Howard trade possibility

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shamrocks4ever. Show Shamrocks4ever's posts

Howard trade possibility

While the Celtics will have plenty of money to pay Howard to come in as a free agent next summer, Orlando may prefer to trade him and get something back, rather than winding up empty-handed as Cleveland did with Lebron last summer.  Also, there's chatter that Dwight "doesn't want to go to Boston," "hates cold weather," etc. that might hurt the C's chances of bringing him in as a free agent (although - I've never seen a source cited for those statements, so I don't put too much stock in them; also, didn't we often hear that KG would refuse to come to Boston back in 2007?).  Bottom line, though, is that Howard might not be there if Boston waits to nab him as a free agent - so, what about a trade?
      This one requires us to touch some "sacred cows," but it could really help both teams, and it works on the ESPN trade machine:  trade KG, Rondo, and JO to Orlando for Dwight Howard and Gilbert Arenas. 
      Why it works for Boston:  they get Dwight Howard and still have plenty of money left to go after either Chris Paul or Deron Williams next summer as free agents (and having Dwight on the roster would make Boston a much more attractive destination for them).  Anything from Arenas would be a bonus - he's basically there just to make the salaries work.  It would hurt to lose KG - I love that guy's defense and leadership, but business is business.  I also hate to lose Rondo - he's at the very least a top 10 point guard in this league, but if Paul or Williams can be lured in by adding Dwight, it's worth giving him up (even if it means depending on Delonte and Avery Bradley at PG in the meantime.  JO's just a bit player at this point and very expendable since if this actually happened the C's would be all set at center.
      Why it works for Orlando:  they avoid losing Dwight for nothing.  Instead, they get KG, who is still first-team all defense and one of the best power forwards in the league; Rondo, who is young, also first-team all defense this year and (warts and all) a great and unique talent; and JO, who is a serviceable center - between him and KG, that almost fills the void Howard would leave.  Plus, by adding Rondo, the Magic could trade Nelson to get another good big man (or if they really think Nelson's better than Rondo, they could pass Rondo on via trade).  Plus they get to dump Arenas' contract.
      I can see both teams coming out better in the long run from this.  For next year, the Celtics could have a roster of:
    PG-Delonte West in 2011-2012 with a good chance of adding Chris Paul or Deron Williams for 2012-2013 (Delonte could then move to the bench)
    SG-Ray Allen
    SF-Paul Pierce
    PF-Jeff Green
    C-Dwight Howard
    Bench - Gilbert Arenas, Avery Bradley, Glen Davis (if he doesn't leave as a FA)... after that it gets pretty uncertain as to who'll even be here. 
      This would be a team with a pretty thin bench, but a very good starting lineup (nice mix of youth, experience, and talent) in 2011-2012 and a great starting lineup in 2012-2013 if you add either Paul or Williams.
      Will it happen?  Probably not - there are so many trade scenarios out there that the chances of any one of them actually happening are slim.  But I think this is a very realistic trade that helps both teams moving forward (BTW - according to the trade machine, it's a dead-even trade in the short term with both teams projecting to -2 wins; but this trade is just the first step for Boston in luring that top-tier PG as a free agent next summer).
      The other caveat in all this is the looming lockout.  Keep our fingers crossed that it doesn't mess everything up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shamrocks4ever. Show Shamrocks4ever's posts

Re: Howard trade possibility

In Response to Howard trade possibility:
    [QUOTE]  While the Celtics will have plenty of money to pay Howard to come in as a free agent next summer, Orlando may prefer to trade him and get something back, rather than winding up empty-handed as Cleveland did with Lebron last summer.  Also, there's chatter that Dwight "doesn't want to go to Boston," "hates cold weather," etc. that might hurt the C's chances of bringing him in as a free agent (although - I've never seen a source cited for those statements, so I don't put too much stock in them; also, didn't we often hear that KG would refuse to come to Boston back in 2007?).  Bottom line, though, is that Howard might not be there if Boston waits to nab him as a free agent - so, what about a trade?   This one requires us to touch some "sacred cows," but it could really help both teams, and it works on the ESPN trade machine:  trade KG, Rondo, and JO to Orlando for Dwight Howard and Gilbert Arenas.    Why it works for Boston:  they get Dwight Howard and still have plenty of money left to go after either Chris Paul or Deron Williams next summer as free agents (and having Dwight on the roster would make Boston a much more attractive destination for them).  Anything from Arenas would be a bonus - he's basically there just to make the salaries work.  It would hurt to lose KG - I love that guy's defense and leadership, but business is business.  I also hate to lose Rondo - he's at the very least a top 10 point guard in this league, but if Paul or Williams can be lured in by adding Dwight, it's worth giving him up (even if it means depending on Delonte and Avery Bradley at PG in the meantime.  JO's just a bit player at this point and very expendable since if this actually happened the C's would be all set at center.   Why it works for Orlando:  they avoid losing Dwight for nothing.  Instead, they get KG, who is still first-team all defense and one of the best power forwards in the league; Rondo, who is young, also first-team all defense this year and (warts and all) a great and unique talent; and JO, who is a serviceable center - between him and KG, that almost fills the void Howard would leave.  Plus, by adding Rondo, the Magic could trade Nelson to get another good big man (or if they really think Nelson's better than Rondo, they could pass Rondo on via trade).  Plus they get to dump Arenas' contract.   I can see both teams coming out better in the long run from this.  For next year, the Celtics could have a roster of: PG-Delonte West in 2011-2012 with a good chance of adding Chris Paul or Deron Williams for 2012-2013 (Delonte could then move to the bench) SG-Ray Allen SF-Paul Pierce PF-Jeff Green C-Dwight Howard Bench - Gilbert Arenas, Avery Bradley, Glen Davis (if he doesn't leave as a FA)... after that it gets pretty uncertain as to who'll even be here.    This would be a team with a pretty thin bench, but a very good starting lineup (nice mix of youth, experience, and talent) in 2011-2012 and a great starting lineup in 2012-2013 if you add either Paul or Williams.   Will it happen?  Probably not - there are so many trade scenarios out there that the chances of any one of them actually happening are slim.  But I think this is a very realistic trade that helps both teams moving forward (BTW - according to the trade machine, it's a dead-even trade in the short term with both teams projecting to -2 wins; but this trade is just the first step for Boston in luring that top-tier PG as a free agent next summer).   The other caveat in all this is the looming lockout.  Keep our fingers crossed that it doesn't mess everything up.
    Posted by Shamrocks4ever[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shamrocks4ever. Show Shamrocks4ever's posts

P.S. - Lots of chatter about the Lakers trading for Howard or getting him as a FA next summer.  I don't think the FA thing is happening for them, if only because Orlando may trade D. Howard first, but also because the Lakers won't have the money to pay him unless they make a big salary-cutting move first.  The trade is more likely, but if I'm Orlando I don't accept anything less than Bynum AND Gasol for Dwight Howard (and Arenas to make the money work).  Odom's good, but I think the giant tandem of Bynum and Gasol is just a little more attractive than Bynum-Odom.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

In Response to Re: Howard trade possibility:
    [QUOTE]P.S. - Lots of chatter about the Lakers trading for Howard or getting him as a FA next summer.  I don't think the FA thing is happening for them, if only because Orlando may trade D. Howard first, but also because the Lakers won't have the money to pay him unless they make a big salary-cutting move first.  The trade is more likely, but if I'm Orlando I don't accept anything less than Bynum AND Gasol for Dwight Howard (and Arenas to make the money work).  Odom's good, but I think the giant tandem of Bynum and Gasol is just a little more attractive than Bynum-Odom.
    Posted by Shamrocks4ever[/QUOTE]

Highly doubtful Gasol and Bynum would be traded for Dwight.  The Lakers need only stand pat and get a quick defensive PG. If Howard does make his way to L.A., Bynum and Odom would be the most that I would give up. Mitch will undoubtedly have the Lakers contending again next year. The celtics are in a heap of trouble with what ainge has done with them. Maybe Mchale becomes the GM of the heat and then gives the celtics wade and lebron for delonte and big baby. Wink

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Yes, trade Bynum and Odom............then your frontcourt would be Artest, Gasol and Theo Ratliff!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, trade Bynum and Odom............then your frontcourt would be Artest, Gasol and Theo Ratliff!!
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

Bynum and Odom for D12,  can you not read?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nZone. Show nZone's posts

All the Lakers needs is a PG and be good teammates.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

i wouldn't put (and i doubt doc and danny are putting) all our eggs in the dwight howard basket. i see it as a 60-70% chance that he ends up in LA. likely via a big time trade.

any evaluation of our team in this offseason begins with doc. i'm glad he's planning on staying. is doc the best coach in the league? no. have i at times been critical of him? yes. but he's decent. he does a good job. and we need the continuity of keeping our championship head coach to acquire whatever big name free agents we are going after. in other words, whether you're talking about howard, paul or anyone of that caliber, they need to know what they're getting into. and a brand new coach running a brand new scheme is not going to attract guys like that. plus, doc's just a good guy. so i'm glad he wants to be here. but he will have to show his coaching strategy can evolve; something he has not necessarily demonstrated to date.

then you have to look at ainge. he takes a lot of heat. he's an easy target for the monday morning QB crowd. and he certainly has taken some gambles. but most of them have paid off. not all, but most. we have been to 2 finals since he put this team together in '07 and won it all once. that's not bad. and, heck, it's been entertaining. but he will have his work cut out for him this summer.

then you look at the players we already have. in my mind, rondo and green represent the youth movement that's going to take place over the next 2 years. you have to keep them or get something in return for them. i'd rather see them both starting in boston next year.

then you gotta take a real hard look at the big 3. the reality is that they're too old to do what doc is trying to have them do. they can't play 40 minutes a night anymore. they're great players, but like all great players do, they're aging. they run out of gas easier and more often. so you have to look real hard at either trading them or moving them to the bench. are they willing to come off the bench? who knows. each of them would still make a nice addition to a team trying to get over the hump. ray allen coming off the bench in chicago? sounds awesome. KG spelling gasol in LA or nowitzki in dallas? sounds awesome. paul coming off the bench for (gasp) the heat? might be just the bench punch they need to make them unstoppable.

now i'm not saying we'd necessarily want to make chicago or miami stronger, since we'll have to face them all year long. i'm just saying that there are teams out there, in both conferences, that would want to add one of our big 3 to their bench to help them make it to finals. so you have to consider what you can get in exchange for them. even rondo dishing to lebron and wade might be something that would make miami fans' mouths water.

myself, i'd like to see rondo here and green starting, with paul coming off the bench to spell him. green is not a 4, as some would like to make him. no move than big baby is a 5. green is a wing player; one that would look good running with rondo for 35 minutes a night. and paul is not a 2-guard, as some are suggesting. he can't stay in front of most 3s now. most 2 would blow past him so fast his head would spin. again, no disrespect, he's just getting older.

as for the rest, i'd like to see what bradley can do with more PT. i liked what i saw from wafer in limited action. i think jermaine o'neal can contribute for one more year. i think big baby is valuable as a backup, even a starter in the right lineup. i don't see shaq, murphy, pavlovic or arroyo making the team next year. (wow, was murphy a bust or what?) west and krstic are on the bubble in my mind; i could take 'em or leave 'em.

so, doc and danny have got to get creative this summer. i think we'll see a very different celtics team 2 years from now. the question will be how much of that evolution will occur this summer. it should be fun. it should be interesting. and i'm looking forward to seeing what kind of team we assemble this fall and in the fall of 2012.

thanks, celtics. it's been an enjoyable few years!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Howard trade possibility : Bynum and Odom for D12,  can you not read?
    Posted by Tayshawn[/QUOTE]

Great, do that!!  It doesn't work money wise - and WHY would ORL make that trade?  Haven't heard a good reason yet!!  It doesn't make you any better, son, you need a PG!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Howard trade possibility : Great, do that!!  It doesn't work money wise - and WHY would ORL make that trade?  Haven't heard a good reason yet!!  It doesn't make you any better, son, you need a PG!!

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/144284/20110511/dwight-howard-magic-lakers-bynum.htm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-8362749

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports-sentinel-sports-now/2011/02/22/espn-host-predicts-dwight-howard-will-be-with-lakers-in-future/

That enough for ya? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Howard trade possibility : Great, do that!!  It doesn't work money wise - and WHY would ORL make that trade?  Haven't heard a good reason yet!!  It doesn't make you any better, son, you need a PG!!

of course, there would fillers to the deal, common sense,,, common sense.......

orlando would do the deal because it will be the best and most of anything else they can get, and they don't want to lose him for nothing like lebron and the cavs. common sense,,, common sense............

The PG position is not that tough to fill. With the Lakers still running the triangle if Brian Shaw becomes the head coach, the Lakers just need a better defensive PG, not a scorer. common sense,,, common sense...........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Howard trade possibility : of course, there would fillers to the deal, common sense,,, common sense....... orlando would do the deal because it will be the best and most of anything else they can get, and they don't want to lose him for nothing like lebron and the cavs. common sense,,, common sense............ The PG position is not that tough to fill. With the Lakers still running the triangle if Brian Shaw becomes the head coach, the Lakers just need a better defensive PG, not a scorer. common sense,,, common sense...........

Brian Shaw running triangle?  The big question will be Brian Shaw running the team.  Just wait, you will see them implode.  Get a defensive point guard.  But Brian will bust out trying to motivate Artest and getting Bynum and Kome to co-exist.  A kid can draw triangles on paper.  Getting players to follow is another thing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

Orlando will make the trade for the same reasons Philly traded us Wilt, Milwaukee traded us kareem and Orlando traded us Shaq. You can't fight Laker Tradition.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

hedley is wanting people to think that the Lakers are in the same miserable boat as his celtics, but he makes no sense and cannot fathom the thought of D Howard coming to L.A.

hedley is a poor man, and I kind of feel bad for him and his celtics who are undoubtedly on a downward spiral. Cry

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medneggler. Show Medneggler's posts

Dont be surprised when you see this on Sportscenter in a few weeks:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2dp2f36

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

Medneggler, according to the genius, hedley...  This trade does not work?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

HAHAHHAHA right. The magic are going to trade for a loser like bynum. dream on Laker fans.

Here is your future. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Howard trade possibility : http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/144284/20110511/dwight-howard-magic-lakers-bynum.htm http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-8362749 http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports-sentinel-sports-now/2011/02/22/espn-host-predicts-dwight-howard-will-be-with-lakers-in-future/ That enough for ya? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Posted by Laker-Nation32[/QUOTE]

Means nothing to me and I don't have the time!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Howard trade possibility : of course, there would fillers to the deal, common sense,,, common sense....... orlando would do the deal because it will be the best and most of anything else they can get, and they don't want to lose him for nothing like lebron and the cavs. common sense,,, common sense............ The PG position is not that tough to fill. With the Lakers still running the triangle if Brian Shaw becomes the head coach, the Lakers just need a better defensive PG, not a scorer. common sense,,, common sense...........

Fillers?? You have no one anyone wants!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Howard trade possibility : Orlando will make the trade for the same reasons Philly traded us Wilt, Milwaukee traded us kareem and Orlando traded us Shaq. You can't fight Laker Tradition.
    Posted by lakersavenger[/QUOTE]
    Sure, now that must be the reason.........that is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Let's be reasonable here. There's no combination of players on the Celtics roster whom the Magic would want in return for an elite impact player of Dwight Howard's caliber. Rajon Rondo would be the only intriguing piece, and he's nowhere near enough of an asset to land Howard.

Realistically, Howard will either stay in Orlando, or be traded to a team that (A) can absorb Orlando's bad contracts and (B) replenish the organization with several talented players. While there could be a surprise club that meets this criteria (Dallas? Oklahoma City?), the obvious trade partner is the Los Angeles Lakers. If I were Otis Smith, I'd make the following offer:

To LAL: Dwight Howard, Gilbert Arenas, Hedo Turkoglu.
    To ORL: Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom, Ron Artest.

The Lakers could use the MLE to sign a C/PF: someone like Nenad Krstic would fit well. Perhaps they could combine Walton, Blake and some draft picks into a semi-decent PG/SG. In any event, while their bench would be a lot thinner, the Howard-Kobe duo would be tough to stop, and Turkoglu is a good complimentary player on the right team.

From Orlando's perspective, the Magic would clear a ton of deadweight and basically trade Howard for four very useful players, three of whom can start. Even though they lose Howard, their overall team improves.

I see this as a win-win for both the Magic and Lakers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

hedley, are you just dumb or do you have reading comprehension disorder???

Bynum, Gasol, and Odom are 3 players that any team would love to have. As in the majority of trades, other players are often included to make trades work, or to dump salary for the future. Dr. Buss is the BESt in the business at getting what he wants when he wants it.

Thanks for attempting to be debbie downer, and as a celtic fan, I cannot fault your pessimism. Laughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]hedley, are you just dumb or do you have reading comprehension disorder??? Bynum, Gasol, and Odom are 3 players that any team would love to have. As in the majority of trades, other players are often included to make trades work, or to dump salary for the future. Dr. Buss is the BESt in the business at getting what he wants when he wants it. Thanks for attempting to be debbie downer, and as a celtic fan, I cannot fault your pessimism.

Gasol is a player anyone would love to have - but not at 3 and 57 - understand?

Odom has already been around the league, and his rep speaks for itself - 2 yrs 16?

Bynum is NOT as good as Howard, and I wouldn't make that trade because the improvement will be negligible.   you need a PG 3 yrs 36 mill

Again, WHY is ORL doing this??

Bynum for PAUL is interesting, but hurts your frontcourt length!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatison. Show heatison's posts

What makes Boston an attactive place to come play is traditions/History. Dwight Howard may not be in play next year. No one knows whats going to happen with the lockout looming. Boston has a solid team may just need a few tweaks. Chris Paul who I do believe is in play would be a nice pickup, someone who drives to the basket alot and get to the free throw line.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

If the Lakers were to trade Bynum for Howard, it WOULD make them better from the standpoint of having a quality, durable big man. The Lakers have always had quality centers and Howard fits that description. We may not get a Chris Paul type Guard, but I think Mitch can get an "adequate" PG. I'm pretty sure Mitch would go after Howard before Chris Paul or Derron Williams if the opportunity was there.

Sections
Shortcuts