I don't get Lin-sanity??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I don't get Lin-sanity??

I was at the game yesterday and saw it first hand. Nice story. Smart player. Knicks aren't used to that type of player in over 20 years. But from what I could see Lin picks up his dribble much too soon, leaves his feet with no pass available to make. Turnover machine. Step to a step and a half slow on defense. Good change of pace guy? Maybe a JJ Barrea type. From what I saw on the floor yesterday the Knicks were a better team with BD on the floor

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: I don't get Lin-sanity??

The kid was very nervous playing in front of his home crowd. He made some huge plays at crunch time. Fearless. Clutch. Very good passer. With range. Maybe that's what the Knicks see.

If his game is not quite rounded out, lets give the kid a few more games to find himself. After all, he is a project player with plenty of upside. Quite coachable. Seems level-headed. The crowd loves him.

The Knicks may be a better team with Lin on the floor and without their superstars. That's how it started.

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to "Re: I don't get Lin-sanity??":
    The kid was very nervous playing in front of his home crowd. He made some huge plays at crunch time. Fearless. Clutch. Very good passer. With range. Maybe that's what the Knicks see. If his game is not quite rounded out, lets give the kid a few more games to find himself. After all, he is a project player with plenty of upside. Quite coachable. Seems level-headed. The crowd loves him. The Knicks may be a better team with Lin on the floor and without their superstars. That's how it started. Pud Posted by puddinpuddin
    I don't see the athleticism to be a staring pg in the NBA today. As a C's fan, I hope the Knicks play him a lot. That should solidify the C's playoff slot.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Is Lin a smart, NBA ready PG?  Yes.  Is he the Second Coming?  No.  You've got to remember that half of Linsanity is that he's playing in NYC.  These are the people who canonized the lamentable Latrell Sprewell and Stefan Marbury (among others) when each of them came to play there.  Even the national media are based in New York, so these things catch fire and no one ever steps back to look at them objectively.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

One of the most intelligent comments I heard about Lin came from a commentator on an ESPN radio show. He was talking about Lin during the All-Star Break. Apparently, Lin was being approached by multiple companies to endorse their product, but Lin wanted to wait a while to take a break to think about what opportunity will be best for him going forward. The commentator said "Lin better not wait too long". He was alluding to the fact that he is probably about as hot as he ever will be right now, and he likely will be an afterthought pretty soon.

To me he is a capable NBA player. Thats it. He can be a starter in this league, but he likely will not ever be considered a top 15-20 player at his position

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: I don't get Lin-sanity??:
    In response to "Re: I don't get Lin-sanity??": I don't see the athleticism to be a staring pg in the NBA today. As a C's fan, I hope the Knicks play him a lot. That should solidify the C's playoff slot.
    Posted by rkarp

I don't see the clutch in Rondo to think of him as a starting PG...  but he's established himself as a starter... but certainly not a finisher.

Holding that thought.... maybe Lin can get by without the athleticism you want in a starting PG if he can continue to finish... ala Steve Nash.

Pud

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

In Response to Re: I don't get Lin-sanity?? : I don't see the clutch in Rondo to think of him as a starting PG...  but he's established himself as a starter... but certainly not a finisher. Holding that thought.... maybe Lin can get by without the athleticism you want in a starting PG if he can continue to finish... ala Steve Nash. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Oh, please.Lin couldnt hold Nash`s jockstrap, or Rondo`s , for that matter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Lin fakes on every single play. Just wait for the fake and then go for the block.
    Posted by Kirk6

Do you think Avery Bradley is better than Lin?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from df5. Show df5's posts

I couldn't agree with you guys more. I haven't watched a lot of Celtics games this year. The league and the officiating are a joke and the NBA is an absolute garbage product. I'm trying to wean myself off it.

So this is my first time seeing Lin outside of a few highlights. And I was NOT impressed. I have never seen anybody get away with so much traveling in my life. It was crazy! He would pick up the dribble and change his pivot foot two (sometimes three) times every time he penetrated or got sealed off.

And he's already getting star treatment. Which doesn't surprise me. But I can't believe the extent if it. It's like watching AI in his prime where all you have to do is breath on him. There was one particular play where Bradley was backpedaling. Lin had the ball and awkwardly fell down. Absolutely ZERO contact between the two and Bradley got called for a foul. That along with the period towards the end of the game where the Knicks got somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen consecutive calls on offense to get them back into the game, was a perfect reminder of why I don't watch NBA basketball any more. Nevermind the foul on Pierce at the other end that the refs somehow managed to ignore. Hall of Famer gets assaulted and nobody sees that. But you don't even have to touch the media darling to get whistled. Typical NBA.

I never thought I would see a player travel more than LeBron. But Lin blows him away in that category. I can only imagine how many points Kobe, Pierce or Durant would average if they didn't have to worry about dribbling.

I know it's only one game. So maybe I don't have the right to judge a player after one game. But I am thoroughly unimpressed with Lin so far. I think he is a solid player. Probably much better than whoever the Knicks had starting before him. But after all the hype I was very disappointed. I expected much more.

I suspect in a few years this guy will be JAG. And a solid, but overpaid burden on the Knicks cap.

But then again, I thought Ron Mercer would be a perennial All Star. So what do I know

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Believe it or Not:

Quite a milestone had been passed.

Lin has already hit more buzzer beaters in his short career than Rajon Rondo... and we all know how much "clutchness" R9R has accumulated at 6+ years of 4th quarter heroics... and counting.

Mutiply Rondo's clutch factor by 10 and you are approaching Linsanity!

Pud

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

Believe it or Not: Quite a milestone had been passed. Lin has already hit more buzzer beaters in his short career than Rajon Rondo... and we all know how much "clutchness" R9R has accumulated at 6+ years of 4th quarter heroics... and counting. Mutiply Rondo's clutch factor by 10 and you are approaching Linsanity! Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Ridiculous statement but not surprising....just how many rings does Lin have? zero and probably never will.....has he been an all-star? no and more than likely never will.  Has he been voted to the All Defensive team? No and he never will....  so keep on with you obsessive Rondo hate... and all this clutch BS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Believe it or Not: Quite a milestone had been passed. Lin has already hit more buzzer beaters in his short career than Rajon Rondo... and we all know how much "clutchness" R9R has accumulated at 6+ years of 4th quarter heroics... and counting. Mutiply Rondo's clutch factor by 10 and you are approaching Linsanity! Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Actually... checking my higher mathematics, zero multiplied by 10 still gives you zero.

Nevermind!

Pud

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenaboveGold. Show GreenaboveGold's posts

In Response to I don't get Lin-sanity??:
    I was at the game yesterday and saw it first hand. Nice story. Smart player. Knicks aren't used to that type of player in over 20 years. But from what I could see Lin picks up his dribble much too soon, leaves his feet with no pass available to make. Turnover machine. Step to a step and a half slow on defense. Good change of pace guy? Maybe a JJ Barrea type. From what I saw on the floor yesterday the Knicks were a better team with BD on the floor
    Posted by rkarp

That's why he's 23 and a sophomore, he will learn with time, baron Davis is a veteran guy, he kmows more about the game than Lin

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from df5. Show df5's posts

Posted by puddinpuddin

Lin didn't look too clutch in OT. Not sure what game you were watching. Maybe you were talking about the 4 step walk he was allowed to get away with at the end of regulation that resulted in a basket and should have been a turnover. Without that, the Celts win in regulation. Yes, he hit a big three near the end of regulation. But he also got lucky with the no calls. In OT he did nothing and missed a couple of huge threes.

I don't see how having a different set of rules for one player makes him clutch. You want to see clutch, watch Pierce

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

Big Apple pantry boy came to the luau… and found out he was the pig. Aloha! How’s that apple taste?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Seems BD will start the next game with coach D saying Lin needs to watch a bit and learn. Not surpising, I just don't see the physical ability to start in the NBA and outside of coach D's system, I don't see Lin making too many rosters.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

The Knicks (and Mike Woodson) win their 5th in a row and Lin scores 16 of his 18 in the 4th quarter, including 10/10 at the FT line.

The kid shines when the game is on the line.

Pud

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

The Knicks (and Mike Woodson) win their 5th in a row and Lin scores 16 of his 18 in the 4th quarter, including 10/10 at the FT line. The kid shines when the game is on the line. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

are you refering to his 4 for 17 and 3 t-over stat line against the 76'ers?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: I don't get Lin-sanity?? : are you refering to his 4 for 17 and 3 t-over stat line against the 76'ers?
    Posted by rkarp

I'm referring to the fact that unlike R9R whom you apparently "get", this kid grows stronger when/as the game is on the line.

That's my notion of a PG.... someone unafraid to take the big shot/make the big play.

After watching R9R's 4th quarter disappearing act for years, maybe you would prefer that Lin do likewise.

If so, then you will never "get Lin-sanity."

Pud

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

The Knicks (and Mike Woodson) win their 5th in a row and Lin scores 16 of his 18 in the 4th quarter, including 10/10 at the FT line. The kid shines when the game is on the line. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Lin was horrible last night.  Did you watch the game?  He shot 4 of 17 and had 3 assists in 36 minutes.

I guess you could say he was "clutch" because he did well in the 4th but then you would have to admit how absolutely horrible he was in the first three quarters.  I mean he really stunk.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: I don't get Lin-sanity?? : Lin was horrible last night.  Did you watch the game?
    Posted by snakeoil123

16 4th quarter points..... terrible indeed.

Pud

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: I don't get Lin-sanity?? : 16 4th quarter points..... terrible indeed. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

do you actually judge a game on just one quarter?  Once again.  He shot 4 of 17 and had 3 assists in 36 minutes.  It's cool if you say that you do.  I wont laugh.  Outwardly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I mean yeah he had a great fourth quarter and was ridiculously horrible the other three.  I am cool with that if you are.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

I mean yeah he had a great fourth quarter and was ridiculously horrible the other three.  I am cool with that if you are.
    Posted by snakeoil123

I'd take that over a PG who is all world for 2 and 1/2 quarters and then, on cue, disappears.

Its not how you start the game... it's how you finish..... better known as nut cuppin' time.

Give me the intensity/excitement of the last 5 minutes of a close NBA game and you can have all the run-up.

Pud

Sections
Shortcuts