I see a battle between the Knicks and Celtics for 2nd place in the Atlantic..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from franquazi. Show franquazi's posts

I see a battle between the Knicks and Celtics for 2nd place in the Atlantic..

Why? Because the Knicks failed to improve in this past offseason..You can tell celtics are gonna be far worse than last year but I'm going to be very optimistic..oh yeah!! The knicks brought Andrei Bargnani from Toronto and Metta World Peace from the lakers..Did somebody is excited?? The Bargnani trade doesn't made the knicks better because this guy to be effective needs the ball on his hand clashing with Carmelo right from the start. Also Bargnani is not a defensive player. The knicks look a very slow team on paper. The Metta World signing could be productive or really painfully. They already got Kmart for the dirty game. It seems that knicks management needs some changes in order to obtain team success. On the other hand celtics are young and exciting!! We have four starters coming back: Rondo, Bradley, Green and Sullinger. Olynyk will be running for the rookie of the year and Coach Stevens will surprise a lot of people around the league. Our bench is solid with Wallace, Bass, Humphries, Faverani, Brooks and Lee. Rookie Pressey will fit right away too.

Felton- is on his prime / Rondo- on his prime

Shumpert- still needs to prove that can score consistanly / Bradley- same that Shumpert

Anthony- is on his prime / Green- on his prime

Bargnani- best years are in the past. / Olynyk- a lot of potential!!

Chandler- still productive when is around good players / Sullinger- is gonna be a solid player if healthy.

Stoudamire- is on his way down / Faverani- good offensive game. Could jump to the starting lineup.

Martin-is on his way down / Bass- young and prove veteran, nice jumper. 

Metta - is on his way down / Wallace- still young at 31. Brings energy, defense, and leadership

Smith- on his prime but problematic / Brooks- can score in this league and is young.

Prigioni- is on his way down / Preesey- a natural point guard with good passing skills.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from franquazi. Show franquazi's posts

Re: I see a battle between the Knicks and Celtics for 2nd place in the Atlantic..

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Sure, player for player, the Knicks are not that much better than the Celtics when it comes to talent.

But what the Knicks have the Celtics don't have is experience.

Players that will be carrying the Celtics this season will be Green, Sully, Bradley, Oly, and other young players.

Besides, it takes time for the Celtic players to adjust to Brad Stevens' system.

And we're not sure when Rondo will play.

Maybe in a video game, like 2K13, there's not much difference between the Celts and Knicks for the 2013-14 season. But in real life, the Knicks are a legit playoff team while the Celts are a lottery team.

So you don't think Rondo, Green, Bass, Humphries, Wallace, Lee, Bogans doesn't have experience? Those are 7 players could easily can be on our rotation next season.. Also experience is overrated in today's NBA..Did you saw Golden State last year?? Then you add the potential of Sullinger, Olynyk, Faverani, Bradley and Brooks. You need to understand that now Rondo's game will rise because he will play freely without Pierce and KG halfcourt game limitaton style. We will press, run and play a collective game, We now are a far better rebounding team. We still need to improve our interior defense and 3pt shooting. Maybe Faverani and Melo emerge at center and Courtney Lee finds himself again or could be Brooks or both. We have potential and the Knicks stinks!! What they acomplish last year was beating and old team without his all star point guard and that's it!! The Atlantic is too weak!! Also why are you asumming Rondo isn't playing? I make my predictions with him playing and playing his best basketball..The Italian Stallion isn't going to bring a championship to NY!! Go CELTICS!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: I see a battle between the Knicks and Celtics for 2nd place in the Atlantic..

I don't think the Knicks got better.  I think these Celtics are going to surprise us all.  We have proven players good at everything except TEAM DEFENSE.

We have at least 7 players who can average double figures in scoring (Rondo, Olynyk, Bass, Brooks, Humphries, Wallace and Green) with Green being the high scorer.  We will have rebounding (Sully, Olynyk, Humphries).

I question our team defense although we can put guys like Rondo, AB, Lee, Bass, Bogans and Wallace on the court and those guys are very good perimeter defenders.  If someone can step up and be that defensive voice, we could be solid defensive team.  If one big became 60% of KG in the post defensively, we'll be okay.

I just don't think this season is going to be as bad as everyone thinks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

if for no other reason than bargnani is the kiss of death for any team that touches him, i would agree that the knicks will stink in the east.  melo will go barn sour and am'a'r'''e will be injured 60 of 82 games and be largely ineffective the rest of the way and a goose egg in any playoff action.

can we be better than 30 wins?  i say yes.  as long as rondo either changes his previous miserable tempo murdering ways or we trade rondo away.  that would set jeff green free to do some of the nice things we saw last year when rondo mercifully took a break from the game.  like i've said all along, all we need is a routine point guard in return- no all star, all league PG who has too much ego and too little  tendency to do what's best for the team, but just solid skills.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

30 to 35 win would be nice.We would be in the lottery.But I am afraid this team could win more than 35 and spoil the whole thing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

I don't think the Knicks got better.  I think these Celtics are going to surprise us all.  We have proven players good at everything except TEAM DEFENSE.

We have at least 7 players who can average double figures in scoring (Rondo, Olynyk, Bass, Brooks, Humphries, Wallace and Green) with Green being the high scorer.  We will have rebounding (Sully, Olynyk, Humphries).

I question our team defense although we can put guys like Rondo, AB, Lee, Bass, Bogans and Wallace on the court and those guys are very good perimeter defenders.  If someone can step up and be that defensive voice, we could be solid defensive team.  If one big became 60% of KG in the post defensively, we'll be okay.

i think you have to put a huge caveat out there that RONDO is a good perimeter only when engaged.  the rest (most) of the time he is EL TORO style defense hunting unwisely for steals.  can danny or this new kid coach change that mental culture of rondo?  i dunno.

but we can't have perimeter defense like that this year, nobody is in the middle to make up for it.  as it was, KG was getting too old to do it the last two years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

franquazi,

I don't think you can compare Celtics and Knicks at this point. Sure, you can predict that Celtics will beat Knicks and get the 2nd place or Phili beat Celtics and get the 3rd place, etc

The Celtics are in a  full rebuild mode, the new coach is tasked to start building a team, the core of the team is not set 100%, the roster, most probably, will go through major changes, we don't know when RR starts playing and how fast he reaches 100%, etc.

BTW, you can't compare 'Mare and Faverani - they play different positions.

IMHO, it doesn't matter what place Celtics get this season, even the next season, as long as they become a contender in 3-4 years. I believe they can do it.

AK

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Anything is posible, but I would bet my house that the Knicks finish the season with a better record than the Celtics... by a long shot.

The Celtics should finish ahead of Philly, but Toronto and the Celtics will be close.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Fierce is right. No three point threat. No end of game offensive threat. No defensive leader. New, unproven coach. New teamates. Lots of uncertainty. Lots of youth, inexperience. No clutch shooter. 

This team won't win more than 30 games. You are brave and insane if you think we will compete with NYK. They are a top 5 team. I think that they got better. Shump is also a rising talent, so don't forget about him. Without Shump, we would have beated NYK last series.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cceltic8. Show cceltic8's posts

Bingo!!! Could not say it any better. This is not a lotto team like all the talking heads are predicting.

Green was coming off of HEART surgery last season and actually look real good at the end of the year.  Can't wait to see him this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from myurkus. Show myurkus's posts

i admire your optimism but you have to be realistic.  we were nowhere near second last year, and we lost our two best players, and our point guard is coming off major surgery.  i dont believe in tanking, and i think it will entertaining to watch the young guys play hard, but accept this fact:  we are going to have a very poor record.  washington, clev, detroit, even charlotte improved while we got worse.  we will be bottom 3 in the east and that is ok, you can't be great every single year.  and you must understand that if they could, the celts would dump humphries, bogans, and wallace for a second round pick and a big mac.  it just doesnt work that way.   so dont value them too highly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

Fierce is right. No three point threat. No end of game offensive threat. No defensive leader. New, unproven coach. New teamates. Lots of uncertainty. Lots of youth, inexperience. No clutch shooter. 

This team won't win more than 30 games. You are brave and insane if you think we will compete with NYK. They are a top 5 team. I think that they got better. Shump is also a rising talent, so don't forget about him. Without Shump, we would have beated NYK last series.

yeah, we have some holes, but i think if jeff green plays like he did once rondo went out last year he is pretty close to a "go to" guy.  i'm sure the ride won't be all peaches and cream but he sure looked good making his own shots in half court sets when given a little bit of ball movement (no holding and pounding the ball so everyone dies) and some half way decent cuts, passes, curls- he was making inside and out pretty nicely. 

as for "defensive leader" i really liked how sullinger was shaping into the type of help defender and defensive troublemaker that glen davis used to be for us. 

you can't say "we have no" this and that when we haven't seen any or even a full year out of some of these guys that are showing / have shown good potential. 

i like how the roster looks, i hope we make some upgrades and fill in some of the holes like 3 point shooting.  we're not going to be world beaters but this isn't going to be the stinko mark blount brigades either

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to franquazi's comment:

Why? Because the Knicks failed to improve in this past offseason..You can tell celtics are gonna be far worse than last year but I'm going to be very optimistic..oh yeah!! The knicks brought Andrei Bargnani from Toronto and Metta World Peace from the lakers..Did somebody is excited?? The Bargnani trade doesn't made the knicks better because this guy to be effective needs the ball on his hand clashing with Carmelo right from the start. Also Bargnani is not a defensive player. The knicks look a very slow team on paper. The Metta World signing could be productive or really painfully. They already got Kmart for the dirty game. It seems that knicks management needs some changes in order to obtain team success. On the other hand celtics are young and exciting!! We have four starters coming back: Rondo, Bradley, Green and Sullinger. Olynyk will be running for the rookie of the year and Coach Stevens will surprise a lot of people around the league. Our bench is solid with Wallace, Bass, Humphries, Faverani, Brooks and Lee. Rookie Pressey will fit right away too.

Felton- is on his prime / Rondo- on his prime

Shumpert- still needs to prove that can score consistanly / Bradley- same that Shumpert

Anthony- is on his prime / Green- on his prime

Bargnani- best years are in the past. / Olynyk- a lot of potential!!

Chandler- still productive when is around good players / Sullinger- is gonna be a solid player if healthy.

Stoudamire- is on his way down / Faverani- good offensive game. Could jump to the starting lineup.

Martin-is on his way down / Bass- young and prove veteran, nice jumper. 

Metta - is on his way down / Wallace- still young at 31. Brings energy, defense, and leadership

Smith- on his prime but problematic / Brooks- can score in this league and is young.

Prigioni- is on his way down / Preesey- a natural point guard with good passing skills.

WHAT ARE YOU SMOKIN" , I'D LIKE TO GET SOME?!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from franquazi. Show franquazi's posts

In response to franquazi's comment:

So you don't think Rondo, Green, Bass, Humphries, Wallace, Lee, Bogans doesn't have experience? Those are 7 players could easily can be on our rotation next season.. Also experience is overrated in today's NBA..Did you saw Golden State last year?? Then you add the potential of Sullinger, Olynyk, Faverani, Bradley and Brooks. You need to understand that now Rondo's game will rise because he will play freely without Pierce and KG halfcourt game limitaton style. We will press, run and play a collective game, We now are a far better rebounding team. We still need to improve our interior defense and 3pt shooting. Maybe Faverani and Melo emerge at center and Courtney Lee finds himself again or could be Brooks or both. We have potential and the Knicks stinks!! What they acomplish last year was beating and old team without his all star point guard and that's it!! The Atlantic is too weak!! Also why are you asumming Rondo isn't playing? I make my predictions with him playing and playing his best basketball..The Italian Stallion isn't going to bring a championship to NY!! Go CELTICS!!

Here's the thing, the Celts' goal is develop players, not win as many games as possible.

Rondo will not be 100% when the season starts.

So Rondo will most likely not play in November and maybe even December.

Lee, Bogans, Bass, Humpy, and Bass are all role players.

Role players will not make you win 50 games.

The Knicks are a 50-win team, the Celts are not.

Jeff Green is the only scorer on the team.

But can Jeff Green produce 18-20 points per game on a consistent basis?

We'll find out this season.

Again, if we're just going to base it on paper, player for player, the Celts are nearly as talented as the Knicks. But that's not how it goes in the NBA.

If we're going to your logic then the Lakers would have easily won 60 games last season.

At the very least, the Knicks are going to win 10-20 more games than the Celtics next season.

The more realistic battle is for 3rd between the Raptors and the Celtics.

Fierce let me explain you why I think celts have a chance to battle for 2nd in the atlantic with the knicks..To be honest to you and all here I'm sure this celtics team is a lot better than last year squad. Ohh yeahh!! I'm not crazy here are the facts. We aren't old anymore so that means that we aren't going to faint and die in the 4th quarter like last year team. We have 1st class defense from 1 to 3 with Rondo, Bradley and Green. We can add Sullinger to that list too. Olynyk is so talented..He doesn't need to block shots to be effective in the paint on defense and we saw that at the summer league. So this team will run and gun 48 minutes. Also Fierce you talk like if the celtics players aren't going to get better from year to year basis. YOUNG PLAYERS IMPROVE EACH YEAR MORON!! Stop the negative talk. Avery Bradley learn a lot from last year playoff series against the knicks and he will be a better player this year. So Rondo, Green, Sullinger, Brooks, Lee, Bass, Crawford and also our rookies are high IQ and wil open a lot  of eyes in the league. On the other hand the knicks doesn't get any better with the additions of Bargnani and World Peace. Those two are discarded players who doesn't play any defense anymore and their best years are in the past. If you add Amare, Prigioni, Kmart to that list then you have a mediocre team. The knicks won a lot of games last year but that was because eastern conference teams were bad too. I say they will struggle against the Cavs, Pistons, Bucks, Hawks, Magic, Nets, Bulls, Pacers, Heat, Celts and I don't even started to mention west teams. You can tell that the celtics are gonna struggle even more but I desagree because those teams will want to beat the Knicks a lot more than beating the celtics just because the Knicks represent a former contender and teams want to beat the best. That's my hypotesis. Celts are gonna be the under dogs and will surprise and play hard. Even the Heat WILL HAVE PROBLEMS CONTAINING THE CELTICS!!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

Petey - two issues with the Cs this season: 1) no consistent 3-point shooters 2) no dominant offensive player to command double teams / defensive adjustments! 

Opposing teams will simply pack the paint! The Cs will be easy to defend this year! 

Rondo factor will be needed - unfortunately he likely will not be 100% until mid-season at the earliest! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from franquazi. Show franquazi's posts

franquazi

We can go at this the whole day.

My prediction is the Celts will win 26 games.

What's your prediction?

Sorry for the moron thing I was going to change it. Ok I say best case 44 wins and worst case 36 wins but that's counting that Rondo will be healthy and playing right from the start as well Sullinger and the others.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

The C's do have the talent to compete with NYK but Boston's opportunity at obtaining a franchise changing player in next year's draft is too great and the entire world totally expects the Celtics to struggle. The Celtics are being underestimated again but this time why not go along with it? Why not hold Rondo and Sullinger back and say that they need more time to recover, why not continue saying that Olynyk is having foot problems, say that Phil Pressey just isn't ready to lead a team (play Bradley at the point he stinks!), heck why not even say that Jeff Green's heart is acting up again. Give those guys a year off and come back a whole lot stronger next year. You don't get many opportunities like this. To go through a "rebuilding" year just in time for one of the deepest drafts in memory when you've got 2 first round picks. Tanking is a no-brainer.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

If the Celts don't end up with the #1 pick?

There are others like Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, Marcus Smart, Dante Exum, and Aaron Gordon.

If the Celts end up with one of those players, it will be an upgrade compared to the Celtics just getting the #14 or #15 pick.

44 wins means playoffs.

Not happening!

Bingo!! 

Sections
Shortcuts