i happen to agree with much of this...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

i happen to agree with much of this...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1667952-can-rajon-rondo-avery-bradley-backcourt-really-take-boston-celtics-all-the-way

i think that rondo, bradley, green and sully form a strong nucleus to build around (though i am concerned about leadership). i think we need to add a legit 3-point threat to our guard rotation, since neither rondo nor bradley is that kind of a threat. in the long run, i don't necessarily think that bradley needs to start, but can split time at the 2 with whoever that 3-point threat is. and we need a backup PG.

i think green is a legit starter at the 3. and i think sully, if healthy, will become a legit starter at the 4. i think we still lack a legit 5, so that needs to be addressed.

so imagine that nothing really exciting happens this summer. we make a nice draft pick at 16. someone with potential who fills a need. the truth is that we could use depth at every position, so you draft the best player available at that spot. PP stays and plays out his contract or is potentially moved at the deadline. KG stays and plays...or retires...or plays one year and retires...or is moved at the deadline.

then you take that strong core of 4 and start to rebuild around them with the money freed up next summer. it's not exciting. nor does it give us a lot to hope for next year. but it may be the best option. unless something unlikely just falls into our laps.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: i happen to agree with much of this...

absolutely agree and you left out one more point. Doc stays. In the other scenerio of total rebuild, Doc is likely out and as much as fans hate on Doc sometimes, you're a fool if you're not worried about finding someone who is half decent to replace him right now. We lose a lot if Doc walks.

You're right about needing that 3-point threat which I think we can find overseas for a Vet min / rookie salary. Terry can be that guy, but you need other options for when he struggles. The missing piece is that franchise center who can protect the rim and get you 20-10 in games that matter. Its looking like that need won't be met this season, so hopefully we can squeeze one more year out of KG and find some better big bodies that can help out short term.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

THE DUKE

I agree that we have a nice young core to build around....PP and KG will not bring us much in return unless we wait until the trade deadline....so it pretty much is what it is at this point...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

i wish terry was the answer. i thought he would be. but he has been a bust so far. i had higher hopes for lee as well. of the two, i'd hope that lee rebounds next year, as he is the younger, more athletic player. and he plays decent defense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

One more thing, I think Paul is gone. I'd love to keep him & retire him as a Celtic, but it just doesn't make sense.

What makes more sense is to:

A. Buy him out, pay him the (5M)

B. Allow him to play free agency for the first time in his career & allow him to play for a contender at a reasonable salary.

Step B is really important if for nothing else than to allow Pierce to downgrade his role on a team with some dignity. I can't imagine Paul taking a bench role on the Celtics while KG & Rondo are starting. That would be more degrading to the Captain than him continuing his career in another uniform. Let him go play for a contender (much like Ray), take less money and a lesser role and then return to the Celtics for a final farewell tour.

C. Keep the door open for a return as a role player for a final fairwell tour in the Green unifrom

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

One more thing, I think Paul is gone. I'd love to keep him & retire him as a Celtic, but it just doesn't make sense.

B. Allow him to play free agency for the first time in his career & allow him to play for a contender at a reasonable salary.

Step B is really important if for nothing else than to allow Pierce to downgrade his role on a team with some dignity. I can't imagine Paul taking a bench role on the Celtics while KG & Rondo are starting. That would be more degrading to the Captain than him continuing his career in another uniform. Let him go play for a contender (much like Ray), take less money and a lesser role and then return to the Celtics for a final farewell tour.

C. Keep the door open for a return as a role player for a final fairwell tour in the Green unifrom

i don't have a problem with that. i think you leave it up to him. he's earned the right to choose his fate. if he wants to go to a contender (as long as it's not miami), i'm all for it. maybe we can get something in exchange for him. if not, i guess we could buy him out. buying him out won't allow us much more flexability this year, but at least it puts green in the starting role, where he should be.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1667952-can-rajon-rondo-avery-bradley-backcourt-really-take-boston-celtics-all-the-way

i think that rondo, bradley, green and sully form a strong nucleus to build around (though i am concerned about leadership). i think we need to add a legit 3-point threat to our guard rotation, since neither rondo nor bradley is that kind of a threat. in the long run, i don't necessarily think that bradley needs to start, but can split time at the 2 with whoever that 3-point threat is. and we need a backup PG.

i think green is a legit starter at the 3. and i think sully, if healthy, will become a legit starter at the 4. i think we still lack a legit 5, so that needs to be addressed.

so imagine that nothing really exciting happens this summer. we make a nice draft pick at 16. someone with potential who fills a need. the truth is that we could use depth at every position, so you draft the best player available at that spot. PP stays and plays out his contract or is potentially moved at the deadline. KG stays and plays...or retires...or plays one year and retires...or is moved at the deadline.

then you take that strong core of 4 and start to rebuild around them with the money freed up next summer. it's not exciting. nor does it give us a lot to hope for next year. but it may be the best option. unless something unlikely just falls into our laps.

Disagree, 2 options only in my mind

1. This team needs to somehow move 2-3 players out of Bass, Lee, Crawford, Bradley, Melo and Terry to make a SPLASH and add a serious talent, borderline all-star in order to contend for one more year with the Rondo, KG, PP, Green grouping. Preferably this is a PF or C and we keep Bradley.

2. The C's need to trade EVERYONE they can except for 20-23 year olds Bradley, Sully, pick 16 and (maybe) Melo. They need more guys with upside ages 21-25 and at least one, preferably two, lotto picks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

i'll eat my hat if i'm wrong, but i don't think there's any way to turn any of those guys into the type of player(s) we need to actually compete for a title. there is absolutely no guarantee that rondo, sully, KG or PP will be healthy for the whole season. rondo and sully could and should be brought back at their own pace. and KG and PP could be done in by a sneeze. sure, if we could trade any of those guys you mentioned for someone like dwight howard, i'm all for it. i just don't see it happening.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

to compete this year with this team, we need KG, PP and rondo all healthy and playing at a high level. we also need a legit center. we also need a legit 2-guard who can shoot. i don't see us getting the pieces we need with fodder like bass, terry or lee.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

[QUOTE]

to compete this year with this team, we need KG, PP and rondo all healthy and playing at a high level. we also need a legit center. we also need a legit 2-guard who can shoot. i don't see us getting the pieces we need with fodder like bass, terry or lee.

What???

KG failed to have a single 20-point game in the playoffs for the first time since he became a Celtic in 2007.

Pierce has become a turnover machine.

The Celts will only be competing for the 8th seed, best case scenario, with KG, Pierce, and Rondo.

Doc had to rest KG in March and April. That's why instead of the Celts fighting for the 3rd seed, they just ended up with the 7th seed and a 41-40 record.

The window is shut. There's no way the Celts will be back in the Finals with KG and Pierce leading the team.

Time to let go and move on!

[/QUOTE]

i didn't say it was likely. i said it is what would be needed. do i think we have another run in us with this core? no. and that's the point of my post.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

[QUOTE]

Exactly!

How can the Celtics get that Center or that SG who can shoot if KG gets 12.4m and Pierce gets 15.3m next season?

[/QUOTE]

again, that's the point of my post. i don't see us getting anywhere this year with this core of aging players.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

[QUOTE]

What???

KG failed to have a single 20-point game in the playoffs for the first time since he became a Celtic in 2007.

The Celts will only be competing for the 8th seed, best case scenario, with KG, Pierce, and Rondo.

Doc had to rest KG in March and April. That's why instead of the Celts fighting for the 3rd seed, they just ended up with the 7th seed and a 41-40 record.

The window is shut. There's no way the Celts will be back in the Finals with KG and Pierce leading the team.

[/QUOTE]

Don't fall into the trap of the Rondo hater trolls!

We would have gone much further with Rondo&Sullinger. Rondo would make up in scoring for KG's drop off. The pressure off of Bradley would have allowed him a better opportunity to score by slashing, cutting, and corner 3's while excelling at defense. Rondo would have found KG and Paul better looks. Sullinger would have relieved the pressure on KG to rebound like a beast. Rondo handling the ball would have meant minimal PP turnovers, better ball management, better clock management, better situational management.

Above all, Rondo wants to win. He was never included in the "big 3" and that is the chip on his shoulder. He is not widely regarded as a top 5 PG, gets minimal respect from his own team's fanbase. Rondo abosolutely wants a championship more than anyone on the Knicks team, more than Paul George and as much as Hibbert or West. That matters a lot.

Absolutely the Celtics with a healthy Rondo & Sullinger would have defeated the Knicks in 6, would have defeated Indy in 7 and had a chance to take Miami to 7 games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

I say keep the current roster. Take someone useful in the draft and let the season play itself out.  Hope Paul stays and I hope he moves into the background. Like the best 6th man in hte league. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

i don't have a problem with that. i think you leave it up to him. he's earned the right to choose his fate. if he wants to go to a contender (as long as it's not miami), i'm all for it. maybe we can get something in exchange for him. if not, i guess we could buy him out. buying him out won't allow us much more flexability this year, but at least it puts green in the starting role, where he should be.

Definitely agree with you about Pierce.  If he doesn't return to the Celtics it would be great for him to join another team where he has a chance of winning another championship just not Miami.   Another possibility is that Danny moves up in the draft.  Just not sure what the Celtics would have to give up for this to happen. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What???

[/QUOTE]

Don't fall into the trap of the Rondo hater trolls!

We would have gone much further with Rondo&Sullinger. Rondo would make up in scoring for KG's drop off. The pressure off of Bradley would have allowed him a better opportunity to score by slashing, cutting, and corner 3's while excelling at defense. Rondo would have found KG and Paul better looks. Sullinger would have relieved the pressure on KG to rebound like a beast. Rondo handling the ball would have meant minimal PP turnovers, better ball management, better clock management, better situational management.

Above all, Rondo wants to win. He was never included in the "big 3" and that is the chip on his shoulder. He is not widely regarded as a top 5 PG, gets minimal respect from his own team's fanbase. Rondo abosolutely wants a championship more than anyone on the Knicks team, more than Paul George and as much as Hibbert or West. That matters a lot.

Absolutely the Celtics with a healthy Rondo & Sullinger would have defeated the Knicks in 6, would have defeated Indy in 7 and had a chance to take Miami to 7 games.

[/QUOTE]

When you say it my heart agrees with you.  And part of my head.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

[QUOTE]

What???

[/QUOTE]

folks can not let go......

Sections
Shortcuts