If Embiid slips to #6, do we pick him?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: If Embiid slips to #6, do we pick him?

If he slips to 6, which I don't think he will, you have to take him. 

I'm assuming Love will be at Golden State by then.

So you make the move, and hope for the freakin' best.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to prakash's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to teejaytee70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to CeltsFanInNH's comment:

[QUOTE]

So Yao and Bill Walton had the navicular stress fracture and never played to their potentials after. Are there any NBA players that had this problem and recovered to play well long and after?

[/QUOTE]

Medical technology of the 1980s is very different from what we have now.

[/QUOTE]

Yao Ming wasn't the 80's.  Foot stress fractures tend to be chronic.  O.K.  If he dropped a bowling ball on his foot and broke a bone, then I'd say no big deal.  If this is something that just occurred from running up and down the court, then that's a different story.  If that's what happened, then it points to something more ominous - like genetic or poor physiology.  Not everyone can run up and done the court every day - some people's feet just can't take that pounding.

[/QUOTE]

Embiid is not as big and heavy as Yao Ming.  And Ilgauskas, who was a big man did play out 8-9 seasons after this injury.  If Embiid has weak bones, and he will take 6-9 months to recover, put him some kind of treatment plan to harden the bones.  I will take the chance.

[/QUOTE]

"....put him some kind of treatment plan to harden the bones."  Wow.  It's just that easy?  How about a foot transplant instead?  Or maybe we can just rewrite his entire genetic code?  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

We absolutely, positively cannot come out of this draft with nothing at all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

after reading about this type of injury in NBA big men, I have to say we should pass at #6.

he'll need the entire rookie year to recover and some say surgery is NOT the proper way to strengthen the foot.

more importantly this type of injury is more often than not chronic in big men. meaning at best his career will be cut shot, at worst it may never happen at all.

now if he drops to #17, then yeah I take the chance there, but I couldn't do it at #6.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

If he falls I wonder if a team would offer a decent player to trade up...maybe a phoenix for multiple picks...get the benefit of him falling without the risk of his health failing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

I say no....too fragile.

There are other players in the draft that can help.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If you could do it all over again and had the number 1 pick would you take Greg Oden over Kevin Durant?

Didn't think so, what good is a player who will never play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he falls I wonder if a team would offer a decent player to trade up...maybe a phoenix for multiple picks...get the benefit of him falling without the risk of his health failing.

[/QUOTE]

Sherrod Blakely is reporting that the Celtics are willing to move up to pick him.  How anyone knows for sure without more careful medical determination at this point is beyond me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

According to Dr. Kenneth Hunt, an Assistant Professor of Orthopedics at Stanford, a stress fracture in a navicular bone is "a classic overuse injury" found often in basketball and volleyball players.

"The most common treatment is to make small incisions to place one or two screws across the fracture to stabilize it," Hunt said. "If the fracture is displaced, a bone graft can accelerate healing."

Hunt noted that despite the high profile examples of athletes who have battled recurrences of a navicular fracture, "the healing rates of this fracture are high."

"The majority of these injuries will heal completely," Hunt said. "Getting to it early is a good prognostic sign. In his case, it appears it was treated early and appropriately. In the cases I have seen, the athletes that have recurrent fractures have high arches and stiff feet. They can develop large spurs in the adjacent bones. But again, to the majority of athletes this will heal and not be an issue in the future."

As for recovery time, Hunt said that players generally resume basketball activities in 4-6 months and are ready to play in nine months, though in some cases it can be closer to a year.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140619/joel-embiid-stress-fracture-2014-nba-draft/#ixzz35BriWE3O

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I can't see him slipping, but if he does, it's worth the shot.  He is a high upside guy if healthy.  Big if I know. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Take Nurkic and don't look back!

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

I feel sorry for Danny Ainge. Embiid is a HUGE RISK, HUGE REWARD player.  If he heals well, the team that drafts him will instant contenders. If he doesn't heal or has brittle bones, you will have wasted a draft pick. If he falls to the teens there is no doubt that you get him. Selecting him with a top 10 pick may not be the best move.  Because Boston is loaded with draft picks, the Celtics can take that chance. If another team drafts Embiid before Boston, they would be foolish indeed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

For me, even without the injuries, Embiid is not a sure thing.  He is very young and raw with tons of obvious potential.  He is a project, at least the first few years.  I don't think he will be a bust but the question is where exactly is his ceiling.  He's no David Robinson or Tim Duncan when they came out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

I figure that Embiid will be having a bone scan. For his sake, I hope that he doesn't have the bones of an 80 year old woman as it currently appears. If Boston were to select him, I hope that he doesn't turn out to be another Bradley, constantly sidelined with injuries...I love the talent but dang that risk in getting him, I don't know if he is worth it. I am sick of Lebron James and the Heat. Boston needs to get back on top.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

So Yao and Bill Walton had the navicular stress fracture and never played to their potentials after. Are there any NBA players that had this problem and recovered to play well long and after?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yao Ming wasn't the 80's.  Foot stress fractures tend to be chronic.  O.K.  If he dropped a bowling ball on his foot and broke a bone, then I'd say no big deal.  If this is something that just occurred from running up and down the court, then that's a different story.  If that's what happened, then it points to something more ominous - like genetic or poor physiology.  Not everyone can run up and done the court every day - some people's feet just can't take that pounding.

[/QUOTE]

Embiid is not as big and heavy as Yao Ming.  And Ilgauskas, who was a big man did play out 8-9 seasons after this injury.  If Embiid has weak bones, and he will take 6-9 months to recover, put him some kind of treatment plan to harden the bones.  I will take the chance.

[/QUOTE]

"....put him some kind of treatment plan to harden the bones."  Wow.  It's just that easy?  How about a foot transplant instead?  Or maybe we can just rewrite his entire genetic code?  

[/QUOTE]

+1 lol

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

In response to billge's comment:

[QUOTE]

In the eighties they said , in 40 years we will be able to fix this.  Now they say, in 10 years we will be able to fix this

So medical technology has come a long way ... just not far enough!

I agree !

JUST SAY NO to drafting(or trading for) guys who may miss the season with a broken foot ......

NO MORE Raef LaRfenz or Theo Ratliffs !!!

Ya gotta get bang for the buck with that #6 pick !

[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL!  I am not an expert but there should be some kind of therapy to assist in bone healing.  Steroids are often used to accelerate healing but they have an adverse effect on bones.  Don't know the relationship between hormones and bones.  I am hoping that there is something.

Perhaps the Wolverine plan?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

if he falls to 6th...i'd take him anytime...no and's if's or but's...this guy is to good to pass up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Embiid has Avian Bone Syndrome.

Hollow bones.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if he falls to 6th...i'd take him anytime...no and's if's or but's...this guy is to good to pass up.

[/QUOTE]

I would seriously think about it to be honest. Depends whats on the board. If Gordon or Vonleh are there... tough to think you may take the big man who is always hurt over a couple athletes... In the end I'd take Embiid but I'd think long and hard

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great idea fellas!!!

I've been working on this for the past few hours or so.

Could use some help maybe.

Volunteers?

So far... this is what I have... the gene related to baby hook shot mastery....  or maybe eye color... hard to know for sure. 

Pretty good, huh?

Any idea what exactly we are looking for?

Pud

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I'm torn....I understand what raider and joepats are saying.  If DA trades DOWN, we'll know he's torn as well, IMO.  If he trades UP, then he is confident the kid will be a stud.

Now, if he does neither.....and we pick at 6..assuming he is there (and I don't think he will be), I would say we have to take him.  But, if he is gone (#4), as much as I like Gordon or Smart, I think we have to take Vonleh.....or the Wild Card - Nurkic!  Kid is huge, a legit C, and could play right away.  Isn't that what we want from a #6 pick?  Gordon?  We'd have to trade Green.  Smart?  We'd have to trade Rondo.  Vonleh or Nurkic......that's my call if Embiid is gone.

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great idea fellas!!!

I've been working on this for the past few hours or so.

Could use some help maybe.

Volunteers?

So far... this is what I have... the gene related to baby hook shot mastery....  or maybe eye color... hard to know for sure. 

Pretty good, huh?

Any idea what exactly we are looking for?

Pud

[/QUOTE]

change the 6th T into a C...there you go!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

The ESPN home page has an article/video....in it I believe they said that MJ had the same surgery during his second year in the league

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11113739/2014-nba-draft-joel-embiid-screws-inserted-foot-surgery

THE DUKE