I love Doc

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I love Doc

I love Doc but hearing him last night talking about the Celtics as a still elite team bothered me. Yes he qualified it by saying we are not playing like it.  

This team however is depending on JON for key minutes.  This guy more than anything embodies the futility of this year's team.

Has a superstar like Pierce who for some reason does not even resemble the player he was eight months ago.

KG who looks like the worst nightmare of no lift and no aggressiveness after only nine games.

Uses players like JON, Bradley, and rarely any new players off the bench.

Tonight we play one of the best teams in the league.  When will Doc start to tell how he really sees it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: I love Doc

concord27, that bothered me too.  I agree with Doc that it's not time to jump off the ship but for him to suggest this is an elite team is ludicrous.  The parts that MADE this an elite team in the past are no longer parts that can deliver that level of performance required to put us in that elite category now.

On Hoopshype.com, Danny gave a more realistic analysis of the team.  He admitted that the Celtics looking "old" at this point HAS BASIS.  He can see that the players are not performing and took it even further by suggesting that if they are not going to perform, he will look to move them.  He admitted that major changes would be made if the team continued to peform at this level.

I am beginning to think this team is old and the Big 3 is done (specifically Pierce and KG).  We "hope" Pierce's excuse is that he's just not in shape and KG just doesn't have an excuse.  Ray just keeps playing but even he has bad nights.  I cannot see us sustaining things for the duration of the season.

I will stick by them and root for them but my expectations for this team have lessened.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

DA and Doc are playing "good cop... bad cop" in assessing this year's play and trying to motivate. Choreography thru and thru.

As always, Doc is the good cop, a role fitting in perfectly with his natural inclinations to be seen as the good guy... a player's coach. In reality he isn't nearly that blind/deaf/dumb/stoopid....

While gunslinger DA is poised/ready to make the deal to blow things up if the players dont respond to Doc.

Advantage DA! Go for it. You're feeling plenty of heat too.

Pud 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Agree. Looks like they are in denial. Although I think that Pierce's issues are conditioning-related and not age-related. At least, I hope so.
    But elite? With our center(s)? No way.
    Shudder to think how we'll be playing late in the season with this stupid schedule. Any chance JON will still be walking by that time?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Pud,
    You are correct in you assessment. The only that really works against this is the old adage of selling high and buying low is unfortunately upside down.  We are selling at a point when the value of Pierce and Garnett could not be lower.

In fact they are probably on another team that plays them 20 to 25 minutes much more valuable than presently showcased on this walking dead of a team.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

I'll ride and die for with my Cs....but their a dead horse and hoop season will be will be quite long for me this year. Thanks Danny.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Fierce,
    I think we may not even make the playoffs.  Which is sad and humiliating for the Big three?

I have wondered what you think of what is going on with Pierce.  He is the mystery to me.  Garnett looking without lift and fatigue is not surprising at all.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: I love Doc:
    [QUOTE]Pud, You are correct in you assessment. The only that really works against this is the old adage of selling high and buying low is unfortunately upside down.  We are selling at a point when the value of Pierce and Garnett could not be lower. In fact they are probably on another team that plays them 20 to 25 minutes much more valuable than presently showcased on this walking dead of a team.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

What works for us is the notion that another team missing that one extra piece that puts them over the top will give us more than they should given "market conditions" in terms of perhaps untested young talent that DA didn't have the sense to draft but could potentially develop.

One has the feeling that the team knows that their time has passed, certainly the elders do. The efforts to deal Rondo that came up very short. DWest going to Indy. How utterly depressing. JGreen getting sick.

I bet CP3 is thrilled to be playing for the Clips on a legit contender as opposed to being in Beantown with the current cast of characters. Although he would have provided a spark... well maybe more like a defibrillator jolt... but why not go where its warm/sunny/fun to play with BlakeG & Co.

Can't blame him at all.

DA has very little wiggle room and has to know that the end is near... if not already passed. He will deal things away piece by piece and that will hurt like hell... like a root canal w/o novocaine. 

But he has no other options at this point.

Pud

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Pud,
    I hope you are right that he deals them and gets something in return. My fear has been he will hold them all to the end of their contracts.

Pierce seems untouchable at three more years at fifteen million per year.

His poor play has shocked me, which has really magnified how bad we have looked.  And it seems this is how we are going to look from this point on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

"LET ME BE CLEAR",  DANNY BOY NEEDS TO "TRANSFORM" THAT TEAM & DOC NEEDS TO PLAY THE "YOUNG LEGS" !!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chief16OZ. Show Chief16OZ's posts

The Celtic's uninspiring beginning to 2012 certainly has done little to dissuade the NBA's naysayers.  However, I'll be the first to admit I gave them NO CHANCE in the 2010 playoffs, instead they finished a few rebounds-whistles away from title 18.

As bad as their record indicates, I refuse to believe they have declined to a sub 500 team over night.  The bench is still not fantastic, however Bass and Pietrus are BIG upgrades in my opinion (I wish they could have kept West!). The jury is still out on Wilcox but that seems to be DA's brainfart of the offseason.  The need for a big was (and is!) obvious but our ONLY midlevel mini exception blown on an unproven bench warmer? Someone with DA's knowledge-savy has to do better than that.

Regarding their play, yes, they've yet to beat ANYONE even faintly resembling a good team. On the other hand they've all been dignified losses.  We were definitely within grasp against the Heat and Mavericks and the Pacers too for that matter.  They need to play more consistently. Digging these huge first half defecuts is just not the blueprint for success, especially without the high-flying athleticism that can get a team back in a game in a heart beat.

Regarding specific players, Bass looks good, and so does Ray. KG without hops is hard to watch but I dont see a big change between last year and this year and his numbers have still been decent (even rebounding).  And although everyone continues to bash JO, I thought he had a great game against the Pacers: took a couple charges, swatted a couple shots, and his jumper is pretty consistent.  As for Rondo, I think he's made good strides forward this year. Sure the two missed free throws against the Pacers were infuriating, but on the whole, his jumper looks much better.  My only knock on him is how he wastes last possessions by winding the clock down to nothing in isolations that he can't complete. Pierce, is a total mystery but there's just no way he's °lost it° over the course of the summer. He'll bounce back.

The GLARING problem, and plenty of posters have (Fierce in particular) already spelled this out for us in exhaustive detail, is rebounding, without a doubt this roster's biggest weakness. I don't know how that is solved without player changes and we had the SAME problem last year once hackyShaq went down.  If it can be corrected, the Celtics can go deep into the playoffs.  If not, they may not even make the playoffs, and that's not easy to swallow.  

In the meantime, let us not get too wound up in the wins and losses and just hope they at least remain competitive as we enjoy the farewell tour of the big 3 II era.

Go Green!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Chief,
    You make some excellent points.  I think we have to look at this end of the big three with some appreciation, but we won't find a rebounder because we have no one to deal for one.  Wilcox as you say was a terrible choice and the season just may not get better for a long while.  I hope you are right and the naysayers of which I am one will be wrong.

Tonight will be a tough night for a turnaround.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Yes, Anthony Davis is the guy to get if we're in that position.

I think this team is still in training camp mode. The C's are a team that needs all pieces to be functioning properly as a unit. If one piece isn't it puts pressure on another part of the team. The problem is when that happens Doc doesn't adjust (it's like your car needs an oil change (play the youngins) and Doc conitnues to drive the car without getting an oil change...keep in mind this car has over 150K miles on it. Poor performance, drinking gas, etc)

Doc change the oil!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Fierce, I think we may not even make the playoffs.  Which is sad and humiliating for the Big three? I have wondered what you think of what is going on with Pierce.  He is the mystery to me.  Garnett looking without lift and fatigue is not surprising at all.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Agree with you that it will be a shame if they don't make the playoffs, but it wouldn't surprise me.  Not sure what is wrong with Pierce, but as many have posted,  it might just be his conditioning.  We have to hope that we see some improvement from Pierce in the next few games. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4420007. Show user_4420007's posts

At least if Doc fails to get this team to the playoffs he can always fall back on:

"This starting 5 has never lost a series!"

Ugh!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

REBOUND REBOUND REBOUND! Until they rebound they will continue to be a .500 team and will lose in the playoffs. Not rebounding leades to second and third chance points that kill your momentum. Until this team learns to rebound this will be a recuring theme.

Ranked 26th in the league for deffensive rebounds and 29th in the league in offensive rebounds. 29th overall in rebounding!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from srinivasa. Show srinivasa's posts

It'd be foolish to make major changes this season, that is trading one or more of the big 4. The only one that has value is Rondo and we should keep him for the rebuilding next year. Nothing Danny does now will make us a legit contender, so why not sit out the ride and wait for the cap space? If we make the playoffs, the team has gelled, we sustain no injuries and added with a good dose of luck anything can happen. If we don't make the playoffs we'll have a good pick.
    Patience, good things are coming.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from docomospur. Show docomospur's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I love Doc : June is only 5 months away.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]
    Thank god for that.