I Like It! Use the Trade Exception DA!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I Like It! Use the Trade Exception DA!

A somewhat long-winded explanation:

Last summer, when the Celtics traded away Garnett, Pierce, and Allen, they sent out significantly more salary than they took back. Specifically, as part of the deal they sent Paul Pierce (~$15 million) for Keith Bogans (signed and traded for $5 million). This resulted in the creation of a Traded Player Exception ($10 million).

The Celtics have one calendar year from the date of the finalization of that trade to use this Traded Player Exception, plus a grace period of a few days.

The Traded Player Exception allows the Celtics to take on salary in a trade without sending equivalent salary back, even though they don’t have room under the cap to do so. However, the Traded Player Exception can only be used to absorb the salary of one player, not multiple players, and it can’t be broken up into smaller chunks in separate deals. The Celtics can use it once, and only once, on one player.

An example of a deal the Celtics could pull off would be to absorb Jeremy Lin’s salary from Houston without sending anything in return. For the service of taking on Lin, the Celtics can get the Rockets to send a pick or the rights to player along in the bargain, for example a future 1st, multiple 2nds, or the rights to Clint Capela (pick #25 in last month’s draft).

It’s worth noting, the Celtics also have a limited window to use Keith Bogans’ $5 million contract before the deadline to waive him comes up. Bogans’ contract will work in much the same fashion as the TPE because his salary for next season is fully non-guaranteed. Bogans, however, can be traded for multiple players as long as the salaries match.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: I Like It! Use the Trade Exception DA!

This is likely the deal Houston has in place for Lin!

The C's need Lebron, Melo, and Bosh to make their decisions! 

If Lebron bolts back to Ohio - I predict Bosh goes to Houston (max deal)!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I actually heard PHI was the team.........

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I actually heard PHI was the team.........

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

[/QUOTE]

That is where McHale's ties to Boston might come in handy! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i think we have to use the TPE by saturday the 12th....i'm pretty sure..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am not certain either - the League is waiting for Lebron, Melo, and Bosh to make a decision! Once teams know where the Big 3 end up, the dominoes will start to fall!

I really hope Lebron bolts to the Cavs!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am not certain either - the League is waiting for Lebron, Melo, and Bosh to make a decision! Once teams know where the Big 3 end up, the dominoes will start to fall!

[/QUOTE]

i think we have 2 day's after the NBA opens the new season when players can start signing contracts and trades are real..that's thursday the 10th...we have ti'll the 12th

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Not  sure if this was said, but I THINK........they expire 1 year after the trade made to acquire them!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajorMajor. Show MajorMajor's posts

i think we have 2 day's after the NBA opens the new season when players can start signing contracts and trades are real..that's thursday the 10th...we have ti'll the 12th

You are correct.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to MajorMajor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are correct.

[/QUOTE]

The Cs need the dominoes to start falling! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajorMajor. Show MajorMajor's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not  sure if this was said, but I THINK........they expire 1 year after the trade made to acquire them!

[/QUOTE]

Trade Exception (Paul Pierce, expiring 7/12/14) — $10,275,136
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/boston-celtics-team-salary/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I would rather let it expire than take on a bad contract just for the sake of using the exception. The Celtics need to wait another year, and then re-assess where their collective penile member points.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to davidap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would rather let it expire than take on a bad contract just for the sake of using the exception. The Celtics need to wait another year, and then re-assess where their collective penile member points.

[/QUOTE]

X2

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I would rather they try to get better then try to get worse.  In other words take on a questionable contract if the pick or player sweetner makes them better long term.  Don't have to try to get worse and "hope" to get a good draft pick.  Rarely happens.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

The $10.3MM trade exception expires this Saturday (Midnight?).

The C's should go after two FA's with the TPE via a S&T from their old teams.

*Emeka Okafor is coming back from neck surgery and won't command a big payday after not playing the entire season last year. The Suns can do a S&T for maybe $6-7MM in return for a 2nd round pick to act as facilitator.

With the remaining $3-4MM TPE or Bogans/2nd rd pick we should be able to land Anthony Morrow a 6'5" SG with a 3-pt avg for his career of nearly 43%. Not only does he shoot threes but he held opposing SG's to a 12.8 PER over 48 mins last season. If Bradley is traded for Love then all the C's will have at SG is Smart,Young or Johnson unless Bayless is brought back which is doubtful.

Then with the MLE we can try to sign Jordan Hill who isn't deserving of much more than that since he doesn't have the stamina to play more than 20 min/gm at the C position and hasn't been very consistent there either.

With Okafor, Hill, & Fav the C's will be good for the next year with only Hill being signed for more than one year.

* Isaiah Thomas in a S&T for $8-9MM of the TPE instead of Okafor is another option but if Hill isn't landed then all we'd have is Fav, Anthony & Iverson at center.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

In response to BrandBreaker8's comment:
    [QUOTE]

*Emeka Okafor is coming back from neck surgery and won't command a big payday after not playing the entire season last year. The Suns can do a S&T for maybe $6-7MM in return for a 2nd round pick to act as facilitator.

With the remaining $3-4MM TPE or Bogans/2nd rd pick we should be able to land Anthony Morrow a 6'5" SG with a 3-pt avg for his career of nearly 43%. Not only does he shoot threes but he held opposing SG's to a 12.8 PER over 48 mins last season. If Bradley is traded for Love then all the C's will have at SG is Smart,Young or Johnson unless Bayless is brought back which is doubtful.

Then with the MLE we can try to sign Jordan Hill who isn't deserving of much more than that since he doesn't have the stamina to play more than 20 min/gm at the C position and hasn't been very consistent there either.

With Okafor, Hill, & Fav the C's will be good for the next year with only Hill being signed for more than one year.

* Isaiah Thomas in a S&T for $8-9MM of the TPE instead of Okafor is another option but if Hill isn't landed then all we'd have is Fav, Anthony & Iverson at center.

[/QUOTE] Joel Anthony is a FA! So Iverson, Fav and pray for rain!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We're on the same boat! RIP heat fans!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Joel Anthony is a FA! So Iverson, Fav and pray for rain!

[/QUOTE]

Anthony exercised his option to stay another year at $3.8MM. We are stuck with him unless Ainge can flip him in a trade or opts to waive him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's like I didn't miss a beat!

Obviously you're Mployee8 cuz only M8 keeps throwing out Anthony Morrow's name since 2011.

BTW, why you change your handle?

Got banned?

LOL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to ConnectingRod's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's like I didn't miss a beat!

Obviously you're Mployee8 cuz only M8 keeps throwing out Anthony Morrow's name since 2011.

BTW, why you change your handle?

Got banned?

LOL

[/QUOTE]

Yeah but, could they use the stretch provision on Joel Anthony? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

If they can use it to get Capella, then DO IT!  Lin would be fine because it makes trading Rondo just a little more palatable, and you could just let Lin go when his contract is up.  

They need to be loading up on guys with major upside, like Capella, and looking for the next Greek Freak.  There should be no place for low-mid level vets on this team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I thought the TPE couldn't be used on multiple players?  And wouldn't DA want to use it to acquire an expiring contract if he can't use it to land a player who fits here?  It seems there are multiple teams that will need to clear cap room and that they may be willing to part with picks or a young player to facilitate that.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought the TPE couldn't be used on multiple players?  And wouldn't DA want to use it to acquire an expiring contract if he can't use it to land a player who fits here?  It seems there are multiple teams that will need to clear cap room and that they may be willing to part with picks or a young player to facilitate that.   

[/QUOTE]

Bingo! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

You can use it on multiple players as long as the salaries of all players don't exceed 10.3m.

What you can't do with a TPE is combine it with another player or picks.

For example, you can't combine the 10.3m TPE with Wallace's salary(10.1m) to get a player worth 20.4m.

But you can use the 10.3m TPE to acquire 2 players that will cost 5m each.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Once the dominoes start falling Ainge needs to be ready. I like Jordan Hill but right now we have a bunch of junk on our front line that we need to sort out.