I Don't Buy It

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

I Don't Buy It

The Lakers fans are claiming that they have a great bench. I don't think so. 

It's great if you go 7-7 from 3pt land once in a while, but Barnes and Blake are just that, 3pt shooters. What else do they do well?

Shannon Brown is good but he's a liability on defense if he plays SG because of his size. Brown is listed as 6-4, if that's the case then Ray Allen should be 6-6. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseball4life93. Show baseball4life93's posts

Re: I Don't Buy It

i dont know much about blake, but i know barnes is a GREAT defender.. or considered to be atleast.. and they do have a great bench just an FYI and everybody knew it before the season started.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Blake is a journeyman who can't stay in one city....he may hit the 3 and/or play some good D but he is not considered valuable enough to keep around....as evidenced by his multi team career....Sasha and Walton...hardly get off the bench...the Laker bench is nowhere near what a healthy Celtic team brings...

Delonte
    Nate
    Shaq/Perk
    Marquis
    Baby

That is a pretty good 2nd unit.....no?

and rookies Bradley and Erden to develope for the future

you have a starting five right there that can win games

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I've been saying it for 3 years now...they have no bench. Now what makes it work for them is when Odom can come off the bench when Bynum is playing. Right now Gasol and Odom are struggling and getting worn down.

Their bench is better this year then it's been the last few years. I think the C's bench is stronger but we never know what we'll get from our bench.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

The Lakers do NOT have a great bench.  However, I've seen worse.  When Bynum returns, it will be a pretty good bench with Odom, Barnes, Brown and Blake.  With that being said, only Odom is a player who would play extensive minutes with the starters.  And the reason Blake gets time with the starters is because Fisher is old and slow and too much of a defensive liability.

Come playoff time, their bench will get exposed.  They will not be able to put a full "second" unit on the floor at one time because they will not get any offense.  Blake, Barnes, Brown, Sasha and Walton will not be factors in "grind-it-out" half court sets which are common in the playoffs.  Also, they have no inside presence, even when Ratliff returns.

Outside of their starters (Kobe, Pau, Artest, Bynum and add Odom) and notice I have not included Fisher, I don't think you can expect much from anyone else on the team.  Honestly, they have never proven they are capable of doing anything in crunch time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I agree. If we can get JON to stay on the court and get Perk back at 90% we'll wear down most teams especially the Lakers.

I'm starting to think the Lakers may have problems with the Spurs. The Lakers have played in 3 straight Finals and that's a lot of basketball on those old legs. That's right I said old. The graphic they gave the other night of the oldest teams and the Lakers, Spurs and Heat all were older than the C's. If you listen to people you would think the C's are the oldest team in the league.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Spurs look good now, but the pattern is established that they will fade by mid season. I see no reason to believe this year will be any different.  Bonner is sure lighting it up though, and they have some young players who've improved. But still, Duncan and Manu always seem to wear down.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

It's starting to become a pattern, every time the Lakers are not hot from 3pt land they lose.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: I Don't Buy It:
    [QUOTE]Spurs look good now, but the pattern is established that they will fade by mid season. I see no reason to believe this year will be any different.  Bonner is sure lighting it up though, and they have some young players who've improved. But still, Duncan and Manu always seem to wear down.
    Posted by cole-ely[/QUOTE]

Without going back and looking I thought I remembered the Spurs usually start slow and pick up steam around the all start break.  Either way right at this point the Spurs are probably the best team in town.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Bynums return will help us a lot. But I'm concerned about the amount of minutes that Paul and Lamar are logging. I guess it's a last roll of the dice in some ways for our current team. That could explain why some of the boys are playing extended minutes.

OKC got another win today, not pretty but it's still a win. They're the team that worry me more than The Spurs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chief16OZ. Show Chief16OZ's posts

First things first, jeez, we celtics fans are undeniably fixated with the Lakers.  4 of today's 5 top posts are glitter related.  But as grandpa always used to say, all that glitters ain't gold.

The Lakers are struggling right now (but I highly doubt this will continue so we should enjoy the moment).  Without Bynum they're clearly short-handed on the block.  On the other hand, their bench is better than it's been, as Petey pointed out.  I RARELY watch them play (this ain't Magic's lakers) but I caught them against the Pacers.  The entire first unit looked like hell throughout but Barnes and Brown had a good game, doing most of thier scoring under the basket on cuts.  Brown has hops galour and can also get hot from the outside but he's streaky.  Same goes for Barnes. But the bench is shimmied into a splintered four-by-four to the left of Barnes, Brown and Odom. Does anyone feel Blake will really get releveant minutes in the playoffs? Walton, Ratcliff or Voodoo Doll? Please.

Bottom line, with both teams at full steam the Celtics have a slight edge this year and can avenge themselves for the defeat they suffered in what really should have been a championship year (yes, I still maintain the refs had too much to do with the lakers 4th quarter "break-out" but whatever, they were playing at home).  The achilles heal for for both team's is an injury at a key position: if one of the big 3 goes down, we're toast.  If Corn-on-the-Koby is derailed, or Lama-Man gets lost in the desert, the lakers go nowhere.  Let's hope neither is the case so we can kick their rear ends fair and square as it should be.

Go green.

Sections
Shortcuts