I think the Lakers 5 minnesota Titles should have an asterisk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Re: I think the Lakers 5 minnesota Titles should have an asterisk

what do facts have to do with this discussion..?  ....we have been citing facts for two years now....Laker supporters keep coming back with varied opinions.....they don't seem to let the facts get in their way in this one.....what's the point of continuing...?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

In Response to Re: I think the Lakers 5 minnesota Titles should have an asterisk:
    what do facts have to do with this discussion..?  ....we have been citing facts for two years now....Laker supporters keep coming back with varied opinions.....they don't seem to let the facts get in their way in this one.....what's the point of continuing...?
    Posted by Duke4

Duke

He made a inaccurate statement  i just corrected him thats all

I would not want him to lose his credibility here

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

To all

As you can see from below link, the 76ers franchise is credited with 3 champioships, one of which was gained in 1955 when they were the Syracuse Nationals. It appears that the determing factor is based strictly on continuous franchise history and has nothing to do with names.

The Philadelphia 76ers (often referred to as the Sixers) are a professional basketball team based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. They play in the Atlantic Division of the Eastern Conference of the National Basketball Association (NBA). Originally known as the Syracuse Nationals, they are one of the oldest franchises in the NBA. After their move to Philadelphia, a contest was held to decide on their new name. The winning name, chosen by Walter Stalberg, was the "76ers", as a "tribute to the gallant men who forged this country's independence."[2]

The 76ers have had a rich history, with many of the greatest players in NBA history having played for the organization, including Wilt Chamberlain, Julius Erving, Moses Malone, Charles Barkley, and Allen Iverson. They have won three NBA championships, with their first coming as the Syracuse Nationals in 1955. The second title came in the 1966–67 season, a team which was led by Chamberlain. The third title came in the 1982–83 season, won by a team led by Erving and Malone. They have only been back to the Finals once since then, during the 2001 campaign, led by Iverson, only to lose to the Los Angeles Lakers, 4–1.

Seems

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

good post buddy......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In Response to Re: I think the Lakers 5 minnesota Titles should have an asterisk:
    good post buddy......
    Posted by Duke4

Thanks Duke

Other franchises with multiple city championships!
    Golden State warriors, 3 -----    1 at Golden State and 2 at Philadelphia.
    Sacramental Kings, 1 ------   1 at Rochester royals in 1951.

If OKC PULLS IT OFF THIS YEAR THEY WILL PICK UP SEATTLE'S CHAMPIONSHIP FROM THE LATE 70'S GIVING THE FRANCHISE 2

Seems

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

And the Thunder franchise should hang on to that championship...they're the team that won it. Whether the owner is an idiot doesn't matter. The City doesn't hold them, the franchise is still the team that won...whether it's a new city, or a new name. Say Seattle went out with a bang and won its last year in Washington...would the players in OK City not have the claim on it? They are the team/franchise that won it. I'm a Celtics fan, and I think LA ownership throughout the years has been fairly stupid...but the franchise still won them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFURY13. Show DFURY13's posts

What if the Sonics return to exsistance in Seattle?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to Re: I think the Lakers 5 minnesota Titles should have an asterisk : Duke He made a inaccurate statement  i just corrected him thats all I would not want him to lose his credibility here
    Posted by dirty52

Wrong about the Bob Short move - correct about the FACT Jack Kent Cooke wanted nothing to do with the MN titles.......which is the point of the thread.  Doesn't matter when he sold the team to Cooke, all that matters is the title of the thread.................

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

What if the Sonics return to exsistance in Seattle?
    Posted by DFURY13

If the LEAGUE created a new franchise it would be year one for the new Seattle franchise ,with no past history.  If however,an existing franchise moved to Seattle, then Seattle would continue the franchise history of the team that just moved to Seattle.
    Seems

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I agree with the laker this time.  This is silliness and who cares.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

my only reason for agreeing with an asterisk of sorts is the fact that the titles came before the shot clock era.....the game changed forever......just as baseball did in the steroid era.....does anyone really put any stock in the home run totals that were put up by Bonds, McGuire, ARod, or Sosa....?   .....I sure don't...

and, although I am a huge baseball fan, just take a look at all the record setting pitching lines prior to 1920.....when the "dead ball era" was over the game changed

there are so many "eras" in sports....

Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier
    MLB lowering the mound in the late '60's
    the era of expansion
    the free agency era
    the live ball era which coincided with the steroid era
    smaller retro ballparks
    mergers

but when the discussion comes around to the "modern era".......it is 1920 for MLB (the end of the dead ball) and 1954 for the NBA (the shot clock).....in fact, the shot clock was one of the reasons that Mikan walked away from basketball at the age of 31 years old....he couldn't play the game under the new rules....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Exactly, if a team is created in Seattle as an expansion team (probably not the best idea) then they are a new team, regardless of whether they are called the Sonics or anything else. If a team moves there, like a Toronto or something, they would still retain the history of the Toronto franchise (howeve little it may be) even if they change the name to the Sonics instead of staying the Raptors. And that will happen even if the new owner wants a fresh start, with everyone forgetting about the T-Mac/Vince Carter/Bosh days, while promoting some new rookie as the "new team's new face".

As far as the different eras in sports, the best comparison to the 3 point line is probably the dead ball era in baseball...and I know I wouldn't want an asterisk next to the Red Sox first five World Series wins just because the game has grown. It's not like the pre 3 point line, or shot clock or dead ball or instant replay or anything else changed the one fundamental reality that everyone was playing with the same rules.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

In Response to Re: I think the Lakers 5 minnesota Titles should have an asterisk : Duke - the guy never gives up - I produced FOUR articles proving my point, including a direct quote from Kupcake, and he stills thinks he won!!  Even lakers fan know that the only reason Gasol was traded for was that koME whined, and Bynum was hurt.  So............if you don't want this lunactic stalking you for two years, you should do what I have done: Posts from MajicMVP are hidden!!!  Thanks, Duke!!!
    Posted by hedleylamarr

Yes, you produced 4 articles from Kupchak, saying that P implies Q, yet you would say that is equivalent to !P imples !Q. 

Bynum got injured implies trade for Gasol

==

Bynum not injured implies not trade for Gasol

Logic is never your strong suit, so you shouldn't flash your ignorance on logic here. Of course I won't bet on it...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

In Response to Re: I think the Lakers 5 minnesota Titles should have an asterisk : Even if he didn't bring the team here, the FACT is he wanted nothing to do with the MN titles.  Please try to stay on topic!!!!!
    Posted by hedleylamarr

Hate to burst your bubble, or expose your ignorance.

What JKC did has no bearing with what Buss does now. Are you telling us JKC and Jerry Buss are the same person?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

good post buddy......
    Posted by Duke4

Well, you acknowledge that it's a good post. So it means franchise moves and even name changes would have no bearing on the # championships by a franchise. The city where it won doesn't matter.

So glad that you refute your own claim that those 5 championships should have asterisks. You finally see the lights...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

my only reason for agreeing with an asterisk of sorts is the fact that the titles came before the shot clock era.....the game changed forever......just as baseball did in the steroid era.....does anyone really put any stock in the home run totals that were put up by Bonds, McGuire, ARod, or Sosa....?   .....I sure don't... and, although I am a huge baseball fan, just take a look at all the record setting pitching lines prior to 1920.....when the "dead ball era" was over the game changed there are so many "eras" in sports.... Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier MLB lowering the mound in the late '60's the era of expansion the free agency era the live ball era which coincided with the steroid era smaller retro ballparks mergers but when the discussion comes around to the "modern era".......it is 1920 for MLB (the end of the dead ball) and 1954 for the NBA (the shot clock).....in fact, the shot clock was one of the reasons that Mikan walked away from basketball at the age of 31 years old....he couldn't play the game under the new rules....
    Posted by Duke4

Well, except the NBA doesn't operate that way. The NBA doesn't care about your opinion that the shot clock era constitutes the "modern" era.

If nothing else, the field (not the NBA officially) treats the either the ABA/NBA merger, or the introduction of the 3-point shot, as the demarcation of the modern era.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

I did the same thing weeks ago hedley......I do see some of the comments when someone does a "cut & paste".....but I no longer read any of the posts....they are just a rehash of the same thing over and over..... the Celts are 153-123 all time in the regular season (.554 to .445) the Celts are 43-31 in the Finals (.581 to .418) the Celts are 9-3 vs the Lakers in the Finals (.750 to .250) the Celts have a winning percentage of .809 to the Lakers.516 (LA Lakers .440) the Celts have more Hall of Famers the Celts were the first team to draft a black player the Celts were the first team to field an all black starting five the Celts were the first team in American major sports to hire a black head coach the Celts winningest coach has won 9 championships (Lakers best has 5) the Celts winningest player has 11 rings (Lakers best has 5) yet, because the Lakers came out of their conference more often than the Celts (and still trail in titles) this somehow makes the Lakers #1 in his mind......priceless!!!
    Posted by Duke4

Well, Duke, just because you "ignore" my post doesn't mean you get the last say. I'll respond to every one of yours. You ignore it, means you have no argument on what I say.

So no matter how many times you post the same thing again and again, I'll render you having no argument to my replies.

Just because the Celtics won 17 championships, thus it makes the east stronger, thus it makes the Celtics more difficult to win more conference championships. Priceless!!!!

Circular logic is your speciality...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

One could argue that new era's begin when players fitness levels improve and rule changes are introduced.

Shock clock is the massive line in the sand. Expansion of the league, rules such as hand checking, fact players seemed to get away with thuggery in the 80's and there were not the penalties there are today, and too many rule changes major and subtle to mention.

Just don't like the idea of running down a particular era to win an arguement. One era isn't necessarily better than another. From what I've seen of it, basketball was played at it's best in the 1980's. Magic and Bird were a gift. Prefer both their play to Jordan. However I don't denegrate the eras of Mikan, Russell (greatest player ever IMO), Pistons bad boys, Spurs, 70's and the split league etc. It's all part of basketball history.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I want to address what I consider to be a misconception about the 80's being rougher.  I don't agree.  I think this stems from the fact that the nba was more tolerant of fighting and displays of emotion than they are now.

But day in and day out, play became more physical at the start of the 90's when teams like detroit and later new york were successful by employing a defensive style of controlled mugging.  The motto became "if we foul enough they will get tired of calling fouls."

But truthfully I think the nba in general was LESS physical in the 80's.  I would cite as evidence higher scoring first of all.  Second, many teams were soft and skilled.  Lakers were a bit of that.  Denver was a lot of that, for example.

Also, players weren't as strong back then.  Whether it was training methods or steroids or hgh or whatever, nba players are bigger and stronger and I think that contributes to the physical nature of today's nba.  You used to see a lot of guys with durant's body type.  Now days it's pretty rare.

So to sum up, you had more tolerance of the occasional hard foul, but there wasn't the constant grabbing and holding that you see now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

as always, very well said my friend.....if I absolutely had to point out one era in sports that should have a giant asterisk....it would not be the NBA (although I hate the "Jordan Rules")....

it would be the records that have been set during MLB's "steroid era"....

I also do not have any problem with the Celtic/Laker comparisons....they are the two greatest franchises in league history....I was even a Laker fan up to my early teen years.......I do have a problem with trolls that visit other team forums only to annoy the team's fan base......

going back to the shot clock era one last time consider how it forever changed the game....the greatest player in the league (Mikan) walked away from the game at age 31....he made a brief comeback that was unsuccessful...he could no longer be effective on the court......none of the other changes to the game (3 point shot, zone defenses, etc) had such an impact on the league's history going forward.....just think about that for a minute....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to Re: I think the Lakers 5 minnesota Titles should have an asterisk : Yes, you produced 4 articles from Kupchak, saying that P implies Q, yet you would say that is equivalent to !P imples !Q.  Bynum got injured implies trade for Gasol == Bynum not injured implies not trade for Gasol Logic is never your strong suit, so you shouldn't flash your ignorance on logic here. Of course I won't bet on it...
    Posted by MajicMVP

Who are P and Q?  This is not a logic class, and you are using semantics to try to prove your point.  NOT logic.  Fact has little to do with logic.  The FACT is koME whined, Bynum got hurt, then you traded for Gasol.  Even Kupchak said what I have said - "the injury to Bynum prompted the trade for Gasol."
    Fail to see why you keep arguing this point.  Bynum got hurt, they traded garbage for Gasol, and won two titles!
    My initial argument was - the lakers traded for Gasol only after Bynum got hurt.  So if he didn't get hurt - no trade.  Very simple.
    Mind your own P and Q's - you've lost - and everyone on here knows it!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Ummm, DFury, if we discounted titles because of a lack of shot clock, how many banners do you think would hang in the Garden?

Sections
Shortcuts