I thought this was impossible, but DOC CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

I thought this was impossible, but DOC CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rivers-says-roles-wont-change-192607837--nba.html

docc sez: roles won't change, this is just "basketball by committee" and "i don't want anyone to think they're rondo now".....

woweeee- can there be two STUPIDER THINGS TO SAY at this juncture?!  of course roles have to change- a combination of two other people on the floor at any given time now have to do all the ballhandling and distribution- THAT IS A ROLE CHANGE, right?!

"Basketball by committee"- why say that?  it's so....  cheesey sounding...  something you'd figure you'd hear out of some crackpot outfit that just broke the record for fewest wins in a season. 

just say nothing, and make sure danny is looking for some PG help!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: I thought this was impossible, but DOC CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

Very true.. sometimes I wonder if DOc just doesnt open his book of basketball cliches and repeats them randomly...

IF no roles are going to change, then nobody will handle the ball alot more than prior to Rondos injury??

Good observation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Sounds to me that doc is trying to keep Rondo's spirits up by suggesting that R9R is irreplaceable, that somehow the team will simply try to muddle thru with heads held high, staying strong, soldiering on against all odds.

You have to wonder who is more devastated by the ACL tear... young Rondo... or his daddy doc.

A recent piece by Mazz (maybe???) on the sports page suggests that with this injury, we will finally be able to answer the question of exactly how important Rondo is to this team. 

My guess is.... not terribly. Unless doc gets conflicted, falls apart... and can't coach sending the team down the krapper.

In the meantime....Stay strong Rajon.  Stay strong, doc.

Pud

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

A recent piece by Mazz (maybe???) on the sports page suggests that with this injury, we will finally be able to answer the question of exactly how important Rondo is to this team. 

My guess is.... not terribly. Unless doc gets conflicted, falls apart... and can't coach sending the team down the krapper.

In the meantime....Stay strong Rajon.  Stay strong, doc.

Pud

exactly right!

the guard position was the best position to lose a player (not that its good to lose a player) because it is where he had depth.

Bradley- 24 min/G (21.7 last year)

Lee- 22.8Min/G (26.6 career)

Terry- 28 min/G (lowest since his rookie year)

Barbosa-11 min/G (23.9 Career)

can't get it done?

maybe not a true point guard in the bunch, but come on each  of these guys have gotten in done in the NBA.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

What he us saying that players have to elavate their game but,play their game well not try to be Rondo. What's he supposed to say?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to kdp59's comment:

exactly right!

the guard position was the best position to lose a player (not that its good to lose a player) because it is where he had depth.

Bradley- 24 min/G (21.7 last year)

Lee- 22.8Min/G (26.6 career)

Terry- 28 min/G (lowest since his rookie year)

Barbosa-11 min/G (23.9 Career)

can't get it done?

maybe not a true point guard in the bunch, but come on each  of these guys have gotten in done in the NBA.

There's plenty of talent there in this guard group.

doc, you need to wake up, flip off the auto pilot and coach a bit more than you're used to.

That's what you're getting paid the big bucks to do.

Man up and inspire your guys with a can-do attitude.

You're baby boy is going to be okay. How about you?

Pud

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:

What he us saying that players have to elavate their game but,play their game well not try to be Rondo. What's he supposed to say?

Doc could say something sensible and logical like, we're gonna have to find out who our best players are to handle the ball for our club..  Somebody has to do it and its not by committee... only a few, on the outside, can attmept to fill that spot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I don't see anything wrong with what Doc said and I see nothing wrong with the way he's asking them to play now.  It is exactly what he said - the starters have to play the way the bench does when its playing without a "true point guard".  And.....I LOVE it when they play that way - moving the ball.

Only thing I see wrong is Doc not being able to corral Rondo earlier and stop him from dribbling the ball so much and slowing down the rest of the team.   

But, for what Doc's saying and doing......you're just haters trying your best to find something to nitpick about.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

my point was that saying nothing is better than that.  just saying "the team will surely miss rajon, but we have to press on and do our very best" would have been better. 

instead doc splattered out some absolutely impossible-isms

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

acie doesn't like simple words "don't try to be Rondo" or "basketball by committee". What acie wants is something more harsh like "fatwa" or "slavery".

Don't get in the way of acie's 800 complains per minute or you'll be sorry!

Fierce, you're really....  not making any sense.

I made an observation about a soundbite from a coach who seems to do very little right but wake up in the morning and go to sleep at night- things anyone can do.

it doesn't take much to "say something good" for the team right now, but what he said did not make sense to me.  and others.  see?

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

One sure test of a good coach is how he does when his players arent the best on the floor... Hows Doc been without 3 HOF'rs starting for him??

Just like Doc "discovered" talents like BBD through injury to KG (or else he'd still be rotting on the bench playing mostly garbage minutes"... Doc also found our new style (or so hes now credited with) cause Rondo went down... Honestly, does anyone think our old Doc style of Rondo with the ball 80% of the time and not playing defense was better??? No, it was Docs choice and now we fell into the right style by circunstance...not by coaching acumen.

Now you posters that cant mount an intellectual argument can resume calling posters like me who dislike Docs coaching and Rondos game...haters..  Thats your catch-all to bail your opinions out

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

my point was that saying nothing is better than that.  just saying "the team will surely miss rajon, but we have to press on and do our very best" would have been better. 

instead doc splattered out some absolutely impossible-isms

Come on, its just an interview. What should he do, hire a speech writer? I don't like how Doc has been handling the team, but its silly to dissect every word he says, i think.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Do we know what Doc is saying when there are no cameras or reporters around?

Bad coaches don't win championships.

Mike Brown is the only coach to have ever coached both Kobe and Lebron. The result? ZERO championships.

D'Antoni had Nash, Amare, Joe Johnson, and Marion and he couldn't even get to the Finals. He also had Carmelo, Tyson, and Amare, and he couldn't get out of the first round of the playoffs.

When KG and Pierce were 31 or 32 years old, the Celtics won 66 and 62 games. Even made it to the Finals again in 2010. It's not that hard to figure out that it's not the coach, it's the players that got old.

I don't think Doc's coaching had much to do with our play in 2007 and 2008 either. That group of players was ultra-talented and very motivated to get their first ring. And of course there was/is KG.

My granny could have coached that team with great results.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to basketbert's comment:

Come on, its just an interview. What should he do, hire a speech writer? I don't like how Doc has been handling the team, but its silly to dissect every word he says, i think.

Doc speaks with such imprecision that we are left dissecting his series of cliches looking for something of substance to hang our hats on.

And when we feel we finally know what he might be getting at, doc contradicts himself, sending us scurrying again in confusion searching for clarity.

What doc SAYS and what he actually DOES only adds to communication problems.

Same with DA IMHO.

Pud

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Doc speaks with such imprecision that we are left dissecting his series of cliches looking for something of substance to hang our hats on.

And when we feel we finally know what he might be getting at, doc contradicts himself, sending us scurrying again in confusion searching for clarity.

What doc SAYS and what he actually DOES only adds to communication problems.

Same with DA IMHO.

Pud

But Mrs Creeper why would you be so concerned with what a coach or a GM says to the media anyway?

Any coach or GM that said what they are really thinking to the media would be fired in a day.

The media is not their friend, just like politicians their job is to manipulate the media into presenting the team in a favorable light.

We all know this.  Don't we?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Do we know what Doc is saying when there are no cameras or reporters around?

Bad coaches don't win championships.

Mike Brown is the only coach to have ever coached both Kobe and Lebron. The result? ZERO championships.

D'Antoni had Nash, Amare, Joe Johnson, and Marion and he couldn't even get to the Finals. He also had Carmelo, Tyson, and Amare, and he couldn't get out of the first round of the playoffs.

When KG and Pierce were 31 or 32 years old, the Celtics won 66 and 62 games. Even made it to the Finals again in 2010. It's not that hard to figure out that it's not the coach, it's the players that got old.

I don't think Doc's coaching had much to do with our play in 2007 and 2008 either. That group of players was ultra-talented and very motivated to get their first ring. And of course there was/is KG.

My granny could have coached that team with great results.

That's not true. Mike Brown and D'Antoni are proof of that.

Remember, the Celts went to Game 7 against the Hawks in the 1st round and another Game 7 against the Cavs in the semis. The Celts could have choked in both series.

Some here take Doc and Ainge for granted. But people like Rick Pitino, Dave Gavitt, Chris Wallace, Jimmy Rodgers, M.L. Carr, Jim O'Brien, Chris Ford, and John Carroll never made a Celtics team go into the Finals.

Fierce,

Blaming the coach is the height of stupidity on this board. Doc got five years out of the big three and these posters cannot see how incredibly River's has managed it.  Do they realize what he accomplished in 2010 and 2012? Do they remember KG was on the shelf and he almost got to the finalsl in 2009?  They also think Rondo is a mole and destroying the team from the inside.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

Fierce,

Blaming the coach is the height of stupidity on this board. Doc got five years out of the big three and these posters cannot see how incredibly River's has managed it.  Do they realize what he accomplished in 2010 and 2012? Do they remember KG was on the shelf and he almost got to the finalsl in 2009?  They also think Rondo is a mole and destroying the team from the inside.

Agree.

What's worse is Karl wants to replace Doc Rivers with Jeff Van Gundy.

HAHAHA

Doc in retrospect will be appreciated. He is a great coach.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JG9000. Show JG9000's posts

Fierce,

Agree.

What's worse is Karl wants to replace Doc Rivers with Jeff Van Gundy.

HAHAHA

Doc in retrospect will be appreciated. He is a great coach.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

What's worse is Karl wants to replace Doc Rivers with Jeff Van Gundy. HAHAHA

if doc was to leave, i'd have no problem w/ jeff van gundy. smart basketball guy, entertaining. what's not to like?

Sections
Shortcuts