in 3 years the celts will be in the lottery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakerman17. Show Lakerman17's posts

Re: in 3 years the celts will be in the lottery

People are judging Miami on the strength of 3/4 of a season. I think the Heat management are smart enough to realize that should LBJ get knocked out again, they go after a high profile coach to get them over the top.

Whether that's Doc, the Zenmaster or whoever, at the end of the day living in Florida with a team with that talent and a salary to match would make anyone forget 'loyalty'.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

For NBA Coaches, they don't really get to "live" where the team is based.  They spend so much time on the road that they're rarely "home" and then they go to their real home in the off season. 

So, that's not going to sway one of them to go.   I agree that the Heat would go after a big name.  But, Doc would never do it.  Phil might see it as his next "challenge" so he might try it.  He has always liked to coach after the team has some big stars and doesn't like coaching teams that are on the downswing (Bulls) nor if they are just developing talent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to Re: in 3 years the celts will be in the lottery:
    In Response to Re: in 3 years the celts will be in the lottery : I know addiction is very difficult to overcome but you have to start somewhere, so put the crack pipe down.......  when the big 3 go Rondo will never get a sniff at an all-star game again.  I think Wall and Rose will be the all-stars for as long as they stay in the eastern conference.  There is nobody else on the roster that will ever develop into an all-star and most would not even start on even mediocre teams.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

I respect the fact that you have an opinion.  I know you were only joking, but I am against the use of illegal drugs.  Also if my memory serves me correctly, you have been anti-Rondo in the past.  Like I said, its your right to have an opinion, which is that Rondo only looks good because the Big Three make him look that way.  I disagree.  For different specific qualities that I have enumerated upon in past posts I believe Rondo is an all-star.  He has A+ quickness and can drive to score or dish off.  Some games he is a major scoring threat.  Also, for some years now he gets a very high number of assists.  Further, I believe for 2 years he has made NBA All-Defensive teams.  However, he's not perfect.  Wall and Rose are probablly not either. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Jerry West had nothing to do with the Pau Gasol trade to L.A. He had already left Memphis. That trade was all about a floundering franchise trying to save money, pure and simple. And Pau Gasol had never won a playoff series while in Memphis. Gasol was a quality power forward but the atmosphere in L.A. is what helped push him over-the-top.

That's the system in the NBA. Only 4 teams are making a profit this season (Lakers, Clippers, Oklahoma, & I forget the 4th) and Stern is talking about contraction rather than expansion. When Ray Allen came to Boston, it was all about saving money for the now defunct Sonics. 

Owners with money have the advantage. This is how Mark Cuban built a power-house in Dallas. I don't like it but without the ability of players to be traded or leave, the Lakers, Boston would not be in the hunt. I don't like the NBA system but that's the way it is. We are witnessing a rising Heat team because 3 players colluded with each other to game the system. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

In Response to Re: in 3 years the celts will be in the lottery : Learn how the salary cap works, then you can rethink your post.  You can't just sign max contract players to replace your stars. 
    Posted by TheDUDDER
    I never said anything about limiting the team's options to signing maximum contract players. I'm just talking about the financial flexibility the Celtics will have in pursuing veteran free agents once the salaries of Garnett, Pierce and Allen are off the books. I'm aware that the combined salaries of the Big Three coming off the books do not equal available cap space.  Learn to read within the context of the poster's statements.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: in 3 years the celts will be in the lottery : Always a chance, huh, because he only lives 3.5 hrs north of Miami, I think.  But, I believe Doc is very close to Danny and the players.  I believe he'd just stop coaching for a while before he jumped from the Celts to a rival.  If they ever fired him.....all bets would be off. I also think Doc is very much a "team first" coach.   San Antonio, LA (when Kobe is under control), Boston, etc are TEAMs.   Miami has a couple of players who don't know how to do that (eg, Lebron does not know how to allow his point guard to handle the ball and play his position).  That would drive Doc crazy!
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

LeBron is the best point guard in the league - this notion that Miami needs a point guard is simply laughable.  He controls the tempo, the ball, drives and penetrates and kicks it out to 3 point shooters, he finishes, and he is a great passer.  Just because he is the best player in the league does not mean he is not the best point guard in the league - HE IS.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: in 3 years the celts will be in the lottery : I respect the fact that you have an opinion.  I know you were only joking, but I am against the use of illegal drugs .  Also if my memory serves me correctly, you have been anti-Rondo in the past.  Like I said, its your right to have an opinion, which is that Rondo only looks good because the Big Three make him look that way.  I disagree.  For different specific qualities that I have enumerated upon in past posts I believe Rondo is an all-star.  He has A+ quickness and can drive to score or dish off.   Some games he is a major scoring threat.  Also, for some years now he gets a very high number of assists.  Further, I believe for 2 years he has made NBA All-Defensive teams.  However, he's not perfect.  Wall and Rose are probablly not either. 
    Posted by cavaliersfan

There were 5 point guards in the all-star game - Rondo was the 5th best.  I have nothing against Rondo, he is a nice player but his weaknesses are overlooked and minimized by people that think he is the best point guard in the league.  His major weaknesses are things that even average point guards as fundamental / integral / basic parts of their overall game.

Of course I am exaggerating but I think the general mindset on this blog goes something like this:

Rondo averages 34 steals per game and then there are a bunch of guys averaging around 2 steals per game....

Rondo averages 26 rebounds per game and there are a bunch of guys averaging around 4 rebounds per game....

Rondo invented the alley-oop....

get it?  As if his steals and rebounds offset the fact that he is the worst shooter in the league.

So when there are point guards in the league averaging more rebounds it is ignored or discounted, etc. "Rondo is the greatest rebounding point guard in history".... well either that or there are a dozen point guards that are all bunched together around 4 or 5 boards

Rondo does get a lot of assists - in the two years John Stockton averaged over 14 (which Rondo won't) he also averaged 18 points, shot 50% from the floor, 40% from three, and over 80% from the line.  Rondo will only shoot over 50% from the floor because he takes lots of layups and when more than 10 feet away from the hoop he is generally ignored.

Why does he get so many assists (and why have they gone down so dramatically since Shaq got injured and Doc told him he has to shoot more and be more aggressive getting to the basket) um because he has 4 first ballot hall of famers to pass the ball too.

Not to mention he routinely passes up wide open jumpers, creating 3 second violations and shot clock violations.

He averages about half as many points as the best point guards, hardly ever gets to the line while the best go about 5 or 6 times per game (and then make 85% of them), he can't finish, can't shoot, and somehow the fact that he gets 3 or 4 more assists than the best point guards that makes him one of the best point guards or as many on this blog would attest to THE BEST POINT GUARD IN THE LEAGUE.  Gotta go change my depends again, dang you guys drive me crazy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

People are judging Miami on the strength of 3/4 of a season. I think the Heat management are smart enough to realize that should LBJ get knocked out again, they go after a high profile coach to get them over the top. Whether that's Doc, the Zenmaster or whoever, at the end of the day living in Florida with a team with that talent and a salary to match would make anyone forget 'loyalty'.
    Posted by Lakerman17

Your "argument" (if that's what you call it) is severely flawed.  I heard Jeannie Buss say on the radio out here in LA (710 ESPN Mason and Ireland Show) that Phil's mind is made up, and even if someone offered him 100 million dollars next year, he would not coach!

And Doc would be in the same boat.  Doc would quit coaching to be with his family.  Phil, of course, quit his family to coach!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakerman17. Show Lakerman17's posts

Your "argument" (if that's what you call it) is severely flawed.  I heard Jeannie Buss say on the radio out here in LA (710 ESPN Mason and Ireland Show) that Phil's mind is made up, and even if someone offered him 100 million dollars next year, he would not coach!

And Doc would be in the same boat.  Doc would quit coaching to be with his family.  Phil, of course, quit his family to coach!!

I wasn't 'arguing' merely stating an angle. I'm surprised you would quote hot mama Jeanie to make you're point since you're a hater and anything that comes out of the Laker Nation you consider drivel. Anyway, if Phil does quit that too wouldn't surprise me as what is their left for him to do? 11 championships clearly shows he has nothing left to prove.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Your "argument" (if that's what you call it) is severely flawed.  I heard Jeannie Buss say on the radio out here in LA (710 ESPN Mason and Ireland Show) that Phil's mind is made up, and even if someone offered him 100 million dollars next year, he would not coach! And Doc would be in the same boat.  Doc would quit coaching to be with his family.  Phil, of course, quit his family to coach!! I wasn't 'arguing' merely stating an angle. I'm surprised you would quote hot mama Jeanie to make you're point since you're a hater and anything that comes out of the Laker Nation you consider drivel. Anyway, if Phil does quit that too wouldn't surprise me as what is their left for him to do? 11 championships clearly shows he has nothing left to prove.
    Posted by Lakerman17

You are a perv, too?

It is a small man who can't admit he was beaten. 
    And you clearly were.  You skirted the issue nicely, a clear admission of defeat. 
    Your "angle" needs a lot of work, as bringing out the old "what does he have left to prove" statement shows. 

And not that I want to lower myself to your standards, but let's be real clear on this "hater" thing.  This is a CELTICS forum.  The only hater here is YOU.  I have  a lot of respect  for the lakers as a franchise.  Magic is one of my all-time favorite non-Celtics.  lakers "FANS" could all disappear off the face of the earth, and that would be okay with me!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Wouldn't see why Rivers wouldn't want to go back to Florida and coach Miami.

My view on Boston?

This year is it for the Celtics to make an honest run at the title. After that they will still be good (if the core remains) but only good. Perhaps on a given night exceptionally good. However I don't see them beating Miami in a 7 game finals series in 2011/12 (that's even if there's a season).

The Celtics are the best team this year. But this is it. This is their chance. Can say the same thing for the current Lakers team. Honestly I believe this is our last legitimate shot to win a title with the team we have.

Will the Celtics be a lottery team? I don't know. If Ainge stays and I think he will, the Celtics will and should remain a competitive team. Ainge comes across as an extremely smart GM. So I'd be confident about the Celtics future. Just don't expect to win a title for a few years. Miami may be very difficult to stop.

As to the Garnett Trade. Bird seemed to indicate that it wasn't entirely McHales decision to trade him. Bird was enquiring to McHale to get Garnett for Indiana. And McHale said to him that there was no chance of that happening. More detail on that can be found in the Magic Johnson / Larry Bird Book "When The Game Was Ours". Gives a different perspective on that whole trade.

Sections
Shortcuts