I like Wafer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I like Wafer

Wafer showed me even more tonight. He played a good floor game and if his teammates had looked at him alone out on the three line he might have caught fire. He passes well and can jump out of the building to contest shots.  This guy is more than just a three point shooter.  

His teammates need to trust him more. PP forced things all night and Garnett and Rondo could not throw the ball in the ocean.  Wafer should really get some minutes now and it will only help the team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Re: I like Wafer

highly underrated player. he has been a good contributor when called upon. TOnight, he should have been getting the ball more than he did.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

From what I saw Wafer is not good enough. There are times he shows you he got game, but he's not consistent. It's either he shoots open 3s or he drives to the basket. He has no in-between game, he doesn't have a mid-range game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

In Response to Re: I like Wafer:
    From what I saw Wafer is not good enough. There are times he shows you he got game, but he's not consistent. It's either he shoots open 3s or he drives to the basket. He has no in-between game, he doesn't have a mid-range game.  
    Posted by P34

thats why he is a bench player and can do wat he did tonight occasionally.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: I like Wafer : thats why he is a bench player and can do wat he did tonight occasionally.
    Posted by btownteamsrking

True. Unfortunately what Wafer brings to the table is not enough. The Celtics need more from the backup SG/SF position. When West and Daniels were playing Wafer didn't even get to play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Trial by fire for Von.  Kobe tonite and James is next.  If he wants to be a backup SF, he better bring some good game Sunday. 
    I think for the two games (Miami and New Jersey) before the break, Doc should give him more minutes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

he had some good plays tonight and some bad calls (the announcers said it looked like a clean block, but we all know how they are "wrong") go against him. i like that he was aggresive and going to the hoop.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Wafer>Nate

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Courtney Lee would really help the Celtics.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

what do you mean hes not good enough? if they give him some oppurtunity we can see wat this guy can really bring, i think with more pt hes gunna show us hes more than capable of playing some good minutes for us. not as a 3 though, thats not his position.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Posted by P34

welp, he had a nice dish down to stonehands perkins for a layup or a dunk tonight. 

in all fairness to wafer, i don't think he's had a consistent role before the last two games all year long.  that can do a lot toward the results a player gives you.  he's certainly not a versatility machine, but could he be an offensive boost for the bench?  Yeah, he could be.  He hasn't proved that he can't be yet.

But at 6-4 I'm not sure he can guard the 3......  at a skinny 6-6 i'm not sure marquis could do much vs. lebron or the bigger 3's out there either.  no hope of any resistance in a post up game really.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

He is listed at 6-5 and it was clear to me that he was not going to be anything but the 4th option when he was in there.  You have to be looked for in this offense and Ray and Paul are the go to guys. Wafer can and will score if given the ball consistently.  It may have been what they needed last night to get the offense going. They will need to use him more Sunday to have a chance.

This of course does not mean they do not need someone to back Paul up. But right now we are stuck.

Nate being injured muddies up the trade possibilities. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

In all honesty, Wafer is just about the only player on the team who can break down his man and get to the basket.  He has made some good plays on both ends.  The last two games he has driven and dished to Stonehands for a lay up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Wafer is ok. He has a quick first step and good defense but he needs to step up against the big ones. I think he fell into every little fake move kobe did.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Wafer is ok. He has a quick first step and good defense but he needs to step up against the big ones. I think he fell into every little fake move kobe did.
    Posted by cabutan

No fault to Wafer on that most folks fall for his moves.  My thing is with players like kobe you have to keep him out of the lane and contest his shots, not try to block them.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Wafer was not given the ball enough in the flow of the offense. Rondo looked for him last(excluding Perkins). They needed a spark last night and if Wafer got a couple of threes going it would have opened everything up. Instead they forced the ball to Pierce and that never works when Paul is being doubled and tripled.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I compare Wafer to a guy like Conner Henry (for us long time C's fan). He will show you flashed of something that makes you say "he should be playing more". Then he'll do something else and you'll say "what the heck was he thinking!"

Wafer is not the type of player we need to fill the void of a backup SF. I like him but it's asking too much of him.I like his effort though. In actuality I'm starting to think he can take Nate's spot when/if Nate is traded. I could live with a West/Wafer backcourt. Backup SF?? No way!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Wafer was not given the ball enough in the flow of the offense. Rondo looked for him last(excluding Perkins). They needed a spark last night and if Wafer got a couple of threes going it would have opened everything up. Instead they forced the ball to Pierce and that never works when Paul is being doubled and tripled.
    Posted by concord27

Wafer was 1-4 from 3pt land last night against the Lakers. Efficiency has never been Von Wafer's strength, he only has a 41% FG% and a 32% 3pt FG%. 

If what Ainge said is true, that he will not be making any moves before the All-Star break, then Von Wafer has 2 more games to prove himself.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I repeat I am not saying stop trying to make a trade our troubles are over Von Wafer is here.

I do think P34 your quoting stats on Von Wafer are irrelevant based on the way he is being used. The guy gets in there usually and never is the even second or third option.  He has to find a way to get in the flow of the offense which just has not been there.

He may not respond to the challenge of the next two games because I believe he never gets the shots that would let him explode offensively.  You may also be right that he will never cut it with the Celtics. Still he is a talent and maybe you will see him down the road be a player for someone else.

Bias, Nate with his injury am I right in assuming is under a cloud trade wise until we know the details of his knee injury?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

I repeat I am not saying stop trying to make a trade our troubles are over Von Wafer is here. I do think P34 your quoting stats on Von Wafer are irrelevant based on the way he is being used. The guy gets in there usually and never is the even second or third option.  He has to find a way to get in the flow of the offense which just has not been there. He may not respond to the challenge of the next two games because I believe he never gets the shots that would let him explode offensively.  You may also be right that he will never cut it with the Celtics. Still he is a talent and maybe you will see him down the road be a player for someone else. Bias, Nate with his injury am I right in assuming is under a cloud trade wise until we know the details of his knee injury?
    Posted by concord27

I'm not talking about Wafer's stats with the Celtics. Wafer only has a 41% FG% and a 32% 3pt FG% for his career. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Well still I don't think you can extrapolate the guy is not a good offensive player. He is. Obviously DA thought he had some game.

This team if healthy should be fine. If not as you say let's bring some guys in who can help if we can make it happen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I compare Wafer to a guy like Conner Henry (for us long time C's fan). He will show you flashed of something that makes you say "he should be playing more". Then he'll do something else and you'll say "what the heck was he thinking!" Wafer is not the type of player we need to fill the void of a backup SF. I like him but it's asking too much of him.I like his effort though. In actuality I'm starting to think he can take Nate's spot when/if Nate is traded. I could live with a West/Wafer backcourt. Backup SF?? No way!
    Posted by BiasLewis

I agree Bias. I think Von is strictly a 2 guard.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Well still I don't think you can extrapolate the guy is not a good offensive player. He is. Obviously DA thought he had some game. This team if healthy should be fine. If not as you say let's bring some guys in who can help if we can make it happen.
    Posted by concord27

Wafer will have 2 more games to show us all what he can do. Hopefully against the Heat he will do well. The Celtics really need to beat the Heat so that the Celtics will remain the #1 seed in the east.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

Doc can't let go of his control mode and let Wafer loose. Guy can create his own shot and open things up for the offense, always a good thing--especially from a bench guy.

Play him!

Sections
Shortcuts