I like Perk as much as the next guy, but c'mon...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

Re: I like Perk as much as the next guy, but c'mon...

If there isn't another, couple aces up Danny's sleeve, why would he need to trade Luke and Semih at all.  Ditto Marquis.  I can understand trading one to open a spot, but three?  He knows something.

PA

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

In Response to Re: I like Perk as much as the next guy, but c'mon...:
    Let's not forget that we obtained the Clippers #1 pick in 2012.  If it is a lottery pick,  this could potentially be a very big deal.  Problem is the short run.  I'm troubled losing Perk's defensive presence.  You need an enforcer.  However, we have needed a 3/4 type player(Posey).  We now have one and a top 5 pick(Dudder speak!) to boot.  Krstic is not a total stiff.  We need Shaq and JON back for insurance after launching Semih.  I was initially puzzled by the Semih trade, but it as well as the Marquis trade open up roster spots. So we now have 3 open spots.  I feel Danny has another shoe or three to drop on us.  He keeps us engaged.  Let the speculation begin!!!  Or continue? How's Leon running these days? PA +
    Posted by PACelt

Unfortunately, it can not be a lottery-pick, it's called a "lottery-protected pick," they received in the deal. In other words, the best it sould be is I believe 10th overall. If the Clippers are in the lottery, the C's will get their next year's 1st-round pick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

the future of the team looks like this in the next week.

C shaq
    f kg 
    f truth
    g sugar ray
    g rondo

c krstic
    f bbd
    f green
    g wafer 
    g west 

c sheed
    f jon
    f murphy
    g rip 
    g avery

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I cant like this trade for this season untill DA fills in the other open spots.... with a Center as one.

Long term, its a good move getting a young stud like Green and some draft picks.

Its gonna be Sheed I think...what other center might be available from a buyout?

Like someone posted earlier, DA wouldnt leave 2-3 open spots without something in the works.

BTW, just caught a little of the game last night b4 I fell asleep... The Johnson D-leaguer has some energy and looked decent. How'd he do the rest of the game?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

BTW, just caught a little of the game last night b4 I fell asleep... The Johnson D-leaguer has some energy and looked decent. How'd he do the rest of the game?

Johnson looks like a Camby-esque shot blocker and he has athleticism in surplus.  Unfortunately for him, he also looks like Marcus Camby after a month of a slim fast and lettuce diet. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I think what Danny knows is that if the playoffs were today Shaq would be playing.  Shaq will be ready for the playoffs and Ithink Jermaine will be too.  I think the Troy Murphy thing will work out too.  He actually is a hard hat that can shoot the three.   And we should not forget that more and more Big Baby has been doing an excellent job at the five defensively and offensively. 
    Posted by ShepherdCall

True, but Big Baby an aging Shaq and a frail Jermaine are not an ideal trio, especially a brand new piece in Kristic.

Big Baby is much better in short spurts v.s. over big stretches every night.

Big Baby wouldn't work as someone you'd have to lean on in the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbrr7. Show paulbrr7's posts

PACelt - It's a lottery protected #1 from the Clippers. So let's start cheering that the Clippers make the 8th seed and get bounced in the first round for the highest pick possible. Petey-I agree, if Nate is bought out he could be back.
    Posted by BiasLewis

What is the obsession with a 5" nothing guard who did little the first two times he was here. I would rather have them sign someone who can play point and shooting guard. West is not reliable due to injuries, if he goes down what then?
    Back to Nate? Isn't that one of the reasons we needed to make such drastic changes, because the bench couldn't score or defend.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: I like Perk as much as the next guy, but c'mon... : Oh you crystal ball is back working again and you know that Murphy is signed?  Really, I missed it.  Then there is your prediction that the Celtics would gut out another win last night even though the bench was thin.  Then there's your other revelation that both KG and Allen sign at the vet's minimum just so the Celtics can reload and there going to do it out of the goodness of their heart.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by paul0

Ray and KG will be renounced summer of 2012 so the Celts can make a max contract offer for Dwight Howard

If they want to split the MLE to return to where they are VERY comfortable and would be a title favorite.. then I'd see that as 99% happening. Mobody is giving them more than full MLE $ anyhow... they don't leave boston for 3-5 million more when they have made like 300 million combined in their careers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

PACelt - It's a lottery protected #1 from the Clippers. So let's start cheering that the Clippers make the 8th seed and get bounced in the first round for the highest pick possible. Petey-I agree, if Nate is bought out he could be back.
    Posted by BiasLewis

not lottery, top 10 protected

Clips are the 8th worst team now... I think they will be an 8 seed or just miss the playoffs next year... that pick 12-16 will be great. and its top 10 protected 5 years.. so we will get it someday... Griffin, Jordan and Gordon are all going to grow and be great together.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

the future of the team looks like this in the next week. C shaq f kg  f truth g sugar ray g rondo c krstic f bbd f green g wafer  g west  c sheed f jon f murphy g rip  g avery
    Posted by ojmega

i'd think Rip would be our backup SG over Wafer

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Patched up one hole by opening up another one.  We need someone who can board and clog up the middle.  Going Euro with perimeter big men is something to do in October, not February.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2011-02-24-trade-trends_N.htmhr
    At the end of the day, it was a purely business decision. Sometimes, we fans get so emotional and don't, or can't see the tree because of the forest. This was a move to protect us from being held for ransom at a later date. Who knows, what would be available and the negotiating price might not bring the same results.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from atomic. Show atomic's posts

the more i think about this trade, the more i like it and i was a perk fan. people seem to forget how badly the second unit struggled this year. the starters were logging too many minutes as well. this trade hopefully alleviates both of these problems. more depth and more scoring for the second unit, plus fewer minutes for paul, ray and kg in the run up to the playoffs. it also sets us up (gasp!) for the future.

all of the above of course is assuming DA picks up murphy or pryziblla or the like.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Unless Perk's recovery was in question, this was a huge gamble.

The expiration date on the Big Three is near at hand, and this may be the only year that the Celtics have a chance at a championship. The looming lock-out, and possible league contraction put next year in doubt.

I don't agree with those that say that "we have the second best defense in the league with out Perk" as being valid. While the Celtics have beaten all of the contenders without Perk, except for Dallas, the half court game dominates in the play-offs, and defense against large powerful centers becomes a matter of strength and fouls. Both Orlando, and LA have such teams. Shaq is a statue on defense these days, and gets into foul trouble early in most games. Baby can usually guard Howard, but he has no chance against Bynum, or Gasol.

For a team with an expiration date, I see this as gambling with today for a chance not to suck so much after the big three ride off in to the sun set. Unless we can get a substantial big buy-out player (another big gamble), this trade will come back to bite the Celtics if they play the Lakers in the finals.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

It could be the Celts brass no longer feel the Magic and Lakers are what they need to go through to win a title.

Also, our inability to score and rebound was our achilles vs the Lakers last year. We got dominated on the glass with Perk playing, so he wasnt the answer. Offensively, Perk is a non event. Both he and Rondo make the game 3 vs 5 on the offensive end.  Neither can shoot or hit FT's and were an offensive liability in crunch time...  allowing defenses to sag.

Our offense just improved in many ways... but we do lose some good screens from Perk. 

Overall, the thinking may have shifted from tailoring the team from beating the Lakers/Magic to beating the Heat/Bulls/Mavs/Spurs.

Maybe we pick up another BIG off a buyout. If not, we need to pray Shaq can go 20-25 mins. If so, we're ok with Kristic & Baby filling in and the long shot JON making a return.  Sheed may even join up. Some combination of the above sets us in the right direction... just have to wait and see what happens

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Thanks Perk

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thebostonjam. Show thebostonjam's posts

I think people are underestimating how good Jeff Green will be.  Would it be worth it pick up Leone Powe off of the market?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

gotta have some pieces in place if you're gonna make a run at howard in 2012. rondo and green are a nice start.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Karl, you may be right, but again, it is a big gamble. The Lakers, like the Celtics, were built for the play-offs. They have not aged substantially, and only Artest is playing poorly on a consistent basis. ... and since he is such a head case, his poor play may be due to boredom as much as anything.

Certainly the Spurs and the Mavericks will make it difficult for the Lakers in the play-offs.

The difference in game seven was that KG was injured, and would not sky for rebounds and Perk was not available to box out Bynum for rebounds. KG is back, but I am not sure that anyone else besides Perk  can box out Bynum and guard Bynum on while staying out of foul trouble. Our new replacement center is lighter than our power forward. Bynum just shoots over the top of Baby and steals his candy when he goes for the lolly-pop rebound.

If we play the Spurs or the Mavericks, the new line up should work out fine.
    It will also work out against the Heat, and Chicago.

...but... it is a big gamble, we could beat those teams while Perk was playing for the Celtics. Now that he is gone, how do we beat the Lakers if we meet them?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from usa4life. Show usa4life's posts

Maybe they will get a few fast break points.
    Krstic can run well for a Center.
    Green can get up the floor too at the 4 spot.
    Delonte and Wafer can run

Now if they can get a steal or rebound to start the break?
    I miss TA a bit as he and Rondo would motor for a few easy points on the break.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

The only way fans are going to admit that this was the right move is if the Celtics win the championship.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

IF Oneals are still hurt come playoffs it was a terrible trade....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

The only thing that gives me a small amount of comfort is that in the past, I have had a lot of faith in Danny and Doc's decision making. Both of these guys see things that the fans don't see, and they are both have great basketball minds.

Since the Celtics were the only true contender that made a move at the trade deadline, they must have felt that they were doing the right thing. Still it appears that the gambling risk out weighed the possible benefit, since the Celtics have already beaten all contenders (except Dallas)with the pre-trade team.

I am still giving them the benefit of the doubt. I hope they justify my faith in them.

Sections
Shortcuts