If KG Retires Should His Jersey (#5) Be Hung In The Rafters?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

If KG Retires Should His Jersey (#5) Be Hung In The Rafters?

KG changed the Cs culture, and helped lead the team deep into the playoffs multiple years, resulting in one championship! 

I am on the fence with this decision! What say you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: If KG Retires Should His Jersey (#5) Be Hung In The Rafters?

Of course

He did more for this franchise than DJ and Max, despite having 1 less title... and if he plays next year he'll have played just as many years as DJ

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

YES

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Yes, Russell, Cowens, Bird and KG, the four most responsible for their teams championships. Take these 4 players away and we may not have any rings!! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I absolutely agree....KG was the face of this franchise from the day he put on Celtic green...!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

A no-brainer!

Pud

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Without question. In the time KG has been here, he has redefined "intensity" for this franchise. He is as loyal and committed to what it means to be a Celtic as any other player ever has been. He exemplifies what we, CELTICS FANS, love to see in the men we cheer for. KG is rare. We can only hope to have another like him to cheer for one day. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

The decision is the Celtics... as its pertains to KGs accomplishments with this team...

PP will get his number retired, no brainer...  RA will get his with some team as well...

but KG was the big stick that changed the Celtics  in every aspect of the team game....brought us a title and kept us in the hunt when he was healthy.... His impact   was felt more than any other player on the C's since Larry came here imo...

No doubt his number should be hanging in TD and in Minn...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

KG changed the Cs culture, and helped lead the team deep into the playoffs multiple years, resulting in one championship! 

Without question. In the time KG has been here, he has redefined "intensity" for this franchise. He is as loyal and committed to what it means to be a Celtic as any other player ever has been. He exemplifies what we, CELTICS FANS, love to see in the men we cheer for. KG is rare. We can only hope to have another like him to cheer for one day. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

Without question. In the time KG has been here, he has redefined "intensity" for this franchise. He is as loyal and committed to what it means to be a Celtic as any other player ever has been. He exemplifies what we, CLELTICS FANS, love to see in the men we cheer for. KG is rare. We can only hope to have another like him to cheer for one day. 

Well stated RallyC!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

YES!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

No

No disrespect to KG , but no.

I think all those #'s need to come down after 20 years anyway...that should be the new rule - retire a number for a generation, then reintroduce it with a young player who best represents a style of play similar to the previous Celtic legend.

I feel strongly about this.

Think about it, no one under the age of 65 has ever even seen Bob Cousy play , shouldn't Rajon Rondo be wearing #15 and wouldn't that be the ultimate sign of respect to both Bob Cousy and Rajon Rondo ?

I've had this idea for years. The Celtics should take down all those jerseys and replace it with a NFL style "Ring Of Honor" with the player's name and number.....have murals of old Celtics legends throughout the concourses of the arena - and sell a ****load of Celtics jerseys ! The marketing possibities are endless.

There are actually players who will never agree to play in Boston because they can't wear their lucky number , I've heard this time and time again over the years and it's a real issue.

I'm serious !

No, KG does not need his #5 hanging from the rafters in Boston. Let Minnesota retire #21 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Given the people they've already honored this way KG should be too.

However, if they had it to do all over again it really should just be about 6 players:

Russ

Cousy

Heinsohn

Havlicek

Sam Jones

Bird

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from darkman20. Show darkman20's posts

If KG gets his Jersy retired, then so should Ray.  Ray was part of the big 3 legacy and deserves just as much as KG.   It would look odd if we saw KG and Pierce up there in the rafters without Ray beside them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

If Maxwell's jersey is up there, then KG is a no-brainer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

They should retire names and not numbers.  It's getting stupid with the Celtics who have so many retired numbers that the honor has almost become ridiculous.  I loved Reggie Lewis and it certainly was tragic, but 35 should not be in the rafters.  Maxwell and Don Nelson shouldn't be up there either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

They should retire names and not numbers.  It's getting stupid with the Celtics who have so many retired numbers that the honor has almost become ridiculous.  I loved Reggie Lewis and it certainly was tragic, but 35 should not be in the rafters.  Maxwell and Don Nelson shouldn't be up there either.

I have to agree... should only be special players...legendary types.. but hey, they look at the hall of fames for the big sports, they got announcers, photographers..probably a ball boy soon

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

That is a great idea!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Let Minny retire his number.......

Thank you for your years of service KG here in Boston, but his most productive years were in Minny.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

A no-brainer!

Pud

Took the words out of my mouth.

No-brainer

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

Yes.

The Timberwolves should retire #21 as well seeing he's the greatest player in the team history. 

As others have said, the Celtics have retired a lot of numbers. Some more deserving than others. Lewis and Nelson come to mind. 

Regarding Maxwell. He does have a finals MVP. And he did carry the Celtics in game 7 in 1984. Certainly does have a legitimate claim for being honoured by the Celtics. 

Garnett is the reason for the Celtics being a play-off force again. All the success since 2008 can be attributed to Garnett. His very presence changed the team. Not too many guys have that sort of impact. Not only in a basketball sense. But he more importantly changed the mentality of the team. 

I don't believe that Allen should have his number retired in Boston. Of the other Celtics from the era only Peirce is a lock for having his number retired.

I'd love to see the Lakers retire Coopers number but I can't see it happening. Which is a genuine shame. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

In response to Skins and Heart's comment:

Yes.

The Timberwolves should retire #21 as well seeing he's the greatest player in the team history. 

As others have said, the Celtics have retired a lot of numbers. Some more deserving than others. Lewis and Nelson come to mind. 

Regarding Maxwell. He does have a finals MVP. And he did carry the Celtics in game 7 in 1984. Certainly does have a legitimate claim for being honoured by the Celtics. 

Garnett is the reason for the Celtics being a play-off force again. All the success since 2008 can be attributed to Garnett. His very presence changed the team. Not too many guys have that sort of impact. Not only in a basketball sense. But he more importantly changed the mentality of the team. 

I don't believe that Allen should have his number retired in Boston. Of the other Celtics from the era only Peirce is a lock for having his number retired.

I'd love to see the Lakers retire Coopers number but I can't see it happening. Which is a genuine shame. 

Lakers have always valued offense more than defense,  IMO.  Too bad, as Cooper was  as good as they come with D.

25. This post has been removed.