I'd be all in for this deal.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

Re: I'd be all in for this deal.

The only leverage the celts had in any deal with the Pistons was that Rondo would've been a lure to bring Smith there.  He signed there anyway, without Rondo.  So that leverage is gone.  Pistons and Smith may still want Rondo, but they won't have to pony up as much as if Danny had done the deal before the Smith signing. 

Any team that wants Rondo would be smart to wait until they see him in action.  Make sure he hasnt lost a step, and see if the relationship between him and the new baby coach turns toxic, which would force DA to trade him for less value.

As far as the two young bigs go, if they were to trade either Monroe or Drummond (prob not happening now) I think they would be more apt to let go of Monroe because he will command quite a bit of cash after next season.  whereas they still have Drummond, (who is a better defender and yet to reach his potential) on a rookie deal for two more years.

However, I think if DA demands either of those guys the Pistons will be more than happy to run it back with Knight and Stuckey off the bench. They'll bank on Rondo butting heads with the coach, and hope DA gets desperate/Rondo demands a trade, then get him mid season or next year for pennies on the dollar.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

i don't think Danny really cares that Detroit signed Smith. That won't change his asking price for Rondo and it doesn't decrease Rondo's value either. The assumption that Detroit is thinking about banking on Rondo clashing with Stevens and DA getting desperate is baseless. If Detroit is serious about winning, they will do everything they can to get Rondo, because without a legit PG that team is not a contender. 

There are numerous combinations of players including Monroe or Drummond that Detroit could package. Monroe, Knight, Stuckey, Villanueva, and a #1 picks for Rondo, Green, and Courtney Lee make sense. C's essentially get 3 young chips and cap relief for Rondo and Green. Detroit's starting lineup would be C Drummond PF Smith SF Green SG Pope PG Rondo. C's would have plenty of cap room to sign Monroe to a long term deal. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

I like Rajon Rondo and I REALLY like him at his current salary and cap hit.  Rondo is an all-star PG and is certainly a piece of a championship puzzle.

What I DON'T like is the fact that Rondo is coming off an ACL tear and won't be ready for the beginning of the season.  If he pulls a Rose, he might not play very much (or at all) in 2013-2014.  Rondo has two years left on his contract, one of which will be injury plagued.  After that he is going to want a max contract, paying him around $90+ million over 5 years, taking him until he is 34. Do you really want to take up that much cap space for Rondo?

If they Celtics can trade Rondo and either Wallace/Lee/Bass (in that order) for Monroe, Stuckey, Villanueva and a future #1 pick, then I think that Danny needs to pull the trigger.  BTW, if the Pistons trade for Rondo, then they need to hold onto Stuckey or Knight as Rondo will not be ready to play right away.

I don't think that the Celtics will (or should) give Rondo away.  But, if they are trying to rebuild AND they can get a nice haul in return, then Danny has to let Rondo go.

BTW, whomever was talking about the dislike of Rondo being racist, just doesn't know what they are talking about.  Starting five 2007-2010:  Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Garnett, Perkins.  Potential Pistons trade targets:  Monroe, Drummond, Knight, Stuckey (expiring), Villanueva (expiring).  It is not like people want to trade him for Scalabrine.  Give the race card a rest, or better yet?  Retire it permanently.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

Danny doesn't care that Detriot signed Smith, but Detriot does.  And Rondo's value right now is at an all time low.  

These are negotiations.  When someone negotiates they look for every angle possible to lower the value of the other side.  It seems pretty easy to say Rondo is a mercurial, hotheaded PG who pushed out one of the best coaches in the NBA, pushed out one of the most respected vets in the league in Ray, is coming off an injury that could slow him down for a year or two, rode the backs of 3 HOFers to his one championship, and who's defensive energy has wilted year after year.  

I personally like Rondo and wouldn't classify him this way, but if I was a GM trying to get the better end of the deal you bet your azz that this is the first paragraph coming out of my mouth.

Not to mention that Detroit already has a young point guard that has shown flashes of being a good player, and guess what, Rondo isn't the only PG in the league with skill.  If the glut of bigmen they have doesn't pan out they can just let Monroe walk, or sign and trade him at the end of the year. No harm no foul.  And yes, Rondo could have been great as bait to get the guy we really wanted, but he came here anyway, so what's the incentive?

Im just saying that Detriot, now that they have Smith, has the upper hand, and I'm sure they know that Rondo has as many detractors as he does fans.  Unlike Drummond and Monroe who are loved by the Pistons fans (if you don't believe me go to some of their chat rooms and see what they say about losing either of them, in short they may riot).

And I agree that if you offer Rondo and Green that would be a package that could net you Monroe, and knight, but who on earth would give up the only two players on the team that have any shot whatsoever to be all stars or are even remotely marketable?????  For a center who has been compared to Al Jefferson defensively, and could just walk at the end of the year, a PG who is a completely unproven commodity and also is a terrible defender, and a future pick (cant be 2014 cuz the Pistons don't own it) when DA already has a bunch of picks stockpiled??   Would anyone else on the board consider doing that deal?  Seems pretty MORONIC!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

In response to hops29's comment:

Danny doesn't care that Detriot signed Smith, but Detriot does.  And Rondo's value right now is at an all time low.  

These are negotiations.  When someone negotiates they look for every angle possible to lower the value of the other side.  It seems pretty easy to say Rondo is a mercurial, hotheaded PG who pushed out one of the best coaches in the NBA, pushed out one of the most respected vets in the league in Ray, is coming off an injury that could slow him down for a year or two, rode the backs of 3 HOFers to his one championship, and who's defensive energy has wilted year after year.  

I personally like Rondo and wouldn't classify him this way, but if I was a GM trying to get the better end of the deal you bet your azz that this is the first paragraph coming out of my mouth.

Not to mention that Detroit already has a young point guard that has shown flashes of being a good player, and guess what, Rondo isn't the only PG in the league with skill.  If the glut of bigmen they have doesn't pan out they can just let Monroe walk, or sign and trade him at the end of the year. No harm no foul.  And yes, Rondo could have been great as bait to get the guy we really wanted, but he came here anyway, so what's the incentive?

Im just saying that Detriot, now that they have Smith, has the upper hand, and I'm sure they know that Rondo has as many detractors as he does fans.  Unlike Drummond and Monroe who are loved by the Pistons fans (if you don't believe me go to some of their chat rooms and see what they say about losing either of them, in short they may riot).

And I agree that if you offer Rondo and Green that would be a package that could net you Monroe, and knight, but who on earth would give up the only two players on the team that have any shot whatsoever to be all stars or are even remotely marketable?????  For a center who has been compared to Al Jefferson defensively, and could just walk at the end of the year, a PG who is a completely unproven commodity and also is a terrible defender, and a future pick (cant be 2014 cuz the Pistons don't own it) when DA already has a bunch of picks stockpiled??   Would anyone else on the board consider doing that deal?  Seems pretty MORONIC!

This post was supposed to be in direct reply to MrCrickets post.  But I am really curious how many people would make the deal he suggested.  

Rondo, Green, Lee, for  Monroe, Knight, Charlie V. Stuckey, and a future 1st.

Just a yay or nay on that deal, because it seems ludicrous to me.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

This post was supposed to be in direct reply to MrCrickets post.  But I am really curious how many people would make the deal he suggested.  

Rondo, Green, Lee, for  Monroe, Knight, Charlie V. Stuckey, and a future 1st.

Just a yay or nay on that deal, because it seems ludicrous to me.

Danny would only make this deal if he wanted to completely blow things up.  If this deal happened, the Celtics might only win 20 games. 

I would probably have to go with NAY, but it would be alot closer than one might think.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

In response to RallyC's comment:

I don't really think that his level of talent and ability is the issue for anyone here. You seem to just ignore the mental and psychological issues that he displays regularly. You can't do that. No matter how good a player is, if they have such issues, they can be dangeoursly destructive to chemistry and success.

You talk as if he's Ron Artest. That's hardly the case. He's passionate dude. Sometimes to a detriment (not "regularly"). That's all. He's a fighter, and not a passivist. I think you're being extreme.

I'll say this again. Rondo is a perenial allstar and potential MVP candidate. I'ld want either that type of potential in return, or draft picks. Monroe is none of the above. I don't like it.

Its amazing how big of a divide there is in this city regarding Rondo.

And to say that both opinions are equal is wrong. Thats false equivalency

As you say, Rondo is not Artest. He is not locker room cacner. His teammates love him. Doc has not said one bad thing about him. Seriously, the worst thing Rondo has ever done is stand up for KG being pushed (fighting Humpty) and intimidating refs with a stare when their incompetency was losing us the game. Who the freak cares? Seriously? If they players like him, if he is a superstar on the court, if he's not out shooting people off the court and if he is fully engaged and not apathetic, then who the freak cares if he "bumps a ref" or some BS like that.

Rondo is a superstar and I think all the hate is somehow, weirdly, borderline racist.

R9R, there is no such thing as being "borderline racist" as you imply. What the hell is that? A racist is a racist. Regardless, that weak cop out isn't gonna work here so kill it, please? That is so outta place and such a desperation move. Using that kind of lingo when talking to fans of the NBA which is overwhelmingly constructed of black athletes is a testament to the level of real understanding that you have about today's NBA and its fans. Just stop!

Here is a great read as to why Rondo has got to go, and this is by Sports Illustrated, so I hope race doesn't come into your assessment. All of his reasons happen to match the reasons that many of us here have been arguing, from both sides, for a long time. WARNING! Ian Thomsen is a white guy!

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2013/07/04/ian-thomsen-on-dc-celtics-need-to-trade-rajon-rondo-following-fascinating-hiring-of-brad-stevens/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Here is a great read as to why Rondo has got to go, and this is by Sports Illustrated, so I hope race doesn't come into your assessment. All of his reasons happen to match the reasons that many of us here have been arguing, from both sides, for a long time. WARNING! Ian Thomsen is a white guy!

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2013/07/04/ian-thomsen-on-dc-celtics-need-to-trade-rajon-rondo-following-fascinating-hiring-of-brad-stevens/

[/QUOTE]

The media hates Rondo, cause he hates/mocks them. Therefore, articles such as these have no credibility with me. He's a smart guy who questions the way things are, as he should. As we all should. Sure there's been situations, but the media is going to amplify it into something tiring.

When I look @ Rondo, I see a Kobe Bryant type of mentality. Stuborn to a fault, and the only thing that matters is the win. Period! Out of every player in the league right now, I don't think there's anybody who wants to win ballgames more then those 2 guys. In a league where it's hard to get multi-millionaires to care whether they win or lose (it's just a paycheck to them), the fans WANT the ones who care. That's what we want to watch. Rondos' passion speaks volumes to me. That being said, I wouldn't be against trading him. I just agree with R9R's thinking in that alot of people undervalue what he brings to a franchise. Remember, PP didn't get along with Doc either. Maybe it was more Doc's "my way or the highway" dictatorness that created those confrontations (but who's going to bad-mouth the media friendly Doc Rivers). Who better to question those ways then the guy who's actually running the show out there. The only ones I hear say anything negative about Rondo is the media, and those that listen to the media. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

i don't understand how you can mention Rondo's value being at an all-time low right now and then turn around and say that getting an offensively gifted 23 year old center, decent young guard and, cap relief and a future #1 pick is moronic and not enough? obviously like past similar trades, Boston and Monroe would agree to an extension before finalizing the trade. jeff green, while a talented player, is not worth his long term bloated contract. he is essentially a bad contract. Danny's done a great job at stockpiling #1 picks, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want more. after all, he is "rebuilding".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

Your idea that Jeff Green is nothing more than " a bloated contract" and a throw in is what's moronic.  You must have some personal agenda against him, still mad about the Perk trade? Well your agenda is blinding you.

Jeff Green is far and away the second best player on the team! even if Monroe and knight were just magically added to the celts roster Green would still be the second best player behind Rondo.

He doesn't even command a huge salary by nba standards. Not even 10mil a year!  Here are some other guys that make as much or more, and you tell me if he is comparable to them production wise...

Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, Sean Marion, Danillo Gallinari, Carlos Boozer, Deandre Jordan, Danny Granger, Steve Nash, Mike Conley, Kerilenko, David Lee, Tyson Chandler, Bargnani, Hedo Turkoglu, Batum, Demar Derozen, Richard Jefferson....Should I continue? Cuz there are many more guys in that $9-$14mil range that are very comparable to Green.  David Lee is the only guy in that list that I would say ishead and shoulders better than Green, but he actually makes about 13mil to Greens 9.7.

To say that he doesn't deserve as much or more than most of these guys is just Hating for hating sake.  Joe Johnson put up 14, 3, & 3 last year in the post season, Green put up 20, 5, & 2........AND JJOHNSON MAKES TWICE AS MUCH! 

Your trade is a farce seemingly filled with personal, non basketball related ideals.  Because anyone with any basketball sense would see that trade as a one sided fleecing by the Pistons over the Celtics.   But thankfully I won't have to worry because NO GM WOULD EVER DO THAT DEAL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

PS The reason I mentioned Rondo's value is so low is because my point in the first place was that I don't think a deal with Detroit is going to happen, period.  I wouldn't trade Rondo unless you were getting back one of their two young bigs, which I don't think Detriot is willing to do.  But that doesn't mean that I think DA should give away BOTH of the only two guys with any chance whatsoever to be an allstar, just to get a deal done.

You don't go to the table and say "oh you don't want to give me equal value for my top player?  Well, let me give you our only other top flight player, basically just to get what I wanted for the first guy.". Noooooooo!  You walk away from the table! Have a nice day! Enjoy your big man logjam, crappy shoot first no D point guard, and years of mediocrity.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

are you Rusty?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to chris33's comment:

Rondo is good in the playoffs, but phones it in during the season.

You mean like this past regular season, in which he averaged 13.7 ppg, a league-leading 11.1 apg, and 5.6 rpg before the injury?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

In response to MrCricket's comment:

are you Rusty?

Nice counter point.  And no, I am not Rusty.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

are you Rusty?

Nice counter point.  And no, I am not Rusty.

ah, thanks, was just curious. there was too much emotionally driven psychobabble to respond to. if you could condense your thoughts and express them more clearly i think i would be more compelled to respond with an actual counter point. no big deal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

Again, nothing to prove any sort of point.  Just because you have no clear idea of what you are talking about don't take it out on me with personal attacks. I'll keep it simple so you understand.

Rondo+Jeff Green+Lee for Monroe+Knight+Charlie V.+Stuckey+2015 late 1st round pick =

A terrible lopsided trade that would make the Pistons a championship contender, and leave the Celtics with 0 possible all star caliber players. You must secretly be a Pistons fan.

Got it genius???

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

no need to get all upset, kid. i really couldn't respond to your other posts because there was just too much scattered thoughts. but i see in another thread you are now calling for rondo and lee to be traded for monroe and stuckey.. pretty funny. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

if Detroit is really going for broke and trying to win now, then they would be wise to do whatever they can to obtain a superstar PG like Rondo. While Monroe and Drummond are talented young big men, they aren't as valuable as a PG like Rondo who makes the whole team go and is a floor general. If i'm DA i want salary cap relief (Villanueva/Stuckey), a future #1 pick (rather than Knight), and Drummond or Monroe. Detroit could take their pick of anyone on the roster aside from Olynyk, Sully, Green, Bradley, and Brooks.

NOW YOU ARE BACKPEDALING! ALL THE SUDDEN GREEN ISN'T AVAIL?????  YOU WERE GOING TO THROW HIM AWAY AND LABELED HIM AS A "BLOATED CONTRACT" THREE DAYS AGO!  THEN YOU TRY TO (WEAKLY) CALL ME OUT FOR BEING A FLIPFLOPPER ON ANOTHER THREAD?????  YOU ARE WEAK WEAK WEAK!!

AND YOUR PROFILE PIC IS THE LAMEST MOST FEMININE THING IVE EVER SEEN DUDE! GO AWAY!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

[QUOTE]

if Detroit is really going for broke and trying to win now, then they would be wise to do whatever they can to obtain a superstar PG like Rondo. While Monroe and Drummond are talented young big men, they aren't as valuable as a PG like Rondo who makes the whole team go and is a floor general. If i'm DA i want salary cap relief (Villanueva/Stuckey), a future #1 pick (rather than Knight), and Drummond or Monroe. Detroit could take their pick of anyone on the roster aside from Olynyk, Sully, Green, Bradley, and Brooks.

NOW YOU ARE BACKPEDALING! ALL THE SUDDEN GREEN ISN'T AVAIL?????  YOU WERE GOING TO THROW HIM AWAY AND LABELED HIM AS A "BLOATED CONTRACT" THREE DAYS AGO!  THEN YOU TRY TO (WEAKLY) CALL ME OUT FOR BEING A FLIPFLOPPER ON ANOTHER THREAD?????  YOU ARE WEAK WEAK WEAK!!

AND YOUR PROFILE PIC IS THE LAMEST MOST FEMININE THING IVE EVER SEEN DUDE! GO AWAY!

[/QUOTE]

well, i never said Green was untouchable. i just wouldn't have included him in a deal for monroe, #1 pick, and stuckey... BUT, since i included knight in a later proposal, i also included Green. what's feminine is how emotional and upset you are over a basketball forum.. Cool relax, kid.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

followed you? lol yikes! knight and green have identical stats, only knight makes about $5M less, but thanks for sharing your opinion.

try not to take yourself and this forum so seriously, it's not worth being upset over.

23. This post has been removed.