If you pray (and are a Celtics fan)...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

If you pray (and are a Celtics fan)...

Don't worry - this is not a sectarian post at all.  And some of you might think it's cheesy, corny, etc.  But right now, I don't know what else to do.  Not that it's a new thing.  The Celtics probably get me to pray more than anything else does lately.  And it's not that I want God to be on anyone's "side" - just to give the Celtics whatever they need to be at their best, which includes getting (Shaq) and staying (everyone else) healthy and to stop beating themselves as they're doing today.

So please feel free to repeat and improve upon this:

Dear God,  
    First of all, I'm grateful to have enough blessings in my life that my biggest worry of this moment is the Boston Celtics.  And furthermore, I'm grateful that you blessed this franchise with the players, coaches and management over the years with the talent and work ethic it took to win 17 championships - an NBA best at the moment, as you know.  Thirdly, thank You for allowing all those pieces to fall into place 3 years ago so that we could not only win #17 but become relevant again after all those hard years.

But I have to ask You for some help on their behalf because right now they are burned out and quickly losing their confidence, which shows big time in their inconsistent play.  We remember how they came into this season with the sole purpose of getting #18.  Then the injuries hit.  First it was just a couple, and we were amazed at how well the team still played.  We fans thought, 'Wait till he gets healthy again... we'll be unstoppable!"  But, well, instead of getting more players healthy we got more injuries.  Then in response, Mr. Ainge (whose faith in You is very strong as You well know) felt forced to make some now infamous trades.  We are for the most part healthy but our emotional and psychological wounds are deep.

So we pray that you heal those wounds so that they can focus more fully on their original goal and regain our confidence that we can achieve it.  Please help us keep that desire rather than lose sight of it, and please let it be contagious to the new guys so that they just as hard as our core group does.  And if there are indeed chemistry issues, please heal those too.  None of the players made those trades themselves and they each deserve the brotherhood ethic that this team has had for most of the past 4 years.

We also pray that you keep our guys healthy for the rest of the year.  Our team may have led the league in injuries and has certainly paid its dues.  We don't want anyone to get injured for that matter, not for the Celtics or anyone else.  And we pray that you heal Shaq's calf injury in time for him to come back and give this team back its mojo.  To be playing a professional sport at 39 takes an incredible amount of desire and dedication.  He's paid his dues this year on injuries and now deserves to thrive in good health.

Speaking of deserve, we realize that's a subjective word and that only You're the true judge of that, but after the Celtics defied all odds last year and proved everyone wrong about them, they came within 1 quarter of winning it all only to have it taken from them by the Perk injury and many questionable foul calls in game 7.   We each have our own series of feelings on whether and to what extent the championship was stolen from us, but we can all agree that it was the ultimate heartbreak, and we can all remember the fight and conviction with which they came into this season.  We ask that you give us the opportunity to get back to that and realize that goal.  We're not asking for special treatment and we're certainly not asking for misfortune to any other team.  But we wouldn't mind a hand because we've had enough adversity to put us at our limit.

We just ask that our guys regain that Celtic pride and that whatever happens, we play at our best and have a fair shot - i.e. no more catastrophes - at winning #18.

And we realize that there are many more pressing problems in the world than this but we have faith that you hear ALL our prayers, both big and small.

We are likely to lose an embarassing game to a rival we all know we should beat.  We thought last week's loss to the Bulls was the season's low point and now this.  Please let there be no more low points.  Please let us just go up from here.

Thank you and Amen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SusanLovesCelts. Show SusanLovesCelts's posts

Re: If you pray (and are a Celtics fan)...

It pains me to say it, but we're finished. I was and still am one of the ones who supported the trade of Perkins but obviously it isn't going to work.  Not because we don't have the pieces but because the players on this team are all acting like a bunch of unprofessional babies since the trade.  And for someone that used to be one of Rondo's biggest backers, I can now see this guy is pure garbage.  How utterly pathetic can he be?  We had a great yet short run and I'll forever be grateful for the one last title after eons of disgrace, but this team is done.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

I'm not a religious person, but I'll hope for the best. All we can do at this point. Who knows, maybe when Shaq comes back that'll spark the team and we'll get on a roll. 

Can't be encouraged by what we saw today, but it's not the end of the world either. 

Here's to hoping.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

I'm more of a spiritual person than anything else.  It just never hurts to ask.  So much was out of our control this season, when you look at it from the perspective that the injuries were the first domino.  No injuries, no big trade, and probably still 2nd in the league...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Amen Kirk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from c.wright. Show c.wright's posts

I pray that Danny Ainge realize that he screwed the team up
    and admits it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

And that's going to help us how?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

i still have faith.

they played bad today. thats all.

I said it before and I'll say it again, ITS ALL ON RONDO. When we win, he is the driving force and gets the love. When we lose, he should get the blame.

yea things are dark now, but I'll pass on panicking and writing them off. 

Today's beatdown could be just what they needed. This is an emotional team and they will have find that fire within themselves and come out blazing in the playoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

I went to church today prayed for the Celts and they lost... what is God trying to tell me .........

*im serious

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

there are way more important things in life to pray for than basketball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

In Response to Re: If you pray (and are a Celtics fan)...:
    I went to church today prayed for the Celts and they lost... what is God trying to tell me ......... *im serious
    Posted by KGLove

that religion and sports dont mix. good effort though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I'm sure there were Miami fans praying too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

In Response to If you pray (and are a Celtics fan)...:
    Don't worry - this is not a sectarian post at all.  And some of you might think it's cheesy, corny, etc.  But right now, I don't know what else to do.  Not that it's a new thing.  The Celtics probably get me to pray more than anything else does lately.  And it's not that I want God to be on anyone's "side" - just to give the Celtics whatever they need to be at their best, which includes getting (Shaq) and staying (everyone else) healthy and to stop beating themselves as they're doing today. So please feel free to repeat and improve upon this: Dear God,   First of all, I'm grateful to have enough blessings in my life that my biggest worry of this moment is the Boston Celtics.  And furthermore, I'm grateful that you blessed this franchise with the players, coaches and management over the years with the talent and work ethic it took to win 17 championships - an NBA best at the moment, as you know.  Thirdly, thank You for allowing all those pieces to fall into place 3 years ago so that we could not only win #17 but become relevant again after all those hard years. But I have to ask You for some help on their behalf because right now they are burned out and quickly losing their confidence, which shows big time in their inconsistent play.  We remember how they came into this season with the sole purpose of getting #18.  Then the injuries hit.  First it was just a couple, and we were amazed at how well the team still played.  We fans thought, 'Wait till he gets healthy again... we'll be unstoppable!"  But, well, instead of getting more players healthy we got more injuries.  Then in response, Mr. Ainge (whose faith in You is very strong as You well know) felt forced to make some now infamous trades.  We are for the most part healthy but our emotional and psychological wounds are deep. So we pray that you heal those wounds so that they can focus more fully on their original goal and regain our confidence that we can achieve it.  Please help us keep that desire rather than lose sight of it, and please let it be contagious to the new guys so that they just as hard as our core group does.  And if there are indeed chemistry issues, please heal those too.  None of the players made those trades themselves and they each deserve the brotherhood ethic that this team has had for most of the past 4 years. We also pray that you keep our guys healthy for the rest of the year.  Our team may have led the league in injuries and has certainly paid its dues.  We don't want anyone to get injured for that matter, not for the Celtics or anyone else.  And we pray that you heal Shaq's calf injury in time for him to come back and give this team back its mojo.  To be playing a professional sport at 39 takes an incredible amount of desire and dedication.  He's paid his dues this year on injuries and now deserves to thrive in good health. Speaking of deserve, we realize that's a subjective word and that only You're the true judge of that, but after the Celtics defied all odds last year and proved everyone wrong about them, they came within 1 quarter of winning it all only to have it taken from them by the Perk injury and many questionable foul calls in game 7.   We each have our own series of feelings on whether and to what extent the championship was stolen from us, but we can all agree that it was the ultimate heartbreak, and we can all remember the fight and conviction with which they came into this season.  We ask that you give us the opportunity to get back to that and realize that goal.  We're not asking for special treatment and we're certainly not asking for misfortune to any other team.  But we wouldn't mind a hand because we've had enough adversity to put us at our limit. We just ask that our guys regain that Celtic pride and that whatever happens, we play at our best and have a fair shot - i.e. no more catastrophes - at winning #18. And we realize that there are many more pressing problems in the world than this but we have faith that you hear ALL our prayers, both big and small. We are likely to lose an embarassing game to a rival we all know we should beat.  We thought last week's loss to the Bulls was the season's low point and now this.  Please let there be no more low points.  Please let us just go up from here. Thank you and Amen.
    Posted by MsLithium21

I like the attempt, but I don't God cares about basketball much.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

First of all, as I said this is not a religious or sectarian thread.

Maybe I put this up because I grew up in Buffalo and saw people like Frank Reich talk about how prayer helped him - for example back in '93 when the Bills were behind 35-3 in the 3rd quarter against the Houston Oilers before coming back to eventually win it.  Not that it put the Oilers at a handicap but that it gave him and his teammates strength, which is really what I was praying for, which you'd all know IF you actually read the whole thread.  Yes, I realize I can be a little verbal, but that comes from my passion for what I write about.

Or maybe because I'm also a Red Sox fan and remember hearing how Curt Schilling talked about how prayer gave him the strength to pitch on that bloody sock ankle.  Not to win or even pitch well, but to be able to pitch period.  Which is in many ways what I'm asking for here.

If you don't like the thread you can just not respond and it will fade away.

If you'd actually read all of what I wrote, you'd see this goes beyond winning and losing and is about wanting people to having strength in the face of adversity.

Yes, there are more important things to be praying about - which again I acknowledge twice in my original piece.  But for all the time we spend writing and thinking about this team, there are a lot more important things in life.

I for one kept them at arm's length for years.  I followed them but wouldn't get emotionally invested because I just knew how it would turn out.  This started when the Pistons beat us for the Eastern Conference in '88 and didn't really end until the 1st game I saw in Fall '07 with the new Big 3 intact.  The only reason I remain emotionally invested now is that what they did - and then endured - last year transcended sports.  They did what all the experts thought they couldn't do, and then they vindicated those "experts" by coming up short.  I have to believe I am not the only one here who connected with them on that level last year and for that reason wanted #18 for them this year with such a passion.

But say what you want, and even ignore me if you'd like.  The negativity on this board is so bad that I might not be posting on such a regular basis much longer.  It's bad enough to see what this team has done to itself...  If someone told me 9 months ago this would happen I would not have believed it.

So long...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

yea people missed the point of this by a long shot.

the poster said, "if the only bad thing is the Celtics losing, im luck.."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

and speaking of luck...

I'll be a trustin ye ol Garden leprechauns as opposed to prayin to god.  Historically, they are much more effective and trust they will be out in full force for these playoffs

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Whatever it takes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbrann. Show mbrann's posts

C's are tired, physically and mentally. And they have another B2B tommorow night (why do we get two B2Bs in a row?). They have now been humbled by Chicago and Miami. But when they are rested and they get Shaq back, they will be angry and focused. They will sweep the first round of the playoffs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

And I hope they also sweep the Heat in the 2nd round!  Keep 'em rested for those tough series against the Bulls and Lakers.  Smile

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts