I like Perk as much as the next guy, but c'mon...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

I like Perk as much as the next guy, but c'mon...

Perk is a decent center, and sure as hell has guts and character, but this is a great trade for the Celtics. Green averages pretty much the same number of rebounds as Perk (~6/game), but twice the number of points (~15) and assists (~2) - really, Krstics numbers (10, 5.5, 1) more than replace Perk's. Perk is a good defender, but so is Green, AND the C's defense seemed to do just fine with Shaq (their offense was undoubtably BETTER). Shaq was better with the starting unit, and Perk, unfortunately, would not be effective with the second unit. Perk has peaked, and the Celtics were not going to be able to resign him. Green is on the upswing, and will be resigned if he lives up to his promise. I'll miss Perk, cause he's a quality individual, but this trade improves the Celtics and this is not even considering the additional Big that Ainge will undoubtably sign....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Re: I like Perk as much as the next guy, but c'mon...

Perk can be replaced. He has benifited from playing the the big 3, he also has a bum knee. I'll take future star Jeff Green

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Don't disagree that Green is a good pickup, but Ainge is gambling that the O'Neals will be healthy and that someone who can add some quality minutes will be bought out.  Danny Ainge is a calculated gambler, so I'm sure he feels pretty confident that Shaq and JO will be able to contribute, and hopefully he has a wink wink nod agreement with a player whose buyout is impending. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

The Celtics main problem this season is the scoring droughts late in the 4th qtr. Hopefully Jeff Green and possibly Troy Murphy can help the Celtics in that department.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

Great move---if Shaq is healthy for the playoffs.   Green is versatile and has potential all-star talent.   Delonte West's return makes Nate redundant and Kristic isn't bad.

Two open roster spots so DA isbn't doen yet.

But if both of the O'Neils are down come playoff time, kiss any chance for #18 goodbye.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

The bench scoring droughts was the biggest problem. Green is going to create mismatches for teams and he'll be able to play the opposing teams wings so PP doesn't have to play 40 mins.

No one expects Shaq to carry the load at C but the Celtics were using C by committee anyway. Keep an eye on the Sheed situation. He doesn't still live in Boston because he likes the weather.

Is Sheed, Krstic and Shaq a better tandem than Perk, Semih and Shaq? I say by far yes

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

I'm happy with this trade for the above reasons as well as for my own mental health; screaming at the television every time: Perkins flubbed all those great but fruitless passes, held the ball too long, didn't fake anyone (even though he tried) and had so many of his layups blocked, got so many unnecessary and harmfully placed technicals.  I won't ever say, "if we only had Perk" - I didn't in the finals last year because it wasn't Bynum that burned us or the Lakers' inside game (It was already 37-17 and easily could have been 43-17).  But last year is long over, and looking forward I see a much more athletic team around Rondo. Besides, the moves likely are not over.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcrossDaPond. Show AcrossDaPond's posts

You guys are right Danny's gambling but your wrong about what he's betting on. 
    He's gambling that Perk's knee is not going to be ready for a full playoff run.  not that the other guys can get it done.  

Perk's knee must have been about to fall completely off.  Ainge wasn't going to sign him for the 50+mil he'll get on the market (he already tried and failed offering 22mil over 4, perk wanted twice that).  This deal still only makes sense if Danny thought Perk wasn't going to be able fully contribute THIS SEASON.  He's hurt now and who knows going forward.  Only way he gets traded right now is if he was written off for the future and had major problems and might not be healthy for the playoffs...   
    If thats the decision that was made this could be seen as a very good move.  Remember at the end of the day we got a better overall player than OKC did w/o the health problems and he can contribute in the last 5 minutes of a game (perk never does).  
    Too bad he can't play some interior D thou, let's hope we avoid the Magic early in the playoffs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

Perk was a solid, stolid starter for the C's but his limitations were too glaring. I think that Howard may have solved the puzzle of the beast because Perk seemed to be right where was last year when he came back from the injury and Howard positively abused him. I'm more hurt by the loss of the Semih, who I believe would not have panned out as a turkey with a little more seasoning and would have grown into  a real steal . In fact, to lose him and Luke for a 2ND rounder instead of Parker was ominious.. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from paul0. Show paul0's posts

In Response to Re: I like Perk as much as the next guy, but c'mon...:
    [QUOTE]The Celtics main problem this season is the scoring droughts late in the 4th qtr. Hopefully Jeff Green and possibly Troy Murphy can help the Celtics in that department.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Oh you crystal ball is back working again and you know that Murphy is signed?  Really, I missed it.  Then there is your prediction that the Celtics would gut out another win last night even though the bench was thin.  Then there's your other revelation that both KG and Allen sign at the vet's minimum just so the Celtics can reload and there going to do it out of the goodness of their heart. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcrossDaPond. Show AcrossDaPond's posts

My bet is danny would be MUCH more comfortable giving Green a 9-10 mil per contract (he's an RFA next yr, Perk was a stright up FA) in a year or two.  He made the decision Perk was not going to get that much from the C's and pulled a Belichick on him.  And remember, when you have a old team you need your young guys to be on the court.  When you have old guys getting inevitable games off you need health in your young talent (not young bench guys) to take up the mins. 
    Tough to call right now but it looks like they are taking a long term pats style approch to teambuilding.  The big ? now is does that work in Basketball like it does in football?  Did the lakers just do it transitioning from shaq to pau/bynum?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]You guys are right Danny's gambling but your wrong about what he's betting on.  . He's gambling that Perk's knee is not going to be ready for a full  playoff run.  not that the other guys can get it done.   Perk's knee must have been about to fall completely off.  Ainge wasn't going to sign him for the 50+mil he'll get on the market (he already tried and failed offering 22mil over 4, perk wanted twice that).  This deal still only makes sense if Danny thought Perk wasn't going to be able fully contribute THIS SEASON.  He's hurt now and who knows going forward.  Only way he gets traded right now is if he was written off for the future and had major problems and might not be healthy for the playoffs...    .. If thats the decision that was made this could be seen as a very good move.  Remember at the end of the day we got a better overall player than OKC did w/o the health problems and he can contribute in the last 5 minutes of a game (perk never does).   . Too bad he can't play some interior D thou, let's hope we avoid the Magic early in the playoffs.
    Posted by AcrossDaPond[/QUOTE]

Lots of pluses and minuses to this to this trade.  On balance I like it.....but I'm like the team - I will miss Perk's D and rebounding and I hope it doesn't destroy the chemistry and tightness of this team.  However, I think it had nothing to do with his knee.  He came back from the surgically repaired knee and was playing fine (slow as ever but he was always slow).  The new injury was a different knee and wasn't even serious.   

This had nothing to do with a knee problem.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kccorwin. Show kccorwin's posts

I like the trade. I was worried that we would over pay Perkins anyway and jeopardize our future. I think Kristic will be as good as Perk because he makes the offense so much better then Perk. I hope that the team chemistry is good with him. Green will be great subbing for Pierce and at the 4 and he will help the 2nd unit in the scoring department and also will be a good defender on Lebron and Anthony. I think Danny must belief that Jermaine Oneal surgery and rehad are going well and that he will be able to pick up another big after teams do there buyouts. Perk will be a free agent and if OKC does not sign him we may be able to bring him back as a free agent. Maybe Sheed is lurking in the background but we didn't give up Semi and Harrangody if Danny did not have another person coming on board soon. Just wish we didn't have to play short handed last night and lose a game that we could have won and picked up a game on Miami.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

[QUOTE]My bet is danny would be MUCH more comfortable giving Green a 9-10 mil per contract (he's an RFA next yr, Perk was a stright up FA) in a year or two.  He made the decision Perk was not going to get that much from the C's and pulled a Belichick on him.  And remember, when you have a old team you need your young guys to be on the court.  When you have old guys getting inevitable games off you need health in your young talent (not young bench guys) to take up the mins.  Tough to call right now but it looks like they are taking a long term pats style approch to teambuilding.  The big ? now is does that work in Basketball like it does in football?  Did the lakers just do it transitioning from shaq to pau/bynum?
    Posted by AcrossDaPond[/QUOTE]

BINGO!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Perk done 3 years ago!

His knee bucked in the Lakers championship, I don't want to gamble with that knee anymore. Bring on Green...young skilled lad.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

the more i think about these trades, aside from the fact that perk seems like a great guy, i think we'll be OK. i agree that he peaked from a potential standpoint long ago. he is really a limited role player in this league. he's good at the role he plays, but not great. i wish him the best and i'll be a little more of a thunder fan than i was when i woke up yesterday because of him. go get 'em perk. take down kobe and the lakers.

as for us, DA must feel OK that shaq/JON will be able to play come playoff time. it's probably a good thing that JON went ahead with his knee surgery. if shaq can get and stay healthy, we may just be a better team come playoff time. and i think we'll add another C before it's all said and done. i'm not sure that sheed is the answer, but we'll find murphy or someone like him.

as for green, i love this addition. let's face it, pierce looks tired at times. in fact, he looks really tired at times. this is going to help pierce stay healthy and energized and that's huge come playoff time. a second unit of west, wafer, green, BBD and JON wouldn't be half bad against any team's second unit. and let's face it, green's gonna see a lot of PT with the starters as well.

further, on green, the guy is young. a core of rondo and green will be a whole lot more attractive to whatever big-time free agents are coming down the pike (howard?) than a core of rondo and perk. we can build around rondo/green, whereas i'm not sure we could build as easily around rondo/perk.

as for marquis, hate to see him go, but he may never play again and green is twice the player he is. nate never really panned out. he's not a 1 and wafer is a better 2. harrangody probably has no spot here with KG, BBD, pierce and green filling the 3 and 4 spots for the foreseeable future. i would have liked to keep semih though. not sure why that move made much sense, even if we add another big, we can send semih to D leage or he can go ahead and get his shoulder fixed and get ready for next year. we're going to run a lot more going forward, with rondo and green, and semih could have done that better than any other C currently on the roster. oh, well. DA must know something i don't.

in the end, i was as shocked as anyone else to see perk moved yesterday, but the more i thought about the moves, the more they made sense. i do not think we've hurt our chances this year, and we've improved our chances for down the road. perhaps perk should have signed when he had the chance. or maybe this is a good move for him. only time will tell. and we added a few draft picks. so...i guess we'll see. go celts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

This is all about what Kristic can do (can he be at least somewhat near what Perkins was) and does Ainge have the final rabbit in the hat?

Would be nice to somehow add Anthony Parker and either Dalembert or someone like that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

We managed to have the 2nd best record without Perk this season so I think we'll be just fine.  Let's face it, we were going to lose him anyway this offseason so why not get something now in return.  Perk was reported to be on the Thunder's radar this offseason anyway.  Perk IS NOT worth the type of contract that he would have commanded on the open market and the Celtics knew that.  He IS, at best, a $5.5 million per year center.  He definitely is not a $7/$8 million per year center.

I forsee the Celtics finishing games with this lineup:  KG, Green, Pierce, Ray and Rondo.

I will miss Perk but, like Tony Allen and others, he overvalued his own worth and is now a Thunder.  I wish him the best and thank him for all he's done for the Celtics.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cujo99. Show cujo99's posts

Agreed.  No doubt the guy was loved and had a strong defensive mindset.  Offensively the guy was undersized and a disaster under the hoop.  Not to mention his inability to hit free throws.

Yes there is concern about the defensive ability of Krstic, but he is going to be primarily with the second team which despatately needs offensive help. 

Let's not forget we have the best assist providing guard in the league who, although was close personally with Perk, has to be licking his chops to have another true offensive outlet.  Krstic's numbers will skyrocket with this team by playoff time!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

Let's not forget that we obtained the Clippers #1 pick in 2012.  If it is a lottery pick,  this could potentially be a very big deal. 

Problem is the short run.  I'm troubled losing Perk's defensive presence.  You need an enforcer.  However, we have needed a 3/4 type player(Posey).  We now have one and a top 5 pick(Dudder speak!) to boot.  Krstic is not a total stiff.  We need Shaq and JON back for insurance after launching Semih. 

I was initially puzzled by the Semih trade, but it as well as the Marquis trade open up roster spots.

So we now have 3 open spots.  I feel Danny has another shoe or three to drop on us.  He keeps us engaged.  Let the speculation begin!!!  Or continue?

How's Leon running these days?

PA

+

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

We will become the buyout bandits.  Here are my predictions of buyout targets:
    Rip Hamilton - has to be willing to take much less in a buyout
    Troy Murphy
    Nate Robinson

If these players get bought out, I'd love to see them in green. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

PACelt - It's a lottery protected #1 from the Clippers. So let's start cheering that the Clippers make the 8th seed and get bounced in the first round for the highest pick possible.

Petey-I agree, if Nate is bought out he could be back.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]We will become the buyout bandits.  Here are my predictions of buyout targets: Rip Hamilton - has to be willing to take much less in a buyout Troy Murphy Nate Robinson If these players get bought out, I'd love to see them in green. 
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

I have seen all of Nate I need.  Delonte looked better in his 2nd game back than Nate has looked all year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

Petey, I'm with you.  We aren't going into the playoffs with any open spots.  With you on Murphy and Rip, would be nice if OKC bought out Nazr Muhammad.  I'd still like another actual center.  I'm hedging against the O'Neals.

We will just have to patiently wait for teams to shed salary.

PA

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Ainge has got to be sitting on certain teams in a financial pinch on the cusp of a lockout, and thinking pricey, older players will be available here shortly.

There is no other explanation for gambling at Center when Boston is clearly a top 3 team in the East.

Either they think Shaq will be rested and fine by April and Kristic is a slam dunk to at least mirror Perk's skill set or Ainge has one more trick up the sleeve.

I am betting on the latter.

Sections
Shortcuts