I think Doc is a control freak and makes it work some how...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

I think Doc is a control freak and makes it work some how...

I think we can see from Kristic example that Doc puts a lot of pressure on his players to play like robots.

Why? Because turnovers can lose games and players sometimes make bad decisions and Doc tries to eliminate that factor. (impossible goal)

He makes it work in that the player gets used to so much pressure from Doc that the pressure of a game situation is not something unfamiliar and thus the player is more at ease in a high pressure situation because he is accustomed to it at practice.

If he isn't the type of player that can handle high pressure, then he is not the kind you want on the team.

I still wish he would let players make their mistakes thoughout the regular season because on the job is the best experience. He did do that with Jeff Green in the playoffs, to his credit.

But I mean, Bradley and Wafer could'nt play more? Really? Doc is still the best coach in the league, but I think he could still improve some things.

But what do I know.

P.S.- Players I like I don't recognize once they come here. Why is that?
    Or players we had look better when they leave?

(Except Gerald Green and Ricky Davis)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

Re: I think Doc is a control freak and makes it work some how...

Generally speaking, if you can play for Doc you can play the game the right way. Half of the coaches in the league let their guys go out and play undisciplined helter skelter basketball. Other than Jackson, Pop, Carlisle, and Adelman, I don't really think there are that many coaches who hold their players accountable to the play calling like doc does.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

In Response to I think Doc is a control freak and makes it work some how...:
    [QUOTE]I think we can see from Kristic example that Doc puts a lot of pressure on his players to play like robots. Why? Because turnovers can lose games and players sometimes make bad decisions and Doc tries to eliminate that factor. (impossible goal) He makes it work in that the player gets used to so much pressure from Doc that the pressure of a game situation is not something unfamiliar and thus the player is more at ease in a high pressure situation because he is accustomed to it at practice. If he isn't the type of player that can handle high pressure, then he is not the kind you want on the team. I still wish he would let players make their mistakes thoughout the regular season because on the job is the best experience. He did do that with Jeff Green in the playoffs, to his credit. But I mean, Bradley and Wafer could'nt play more? Really? Doc is still the best coach in the league, but I think he could still improve some things. But what do I know. P.S.- Players I like I don't recognize once they come here. Why is that? Or players we had look better when they leave? (Except Gerald Green and Ricky Davis)
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]

That is really the ONE concern I have about Doc and the Celtics' ability to develop young players.  Especially the 2nd clause about former Celtics looking better with other teams.  It doesn't happen all the time, or even the majority of the time, but when it does it hurts.  Tony Allen is the prime example.  I liked him during his time here but based on what he gave US I wasn't entirely crushed to see him walk.  But I saw him over the past 2 months with Memphis - including our loss to them - and was absolutely floored, almost like he was a totally different player.  On the other side of the coin is Jeff Green.  He was like the 2nd or 3rd leading scorer in OKC - obviously a very good team - and now so many Celtics fans want to give up on him.  If we do - which I doubt - he'd surely come back to haunt us, a la Tony Allen.  Hopefully this is a current hot topic of discussion among Doc, Danny and the rest of staff...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Ms. Lithium, I see your point of view but can't agree.   I think Doc is actually an "adaptive" coach.  he adapts to the goal at hand.  In situations where the C's had no chance of winning, Doc spent time developing players.  Case in point:  In 2004, the C's were made up of Antoine Walker, Paul Pierce, Ricky Davis, Gary Payton, Raef Lafrenz, Mark Blount, Al Jefferson, Tony Allen, Delonte West, Marcus Banks, Walter McCarty, Perkins.   That team wasn't going to challenge for a championship, but they were respectible.  Pierce, Walker, Davis, and Payton got most of the minutes.  But, Jefferson, Tony Allen, Banks, and West all developed under Doc's leadership.  They all developed a name for themselves and Danny was able to use their "potential" to trade for the big 3 + draft picks.  That's because Doc put them on the floor and developed them.

The next year, Delonte averaged 34 mins/game; Jefferson 18 min/game; Banks 15 min/game; Perkins 20 mins/game; Ryan Gomes 22.7 min/game; Gerald Green 12 mins/game; Orien Green 11.7 min/game, and Olowokandi 10 min/game.  That was with Pierce, Ricky Davis, Wall Szczerbiak, Raef, and Blount on the team.  He spent the time to develop the young players (many of whom went on to do well in the league).   Who developed Banks, Perkins, Gomes, Rondo, Green, Delonte, Baby Davis, and Al Jefferson?   yes - it was Doc!   Why he never gets credit was taking all these young players in 04 and 05 and in 2 to 3 years, they were all valued players around the league and Danny parlayed that into the Big 4.   Pierce was the only one who Danny nor Doc can take credit for getting them here.

Everyone wants to forget that Doc developed young players because he played the starters so much this year.  He didn't develop Bradley because the kid was 19 and not ready for the NBA.  He didn't play West because he was injured.  Semih was injured.   But, he played BBD a LOT.  So, tell me where its proof that Doc doesn't play young players. 

Its more fair to say that Doc does not play players who don't play within the system.  he is clearly a defensive and "team" guy.  If you don't do that, you sit until you learn it.  That's a fair criticism.  But, developing young players is something Doc actually has a history of doing.  Remember in 1999/2000, Doc was Coach of the year because he took a team within one game of the players made of Amaechi, ben Wallace, bo Outlaw, Ron Mercer, Darrell Armstrong, michel Doleac, Pat Garrity, Monty Williams, Corey Maggette, Chucky Atkins, and Chauncey Billups.  You think maybe he developed a few of those players in their early days?

Please don't mistake Doc's hard push for home Court Advantage this year for not developing young players.  So many of ours were hurt or didn't know the system that they didn't help and Doc KNEW HCA was important this year (and he was proven right in the end, unfortunately).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Great post, and points very well taken... and even I realized after my post that minutes have a lot to do with a player's development and that, for example, Tony Allen could only get so many of those playing behind Ray Allen and Paul Pierce.  And sometimes one team is just simply a better fit for a player than another, and vice versa.  Let's just hope that all Green and Krstic need is to learn the Celtics system over the summer and in training camp.  I think that will be the case.  And of course West as you said IS a product of Doc's ability to develop young players and he doesn't normally get injured 4 times a season.  I hope we bring him back without hesitation because he clearly knows our system through and through.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love Doc as a coach, OUR coach. 

I'm just frustrated and searching for answers....

But everything you said is absolutely true.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Yes, frustrating season, wasn't it.  They started out on fire and stayed that way until just before the all star break.  They had the talent.

I just chalk it up to injuries (especially the bench) and the effect of the injuries (trades we then had to do).  I'm not saying the trade itself was bad, but that the EFFECT of the trade hurt the team and along with the injuries and age, we just couldn't hold on to that top level of play.

Sections
Shortcuts