IF Josh Smith, then...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondorondo. Show hondorondo's posts

IF Josh Smith, then...

are we rebuilding? Obviously if KG returns the answer is "no". However, what would a Josh Smith signing likely translate into for Bass, Terry, Lee and others? IMO, if we have JS AND KG we should see what other deals we could work to make us a possible contender no matter how remote.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: IF Josh Smith, then...

...then be prepared to be perpetually good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to really contend.  This is a deaprture from doing a proper rebuild.  Like Jeff Green, if Smith is your top 1-2 player, you just aren't that good.  Smith/Green as 3rd-4th best player?  Then maybe you're on to something. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The C's would still have an extra SG and PF but need a pure backup PG, wing who can shoot and C to keep KG rested.

This would indeed mean the team wanted to compete next year and not completely rebuild. Not wise considering the Heat, Bulls and Pacers would all remain better. But if the right moves can be made the C's can eaily leapfrog the Knicks/Nets (Hawks are lotto bound w/o Smith) and put a scare into someone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I'd be wondering about Jeff Green.

I just don't see how Green, Smith, Sullinger and Bass can all be on the same team. Would you really be able to play Green and Smith at the same time?

IF you are able to retain KG, and do a S&T with Bass&Lee to get a scoring SG who can switch to PG, this would be an interesting line-up:

Rondo, Williams

Ellis ; Bradley ; Jet

Green ; Smith

Smith ; Sullinger

KG ; Rookie ; Melo; Vet Min

Personally, I'd like to see the trade exception from a PP to CLE trade be used in part to sign Millsap, not Smith.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

we need a young 2 who can shoot. maybe we find that in the draft. but imagine a lineup (yes, it's small) of KG in the middle, smith and green at the F positions, and a shooter (like a ledo or muhammad maybe?) spreading the floor for rondo. we still need a big to split time with KG. we still need a backup PG. but it's a start. i'm more interesting in who's going to coach this team.

i also think KG could keep smith and rondo grounded...hopefully...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

If they are going to give Smith the type of money that he will command the Celt's have to go all in or face what so many fear.  NBA mediocrity.

Personally I do believe that a team with Smith, Rondo, and Green could compete against the likes of Chicago, Indiana, and a quickly aging Miami team.  But it would probably take a year to fully gel and another one to find the right peices to compliment properly.  And a serious commitment from everybody.

I think the first order of business would have to be to replace Bradley with a high % shooter at the 2.  Bradley would be a perfect defensive/energy guy off the bench, who shouldn't need to worry about scoring at all.  Using KG in a trade or money left over from his retirement buyout to get a Korver, Mayo, Reddick type player.  Anybody that can hit an open jumper!

Then IMO you have to get a very good defensive center who doesn't care if he scores at all. Josh Smith is an above average defender, but cannot be your defensive anchor.  

From my viewpoint Smith is a good defender like Rondo is a good defender, they make flashy defensive plays but alot of time it's their man who's getting into the lane or wide open on the wings.  If there is a human eraser backing them up, look out.  Drafting Dieng, Adams, Plumlee, or Gobert could fill that spot.  Or try to pick up Dalembert or even Steamer could be enough.

And lastly but most important, the owner must PUT UP OR SHUT UP!  Don't go get a borderline all-star like Smith,  keep Rondo/Green just to pacify us, then cheap out on getting the peices around them.  (That is basically what happened to this team, after the Championship.  Owners complaining about the cap, trying to find bargains, when there were 6-8 teams spending 10-20mil more!)

Spend as much money as the top level teams do and put together a group of snipers that can run with the big boys! 

Otherwise don't even bother getting our hopes up that you are trying to put together a "team that could contend".  Just blow it up and pray for a high pick in '14.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I agree I agree. Get Smith, then get a scoring 2 guard!:

Rondo, Williams

Ellis, Bradley, Terry

Green

Smith, Sullinger

KG, Melo, Rookie

Ellis or Reddick. Trade Bass & Lee to get one of them. Give them the CLE pick, or picks, or even use the Clipps pick from 2015. The above team is one that COULD compete in the East.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

If Smith was Boston bound, I wouldnt trade Rondo. I would actually find a backup PG that could give Rondo some business over at practice. And work it from there...Trading Rondo to get Smith breaks what we want to see, a running bunch..and just for the sake of keeping the two motivated, they have to be together.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:

we need a young 2 who can shoot. maybe we find that in the draft. but imagine a lineup (yes, it's small) of KG in the middle, smith and green at the F positions, and a shooter (like a ledo or muhammad maybe?) spreading the floor for rondo. we still need a big to split time with KG. we still need a backup PG. but it's a start. i'm more interesting in who's going to coach this team.

Our 2 shooter has to be a vet.(Bradley is not the answer)..rooks are not gonna bring it in the playoffs...

We cant' waste any Kg years...the rook can be a back up 2...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to hondorondo's comment:

are we rebuilding? Obviously if KG returns the answer is "no". However, what would a Josh Smith signing likely translate into for Bass, Terry, Lee and others? IMO, if we have JS AND KG we should see what other deals we could work to make us a possible contender no matter how remote.

So How about KG, J-Smoove, Uncle Jeff, D-Cousins, and D-will at point with the intent of trying to get that PG who fits best. Gotta get SAC to do a Rondo for D-Cousins plus transaction..........crazy???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4413148. Show user_4413148's posts

Smith Rondo Green is only good if you have shooting. If KG could come back and even play like he did last year they could make a run because it would be hard to score on them..but they would be stuck in Bucks purgatory 7 8 seed for years and years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

No small lineups, please.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

What about trying to get Kristic back under a new coach.

PG Rondo, Williams/draft pick

SG Bradley, Terry/Veteran pickup

SF Green, Bass/Draft pick

PF J Smith, Sullinger

C KG, Kristic

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

...then be prepared to be perpetually good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to really contend.  This is a deaprture from doing a proper rebuild.  Like Jeff Green, if Smith is your top 1-2 player, you just aren't that good.  Smith/Green as 3rd-4th best player?  Then maybe you're on to something. 

Amen.  I agree wholeheartedly.  Do a proper rebuild.  Atlanta didn't go anywhere with Josh Smith.  My ultimate nightmare signing Josh Smith and drafting Shabazz.  Each capable of routinely putting up 6-20 nights, so that makes alot of 12-40 nights.  Get ready for some very ugly basketball.  I'm happy with Sully as my starting power forward.  His game is beautiful to watch.  If he's the starting power forward this season, I say 16 and 12 average for the season and 55% from the floor.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4413148. Show user_4413148's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

Amen.  I agree wholeheartedly.  Do a proper rebuild.  Atlanta didn't go anywhere with Josh Smith.  My ultimate nightmare signing Josh Smith and drafting Shabazz.  Each capable of routinely putting up 6-20 nights, so that makes alot of 12-40 nights.  Get ready for some very ugly basketball.  I'm happy with Sully as my starting power forward.  His game is beautiful to watch.  If he's the starting power forward this season, I say 16 and 12 average for the season and 55% from the floor.

Sully will never average 16/12 in any season ever. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

What we really need is a young 2 guard who can score.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

The main problem is identical to last year - provided that KG stays - we need a proper 5 hole, back to the basket, rebound machine center.  Until we have a center who will allow KG to slide back to his natural spot at power forward we will have all the fatigue and issues of KG making four rotations on every defensive stance all over again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

it's late and i'm not really inclined at the moment to spell them all out (plus you guys are better at it than me), but consider the lineup iterations if we had a proper center

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

In response to hops29's comment:

If they are going to give Smith the type of money that he will command the Celt's have to go all in or face what so many fear.  NBA mediocrity.

Personally I do believe that a team with Smith, Rondo, and Green could compete against the likes of Chicago, Indiana, and a quickly aging Miami team.  But it would probably take a year to fully gel and another one to find the right peices to compliment properly.  And a serious commitment from everybody.

I think the first order of business would have to be to replace Bradley with a high % shooter at the 2.  Bradley would be a perfect defensive/energy guy off the bench, who shouldn't need to worry about scoring at all.  Using KG in a trade or money left over from his retirement buyout to get a Korver, Mayo, Reddick type player.  Anybody that can hit an open jumper!

Then IMO you have to get a very good defensive center who doesn't care if he scores at all. Josh Smith is an above average defender, but cannot be your defensive anchor.  

From my viewpoint Smith is a good defender like Rondo is a good defender, they make flashy defensive plays but alot of time it's their man who's getting into the lane or wide open on the wings.  If there is a human eraser backing them up, look out.  Drafting Dieng, Adams, Plumlee, or Gobert could fill that spot.  Or try to pick up Dalembert or even Steamer could be enough.

And lastly but most important, the owner must PUT UP OR SHUT UP!  Don't go get a borderline all-star like Smith,  keep Rondo/Green just to pacify us, then cheap out on getting the peices around them.  (That is basically what happened to this team, after the Championship.  Owners complaining about the cap, trying to find bargains, when there were 6-8 teams spending 10-20mil more!)

Spend as much money as the top level teams do and put together a group of snipers that can run with the big boys! 

Otherwise don't even bother getting our hopes up that you are trying to put together a "team that could contend".  Just blow it up and pray for a high pick in '14.

I like some of your thinking here.

however I fear that Garnett will either retire or demand a trade.

we also have a glut of 2 guards already under contract.....so.......

IF the J. Smith rumours are true.

how about we squeeze Cleveland for the #19 pick instead of the #31&33 picks.

we trade Bass and Terry ( or Lee) to Atlanta for Smith in a sign and trade (after Howard leaves them at the alter).

KG retires

Celtics draft Schroeder or Larkin at #16.

Celtics draft Nogueria or Dieng at #19.

Celtics sign Dalembert for about $3-4M

Celtics sign Korver for about $4-5M

I beleive all deals would be fine under the salary cap rules.

New roster:

C- Dalembert

C- Dieng or Noguera

C- Melo

PF- J. Smith

PF- Sullinger

PF-

SF- Green

SF- Korver

SF-

SG- Bradley

SG- Lee (or Terry)

SG- Crawford

PG- Rondo

PG- Larkin or Schroeder

PG-

may need a vet PG to protect against a slow return by Rondo on a one year deal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to red2004sox's comment:

What about trying to get Kristic back under a new coach.

PG Rondo, Williams/draft pick

SG Bradley, Terry/Veteran pickup

SF Green, Bass/Draft pick

PF J Smith, Sullinger

C KG, Kristic

Randolph is better than Kristc.

50 points is deducted from Gryffindor.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TPETTEWAY1. Show TPETTEWAY1's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:

KG IS DONE MOVE ON AND REBUILD .   ITS TIME

Sections
Shortcuts