Huge Assets After the Lockout

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Huge Assets After the Lockout

Does that mean we all have to get NRA cards?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The Lakers can offer a lot better than one year Garnett/Allen salary dumps for Howard/Arenas. The Lakers could absorb Arenas' contract and still send the Magic a player or two who could contribute for multiple years (Bynum, Gasol, Odom, Artest, etc.) I also think that realistically, even if the Celtics could offer an equally enticing deal, the lures of warm winters and Hollywood celebrity would be too great for Howard to pass up.

Howard is either going to stay in Orlando (because the new CBA will tilt heavily in favor of keeping players with their current teams) or go to the Lakers. I give a team like the Bulls or Thunder an outside chance at landing him, depending on how much of their youth they're willing to surrender.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Huge Assets After the Lockout:
    [QUOTE]The Lakers can offer a lot better than one year Garnett/Allen salary dumps for Howard/Arenas. The Lakers could absorb Arenas' contract and still send the Magic a player or two who could contribute for multiple years (Bynum, Gasol, Odom, Artest, etc.) I also think that realistically, even if the Celtics could offer an equally enticing deal, the lures of warm winters and Hollywood celebrity would be too great for Howard to pass up. Howard is either going to stay in Orlando (because the new CBA will tilt heavily in favor of keeping players with their current teams) or go to the Lakers. I give a team like the Bulls or Thunder an outside chance at landing him, depending on how much of their youth they're willing to surrender.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

Stronly disagree on a couple of points:
    NO ONE wants Artest, that is ridiculous.  Gasol?  What would the lakers do with 2 centers?  The ONLY trade possible is Bynum, Odom and Walton for Howard and Arenas.  If Mitch Kupchak did that, he should be fired!!  That is a terrible deal for the lakers.  Arenas and koME on the court at the same time WITH Howard??  Poor Mike Brown won't last the year with that group.
    It is POSSIBLE Howard comes to Boston - slim chance, maybe, but with Howard, Rondo, Green and Pierce as 6th man, that's a pretty good team going forward, certainly better than ORL.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldschoolfan. Show oldschoolfan's posts

In Response to Huge Assets After the Lockout:
    [QUOTE]KG and Ray's contracts are huge assets after the lockout. It's almost impossible if the owners would agree to retain the soft cap, so it's either a hard cap or a flex cap. That means an expiring contract like KG's, which pays KG 21.2m for 2011-12, will have more value because it allows another team to get cap relief. Some may not like the idea of trading KG, but 21.2m is a lot of money, especially if the soft cap is abolished. I've been called a fraud for saying Dwight Howard could end up wearing Celtic green after next season. I think that all changed after Dwight refused to sign an extension with the Magic before the lockout. That means Dwight's future contract would fall under the conditions of the new CBA. This is where Danny Ainge's moves to free up cap space for 2012 pays off. Right now the Celtics have a great coach in Doc, the cap space in 2012, and Boston is a big-market team. It would be foolish of Dwight to not consider the Celts and Danny Ainge would not be doing his job if he didn't try to land Dwight. What I'm thinking is if the Celts offered KG and Ray for Dwight and Arenas it would be an offer the Magic can't refuse. The Magic would have 40m off their payroll in 2012-13. And for a hard cap or a flex cap that's a lot of money.    
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Depends on what happens with KG and Ray.  KG may or may not retire, depends on if we win the championship or not, if the Celtics want to bring him back it will have to be at a drastically reduced salary.  I don't think Dwight Howard wants to come to Boston, although it's great to think of the lineup we could have.  How long has it been since we had a center that could play both ends of the floor?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Mployee8, I think you're on to something with the possible changing face of the Lakers.

As for KG and Ray being huge assets post-lockout, I really think Ray will be an asset.  I can see a team looking to move a player in the $10 million range with more than one year on the contract in exchange for Ray's expiring contact as well as his "still effective" skills.

However, I cannot see anybody taking KG's contract in exchange for at least 2 talented, younger players and possibly a draft pick.  KG won't have much to offer a team (outside of an expiring contract) since it may very well be his final season.

The Celtics will be in the same position as these teams -- looking to lower their cap.  I just don't see KG or Ray going anywhere because they would best serve the Celtics needs coming off the books after next season.  The only way you trade either one of them is for a deal involving Dwight Howard.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from todoubled17. Show todoubled17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Huge Assets After the Lockout : That's what I proposed, Dwight and Arenas for KG and Ray.

Howard would have to sign an extension as part of the deal. Would suck if DH walked after one year and we're stuck with Arenas' horrendous contract.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Why would the Celtics trade for Howard (and take on Arenas contract) rather than let Ray and KG come off the books and make a run for him then (without including Arenas)?

I can see the Magic looking to trade him by the trade deadline but nobody is going to want to take him (and possibly Arenas or Hedo) without knowing he WILL sign a new long-term contract.  That's a gamble I'm not sure the Celtics will make.  I can see the Celtics doing a sign and trade with Orlando AFTER the season since the Celtics will have some cap space.  I don't think the Magic will lose him for nothing (even if they get a HUGE trade exception on a sign and trade with someone like Cleveland and Toronto got when James and Bosh left for essentially no players).

If Orlando is going to trade Howard, they will want someone (or two/three players) good and young in return, not cap space since they won't be an attractive destination after losing Howard anyway.  With cap space, nobody would want to go play there since Howard is gone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Why would the Celtics trade for Howard (and take on Arenas contract) rather than let Ray and KG come off the books and make a run for him then (without including Arenas)? I can see the Magic looking to trade him by the trade deadline but nobody is going to want to take him (and possibly Arenas or Hedo) without knowing he WILL sign a new long-term contract.  That's a gamble I'm not sure the Celtics will make.  I can see the Celtics doing a sign and trade with Orlando AFTER the season since the Celtics will have some cap space.  I don't think the Magic will lose him for nothing (even if they get a HUGE trade exception on a sign and trade with someone like Cleveland and Toronto got when James and Bosh left for essentially no players). If Orlando is going to trade Howard, they will want someone (or two/three players) good and young in return, not cap space since they won't be an attractive destination after losing Howard anyway.  With cap space, nobody would want to go play there since Howard is gone.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Agree, Petey.  ORL, MIA and LAL are all in the same boat.  They overpaid these guys for mega-years, and now have to pay the piper.  I love the Bosh or Gasol trade proposals.  Those guys have 4 and 5 years left, respectively.  I HATE Arenas coming to BOS - I agree they should wait.  What is the point in trying to create all this cap space, when it can be wiped out by that ridiculous contract?  Arenas, Lewis, Childress and Walton have the four worst contracts in the league, followed by Turkoglu and Gasol - no thanks to any of them!!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Huge Assets After the Lockout : The Celts can wait for Dwight to become a free agent. That's one option. But I don't think the Magic will just let him walk without getting anything in return.  Here's my updated trade proposal: Celtics get Dwight and Arenas Hawks get KG and and a draft pick Magic get Ray, Josh Smith, Hinrich, and a draft pick Players like Jamal Crawford and Glen Davis could be involved depending on the new CBA.

So, Rondo, Arenas, Pierce/Green, ? and Howard

usually like your trade proposals, but no thanks on this one.  I think Arenas is done, and we have no power forward.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fierce, that sounds tempting but we would no longer have a capable power forward.  I would not put Howard back into the situation he left in Orlando by playing essentially a small forward Green at the power forward like it was with Hedo and Lewis (take your pick) at the PF.

And then you look at how hamstrung we'd be with Arenas' contract that we probably could not go out and get a PF.

Also, I am not a fan of replacing Ray with Arenas.  I don't like that move either.

I'd have to pass on that trade idea too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

If Jim Buss is "setting up Drew" he'd have to be a moron.  I mean really, bynum has messed them over a couple of years now delaying surgery and rehab until it was convenient for HIM and not the team = bynumb missed a lot of regular season time.

that's called lazy, maybe also crazy.  nobody would build a team around an underachiever.  if you can't get someone to ACHIEVE on their own, as we have also failed with rondo, then heaping loads of poetic license and self importance on top of that will do less than nothing. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

How about Pierce and Rondo and the Clippers #1, for Howard and Nelson?

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

After "The Chief" the Celtics had Eric Montross, Pervis Ellison, Travis Knight, Andrew DeClercq, Vitaly Potapenko, Tony Battie, Kendrick Perkins, and now JO. When will the search for a dominating big man end?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

[QUOTE]If Jim Buss is "setting up Drew" he'd have to be a moron.  I mean really, bynum has messed them over a couple of years now delaying surgery and rehab until it was convenient for HIM and not the team = bynumb missed a lot of regular season time. that's called lazy, maybe also crazy.  nobody would build a team around an underachiever.  if you can't get someone to ACHIEVE on their own, as we have also failed with rondo, then heaping loads of poetic license and self importance on top of that will do less than nothing. 
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]
    Actually his Doctor is the one who wanted to wait on surgery

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1184609/3/index.htm

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Huge Assets After the Lockout : The Celts can wait for Dwight to become a free agent. That's one option. But I don't think the Magic will just let him walk without getting anything in return.  Here's my updated trade proposal: Celtics get Dwight and Arenas Hawks get KG and and a draft pick Magic get Ray, Josh Smith, Hinrich, and a draft pick Players like Jamal Crawford and Glen Davis could be involved depending on the new CBA.
    Mavs may not have a choice.Who`ll take him if he refuses to sign an extention and opts for free agency?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

[QUOTE]After "The Chief" the Celtics had Eric Montross, Pervis Ellison, Travis Knight, Andrew DeClercq, Vitaly Potapenko, Tony Battie, Kendrick Perkins, and now JO. When will the search for a dominating big man end?
    Posted by ConnectingRod[/QUOTE]

After DJ, the Celtics tried 17 different people at PG -- and now people want to trade Rondo.  No accounting for taste. :-)

25. This post has been removed.