If the Pacers had Rondo...what happens?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: If the Pacers had Rondo...what happens?

GREAT thread- one of the all time greats.  here is what would happen: rondo would be their 50% free throw shooting PG who would induce collapse defenses in the paint and render hibbert useless while managing to take the same 13.7% of the wide open jumpers that he did for the celts. 

also, remember that george and anyone else running screen to try to get open shots will have an EXTRA PERSON sagging around to careen off of and the coach will have to make an extra double back curl for said player to come "open" for a still contested shot as rondo points his fingers and pounds the ball up top.

then, rondo will spray a bit of lysol to cover up his mess, he might get two triple doubles in a series, lots of assists since nobody else touches the ball until SSOL on the shot clock.  also, the new rondo does not run, so any athleticism the pacers have would be nullified.

i think that's it.

nope, wait, deep into a close game, ABR will handle the ball and play point guard- that's ANYBODY BUT RONDO so he does not get fouled and lay eggs at the line.  but rajon is good at inbounding the ball or can go sit bench in a sad manner for these times.  if you do the latter, you risk getting "less" out of him the next game(s)....  Sealed

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

In response to Eldunker's comment:

You are all missing the point (literally)... Miami plays hack a Rondo in the closing minutes and with the worst PG free throw percentage in the NBA, he bricks his free throws AND instead of dishing to George, he dribbles for 20 seconds then heaves and misses his last second three pointers as the clock expires, which of course destroys team/player chemistry.  

With Rondo, Indiana loses 4-1 instead of 4-3.

In fact, I take Hill over Rondo as the Celtics PG.  Its not about assists.  Its about chemistry, good decision making, leadership and ball movement, not to mention a jump shot to keep the defense honest.

Jump Shot?  Keeping the defence honest??   In the finals AND the semi finals Hill shot at about a 38% clip. Try sticking to a little honesty yourself.

You want honesty?  then don't select your stats.

Hill shot 44.3% from the field (not Ronbdo layups) for the ENTIRE season which was FOURTH BEST IN THE NBA for all guards... just behind Steph Curry.

and even though you teed it up for me, I wasn't comparing Hill to Rondo.  I SAID, I would prefer Hill as my PG rather than Rondo.  My point was that the Pacers would have done worse with Rondo because the D could collapse on Hibbert and the middle because Rondo doesn't take jumpers and when he does, he isn't a consistent threat from the outside...not to mention his  horrible free throw percentage that makes a big difference in close games, especially strategy in the closing minutes. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TPETTEWAY1. Show TPETTEWAY1's posts

You are all missing the point (literally)... Miami plays hack a Rondo in the closing minutes and with the worst PG free throw percentage in the NBA, he bricks his free throws AND instead of dishing to George, he dribbles for 20 seconds then heaves and misses his last second three pointers as the clock expires, which of course destroys team/player chemistry.  

In fact, I take Hill over Rondo as the Celtics PG.  Its not about assists.  Its about chemistry, good decision making, leadership and ball movement, not to mention a jump shot to keep the defense honest.

ELDUSCHBAG YOUR NAMe says it all    

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to TPETTEWAY1's comment:

[QUOTE]

ELDUSCHBAG YOUR NAMe says it all    

That was intelligent, informative and mature.  I'm sure the Rondo camp is proud to have you. Speaking of handles, maybe you should shorten yours to just TP, which is more descriptive of the quality of your posts.  LOL.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

Hill shot 44.3% from the field (not Ronbdo layups) for the ENTIRE season which was FOURTH BEST IN THE NBA for all guards... just behind Steph Curry.

and even though you teed it up for me, I wasn't comparing Hill to Rondo.  I SAID, I would prefer Hill as my PG rather than Rondo.  My point was that the Pacers would have done worse with Rondo because the D could collapse on Hibbert and the middle because Rondo doesn't take jumpers and when he does, he isn't a consistent threat from the outside...not to mention his  horrible free throw percentage that makes a big difference in close games, especially strategy in the closing minutes. 

eldunker, rondo doesn't just attempt layups. from 16-23 feet, rondo converted 66 of 138 attempts for 48%. george hill converted 57 of 172 attempts for 33%. so rondo converts this distance shot much better than hill does, and despite playing in half as many games, actually had nine more makes from this distance than hill did.

bp

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:

eldunker, rondo doesn't just attempt layups. from 16-23 feet, rondo converted 66 of 138 attempts for 48%. george hill converted 57 of 172 attempts for 33%. so rondo converts this distance shot much better than hill does, and despite playing in half as many games, actually had nine more makes from this distance than hill did.

bp

I HAVE SEEN IT ALL NOW!!!

rondo has never shot the ball well or often enough from the outside.  nobody respects him whatsoever.  just watch the games and see.  i don't know if you're cherry picking rondo playoff stats where he actually TRIES to shoot the ball outside or ? 

but even with his sandbagging of the reg. season and then "trying harder" for the playoffs he's never pulled it off without going stone cold only thing colder a well digger's behind.  and others have had to handle the ball instead of him in close games.  that does NOT happen if you are a competent shooter of any sort

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

bp

I'm sorry, I don't believe you.  (even if Rondo's shots are uncontested, because nobody bothers to cover him outside, unlike Hill.).  Hill's FG % is documented at 44.3% for the season.  How does your 33% make any sense.  Maybe he missed every layup !! LOL.

Provide a source.  If you can't, your numbers are ficticious as well as ridiculous.    

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

i'm looking at hoopdata reg season 2013 stats, acie. rondo shoots from 16-23 ft much better than george hill. i'm not saying rondo doesn't have quirks and flaws. i am saying if one would rather have another pg than rondo, then geo hill is a weakass choice.

bp

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

I'm sorry, I don't believe you.  (even if Rondo's shots are uncontested, because nobody bothers to cover him outside, unlike Hill.).  Hill's FG % is documented at 44.3% for the season.  How does your 33% make any sense.  Maybe he missed every layup !! LOL.

Provide a source.  If you can't, your numbers are ficticious as well as ridiculous.   

and if i can?

http://hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx

in the Breakdown box, choose Totals. click on Sort button. look in the 16-23 feet category. if you need further directions, say so and i'll walk you right to it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

How shooting %'s can and do lie.

Considering that R9R has never taken a contested jumper (unless the clock is expiring or the quarter ending and the defender might contest a desperation heave just for the heck of it) trying to compare Rondo's midrange game with any other NBA guard is completely inappropriate.

Given Rondo's wide open looks, a competent D Leaguer  would be hitting 80% of those shots while R9R struggles to hit mid forties.... maybe. All the while his defender refuses to honor his shot, rests, clogs the middle or doubles a teammate WHO IS  a threat to score.

My guess is that Rondo will likely retire never having taken a routine, contested  jumper.

His shot is uniquely that bad.

In  a class all by itself.

Pud

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

and if i can?

http://hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx

in the Breakdown box, choose Totals. click on Sort button. look in the 16-23 feet category. if you need further directions, say so and i'll walk you right to it.

First those numbers don't jive with either the Celtics stats or ESPN (Rondo 3pt% was never close to 36% but rather 24% so there is that credibility issue.

But jump shooting isn't only 15-23 feet, which you cherry picked.

Lets put this in perspective...

2012-2013 % stats are similiar to carreer stats for both players.

Rondo - ALL field goal shots (465 attempts of which about HALF or 225 were layups (61%) and only 50 were 3 pt (24%) or a combined FG% of 48%  

Hill FG% (871 attempts of which almost half or 353 were 3pt NOT LAYUPS) =.45%.  

Rondo converts his 4.5 layups (of 9.5 shots per game) at 61% (not that good either) which inpacts and ups his FG percentage dramatically.  Rondo career 3pt percentage is 24.1.  Hill is taking more jump shots presumeably, unlike Rondo is covered, has a career 37.3%.  Oh, and for the record, Rondo's career FT is 62% vs Hill's 81%.  

and for you who think Rondo excells in playoffs, his FG% drops from .481 regular season to .445 in the playoffs... 

To sum it up, From Stoops Basketball:

"However, as many Celtics fans will attest, he tends to miss plenty of big, important layups. According to truhoops.com, Rondo’s average field goal percentage at the rim is about 61% for his career.  Here’s the thing though: Rondo’s lack of a jump shot and poor free throw shooting ability make him more of a one-dimensional player. With the amount of layups Rondo attempts at the rim per game (4.5) versus the shots he takes at, let’s say, 3-9 feet from the basket (1.3), one would think that he could convert more.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

i did cherry pick the 16-23 category because it works well in debunking your uninformed notion that rondo shoots only layups. i didn't say anything about 36% or 3s, where my data shows rondo at 24% as does yours. my sources are fine, eldunker, you just don't care for what they say. big fan of stoops basketball, are you? 

bp

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

i did cherry pick the 16-23 category because it works well in debunking your uninformed notion that rondo shoots only layups. i didn't say anything about 36% or 3s, where my data shows rondo at 24% as does yours. my sources are fine, eldunker, you just don't care for what they say. big fan of stoops basketball, are you? 

bp

Cherry pick or not (desparate, but nice try), you still clearly DID NOT debunk my FACTUAL data, that shows Rondo does shoot mostly layups - again, almost HALF HIS TOTAL SHOTS ARE LAYUPS!!  Only 10% were beyond the ark.     

and not that you need to look up facts.  If you watched the games, read a newspaper, listen to any basketball analyst on the planet, they would tell you and have told you that Rondo can't shoot for crap - that includes both jump shots or free throws.  and in fact 61% layup conversion isn't impressive either.  

As the wise Indian battle saying goes.  When you discover that your horse is dead, its time to dismount"!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Everybody knows that when you sag off Rondo all that does is give him a running start into a high percentage layup or floater or he draws a double and kicks it out or dumps it off. He destroys the defense when you sag off him. That's a fact.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

Everybody knows that when you sag off Rondo all that does is give him a running start into a high percentage layup or floater or he draws a double and kicks it out or dumps it off. He It destroys the defense offense when you sag off him. That's a fact.

Try watching the games.

Pud

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

eldunker, you stated that rondo only shoots layups. my point throughout this dialogue is that this statement is not true and that reliable data shows us that rondo converted 9 more shots (66) from 16-23 feet this past season than hill did and did it in half the number of games played at a 15% higher conversion rate.

now, based on the above, if you want to express here that i'm desperate or that my figurative horse is dead, knock yourself out. but my thought is that my point is soundly made and if you can't concede as much, then you're even more a trifle than i had thought.

bp

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

BP you slammed it! The blinders are on the Doc and Rondo haters.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

If Rondo is an all-star starter by the fans, how do the Rondo haters explain this phenomenon? He's bad for the team right? The fans say he's the best PG in the East.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I wonder how quickly you Rondo lovers will convert to Rondo haters when he is traded for a BIG.     I look forward to your turning on the one-dimentional, petulent, dour, over-rated one...sort of like the way you turned on Ray.  Or maybe some of you just love ballers who can't shoot. 

TRADE RONDO!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

If Rondo is an all-star starter by the fans, how do the Rondo haters explain this phenomenon? He's bad for the team right? The fans say he's the best PG in the East.

You said it yourself, "Rondo and Doc haters".

A person is not considered normal if the first thing he does every morning is bash Doc Rivers.

I don't mean to be mean, but a person is not considered normal if he gets up every morning and posts an average of 8+ posts every single day in this forum or 250 posts every month for 3.5 years... it would suggest that there is some productivity or actual living missing in one's life.

Sections
Shortcuts