I knew I liked Jerry West (the GM) for a reason!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

I knew I liked Jerry West (the GM) for a reason!

This is what I have been saying all along about Howard - finally, someone is making some sense

If Otis wants to KEEP him, he should threaten to trade him - brilliant!!

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7535186/jerry-west-says-teams-give-players-trade-demands

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: I knew I liked Jerry West (the GM) for a reason!

Lockout ended because players checks stopped comming...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GinaM1977. Show GinaM1977's posts

C'mon Jerry, you can't really believe yourself...
    He sounds like a complete whiner in this article.

"It would be better than saddling yourself with a bunch of players that are not going to fit in to what you're trying to do"

So, I guess getting two good players, a couple of 1st round draft picks, and financial relief from other bad contracts for Dwight doesn't fit into the category of "not going to fit in to what you're trying to do..."

Clueless....

Orlando has publically said that they are not going to let Dwight leave without getting fair value for him. They were burned once and won't let it happen again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: I knew I liked Jerry West (the GM) for a reason!:
    C'mon Jerry, you can't really believe yourself... He sounds like a complete whiner in this article. "It would be better than saddling yourself with a bunch of players that are not going to fit in to what you're trying to do" So, I guess getting two good players, a couple of 1st round draft picks, and financial relief from other bad contracts for Dwight doesn't fit into the category of "not going to fit in to what you're trying to do..." Clueless.... Orlando has publically said that they are not going to let Dwight leave without getting fair value for him. They were burned once and won't let it happen again.
    Posted by GinaM1977

Got a LINK for that one, MTRAX??
    THEY have also said they don't want to trade him at all!!

Want a link, or will you take that one at face value??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Sounds like DH told Golden State to take a hike...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Let's examine Jerry's analysis in detail.

1. In that year where they have one more year for the max salary, they could likely get 50% to 75% of that same value with anouther team.  So, they are only leaving $7.5M to $15M on the table, before taxes.

2. If you are Dwight Howard, you can make that same amount in endorsements/commercials/appearances.  Even if you can make only HALF of that in endorsements, that significantly reduces the money they walk away from.

3. If DH stays with Orlando for a longer period, he continues to suffer embarrasing losses like the two against the Celtics and others, exit the playoffs, and definitely can't win a championship.  

Now - with all of those true considerations, I don't think that one extra year is a big deal to him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

To be clear, using Dwight Howard as an example, he could sign for say 6 years with Orlando at Max money.  But if he signs with say the nets for 5 years, he'll simply sign a new contract with the Nets in year 6 for AT LEAST 50% to 75% of what he would have gotten on the original deal with Orlando.   So, he's not losing $30M.   He may well make the same amount or nearly the same amount when he signs the next contract with his new team.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GinaM1977. Show GinaM1977's posts

LA won't be able to sign max free agents until the 2014-15 season.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Hey, Red, this is a good one, Liar vs. LIAR. Ha Ha
    Posted by Fiercest34

One is a born liar, and the other is convicted!!   HO HO

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: I knew I liked Jerry West (the GM) for a reason! : 0 pts for effort ...
    Posted by Mployee8

Sorry, it was too good to pass up.  You haven't lied to me - my apologies...............but mtrax has!!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFURY13. Show DFURY13's posts

Otis can't trade him to LA. If he did that he would need to move as far away from Orlando as he can because the backlash for that franchise would be epic. It's liking telling your fanbase we develop centers and then let them go to LA to win instead of trying to win here.

If he was smart he's go to the teams that could afford him in FA next year and try to deal him and get picks or at least something. There are about 4 or 5 teams including the C's in that situation. With a deep draft and a pedestrian team around Howard they might as well get what they can anyways.

Sections
Shortcuts