I know it's only one game, but

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I know it's only one game, but

After watching the game against the Knicks and watching the Clippers game, I think I prefer Rondo to Paul on this Celtic team. Both are great, great players. I liked Rondo's mind set yesterday. No hesitancy going to the basket and drawing fouls. I thought last year he questioned that wisdom. Also no hesitancy with his jumper. I do think Paul has a better jumper, but I think Rondo gets into the lane easier than Paul, and I like Rondo on defense over Paul. The tie breaker for me is salary and health, and in both cases I prefer Rondo. I think the next issue for Rondo is can he recruit and convince a high end free agent to come to Boston? Other elite players want to play with Paul. Do they want to play with Rondo?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Re: I know it's only one game, but

Rondo did a good job last night.  He scored a ton of points when the game was moving up and down, but truth is and most don't like the truth, Rondo has huge problems when the game slows down like the last half of the fourth quarter.  He needs help because that is not the strong part of his game.  But it is the part of the game that most NBA games are won or lost.  Paul will help, Eddie House would fit well at the end of the game, and a play or two for Brandon Bass would be huge.  And yea I would not be suprised to see Avery Bradley throwing the ball away because he is our secret difference player.     But like Doc said we just don't get it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

To his credit, Rondo played aggressively and took what the defense was giving him... a whole lot of easy, uncontested shots.

To his credit, he even earned and took/made a lot of similarly uncontested FTs. GOOD FOR HIM!

Many times he doesn't. This time he did. Next time who knows???

When the game was on the line, all that changed and Rondo became far less aggressive... and passed on what the defense was giving him.

I would have respected his taking the ball to the rim when the game was up for grabs and either scored or got to the FT line.

That's when I judge a PG's play. That's when the elite PG earns his reputation.

Didn't happen.

Still a good game for Rondo... but not a great game.

A good game.

Pud

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

@maryngary
    I agree 100 %. Nothing to add.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

The Celtics seem to be able to turn it on for awhile and certainly were in the game with the Knicks to the finish.  However, the Celtics need to play a more balanced game as the team let the Knicks put itself in a pretty deep hole to start that game.  Getting Paul Pierce back in the lineup and being able to use Pietrus should give the Celtics a boost.  Lets see what Celtics look like after 15 games, it is a shorter season and by then should have a pretty good idea how this team comes together.  Danny, IMHO, did a remarkable job putting this team together after the lockout was settled.  The team has good role players, look pretty strong with Brandon Bass, Marquis Daniels, Keyon Dooling, Chris Wilcox, Sasha and Pietrus could be keys, if everyone can stay healthy. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to I know it's only one game, but:
    [QUOTE]After watching the game against the Knicks and watching the Clippers game, I think I prefer Rondo to Paul on this Celtic team. Both are great, great players. I liked Rondo's mind set yesterday. No hesitancy going to the basket and drawing fouls. I thought last year he questioned that wisdom. Also no hesitancy with his jumper. I do think Paul has a better jumper, but I think Rondo gets into the lane easier than Paul, and I like Rondo on defense over Paul. The tie breaker for me is salary and health, and in both cases I prefer Rondo. I think the next issue for Rondo is can he recruit and convince a high end free agent to come to Boston? Other elite players want to play with Paul. Do they want to play with Rondo?
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I'd rather have Rondo, too.  As far as next year's Free Agents go, my attitude is this:
    There are not going to be a lot of teams with cap space....so if you put enough green in their pockets, they'll gladly put on a green uniform!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Pud,
    Rondo earned a pass yesterday.  Your point about allowing to the game to stagnate is right though.  My sense is that it has as much to do with the fatigue of Garnett and Ray. They played way too many minutes at this point in the season. Doc went off his five-five-five plan for Garnett in the first game.

Rondo may have been gassed as well.  If he had kept going to the basket we would have most likely won.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: I know it's only one game, but:
    [QUOTE]In Response to I know it's only one game, but : I agree.  I'd rather have Rondo, too.  As far as next year's Free Agents go, my attitude is this: There are not going to be a lot of teams with cap space....so if you put enough green in their pockets, they'll gladly put on a green uniform!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

Rondo had a great game yesterday.  If he plays like this for the season, we should have a good record.   Next year is definitely very uncertain, but with all of the cap space that the Celtics will have, I am sure that Danny will sign some good players.   He is the one responsible for signing KG and Ray, so I have confidence that Danny will form another good team.   He did a good job this year in a short-time of signing players without much cap space. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Brandon Bass is a keeper and not just because of his game yesterday.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

If you had told me Rondo and Bass would have had the type of games they had before the game I would have probably penciled in a win.  With Melo hitting shots with hands in his face and Amare draining threes,  i can see how we lost.  I don't think Amare will continue draining threes like that.  Hope he stays out there against us though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Over the last handful of possessions, Ray missed an off balance three (not a good play by him) and Daniels missed an open squared up three, and Garnett doesn't offer a low post option to play off of.  It is mostly up to Rondo to make sure the last two minutes of play are not as "helter skelter" as they were yesterday, however, he got zero help and that's the nature of the last two minutes of a close game.  Not a "great" game because "great" would have been him winning it despite the fact his options didn't offer him a lot at the end yesterday. It would have been him finding a way no matter what. But pretty darn close to "great".  

I respect and appreciate the way Rondo set the tone for his play with the way he came out yesterday.  He's showed me a mental toughness by coming out the way he did and letting us all know that he is 100% in, that he's a Celtic.  For example, he is the opposite of Lamar Odom whose mental fragility wouldn't allow him to stay in L.A.  

I think Rondo showed that he's capable of a lot of responsibility yesterday.  He was aggressive, took the hits, and really kept his team in the game during the first half when it seemed that they had no idea (except for Rondo doing the Rondo thing) about how else to score.  Then Bass came in, and unlike Perk, his hands will receive what Rondo sees.  Unlike Baby and Perk, Bass can also run well enough to add another asset for Rondo's passing.  Rondo controlled the flow of the game as well, so beyond the numbers he did what a point guard is supposed to do.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE] Over the last handful of possessions, Ray missed an off balance three (not a good play by him) and Daniels missed an open squared up three, and Garnett doesn't offer a low post option to play off of.  It is mostly up to Rondo to make sure the last two minutes of play are not as "helter skelter" as they were yesterday, however, he got zero help and that's the nature of the last two minutes of a close game.  Not a "great" game because "great" would have been him winning it despite the fact his options didn't offer him a lot at the end yesterday. It would have been him finding a way no matter what. But pretty darn close to "great".      I respect and appreciate the way Rondo set the tone for his play with the way he came out yesterday.  He's showed me a mental toughness by coming out the way he did and letting us all know that he is 100% in, that he's a Celtic.  For example, he is the opposite of Lamar Odom whose mental fragility wouldn't allow him to stay in L.A.    I think Rondo showed that he's capable of a lot of responsibility yesterday.  He was aggressive, took the hits, and really kept his team in the game during the first half when it seemed that they had no idea (except for Rondo doing the Rondo thing) about how else to score.  Then Bass came in, and unlike Perk, his hands will receive what Rondo sees.  Unlike Baby and Perk, Bass can run well enough to add another asset for Rondo's passing.  Rondo controlled the flow of the game as well, so beyond the numbers he did what a point guard is supposed to do.   
    Posted by passfirst[/QUOTE]

Nice Post

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Pierce will help? Thats like saying Bird was ok...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Ya, I am more thankful about the Pierce extension than I was last year.  With Rondo and Pierce it won't be so bad over the next few years.  Pierce's legs are gone but he has a game that won't go away and will be extremely valuable to the team during transition.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Good game for Rondo...actually it was excellent.  He turned down one WIDE open jumper and scewed the offense all up but that was about it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Amare is an MVP type player.  I always loved his game.  In Response to Re: I know it's only one game, but:
    [QUOTE]If you had told me Rondo and Bass would have had the type of games they had before the game I would have probably penciled in a win.  With Melo hitting shots with hands in his face and Amare draining threes,  i can see how we lost.  I don't think Amare will continue draining threes like that.  Hope he stays out there against us though.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4420007. Show user_4420007's posts

[QUOTE]Good game for Rondo...actually it was excellent.  He turned down one WIDE open jumper and scewed the offense all up but that was about it.
    Posted by shines01[/QUOTE]

Don't be hard on him, I hear he's been working on his jumper in the off season......again.

Ugh.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

It was a great game for Rondo in the style he played. He has to force the issue. The Ray KG and Pierce are too long in the tooth. I wish he would have played as aggressive in the 4th as the first 3 quaters. Until Pierce plays this team will struggle to get to .500 He's more important than KG. They already have a hard time scoring and without him zero people can create their own shot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Chris Paul is better for this Celtics team than Rondo... but while one is a top 3 PG (w/ Rose and Deron) the other is still a top 7 PG and fantastic player.

Paul would get you 9-11 assists and 21-23 points... same as Rondo, maybe even a few less dimes and reb's... but it is the way he gets the points (easier 3's and pull-ups) and the way his offense would free up the big 3 that makes him better for our team.

If we are to expect yesterday's Rondo every night that is great... but he will expend a lot of energy and put himself at risk to be injured, while Paul would not, and the big 3 wouldn't get their buckets quite as easy. and in the end of tight games we'd have Chris Paul with the ball in his hand, requiring a double team, and 3 HOFers spread around him... over Rondo handing off to Pierce to iso (a good play from 2002-2010) or giving Ray/KG the ball for a contested shot.

so yes... for just this season, Paul would be better

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

However, Rondo might be the better choice for BOTH the Celtics franchise AND the Clippers franchise based mostly on Paul's degenerative knee condition and certain smaller considerations such as Rondo's below market contract over 4 years (compared to Paul's max under the old CBA deals for 2 years) and the fact that Rondo wouldn't have cost the Clippers Eric Gordan in a trade.

Had the Lakers gotten Chris Paul and the burned Clippers come to us with a Bledsoe-Aminu-Kaman-Minny unprotected pick offer... it would have been interesting to see for both clubs.

Blake and Gordon would both average 22-24 points, Rondo would possible break the all-time assists records for a season and the Clippers would prob be a better team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Maybe the Celtics add Billups for the 3m a year mini-MLE (The Clippers got him for only 2m I recall)

C - Kaman (32 mins), O'Neal (16)
    PF - KG (28), Bass (20)
    SF - Pierce (32), Pietrus/Aminu (16)
    SG - Ray (28) 'Quis (12) Billups (8)
    PG - Billups (20) Bledsoe (28)

That team is better suited to compete for a title this one season then theone we have now.

Then it has only Bledsoe-Avery-Pierce-Aminu-Bass (PO) and Johnson under contract at like 27 million... plsu the right to Jeff Green and THREE 1st rd picks to try and lure BOTH Deron Williams (who I like more than Paul b/c he will have a longer career) and Dwight here this summer...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]Chris Paul is better for this Celtics team than Rondo... but while one is a top 3 PG (w/ Rose and Deron) the other is still a top 7 PG and fantastic player. Paul would get you 9-11 assists and 21-23 points... same as Rondo, maybe even a few less dimes and reb's... but it is the way he gets the points (easier 3's and pull-ups) and the way his offense would free up the big 3 that makes him better for our team. If we are to expect yesterday's Rondo every night that is great... but he will expend a lot of energy and put himself at risk to be injured, while Paul would not, and the big 3 wouldn't get their buckets quite as easy. and in the end of tight games we'd have Chris Paul with the ball in his hand, requiring a double team, and 3 HOFers spread around him... over Rondo handing off to Pierce to iso (a good play from 2002-2010) or giving Ray/KG the ball for a contested shot. so yes... for just this season, Paul would be better
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Good post..

I dont think Rondo can have the kind of game like the knicks game throughout the season. Its exhausting for him and much too physical... he takes alot of clobbers under the hoop when he drives.. he got us lots of FTs yesterday and hit them..  9-12... his last preseason game he was 5-6.. in total 14-18.. I may have to eat my words that Rondo will never be a good FT shooter...be glad to do so too

But ur right, CP's game much less taxing on the body.. he can be very consistent with his game which makes him very valuable. Having to guard him on the perimeter adds another dimension that Rondo doesnt... unless what we saw from Rondo most of yesterday is gonna happen more often than not...

Then Rondo will have lifted himself to another level.. Cant buy into it yet but wouldnt it be nice

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Furthermore.. the Celtics of the future are better off with Rondo b/c CP3 would have been a one and done title or bust acquisition.

If Rondo can knock down the mid-range jumper at the 2-5 or 3-6 clip he did yesterday and hit 80% of his FT's then we are golden.

He is owed a modest 36 million over 3 years and the team will have a lot of cap space to put players around him who can run and finish at the rim with him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I know it's only one game, but : Good post.. I dont think Rondo can have the kind of game like the knicks game throughout the season. Its exhausting for him and much too physical... he takes alot of clobbers under the hoop when he drives.. he got us lots of FTs yesterday and hit them..  9-12... his last preseason game he was 5-6.. in total 14-18.. I may have to eat my words that Rondo will never be a good FT shooter...be glad to do so too But ur right, CP's game much less taxing on the body.. he can be very consistent with his game which makes him very valuable. Having to guard him on the perimeter adds another dimension that Rondo doesnt... unless what we saw from Rondo most of yesterday is gonna happen more often than not... Then Rondo will have lifted himself to another level.. Cant buy into it yet but wouldnt it be nice
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

If Rondo can pick his moments to get to the rim and make sure he is not out of control then all the better.

He has to be shooting those open 18 footers and making at least half of them as well AND he was a 75% FT shooter yesterday (9-12). If that continues... WOW!

Say he attempts 7-8 under control non-risky layups a game... and makes 4-5.

Then he shoots 4 open (makes 2) and 3 contested (makes 1) jumpers a game.

Goes 1-3 on floaters and bank shots and goes 6-8 from the line.

Well that is 23 points a game.

The big 3 and it looks like Bass are all going to be 13-16 point per game guys getting 30-34 minutes a game.

That is 80 points from our best 5 players.

You take the 2 year points averages of the bench and adjust them to the mins we expect of them and you get this:

Dooling - 12 mins - 4 points
    Daniels - 16 mins - 4.5 points
    Pietrus - 16 mins - 5 points
    Wilcox - 12 mins - 4.5 points

Then just assumne Jermaine gives us a lil better than the 5.4 he gave us while mostly hurt last season in 18m per (we'll say 6 points)

So the bench is good for 24 points.

That means the Celtics are a 104-107 point team and that would easily be good for top 10 offense in the game, and maybe top 5, where we have not ever been in this big 3 era.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from henryfinkel. Show henryfinkel's posts

HELLOOOOO---The Knicks' defense can make any PG look All-World. Let's see how Rondo does against the more elite defensive teams before he's annointed the "chosen one".