If OKC does not go all the way...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: If OKC does not go all the way...

Regarding Bynum/Perk.. I havent looked at or remember the stats... which usually only tell part of the story.

What I do recall is the Lakers having their way in the paint... be it scoring, rebounding etc.  Perk was not effective in controlling that area..

Maybe Bynum/Gasol had great rebounding stats, maybe not... but I do know if they didnt actually get the rebound, they were playing volleyball with it until someone else grabbed it. We lost the battle in the paint and to suggest Perk is OKCs solution to the Laker bigs just ignores history.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: If OKC does not go all the way...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: If OKC does not go all the way... : In 2007 the 67-15 Dallas Mavs, the #1 seed, got beat the by #8 seed Warriors.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NBA_Playoffs#.281.29_Dallas_Mavericks_vs._.288.29_Golden_State_Warriors The biggest shocker of the tournament came in the first round, when the  Denver Nuggets  came back from a 2-0 deficit to defeat the  Seattle SuperSonics  in 5 games, marking the first time in NBA history that an 8th-seeded team had defeated a top seed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_NBA_Playoffs
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

I am really not surprised that Dallas would lose no matter what seed they are.  They aren't usually very good in the playoffs.   They seem to be doing ok during this series.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Make it to the finals or not, we are a better team after the Trade and I like Perk but Perk is being outplayed by one of his teammates in OC , Ubaka or something like that.   Thanks for the last three years and next year, goes to Danny Ainge and Doc Rivers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I dont want to discount what Perkins brings to a team, but I will discount what he brought to this team.

M point is....sort of like the Patriots who were stacked with veterans with leadership, we were able to let go key players and still have success.  The western conference is a track meet of teams who get up and down and try to outscore each other.  Now look at how Memphis and OKC have changed the tide with players like Allen and Perk who were expendable here.  Its a case of, yes Perk was valuble, but not more than K.G., Ray or Paul who all have enough leadership and experience to offset the loss of Perk.

Now if you play for a western team that doesnt take defense serious and perk comes in and changes the attitude and makes guys accountable..its a win for OKC, but also a win for us...because we got our bckup for Paul and future star, and we are still # 1 in defense because our philosophy is still the same and we still have our core who know how to defend.  All that was needed was for JON to come along and learn the system, and now we havent missed a beat.  Dito for Tony Allen in Memphis.

Just like when the pats traded Vrabel.....he hasnt looked spectactular there, but he has he changed the culture and the Pats didnt miss him cuz billicheck is still there preaching the philosophy with Wilfork, Mayo, etc...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Lets bear in mind that if bynum was only 30% (an absurd number) then perkins was 50% at best by the end of last year's playoffs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Noone mentions that with Perk injuring his other knee after 3 weeks...he was a risk to count on as well.  He is playing limited minutes for OKC and seems to still be struggling getting up and down the court.  With JO's knee getting scoped, they probably figured Jo's new knee would perform better than Perks 2 bad knees.  So far, its a good gamble...win/win for both sides.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The Lakers have the easiest draw of any team this year.  The number one spurs draw the grizzlies and even in the next round the Lakers get Dallas or Portland.  They could lose to one of them but most like they get by and play the winner of the two best teams in the west right now OKC or Memphis.  The Lakers could not beat either right now. They will have to hope for Memphis and Okc to kill each other and play the survivor.

The Lakers this year are still lucky but they are not good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Maybe,

However, Danny had a flush, and he decided discard one card to go for a strait-flush. The players are still at the table, and until the finals, we won't know if he drew the winning card, or gave away the winning hand.

While I have to admit that it is looking good so far, the true test is still coming.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Aslanb0ynn. Show Aslanb0ynn's posts

Spurs gonna win in 7... just like the 2006 phoenix - Lakers series and the 2004 Piston - Magic series...  and please don't kid yourself thinking that the lakers are done again this year after 2-2...  they did the same exact thing last year and plus all they had to do in NO was taking back the home court adv. and they did that... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Yeah, but last year they played a good team.  The team they're playing this year (IMO obviously) isnt' nearly as good as the thunder was last year.  Minus west they should be an easy out.  You could just tell LA was playing better last year...visually you could tell.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]Spurs gonna win in 7... just like the 2006 phoenix - Lakers series and the 2004 Piston - Magic series...  and please don't kid yourself thinking that the lakers are done again this year after 2-2...  they did the same exact thing last year and plus all they had to do in NO was taking back the home court adv. and they did that... 
    Posted by Aslanb0ynn[/QUOTE]

Who made this about the lakers?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Aslan,
    You are a new guy to the board who were you yesterday, Rico Celtic, Qdaddy? I think you are a transitional troll.  If the Lakers win the series you disappear and become one of old more established trolls.  You sound like Qdaddy but you are only about two people in total to begin with.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Aslanb0ynn. Show Aslanb0ynn's posts

[QUOTE]Aslan, You are a new guy to the board who were you yesterday, Rico Celtic, Qdaddy? I think you are a transitional troll.  If the Lakers win the series you disappear and become one of old more established trolls.  You sound like Qdaddy but you are only about two people in total to begin with.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Bro... i'm not the same person as Qdaddy or any other guy that you mentioned above...  I've been posting on and off, with the same sn on this board since last year's final.  Because i thought this board is fun and much more "interesting" than others. I've also been posting here after the lakers lost and won through out the year.  I am a Lakers fan but my intention on here is not to "troll" or boast anything about Kobe or the Lakers.  I speak from my point of view   whether it is against them or not and that's just how i am.  I don't like the Celts in a competitive stand point but i most definitely respect them as an organization.  And you better believe that i will be rooting for the Cs against the Heats. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

[QUOTE]I dont want to discount what Perkins brings to a team, but I will discount what he brought to this team. M point is....sort of like the Patriots who were stacked with veterans with leadership, we were able to let go key players and still have success.  The western conference is a track meet of teams who get up and down and try to outscore each other.  Now look at how Memphis and OKC have changed the tide with players like Allen and Perk who were expendable here.  Its a case of, yes Perk was valuble, but not more than K.G., Ray or Paul who all have enough leadership and experience to offset the loss of Perk. Now if you play for a western team that doesnt take defense serious and perk comes in and changes the attitude and makes guys accountable..its a win for OKC, but also a win for us...because we got our bckup for Paul and future star, and we are still # 1 in defense because our philosophy is still the same and we still have our core who know how to defend.  All that was needed was for JON to come along and learn the system, and now we havent missed a beat.  Dito for Tony Allen in Memphis. Just like when the pats traded Vrabel.....he hasnt looked spectactular there, but he has he changed the culture and the Pats didnt miss him cuz billicheck is still there preaching the philosophy with Wilfork, Mayo, etc...
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Jay,
    Good points. Just wanted to say that Perk is not a player of KG caliber: he can't change a team's attitude, especially coming there in the middle of the season.

AK

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Def. not the caliber of a K.G. but going by what his teamates think and coming from east to west, OKC def. has to play better "D" or fall victim to the scoul of Kendrick. I will atleast give him this,   I think they will listen to him because he has a ring.  It wont be the change we saw when K.G. got here, but I think in the west, it will be good enough.  How else do you explain 2 teams like OKC and Memphis looking like the teams to beat this year all of a sudden?  Anyway...I think it helps OKC a little, but only because they were just a track team before he got there...I will admit Memphis did already have Battier and M.Gasol who are good defenders....Tony just makes them tougher... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Def. not the caliber of a K.G. but going by what his teamates think and coming from east to west, OKC def. has to play better "D" or fall victim to the scoul of Kendrick. I will atleast give him this,   I think they will listen to him because he has a ring.  It wont be the change we saw when K.G. got here, but I think in the west, it will be good enough.  How else do you explain 2 teams like OKC and Memphis looking like the teams to beat this year all of a sudden?  Anyway...I think it helps OKC a little, but only because they were just a track team before he got there...I will admit Memphis did already have Battier and M.Gasol who are good defenders....Tony just makes them tougher... 
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Robert Horry has more rings than Michael Jordan, nobody listened to him.... do you want the vacuum cleaner or the powerwasher?  We have wonderful parting gifts, thank you for playing......

You might not have noticed but the west is much better than the east.

How does one see teams like OKC and Memphis being capable of getting to the western conference finals?

Well maybe because they are extremely athletic and young and most of their key players were drafted in the lottery and therefore are the best players in the league..... why is this a question?

Let's see Harden, Westbrook, Durant, Collison..... Conley, Mayo, Gay, etc. 

The alarm is going off.... stop hitting snooze.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

thanks for your input....more evidence that you are a laker fan or some other kind of fan.  Like I said the West is a track meet and in the East , we play defense and Defense wins championships.    Only reason L.A. beat us last year was poor officiating and tired legs....but we always hold high scoring teams to about 88-93 ppg and thats usually a victory for us.  Its nice to get up and down and score the ball.....good for ticket sales I guess, not much more...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

[QUOTE]OKC and Memphis are both scarry teams. I don't know if I could ever choose Dallas to win. Nowinski has always played  great in the regular season, and has always faded under the pressure of the play-offs.
    Posted by MinnesotaCelticsFan[/QUOTE]

Fist sentence ist true!

Second part is simply wrong!
    Nowitzkis career stats in the play offs are better than in the RS.
    He is extremly clutch (one of the best in the league).
    His teammates (like the immortal Terry) normally choke in the play offs.
    Actually, the Mavs weren`t just not that good in the last years. Without Nowitzki they were hardly a play off team.

A normal Mavs season:
    Dirk takes the Mavs to the play offs on his back.
    And then has to carry even more weight as his teammates dissapear when it matters.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Gas,

sorry but the Mavs always, always fail in the play-offs. Maybe you need to look at field goal percentage instead of points scored. Some guys have to get their points even if it kills the team. Defense generally improves in the play-offs, and jump shooting percentages go down against good defensive teams.

I am sure that Dirk is not always to blame, but I have seen him in action more than once.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Nowitzkis career stats:
    RS:
    FG%    3P%  FT%   RPG PPG
    0.476  0.381 0.877 8.4  23.0

PO:
    0.457 0.375 0.881 10.7 25.6

Thats what you call fading?
    Wonder what you would have said about Pierce without Allen and Garnett joining him in 2007!
    RS:
    FG%    3P%  FT%  RPG  PPG
    0.448  0.369 0.805 6.1  22.2
    PO:
    0.427 0.346 0.822 6.5 21.5

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Heir Gasthoerer,

I think that some of what you say is true, he has had some wilting supporting casts in the past. I think that it is also true that he has also wilted in the past, and that is what I remember. Average statistics sometimes hide the truth.

For example:

2007 play-offs 1st round exit as top seeded team

Game 1 -  4 of 16  25 %  loss

Game 3 -  7 of 16  44%  loss

Game 4 -  9 of 19  48%  loss

Game 6 – 2 of 13  15%  loss

End of series

2008 play-offs first round exit

Game 1 -  9 of 21  43 % loss

Game 3 -  7 of 11  64%  loss

Game 4 -  8 of 18  44%  loss

Game 6 – 8 of 21  38%  loss

End of series

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I personally think the mavs were absolutely jobbed in game 3 of the heat series.  They were well on their way to winning that game and the calls were absolutely blatant.  Miami went on to win, but they needed help in that game for sure.  No help, no game three, no 5th ring for shaq.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Got to agree... I was rooting for the HEat in thoses finals but they got gifted by the refs... Wade was getting calls even Dick Bavetta and Bennett Salvatore would blush at.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

[QUOTE]Average statistics sometimes hide the truth.Posted by MinnesotaCelticsFan[/QUOTE]

Dirk played more than 100 (!) PO games, I would say thats enough sample size.
    You can randomly pick some bad games from any guy in the league to prove that he is a loser. 

Example:
    Finals 2010 Game 7 

PTS FGM-A Reb
    Paul Pierce 18 5-15(!) 10
    Ray Allen    13 3-14(!) 2
    KG             17 8-13  3(!)

Would you call this fading? I wouldn't! Everyone has a bad game. Sometimes you are not healthy, sometimes your are unlucky with the refs, sometimes you just have a bad day. Sometimes the defense is so strong that everyone is shooting poorly. Thats sport...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

If he wins, he will overcome his rep,if not...well...

Sections
Shortcuts