I really,really,really,really,really hope Smart & Young are better than the guys we oassed on.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: I really,really,really,really,really hope Smart & Young are better than the guys we oassed on.

Also, Russ Smith is absolute garb and belongs on the AND1 team.

If he ever wears Celtic green, I'd puuke

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: I really,really,really,really,really hope Smart & Young are better than the guys we oassed on.

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is unfortunate we didn't get Embiid...had no chance really !  Our biggest need and it has been for a few years has been being near the bottom of the league in rebounding. When you shoot 50%, no problem but if you shoot only 35-45% but get 10 more rebounds, those 2nd chances makes you competitive with better shooting teams. Old wound...sorry...game 7 Lakers Kobe shot 25%, 6 for 24, and team only 39% I think but it was Gasol & Bynum who killed us on the boards. Yup, I know, had we not lost Perk in Game 6 and egregious foul shot difference of 41 to 18 and 21 just in 4th qtr, we'd won.  Our old friend Ray Allen couldn't buy a basket and all we needed was one or 2 when we had a 3-4 pt lead.

[/QUOTE]

Ouch, you had to write that.. and I had to read that.... My heart hurts..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Two words:

Athleticism and Defense.

Without either or both, BUST is a real possibility for any NBA wannabe. Mcdermott is high risk.  

[/QUOTE]  NBA draft.net gave mcdermott and Smart a 7 in athleticism.  I wouldn't be surprised if Mcdermott is rookie of the year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to myurkus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

90% of the summer league players will be back to selling cars or whatever is they will be doing longterm for a living.  Summer doesn't mean anything.

[/QUOTE]  Yet Smart shot 29% against them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to cabutan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No kidding!! I really like Smart but oh boy Mcdermott just torched Den.. However, the highlights show that mcdermott is a bad defender..and only 1 rebound? really?  

[/QUOTE]

Not just the highlights, the numbers show it too.

According to Kevin Pelton, DMD's career steals and blocks in his 4 years at Creighton are less than 155 NCAA players in their 2013-14 seasons.

Thibs will have to hide this guy on D.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

[/QUOTE]

+1

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

90% of the summer league players will be back to selling cars or whatever is they will be doing longterm for a living.  Summer doesn't mean anything.

[/QUOTE]

I know right? I had people telling me that the fact that Smart shot 29 percent from three in college meant he was a good shooter.

I love the Celtics…but sometimes the cheerleading around here is bizzare.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Agreed , kind of, summer leagues are just scrimmages, but you can get a better feel about a player. Smart looked better every game and you can teach someone to shoot better. These guys aren't starters but they are a step up from good college team and players are playing with players in the pro talent level even if not in the NBA so they do give you a better look at their general abilities and weaknesses against better competition.

How can anyone say anything about Young ? The last I saw him play he was carrying KU on his back down the stretch in the NCAA championship game. To get hyped up about a player(s) after watching a couple of summer league games is kinda silly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Wow, I'm sure glad we passed up on that injury-prone cleanthony early.  the guy just can't stay healthy!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agreed , kind of, summer leagues are just scrimmages, but you can get a better feel about a player. Smart looked better every game and you can teach someone to shoot better. These guys aren't starters but they are a step up from good college team and players are playing with players in the pro talent level even if not in the NBA so they do give you a better look at their general abilities and weaknesses against better competition.

How can anyone say anything about Young ? The last I saw him play he was carrying KU on his back down the stretch in the NCAA championship game. To get hyped up about a player(s) after watching a couple of summer league games is kinda silly.

[/QUOTE]

I said this a bunch of times before. Most of us had an opinion about a player BEFORE the summer league, and then just used the summer league to give more evidence of whether our opinions were correct. it wasn't just the summer league.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Louisio. Show Louisio's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Namely taking Vonleh or McDermott at #6 and taking Cleanthony Early or Russ Smith at 17.

Shooting translates more than any other skill at all levels of bball. Wether or not you can get shots off or are willing to shoot them is the only thing to question about rookie shooters.

We could really use Seth Curry and Patric Young. Lets not be Johnny come-latelies!

[/QUOTE]

Randle's the one I fear may come back to haunt us. But I like what I see so far from Smart. His FG shooting doesn't bother me much -- my sense is that's more amenable to improvement over the long term that FT shooting, which in Smart's case looks pretty respectable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to Louisio's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Namely taking Vonleh or McDermott at #6 and taking Cleanthony Early or Russ Smith at 17.

Shooting translates more than any other skill at all levels of bball. Wether or not you can get shots off or are willing to shoot them is the only thing to question about rookie shooters.

We could really use Seth Curry and Patric Young. Lets not be Johnny come-latelies!

[/QUOTE]

Randle's the one I fear may come back to haunt us. But I like what I see so far from Smart. His FG shooting doesn't bother me much -- my sense is that's more amenable to improvement over the long term that FT shooting, which in Smart's case looks pretty respectable.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

How so?

Randle is a good player, and will be a good pro.  He is not a C, and we are kind of overstocked at PF.  He cannot come back to haunt us because he was never in the conversation.

Adams or Hood over Young?  Yes, or Vonleh over Smart, but not Randle.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

Too funny. No one has played a single minute of meaningful basketball and you're already looking at the draft in hindsight. Patience fellas. Go Celtics!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to wonderdrums' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Too funny. No one has played a single minute of meaningful basketball and you're already looking at the draft in hindsight. Patience fellas. Go Celtics!

[/QUOTE]

It's called talking basketball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Louisio's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

How so?

Randle is a good player, and will be a good pro.  He is not a C, and we are kind of overstocked at PF.  He cannot come back to haunt us because he was never in the conversation.

Adams or Hood over Young?  Yes, or Vonleh over Smart, but not Randle.

[/QUOTE]

Vonleh looks short against some of the taller players. He looks shorter than Sully. Unless he grows a few inches I don't see him being a center.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

I have read that Vonleh is still growing plus he has a wingspan of something like 10'! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kyceltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I know right? I had people telling me that the fact that Smart shot 29 percent from three in college meant he was a good shooter.

I love the Celtics…but sometimes the cheerleading around here is bizzare.

[/QUOTE] That's putting it mildly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

I wouldn't be surprised if McDer and Gary Harris end up having better rookie seasons than Smart and Young.

But Smaht and Young have more potential.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya ! Gary Harris was right there and they took James Young , but I guess Brad Stevens knows more about who's better between Young and Harris since he recruited (tried to) both of them for Butler.....I think the Smart pick was the right one, we already have Olynyk and Sullinger and I think both of them will have much better careers than Doug McDermott.....

It is an absolute mystery why Patric Young has not been snatched up by the Celtics, maybe they have bad personal info on him ? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Mind-boggling PHX! Mind-boggling! Or Seth Curry. Rebounding and outside shooting percentage is a problem for us.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

I would have really liked to see Smart against Exum and Young against Hood in Vegas

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

[QUOTE]

I would have really liked to see Smart against Exum and Young against Hood in Vegas

[/QUOTE]

Smart-Exum already happened. For your viewing pleasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TncQcm7gmxk

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to BiggerThanMyBrady's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Smart-Exum already happened. For your viewing pleasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TncQcm7gmxk" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TncQcm7gmxk

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Thanks for the video - Smart was all over him!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

They may develop into players, but they are not even close to McBuckets and others we passed on, great we are tanking again,,

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

In response to romneywins' comment:
    [QUOTE]

They may develop into players, but they are not even close to McBuckets and others we passed on, great we are tanking again,,

[/QUOTE]

And what makes you think McDermott would prevent tanking? I think regardless, with the current roster +/- McBuckets would not make the Celtics a playoff team, never mind a contender. Both Smart and Young have way more upside. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What I have seen from Exum so far reads PROJECT all over.

Sections
Shortcuts