Hump Wished Employees Good Luck

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: Hump Wished Employees Good Luck

In response to fbombfury's comment:

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

Petey - how do we know BOS is not an ideal destination for FA's?

We've never had salary cap space before.

These guys will go for the money.........and if we are smart, we can get a really good player in free agency.

I disagree with the whole premise.  People used to say that about the Red Sox and Patriots.......about how no African-American players would  come to BOS....it's too cold....blah blah.

If you put enough green in their pockets, green will become their favorite color!

Son, wake up from your two week slumber!  FA's like LA get over it.  Hearing Love, James and Antony mulling over west coast.  If FA's want to come to cold weather Boston they would've already came when you Paul "Wheelchair" Pierce, Kevin Garnett and lil Rondo.  Fact is NO ONE showed up!  The fact of the matter is your owners are to damn cheap.  Enjoy!

Son - we had no cap space with KG and PP.   Love can't come until after the 2015 season.  I also heard James and Anthony want to come to LA, and play for the Clips.

Youareatool and a fool.

We shall see what Free Agency brings.  Still waiting for your explanation on how the lakers will have enough money to sign these people...................I'll wait!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Hedley, I think you're taking it the wrong way.  I'm not suggesting race has anything to do with FAs shunning Boston.  I'm simply saying Boston isn't one of the glamour cities like Miami, LA, Chicago and NY that attract FAs simply because.

Also, there aren't any players on our roster that anyone wants to play with.  Rondo is the closest but I'm not sure he'll even be around during the summer of 2015.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

Hedley, I think you're taking it the wrong way.  I'm not suggesting race has anything to do with FAs shunning Boston.  I'm simply saying Boston isn't one of the glamour cities like Miami, LA, Chicago and NY that attract FAs simply because.

Also, there aren't any players on our roster that anyone wants to play with.  Rondo is the closest but I'm not sure he'll even be around during the summer of 2015.

Petey - didn't mean to imply race with the Celtics - Sox, yes.

My point is - everyone says the Celtics  can't attract free agents.  I say the jury is still out on that one:

in the "old days" - they had to use slots to sign players.  If you didn't use a slot, it was gone off the books.  This resulted in us signing such "marquee" players as Dominique Wilkins and the X man, in their last years.

Later, we made very bad decsions, and had our money tied up in the Mark Blounts and Pervis Ellison's of the world.

Recently, we've had our money tied up in RA, PP and KG.

See, we have never had the opportunity to even talk to the "marquee" free agents.  We don't know, in my opinion, if they want to play here or not.

I say if Josh Smith can get a huge deal from DET (ever been there???) then there is hope we can get a good player.  DET is a mess, from the GM to the coach, to the weather.

We have DA, Stevens, and a nice core of young players........let's give it time!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Hedley, you make a good point about us never before having the available cap space to see if FAs want to come.  However, I'm still not sure they'll want to come to Boston.

Again, who would attract them here?  Rondo?

As for Josh Smith, I don't classify him as an elite FA that I'd clamour for the Celtics to acquire.

I guess my initial point, that Fierce challenged, was that signing Hump this offseason would not set us back that much.  If we have 3 quality PF/C-capable bigs totalling a combined $10M in salary per year, I don't see where that would prohibit us from picking up a FA in 2015.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

Hedley, you make a good point about us never before having the available cap space to see if FAs want to come.  However, I'm still not sure they'll want to come to Boston.

Again, who would attract them here?  Rondo?

As for Josh Smith, I don't classify him as an elite FA that I'd clamour for the Celtics to acquire.

I guess my initial point, that Fierce challenged, was that signing Hump this offseason would not set us back that much.  If we have 3 quality PF/C-capable bigs totalling a combined $10M in salary per year, I don't see where that would prohibit us from picking up a FA in 2015.

I don't either.  But, right now we have four, and one of either Bass or Hump has to go.......Bass is cheaper and has one year left.  Hump is expiring.  Depends what other teams want, but one will have to go.  I like Hump, and always did...but he'll want a multi-year deal, I think!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

Petey ... I like your thinking. I have suggested a home town discount to keep him but Fiercy insists Hump is looking for one more big contract. If he'd be open to a three year deal in some configuration worth $18-24MM he'd be a nice fit and could easily be moved in a year or two if need be.

So if Humpy stays and you're paying him $8m. Is he going to take Oly or Sully's minutes? They need more minutes.

If he does play well next year then how does that help the Celtics? It might make us make the playoffs. How does that help us in the long run?

I'd agree with you if we had an allstar shooter to go with Rondo and a rim protector. We don't so keeping Humpy at $8m for 3 years is self defeating. 

Tank this year and next, sign or trade for a free agent all star then you can go looking for Humpy like players. Hopefully at less money.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Guys, I think the reasons that the Celtics don't attract big name free agents is quite simple...

Boston has been historically the greatest franchise in NBA history....but for 20 somethings (or teenagers) they have no sense of our history....

The "kids" of today are looking for ...big bucks....great nightlife....great weather....and (once again) big bucks.....we can offer the big bucks....they have no interest in our culture and the weather sucks during the winter and early spring.....remember the Sox play during the summer....and football players have no problem playing in "the eliments"...

The Celts are way behind cities like Los Angeles (two teams that offer great weather, beaches, nightlife, and Hollywood), Miami and Orlando (great weather and attractions plus no state taxes)....Dallas and Houston (no state taxes)....we are not a destination for today's players....that's just my opinion....as a fan who remembers when everyone wanted to play for the Bost Celtics....times have changed.....

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts