I wish KG had played against Maurice Lucas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CVD2312. Show CVD2312's posts

I wish KG had played against Maurice Lucas

I believe it was 2 years ago when the Celtics visited Portland, and KG and LaMarcus Aldridge got into it a little bit when KG put his elbow into the back of Aldridge's head during a dead ball. Maurice Lucas, then on the Blazers bench as an assistant coach, was quoted as saying that if Garnett had played back in his day, he would have loved to knock him out in a heartbeat, because it was only a $50 fine for throwing a punch.

KG is all bark, and his act has gotten so old. With the passing of Maurice Lucas earlier this week, and yet more KG crap being spewed this week as well, it makes me respect the legacy of Lucas even more and makes me despise Garnett's act even more. 

R.I.P. Maurice Lucas 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Re: I wish KG had played against Maurice Lucas

KG all bark? Is this MMA or NBA? 

Ron Artest bites, hard! I bet that fan from Detroit would have wished that Artest was all bark too. 

Stop with this nonsense! 

Asking a dead guy to punch KG is really disgusting!Yell

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

nefarious aldrdige is also all bark and no bite.

but one thing is for sure, kg would have been flat on his brisket if he came across luke the wrong way.  just one of those arms up stupid acts after an and 1 and throwing an eblow and lucas would have smoothed him right out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

Ah, the good old days.

Game four--or was it five?--1977 Darryl Dawkins goes up for a rebound and comes down with Bobby Gross's head.  Gross lands in a heap and pops up with both fists clenched.  An instinctive reaction to be sure since he high-tailed it and ran when Dawkins raised his fists.

Chocolate Thunder chased Bobby, swinging wildly.  One punch connected on teammate Doug Collins's face.  Collins goes down with blood coming from his face.

Lucas runs up to Dawkins from behind and lands a couple of solid ones on the back of his head.

Thee two stand toe to toe with fists raised bobbing and weaving like two boxers.  Order is some how restored.  Dawkins and Lucas are ejected.

No suspensions.

THose were the days when men could be men.  Yeah.

RIP Luke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

is that real despise or just "sports" despise, CVD2312? both are exhausting, but if it's just "sports" despise you should be able to get some relief once the blazers ever advance beyond mediocre.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

In Response to Re: I wish KG had played against Maurice Lucas:
    Ah, the good old days. Game four--or was it five?--1977 Darryl Dawkins goes up for a rebound and comes down with Bobby Gross's head.  Gross lands in a heap and pops up with both fists clenched.  An instinctive reaction to be sure since he high-tailed it and ran when Dawkins raised his fists. Chocolate Thunder chased Bobby, swinging wildly.  One punch connected on teammate Doug Collins's face.  Collins goes down with blood coming from his face. Lucas runs up to Dawkins from behind and lands a couple of solid ones on the back of his head. Thee two stand toe to toe with fists raised bobbing and weaving like two boxers.  Order is some how restored.  Dawkins and Lucas are ejected. No suspensions. THose were the days when men could be men.  Yeah. RIP Luke.
    Posted by pliu

I don't remember that game but Dawkins and Maurice going at it would be worth the price of admission.
        Maurice Lucas was a great player. He's one for the memories.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i believe it was game 6 of that series.  when people like lucas, unseld, reed, lanier, etc. played the game there was none of this bravado clatter that went on. 
    if you wanted to get tough at any given moment, most teams had a real tough guy who would put you to the test right then and there. 

i thing perkins could be a real tough guy but unfortunately isn't.  he falls short because he is always trying to be tough with the rotten face on.  real tough guys from back in the day weren't like that. 

this is where i think davis could/should become a real tough guy.  they should be working with him on it.  i know he is a goofball and that is fine, but he could also be our tough guy, a happy personality doss not preclude you from being tough when it's time to be so.  he is only about the strongest guy in the league. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Yes, & I remember when Maurice broke James Worthy's leg. He was a tough player, willing to mix it up with anyone.

But Karl Malone has to be considered the toughest. Making Isiah Thomas bleed, constantly using his leg as he would go up to score to kick his opponent's in that sensitive spot. Ruthless!

There have been a number of dirty teams historically in the NBA. But the bad boys from Detroit in the 80s take the cake with Mahorn, Rodman, & Lambeer. I never saw any team more dirty, though the Bird-led Celtics were a close 2nd.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Blazers lost tonight. So much for talking trash, CVD2312.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Nobody really knows how soft/hard KG really is... pretty much all anyone does is play basketball.. which makes it convenient for CV to challenge KG. 

THose of you remembering the past are correct about the consequences of either rough or showboating but that doesnt mean KG would be a different player, just maybe he'd have a few more bruises and lumps

Id have to agree with the poster pointing to those Piston teams with Mahorn & Laimbeer.. they were just brutal and dirty. Being a Celtic fan I was naturally always upset with them but in retrospect, that was some entertainment, especially when the Chief karate chopped Laimbeer about 6-7 shots in retaliation lol

Lets not leave out our own Kevin McHale and his clothesline on Rambis which maybe turned around the NBA finals that year. All he got was a foul rofl

The worse of all had to have been Kermit Washington breaking the face of Rudy T.

All in all the NBA back then was closer to the NHL where each team had an enforcer of some sort and lots of physical/dirty played was allowed and a foul was usually the only consequence. Could you imagine what would have happened to those Cav teams with Lebron with all that dancing, bowling and pretend snapshots? 

Can just imagine Mo Lucas watching that garbage with steam coming out of his ears.. Lebrons first bull drive to the hole  would have got him a knee in the balls
    and maybe a B slap to go along with it

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

i believe it was game 6 of that series.  when people like lucas, unseld, reed, lanier, etc. played the game there was none of this bravado clatter that went on.  if you wanted to get tough at any given moment, most teams had a real tough guy who would put you to the test right then and there.  i thing perkins could be a real tough guy but unfortunately isn't.  he falls short because he is always trying to be tough with the rotten face on.  real tough guys from back in the day weren't like that.  this is where i think davis could/should become a real tough guy.  they should be working with him on it.  i know he is a goofball and that is fine, but he could also be our tough guy, a happy personality doss not preclude you from being tough when it's time to be so.  he is only about the strongest guy in the league. 
    Posted by aciemvp

It wasn't game six b/c the 'Blazers won the title in six and I distinctly recall that niether Dawkins nor Lucas were suspended for any games.

My favorite tough dude was Dave Cowens.   Cowens hated flopping and even refused to teach it at his basketball camp.  He felt it insulted the purity of the game.

Back in that era one of the real good floppers was a guard named Mike Newlin, a pretty fair player.

One game Cowens drove on Newlin and got whistled for a charge.  Cowens howled in disbelief but the ref let the call stand. So the next time down the court Cowens locks his arms and tramples Newlin while running at full speed. 

He then turns to the refs and yells, "Now that was a f**kin' foul.  The other one you called was a fake and you better f**kin' well call this one."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9lHM6h40Zo

Ah, here it is.  It was game two.

I'm in love with the modern world.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

If you look carefully you can see one Joe
    "Jelly Bean" Bryant, papa to none other than Kobe on the Sixers' bench. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9lHM6h40Zo Ah, here it is.  It was game two. I'm in love with the modern world.
    Posted by paulliu

me too, paulliu. throw in some modern moonlight.Smile

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

So a player saying words is worse then when players use to try and actually hurt each other? You put dirty, aggressive, pain seeking players up on a pedestal, but KG gets a negative response when he said a few words? Words that only one person actually heard? I havent seen any reports of other Detroit players and coaches coming out and saying they heard it...but i have hear Doc say it didnt happen the the CV said it did.....

In the end, players talk trash and its part of the game now just like tackling, punching, kicking, and breaking bones was a part of the game 30 years ago. Only trash talking doesnt send someone to the hospital.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9lHM6h40Zo Ah, here it is.  It was game two. I'm in love with the modern world.
    Posted by paulliu

i gladly stand corrected, and amended as cowens was a tough SOB.  and there were many more like him in that day.  i remember newlin but never watched him enough to realize he was a flopper.  he was on some very mediocre new joysey teams that i remember.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

So a player saying words is worse then when players use to try and actually hurt each other? You put dirty, aggressive, pain seeking players up on a pedestal, but KG gets a negative response when he said a few words? Posted by gbman87603

no, you don't get it man.  the dirty players were laimbeer, mahorn, and those of that cloth.  the tough players were cowens, lucas, reed, unseld and those of that cloth. 

kg, if anything of the two old school formats, comes closer to dirty.  his antics with much smaller players compared to going after anyone his size for trash talking and cheap shots- well, he looks more like a laimbeer than a lucas or cowens.

i hated laimbeer just like the next boston fan but in retrospect, recently have developed some sort of distant respect/twinge of nostalgia for the guy.  he was a jerk's jerk back in the day.  he was a bit tough.  and he was definitely dirty.  he was not the most talented and he probably developed the right profile to help his team the most he could. 

that said, watching parish maul him in that playoff game was very pleasing but at the same time watching lamebeer can some half court shots and show up in among the best shape of the other antiques @ recent all star game 3 on 3 competitions was nice to see.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CVD2312. Show CVD2312's posts

So a player saying words is worse then when players use to try and actually hurt each other? You put dirty, aggressive, pain seeking players up on a pedestal, but KG gets a negative response when he said a few words? Words that only one person actually heard? I havent seen any reports of other Detroit players and coaches coming out and saying they heard it...but i have hear Doc say it didnt happen the the CV said it did..... In the end, players talk trash and its part of the game now just like tackling, punching, kicking, and breaking bones was a part of the game 30 years ago. Only trash talking doesnt send someone to the hospital.
    Posted by gbman87603

No, its the fact that KG tries to act like he's a tough guy, but has NEVER shown anything to back it up. He bullies usually smaller or inferior players. Anthony Peeler was ready to knock him out a few years ago, and KG raised his hands up and backed away. He's a little girl that acts tough behind the safety of the basketball court.

Real tough guys don't have to try to show people that they are tough. I can guarantee you Lucas would have never paraded around like Garnett does instigating people.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CVD2312. Show CVD2312's posts

Blazers lost tonight. So much for talking trash, CVD2312.
    Posted by P34

This has nothing to do with my post.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

So KG comes out of high school, has a long and accomplished career in the NBA, and you want to tear him down because you like Maurice Lucas better? Look, I don't take anything away from Lucas, he was an old school beast and worthy of great respect, but KG has had a great career. You would honor Lucas' memory more by sharing stories of how he inspired you than by tearing another player down - that's not how Lucas would want you do handle it.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

KG has had a great career, pity his big mouth is what a lot of his peers will remember him for.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

In Response to I wish KG had played against Maurice Lucas:
    I believe it was 2 years ago when the Celtics visited Portland, and KG and LaMarcus Aldridge got into it a little bit when KG put his elbow into the back of Aldridge's head during a dead ball. Maurice Lucas, then on the Blazers bench as an assistant coach, was quoted as saying that if Garnett had played back in his day, he would have loved to knock him out in a heartbeat, because it was only a $50 fine for throwing a punch. KG is all bark, and his act has gotten so old. With the passing of Maurice Lucas earlier this week, and yet more KG crap being spewed this week as well, it makes me respect the legacy of Lucas even more and makes me despise Garnett's act even more.  R.I.P. Maurice Lucas 
    Posted by CVD2312

YO DUDE....LUCAS IS DEAD & BURIED...

HE CAN NEITHER CONFIRM NOR DENY WHAT YOU ARE SAYING..

DO  NOT MAKE THE MEMORY OF LUCAS  BE A PART OF

YOUR "WARPED" FANTASY AS TO WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN TO "KG"

"KG" IS NOT HIDING...IF YOU WANT SOME OF HIS AAAZZZ

THEN "BE A MAN" & TAKE "KG"  ON IN PERSON , NOT ON THE

"INTERNET"...LIKE YOUR... "HERO"... CHARLIE-BOY-GEORGE...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Posted by paulliu

AWSOME LINK!!!  Nice find. AHHHH...the good ole days!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

i believe it was game 6 of that series.  when people like lucas, unseld, reed, lanier, etc. played the game there was none of this bravado clatter that went on.  if you wanted to get tough at any given moment, most teams had a real tough guy who would put you to the test right then and there.  i thing perkins could be a real tough guy but unfortunately isn't.  he falls short because he is always trying to be tough with the rotten face on.  real tough guys from back in the day weren't like that.  this is where i think davis could/should become a real tough guy.  they should be working with him on it.  i know he is a goofball and that is fine, but he could also be our tough guy, a happy personality doss not preclude you from being tough when it's time to be so.  he is only about the strongest guy in the league. 
    Posted by aciemvp

I have been watching a few dozen games a year since the 1960's and I remember all the players you mention and I don't think it is less physical today than it was then. Perkins physicallity is superb and would fit in then and now. Do you think Doc and Ainge would play Perk if he wasn't tough? Fights happened then but very infrequently and usually resulted in a lot of hugging and not much in the way of connecting.

Davis is playing just the way he should right now. His feature is his energy and quickness for his size. That is as tough as he has to be.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Still dont' see how Cheeks, Toney, Erving, Jones and Jones were NOT dirtier than the Bird-led Celtics.  Then they got Dawkins, then Malone............

Sections
Shortcuts