Hunter's Laughable Comment

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Re: Hunter's Laughable Comment

It's laughable but also appalling.

Give me 5 Million a year for 10 years and I'd never have a financial problem in my life. Give me 5 Million for one year and I'd be extremely comfortable.

Some of these guys must have their brains hardwired differently to me. If you earn 20 Million over an NBA career you should be comfortable for life. Go back to school, do community work or raise your kids, it would be a fine lifestyle.

With comments like that Fisher wouldn't be making friends for the players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

If a college grad with a Masters Degree was able to start out at age 24 earning $100K per year....worked for about 35 years and took an early retirement at age 59 1/2 (age eligible to draw from IRA/401k).....factoring in modest annual salary increases....that person would probably earn about $3.65M during his/her lifetime.....that is less than the average NBA salary.....and Hunter isn't sure how long the money would last these guys....?

This just shows what a joke modern professional athletics has become.....these guys need to understand how fortunate they are to be earning these salaries....instead, it just seems that they feel all the more entitled.....it is both laughable and sad.....these kids have no clue...and their leaders aren't very realistice either...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

What a joke.  Hunter is implying that after an NBA player logs in his few years of ball, he should be financially set for life. Now the owners want to take away from that model  LOL

I have to say that Hunter has impressed me as a true nitwit for as long as I could remember. I just smell his craving to be thought of on a par with the owners. Hey Billy, youre not!  When push comes to shove, all your whinning and crying of the owners not beng fair or even lying to the press is laughable. IT doesnt make a difference. Nothing youre gonna say or accuse will change what the owners want.

The players will lose and lose hard! Frankly, Im looking forward to it. I can guarantee many players already want to throw in the towel, sign off on anything just to get playing & paid again. The longer Hunters ego drags this out, the closer to the unemployment line Hunter will be.

Stop playing hardball Billy...you have no leverage & the owners know it...Only problem is you dont know it. Most of the owners are very wealthy and the NBA is a part of their empire to feather their ego... on the other hand, the NBA is you & your players life...

Think of the old nursery rhyme Humpty Dumpty.... thats where youre headed, son

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

again...................it all comes down to this...........it is the "owners" vs the "employees"......the owners may have caused the problem....but the owners have the right to fix the problem...the players are welcome to find other employment if they wish....of course, if your only talent is playing basketball with nothing to fall back on because you never got a proper education?....well then, earning $5M isn't so bad is it....?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I'm in my 30's.  At my age, players are near or at retirement.  I just extrapolated my salary out the next 40 years (hopefully I live that long!).  If I retired now at the same salary, which is a pittance compared to ANY NBA player (40 years of my salary isn't even near the current MLE), I would live comfortably. 

So, Billy Hunter wants us to feel bad for guys wearing $50,000 dollar watches, $2,000 dollar suits and who own Bentleys and Jaguars?  Get a clue pal.  If half of the players had the wherewithal to invest their money and learn another skill besides dribbling a ball, they and their heirs would be set for generations. 

Let me go on record and say that comments like these are why I hope the lockout doesn't end until the the union and the league can figure out how to put a better product on the floor.  A better product will result from guys who have to fight for their salaries and prove they belong in the NBA and not hold franchises hostage with long term contracts with no incentive to perform.  The current system rewards guys for all the wrong reasons. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Hunter's Laughable Comment:
    [QUOTE]Hunter was quoted as saying: "Most of our players when they end playing basketball they are going to be living for another 40 years or so. And so I don't know how long that money is going to last," he added. "Even if they made every prudent investment that they could possibly make, I don't know at what level they are going to be able to live. But I think after a while it just becomes a principle. For a lot of these players that is what it's about." I think if I was given a salary of $5 mil a year.......and if I were really concerned about my future........I would not be buying McMansions.......have 6 cars........feed an entourage...........Perhaps Mr. Hunter, if your clients are really thinking about their future they would live a little more modestly in the present.
    Posted by damfuno[/QUOTE]

I find this mindset completely laughable.......  I have a great idea for players that p iss through their money - get an f n job like everyone else.

I have seen a GE commercial with Junior Bridgeman - he says I played in the NBA for 12 years and now I own 165 Wendy's blah blah blah..... wow - someone that actually did something good with their money, he probably employs 2000 people, etc. and he is set for life.

It is the same argument you hear for NFL players - well the average NFL career is 3 and a half years so they have to make as much money in that time period as possible - or what?  GET  A JOB.....  the average career is only 3 and a half years long because better players come along..... I feel so bad that these guys who never should been accepted to college actually might have to get a real job... boohoohoo......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Right on the money guys....great posts!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

He might be right. A perfect example is Antoine Walker. LOL!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

You are right GK.........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Hunter's Laughable Comment:
    [QUOTE]Hunter was quoted as saying: "Most of our players when they end playing basketball they are going to be living for another 40 years or so. And so I don't know how long that money is going to last," he added. "Even if they made every prudent investment that they could possibly make, I don't know at what level they are going to be able to live. But I think after a while it just becomes a principle. For a lot of these players that is what it's about." I think if I was given a salary of $5 mil a year.......and if I were really concerned about my future........I would not be buying McMansions.......have 6 cars........feed an entourage...........Perhaps Mr. Hunter, if your clients are really thinking about their future they would live a little more modestly in the present.

Interesting point..  Let's pepper it with some facts.  take the Charlotte Bobcats as an example.  6 of their 10 players under contract don't make $5M per year.  In fact, these 6 make from $780k per year to $3.9M per year. These same players will often only play 3 to 5 years and be out of the league.  So, they'll make between $2.4M to $20M and according to you - they have a low IQ so they won't get good jobs after that.  So, that's what they will have for life.   Hmmmm, sounds like its worth fighting for.

Now, KG and Paul Pierce and Kobe and Kevin Durant have nothing to worry about.  you're right about them.  But remember that Avery Bradley and Gerald Henderson and DJ Augustine and Luke Harongody (Sp?) will NOT be around long and they are fighting for money that will really matter in their lives.

Try not to generalize.   moreover, I fight it offensive that you keep talking about their IQ's.  I suspect you think because they are all black americans, they are stupid with low IQ's.  Luke Harongody graduated brom Notre Dame university.  I bet his IQ is above yours (and probably mine) as is Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett or Jameer Nelson or Derek Fisher.  

Stop hatin', man.   If you could make money with your athletic talents, you'd do it just like them!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Hunter's Laughable Comment:
    [QUOTE]again...................it all comes down to this...........it is the "owners" vs the "employees"...... the owners may have caused the problem....but the owners have the right to fix the problem...the players are welcome to find other employment if they wish....of course, if your only talent is playing basketball with nothing to fall back on because you never got a proper education?....well then, earning $5M isn't so bad is it....?
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Good theory, but the owners don't play basketball.  They have no product without the players.  If they did, they'd do what Football did and have a league of scabs and continue the NBA without the current players.  I wonder why they won't do that?  Let them try and see how many fans would come and how many TV contracts they'd get!

THE CURRENT PLAYERS ARE THE BEST WORKERS THEY CAN GET!  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Hunter's Laughable Comment : Interesting point..  Let's pepper it with some facts.  take the Charlotte Bobcats as an example.  6 of their 10 players under contract don't make $5M per year.  In fact, these 6 make from $780k per year to $3.9M per year. These same players will often only play 3 to 5 years and be out of the league.  So, they'll make between $2.4M to $20M and according to you - they have a low IQ so they won't get good jobs after that.  So, that's what they will have for life.   Hmmmm, sounds like its worth fighting for. Now, KG and Paul Pierce and Kobe and Kevin Durant have nothing to worry about.  you're right about them.  But remember that Avery Bradley and Gerald Henderson and DJ Augustine and Luke Harongody (Sp?) will NOT be around long and they are fighting for money that will really matter in their lives. Try not to generalize.   moreover, I fight it offensive that you keep talking about their IQ's.  I suspect you think because they are all black americans, they are stupid with low IQ's.  Luke Harongody graduated brom Notre Dame university.  I bet his IQ is above yours (and probably mine) as is Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett or Jameer Nelson or Derek Fisher.   Stop hatin', man.   If you could make money with your athletic talents, you'd do it just like them!
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

One need only listen to the endless regurgitation of cliches in ebonics to opine on what one might think their IQ is but it as best an opinion.

One cannot state as fact whose IQ is higher or lower than anothers when you have absolutely no credible evidence.

What one can do is find an endless list of retired athletes who could not manage what most would call and enless supply of cash and look no further than Delonte West who it appears had to have someone fill out his job application at Home Depot or wherever it is that he ended up moving furniture.

We are talking about a large majority of people who likely have no idea who their father is and would have had absolutely no chance of getting into college without their basketball skills.  In my opinion both football and basketball should have minor league systems like baseball and hockey thereby not polluting college with people that have no business being there.

Who cares whether DJ Augustin or Bradley or Gerald Henderson will be around to fight for the money..... that is the story in every human beings life..... am I supposed to worry that Bradley doesn't make enough by the time he leaves basketball to support the next 20 generations of Bradley's? Absolutely not, hey Avery just like everyone else in the world, if you are not good enough, GET A DIFFERENT JOB and if that means you are bagging groceries at Stop and Shop, so be it....... 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter's Laughable Comment :

I have never once had a job where I had to have a union representative negotiate how, when, where, or how much I would work for but of course not being able to read, write, or understand the primary language may have something to do with it.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

as the NBA lockout continues with billionaires vs millionaires, you have this scenario..... the one and only Kurt Warner......he went to college and earned a degree....wasn't good enough to get drafted......was a walk on.....dated and married a young divorcee with a severely disabled son....adopted that son and married his girlfriend.....stocked shelves at the local Hy Vee to support his family....got a gig with the Arena League....went on to play in NFL Europe ....was picked up by the Rams...then exposed to Cleveland in the expansion draft....and wound up becoming a two time league MVP and leading three teams to the Super Bowl....now supporting his family of 10 by becoming an analyst for the NFL Network....talk about a rags to riches success story....a true hero who worked for everything he has....through the ups & downs....smarts, faith, and character....this is the type of athlete I love rooting for...took nothing for granted and through desire and hard work became a star...

how different from the "one and done" NBA rookies of this generation....smarts and class.....these kids (at least a large percentage) just don't get it.....it may not be their fault....but that doesn't change the current mentality....again folks...just my opinion...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter's Laughable Comment : One need only listen to the endless regurgitation of cliches in ebonics to opine on what one might think their IQ is but it as best an opinion. One cannot state as fact whose IQ is higher or lower than anothers when you have absolutely no credible evidence. What one can do is find an endless list of retired athletes who could not manage what most would call and enless supply of cash and look no further than Delonte West who it appears had to have someone fill out his job application at Home Depot or wherever it is that he ended up moving furniture. We are talking about a large majority of people who likely have no idea who their father is and would have had absolutely no chance of getting into college without their basketball skills.  In my opinion both football and basketball should have minor league systems like baseball and hockey thereby not polluting college with people that have no business being there. Who cares whether DJ Augustin or Bradley or Gerald Henderson will be around to fight for the money..... that is the story in every human beings life..... am I supposed to worry that Bradley doesn't make enough by the time he leaves basketball to support the next 20 generations of Bradley's? Absolutely not, hey Avery just like everyone else in the world, if you are not good enough, GET A DIFFERENT JOB and if that means you are bagging groceries at Stop and Shop, so be it....... 
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

No, Dudder, you are not supposed to care about them.  You are only supposed to admit to the fact that not all of them make $5M a year or more.  There are others who make less.  Simple point of fact to dispute that all of the NBA players are making $5M a year as the thread was suggesting.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter's Laughable Comment :

Glad you do not assume that they are all low IQ because of race.  I was and am challenging your generalization.   There are many players who don't make more $20M a year for 10 years so I wanted to bring some balance to the "bashing" I was reading.  Sorry, but I don't think they are generally low IQ people who all lose their money.   That's the press giving you the hghlights (or lowlights) of the problem cases without the balance of telling you about the others.  From Sam jones to David Robinson to Joe Dumars to Sean Elliott to Phil Chanier (who I know as a friend) to Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, there are MANY MANY MANY of the players who are intelligent people who have managed their money.  They are not all Antoine Walker and I just got tired of reading constant attack on players as if they are all low IQ people who've lost all their money and are simply greedy people with no ability to save their money cause they are all buying Bentley's.

You make a bad generalization and massively unfair to the many many many good citizens to give to the community and save their money and live normal lives.

In every profession, they are dummies and highly intelligent folks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I'd love to see and OBJECTIVE analysis of how many players are intelligent people leading good solid lives post basketball vs the press highlighted situations where players were foolish with their money.

I resent your assuming the good ones are only the exception and that  "  in general especially with the one and done athletes that enter the draft I will bet that my IQ is higher than the majority of them ".  I don't look down on people like that and perhaps you shouldn't either.   Maybe you should give them a break and assume the best.....and that they bad ones were the exception?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]again...................it all comes down to this...........it is the "owners" vs the "employees"...... the owners may have caused the problem....but the owners have the right to fix the problem...the players are welcome to find other employment if they wish....of course, if your only talent is playing basketball with nothing to fall back on because you never got a proper education?....well then, earning $5M isn't so bad is it....?
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

The owners are welcome to play if they wish.No one would watch, of course. Without the players, the owners have no product. This love affair with management is the flaw in the american psyche that has us working harder than our european counterparts for less.I can`t help thinking, from the comments about entourages etc. that the fact that the vast majority of owners are white has something to do with where people`s sympathies lie. Unlike the owners ,the Donald Trumps of the world, the players can`t just declare bankruptcy and start over with the money their daddies made.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Hunter's Laughable Comment : Interesting point..  Let's pepper it with some facts.  take the Charlotte Bobcats as an example.  6 of their 10 players under contract don't make $5M per year.  In fact, these 6 make from $780k per year to $3.9M per year. These same players will often only play 3 to 5 years and be out of the league.  So, they'll make between $2.4M to $20M and according to you - they have a low IQ so they won't get good jobs after that.  So, that's what they will have for life.   Hmmmm, sounds like its worth fighting for. Now, KG and Paul Pierce and Kobe and Kevin Durant have nothing to worry about.  you're right about them.  But remember that Avery Bradley and Gerald Henderson and DJ Augustine and Luke Harongody (Sp?) will NOT be around long and they are fighting for money that will really matter in their lives. Try not to generalize.   moreover, I fight it offensive that you keep talking about their IQ's.  I suspect you think because they are all black americans, they are stupid with low IQ's.  Luke Harongody graduated brom Notre Dame university.  I bet his IQ is above yours (and probably mine) as is Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett or Jameer Nelson or Derek Fisher.   Stop hatin', man.   If you could make money with your athletic talents, you'd do it just like them!
    None of these jokers wants to hear this viewpoint.They`re too busy slurping the owners jocks, er, designer underwear.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter's Laughable Comment : Good theory, but the owners don't play basketball.  They have no product without the players.  If they did, they'd do what Football did and have a league of scabs and continue the NBA without the current players.  I wonder why they won't do that?  Let them try and see how many fans would come and how many TV contracts they'd get! THE CURRENT PLAYERS ARE THE BEST WORKERS THEY CAN GET!  

Absolutely correct.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter's Laughable Comment : One need only listen to the endless regurgitation of cliches in ebonics to opine on what one might think their IQ is but it as best an opinion. One cannot state as fact whose IQ is higher or lower than anothers when you have absolutely no credible evidence. What one can do is find an endless list of retired athletes who could not manage what most would call and enless supply of cash and look no further than Delonte West who it appears had to have someone fill out his job application at Home Depot or wherever it is that he ended up moving furniture. We are talking about a large majority of people who likely have no idea who their father is and would have had absolutely no chance of getting into college without their basketball skills.  In my opinion both football and basketball should have minor league systems like baseball and hockey thereby not polluting college with people that have no business being there. Who cares whether DJ Augustin or Bradley or Gerald Henderson will be around to fight for the money..... that is the story in every human beings life..... am I supposed to worry that Bradley doesn't make enough by the time he leaves basketball to support the next 20 generations of Bradley's? Absolutely not, hey Avery just like everyone else in the world, if you are not good enough, GET A DIFFERENT JOB and if that means you are bagging groceries at Stop and Shop, so be it....... 
    Dudder the racist throws"ebonics" into the mix.What else is new.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter's Laughable Comment : I have never once had a job where I had to have a union representative negotiate how, when, where, or how much I would work for but of course not being able to read, write, or understand the primary language may have something to do with it.....

Your primary language is klanish ,isn`t it? when you`re not busy whining about Rondo`s perceived inadequacie`s.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

It's not possible to group people into categories, such as all NBA players seem ignorant or have low IQ's.  Also, this thing about the fans affinity with the owners because they are white is even dumber imo.

Sometimes people throw in the race card because it is convenient to their argument. Why would Person #1 cry racism when Person #2 suggests NBA players have low IQ's unless Person #1 associates low IQ's to blacks? Ditto with the owners.

In my early teen years I grew up in a primarily black city during a militant, civil rights  atmosphere. I took alot of beatings & abuse for being white. When I walked down the street towards a corner of 3-4 black kids and chose to cross to the other side instead, does that make me racist? No, it makes me intelligent to recognize and react to what my experience has taught me. I didnt want to walk past a group of black kids cause I equated that to pain, rightfully so.

So, when people view the behavior of many NBA players on & off the court, listen to interviews etc, read about their troubles in life, the gangs etc unfortunately an opinion has to form. IT's unfair to lump all into the same basket but we do tend to generalize and assume chances are the odds favor this guy or that guy isnt too bright.   The same way I assumed I would get jumped if I walked down that corner.. I may have been wrong but my experience told me the evidence I had put the odds in favor of the worse cae.

The owners?? Heck, they own the team.. Sure, without the players, they have no product, no league....but without the owners, the same would result.  It still bothers me that  owners have to share with anyone. I look at it two ways:

1. The owners own the team. Why the heck do they need to show their financials or share what they make? All they have to do is pay the salary on the contract they signed with the player. I know its more complicated than that but its not free enterprise.... its more socialism than anything.

2. If the owners have to share with the players....why dont the players have to share the risk owners take?? If a team is losing money, does the players salary get reduced proportionately to compensate for the owners loss? Of course not. The player gets paid no matter what...all the risk is with the owner.

Bottom line...Im hoping and fairly confident the players are going to go down hard. In this worlds economic environment the players are developing bad akrma with the fans (rightly or wrongly). I was always for unions growing up as my dad worked in one his entire life.. They did alot of good for the workers. Unfortunately, like most things with some power, they pushed it too far and took advantage. Forced companies to become the enemy and ultimately priced themselves out of the market.  Sometimes workers loafing around not willing to work couldnt even be fired because of the grip the union had on the company.

The players are headed down the same path imo.