to be one.   If he can't score maybe he needs to be dangled in trade talks.  

You underestimate what he is capable of doing.

No! I don't underestimate what he's capable of doing. You said it yourself, it's year 7 and Rondo will turn 27 next month. 

We've known Rondo since he was a rookie. Rondo has never been able to average more than 13.7 ppg his whole career. He's just not a scorer.

There's no PG in the NBA that averages 18 ppg while shooting less than 70% from the FT line and less than 30% from 3pt land. None!

And yes, explore trading Rondo after the season. But not this season.

rondo can be the first....

somebody (i'm not gonna name any names doc) should have the balls to TELL him to score more. we need it. 5 years ago, we didn't.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Don't agree. The diff between a poorish FT (64%) and good FT shooter (84%) means only two points per 10 FTs attempted, which is one (if that) more fgm per game or so. Should not be a problem. And a PG does not have to rely on 3 pointers.

Oh really. How many scoring PGs out there have a FT% of less than 70% and a 3pt% of less than 30%?

How many?

You're starting to get it!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

How many scoring PGs out there shoot less than 30% from the 3pt line and less than 70% from the FT line?

You said he could, but since 2010 it hasn't happened. It's 2013 now. You said it yourself, Rondo is not a good FT shooter for a PG. And he's already a 7-year veteran. So why expect something from Rondo when after 7 years he has shown he can't do it?

He makes dumb plays because he's too hardheaded. Ask Tubby Smith and coach K. Rondo is Rondo and will always be Rondo.

Nearly every 3 pt shot Rondo has taken has been a contested 3 against a shot clock.  His percentage would go up signicantly if he would look for it and take open ones.  His free throws would also go up if he got to the line more. Trouble is passing the ball doesn't get you to the line.  

If he has to have superstars around him to be productive we are in a world of hurt.  Teams don't just go out and get superstars.  Rondo has the tools to be one.   If he can't score maybe he needs to be dangled in trade talks.  

You underestimate what he is capable of doing.

You're on your game today!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

OK guys, Royce White doesn't want to ride an airplane. 100% of current NBA players have no problem riding an airplane. We all know Royce White can do it if he puts his mind to it. But Royce White would rather not play in the NBA if he has to ride an airplane.

Same thing with Rondo. That was an uncontested lay-up but he opted to get fancy and ended up turning the ball over. Maybe 99% of NBA would have dunked that or went for a lay-up in that situation. But not Rondo!

Why?

Answer: Rondo has that inner Royce White.

Ask Tubby Smith!

You been hangin with Commie too long!!!

Oh really. I'm just speaking the truth.

Seriously, Rondo got suspended last season for throwing the ball at the ref. This season Rondo got suspended for bumping a ref. In the 2011 Rondo threw something at the TV and destroyed the TV. And you think Rondo doesn't have issues?

It was a joke Fierce.  Take it easy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

Don't agree. The diff between a poorish FT (64%) and good FT shooter (84%) means only two points per 10 FTs attempted, which is one (if that) more fgm per game or so. Should not be a problem. And a PG does not have to rely on 3 pointers.

Oh really. How many scoring PGs out there have a FT% of less than 70% and a 3pt% of less than 30%?

How many?

You're starting to get it!!

I got it a long time ago. Remember last season?

But here's the thing, we're not better off trading Rondo right now. We're not going to get equal value for Rondo. So let him stay until 2015. But if you insist, then shop him after the season. Just not right now.

I agree with you on that. I wanted to trade him for Cousins and i would still do it now, but if we can't get someone like that for him this year, than there is no point in giving him away for a less talented player or players.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

True we didn't need it 5 years ago. 

Here's the thing, there's no indication that Rondo's going to be a scorer. If you insist on believing that then you'll be disappointed. 

And like I said, just because we need it, it doesn't mean it will happen.

Kind of like all the trade proposals,  just because we need them doesn't mean they are going to happen.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

I've heard he was "deadly" from mid range!!

He was! and is! as any realtively smart person could see. He was fantastic last night Including hitting all of his midrange shots in the final five minutes. Thanks for playing. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

The decline of PP may be the single most determining factor in the C's bust of a season so far. There were a bunch of unknowns going into this season but PP wasn't supposed to be one of them. His legs and energy seem like he's aged 5 yrs in the off season. Either play him less and save his legs for what ever playoff run (Joke) we might have in or trade him to some team looking for a vet to put them over the top and tear this thing down. There is nothing worse than watching a franchise tread water at 500. Win or suck and bring me a high draft pick. Seems like the Lakers are using the latter strategy.....

The Lakers don't have a draft pick this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

Rondo will be blamed because he made KG so tired after giving KG a wide open shot!

Stop... KG was exhausted ...he was the only one on the boards and worked his A off... if you dont think players (esp at that age) get tired legs then youve never played... 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

In response to celtic213's comment:

In response to celtic213's comment:

I am sick of watching Rondo turn down wide open 12 foot shots to throw some fancy low return pass.

Rondo needs to shoot the f ing ball.

Really? These haters are ridiculous.

Not as ridiculous as Rondo's 4 turnovers.

Rondo has to realize that with Pierce and Garnett declining, he has to shoot more.

Pierce has to realize hes not quick,fast,or good enough to waste at least 10 possesions each game going 1 on 5. Doc has to realize that you cant call 2 timeouts in the final minute of the game and try to force Pierce the ball which obviously turned into 2 turnovers. Pierce and Doc and the haters have to realize Rondo is just better then Pierce and its time to give him the ball and the team and not be held down by Pierces walking up court in transtition and empty possesions on his useless isolations

True.

Rondo has to shoot more. He can get his own shot anytime he wants to.

And I am pretty sure that you were one of the many last year that said  he shouldnt shoot at all because he cant shoot....right?  Now because you cant criticise him because he played great you target the fact that he should have shot more..... classic!!

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts