In The Prime Of Their Careers: R. Allen Vs. D. Wade?, K. Garnett Vs. D. Howard?, P. Pierce Vs. Lebron?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In The Prime Of Their Careers: R. Allen Vs. D. Wade?, K. Garnett Vs. D. Howard?, P. Pierce Vs. Lebron?

All of these players are still playing at a very high level.  What I hypothetically mean is how they played at about their fourth year in the league to approx. 31 yrs. of age. I think Allen and Wade would be equal. Both very good defenders.  Allen, the better shooter.  Wade more athletic.  Garnett over Howard because he was a better clutch player.  Also Pierce over Lebron because he also was the better prime time player. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Re: In The Prime Of Their Careers: R. Allen Vs. D. Wade?, K. Garnett Vs. D. Howard?, P. Pierce Vs. Lebron?

Sorry, Wade is a better player than RA ever was.  Pierce is a better basketball player than lebron ever will be, but lebron is such a freakish athlete.  I think that a 26 year old PP would be a closer comparison to DW, really.

KG at his prime was better than any of them.  Probably the best player in the world around that time they went to the wcf.  Just my opinion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Re: In The Prime Of Their Careers: R. Allen Vs. D. Wade?, K. Garnett Vs. D. Howard?, P. Pierce Vs. Lebron?

Athletically and physically the three non-Celtics probably have the edge but that's not all that makes a player effective.  Garnett in his prime was a far superior all-around player than Howard, just not as strong (or one-dimensional for that matter).  Allen, the better pure shooter, wasn't the scorer that Wade is, and lastly, Pierce has always (and will) have a better head and bbIQ than LaQueen, but was never the imposing presence on the floor - just a knife-in-the-heart guy that LaQueen isn't.  Really, all very different players from one another.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: In The Prime Of Their Careers: R. Allen Vs. D. Wade?, K. Garnett Vs. D. Howard?, P. Pierce Vs. Lebron?:
    [QUOTE]Sorry, Wade is a better player than RA ever was.  Pierce is a better basketball player than lebron ever will be, but lebron is such a freakish athlete.  I think that a 26 year old PP would be a closer comparison to DW, really. KG at his prime was better than any of them.  Probably the best player in the world around that time they went to the wcf.  Just my opinion.
    Posted by cole-ely[/QUOTE]

Agree with you about KG.  He has always been a very talented player.  It would have been interesting to see how many championships he may have won if he was surrounded by better talent earlier in his career.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

KG is one of the top 20 players of all time and at least warrants mentioning in the best PF of all time discussion (Tim Duncan had a vastly superior coach and supporting cast - what if you switched them?).  Tough comparison with Howard (different positions), but I'd take Garnett because of his scoring touch.  Both bring equal amounts (in KG's prime especially) to the table defensively, but Garnett can score on more than just dunks and cleanups.

Pierce has better intangibles right now, but I won't let my homerism get in the way of choosing LeBron.  Lest we should forget, Pierce was a turnover artist at the end of games when he was younger, too.  He finally learned to only dribble in isolation instead of trying to maneuver in traffic with his inferior ball-handling skills, i.e. learned his limits and had enough experience in the clutch.  Furthermore, K.G. was once pegged as a choke artist, but it's a skill you learn through experience and guys like Duncan and Kobe got a lot more playoff minutes with their coaches and supporting cast and thereby got the clutch experience. 

LeBron will come around and he'll be tremendous when he does, especially if he has an epiphany and reshuffles his entourage so he's surrounded by people who don't coddle his ego.  However, I don't think LeBron will come around with Wade as top dog in Miami - I think that's what held him back this year in the playoffs.

I would only take Wade if I knew he had to be the franchise cornerstone.  Ray Allen is a better #2 or #3 because of his 3pt shooting to space the floor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

I love Ray but Wade is the better player. PP is smarter then Lebron but I agree he is a physical freak of nature. KG had a better supporting cast he would be in the discussion with the TD as greatest power forward of all time

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

D. Wade over RA, hands down. Are you kidding me? These 2 should not even be in the same sentence together. Wade led his team to a title as RA just whined in Seattle until coming to Boston with better players than he was.

Garnett and Howard do not even play the same position, but I will say that I bet Minnesota wished that they had D. Howard rather than KG while the Lakers were disposing of them in the early 2000's.

Comparing PP to Lebron is absolutely laughable. Only in Boston, my friends, only in Boston. A Lebron led team has ALWAYS won more than 24 games in a season. Enough said. Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to Re: In The Prime Of Their Careers: R. Allen Vs. D. Wade?, K. Garnett Vs. D. Howard?, P. Pierce Vs. Lebron?:
    [QUOTE]D. Wade over RA, hands down. Are you kidding me? These 2 should not even be in the same sentence together. Wade led his team to a title as RA just whined in Seattle until coming to Boston with better players than he was. Garnett and Howard do not even play the same position, but I will say that I bet Minnesota wished that they had D. Howard rather than KG while the Lakers were disposing of them in the early 2000's. Comparing PP to Lebron is absolutely laughable. Only in Boston, my friends, only in Boston. A Lebron led team has ALWAYS won more than 24 games in a season. Enough said.
    Posted by koberulz[/QUOTE]
    As far as perfoming well in the clutch, there is only one letter that separates these two: Paul Pierce - Winner ......... Lebron James - Wiener ..... LOL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kytroll. Show kytroll's posts

Ray Allen was never known for defense. I don't know where that's coming from. That being said, in his prime Ray was as good if not better than Wade. KG, unless Lebron starts winning some titles, is the best of the lot. Superman has yet to learn how to effectively block shots or hit a shot outside of a foot from the rim. Lebron is better than Pierce. However, Paul beats him for basketball iq and for torching the Lakers in the 2008 finals. Hey Koberulz, you sound like greenkiller.That only in Boston my friends line. I guess you ran out of numbers to add to greenkiller after getting banned for the 12,997th time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Wade, in his prime led his team to the Finals in 2006, RA, in his prime never led the Supersonics anywhere except to the occasional playoffs.

Wade>RA

Howard, in his prime led his team to the 2009 Finals. KG, in his prime never led the T'wolves anywhere except to the occasional playoffs.

Howard />KG

Lebron, in his prime led his team to the Finals in 2007, PP, in his prime led the Celtics to a 24-58 season before the arrival of RA and KG. Embarassing and pathetic.

Lebron />PP

Boston fans are so ignorant.  Cool

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]Wade, in his prime led his team to the Finals in 2006, RA, in his prime never led the Supersonics anywhere except to the occasional playoffs. Wade />RA Howard, in his prime led his team to the 2009 Finals. KG, in his prime never led the T'wolves anywhere except to the occasional playoffs. Howard />KG Lebron, in his prime led his team to the Finals in 2007, PP, in his prime led the Celtics to a 24-58 season before the arrival of RA and KG. Embarassing and pathetic. Lebron />PP Boston fans are so ignorant. 
    Wade had Shaq, still in his prime.  The Celtic Big 3 had themselves and Rondo.  Howard and James played with two outstanding support casts.  These casts were more or less very good offensive and defensive support players. However the Cleveland and Orlando teams were not good enough to win the Championship.  The bottom line is: no one man can win it all, it takes a team with enough stars and enough good support players.  There has to be highly competitive team play on both both offense and defense. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Wade is better than Ray.  Ray is a shooter, Wade is a creator.  Wade will end up with more points than Ray, Ray with more 3's.  Neither could stop the other once they got it going, but Wade is better, as he would get to the line more.  Ring total is even at the moment.

MeBron, unfortunately, hasn't hit his prime yet.  He is a great regular season player, and his teams will always win tons of games in the regular season.  Pierce is consistent and a great closer (not the best, but very good).  MeBron will end up better overall, though the ring count now is 1-0 Pierce, and that counts for something (at least that's what the trolls say)

KG vs Howard is not even close.  First, they don't play the same position, but secondly, KG is one of the premier players EVER.    A force at  both ends of the floor, he led a bad MN team to the playoffs, and has one ring and two Finals appearances in the last 3 years.  What I would give to see #5 in green in his prime!!  Not even close talent -wise.  Howard has not yet hit his prime, either, but given how much his game has "improved" in the last 4 years (minimal, if at all), his ceiling is close.

Doc Rivers 1 ring and counting.......Mike Brown 0 and holding!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Are you kidding me? Shaq was no where near his prime in 2006. And who were the outstanding supporting casts that Lebron and Howard played with?  KG had a better supporting cast with the 2001 & 2002 T'wolves, and they could not even reach the Finals, and yet there are Celtic fans here claiming he is the best of all the players listed. Unbelievable.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Are you kidding me? Shaq was no where near his prime in 2006. And who were the outstanding supporting casts that Lebron and Howard played with?  KG had a better supporting cast with the 2001 & 2002 T'wolves, and they could not even reach the Finals, and yet there are Celtic fans here claiming he is the best of all the players listed. Unbelievable.  

While KG had a decent team in those years, I'd hardly call Wade and Bosh stiffs.  In addition, that ORL deep was DEEP, if not good.  I think
    Nelson/Alston
    Reddick/Lee
    Turkoglu/Pietrus
    Lewis
    Howard/Gortat is a pretty good team.
    Who did KG have, Wally, Joe Smith and Billups?
    And the comparison was between Howard and KG, who don't even play the same position.  No one compared KG with anyone else.
    I, however, stand by my assessment!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Redley34, thanks for making my point for me. KG had a much better supporting cast with the T'wolves than Howard did in 2009. And just to get you up to speed, the questions were: Who was better in their PRIME, Wade or RA, Howard or KG, and Lebron or PP.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Redley34, thanks for making my point for me. KG had a much better supporting cast with the T'wolves than Howard did in 2009. And just to get you up to speed, the questions were: Who was better in their PRIME, Wade or RA, Howard or KG, and Lebron or PP.

I didn't make your point - I don't agree with it.  Howard had a very good team.  MeBron had Wade and Bosh.   And I DID answer the question, Wade, KG and MeBron.  And you're calling me Fierce34 is not helping your cause, as everyone knows I'm not!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

KG as of today is the best Lebron will take his place in real world not the hype when he wins multiple titles.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

genaro008 - Ask any GM in the league who they would take and in what order as of today and I guarantee KG wont be in the top 3.  Laughing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]KG as of today is the best Lebron will take his place in real world not the hype when he wins multiple titles.
    Posted by genaro008[/QUOTE]

Agree - but isn't the question IN THEIR PRIME??  Tayshawn seems to be re-inventing the rules, as usual!  It's all just opinion anyway.  We should try having T name his top 10 all-time, 2 at each position.  THAT would be fascinating!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

First: 6/2/2011
    Last: 7/6/2011
    In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion%3a0276f390-ebfd-400e-b06b-0529f33fd0c6&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion:0276f390-ebfd-400e-b06b-0529f33fd0c6Post:cff617f8-5836-49e3-8bae-d3c43383963b">Re: In The Prime Of Their Careers: R. Allen Vs. D. Wade?, K. Garnett Vs. D. Howard?, P. Pierce Vs. Lebron?:
    KG as of today is the best Lebron will take his place in real world not the hype when he wins multiple titles.
    Posted by genaro008

Agree - but isn't the question IN THEIR PRIME??  Tayshawn seems to be re-inventing the rules, as usual!  It's all just opinion anyway.  We should try having T name his top 10 all-time, 2 at each position.  THAT would be fascinating!!
    --------------------------------------

You must have missed this which I posted earlier - -

Wade, in his prime led his team to the Finals in 2006, RA, in his prime never led the Supersonics anywhere except to the occasional playoffs.

Wade>RA

Howard, in his prime led his team to the 2009 Finals. KG, in his prime never led the T'wolves anywhere except to the occasional playoffs.

Howard />KG

Lebron, in his prime led his team to the Finals in 2007, PP, in his prime led the Celtics to a 24-58 season before the arrival of RA and KG. Embarassing and pathetic.

Lebron />PP

Boston fans are so ignorant. Please keep up Redley34 Cool

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Red-16Russ-11 Posts: 621 First: 6/2/2011 Last: 7/6/2011 In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion%3a0276f390-ebfd-400e-b06b-0529f33fd0c6&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion:0276f390-ebfd-400e-b06b-0529f33fd0c6Post:cff617f8-5836-49e3-8bae-d3c43383963b " /> Re: In The Prime Of Their Careers: R. Allen Vs. D. Wade?, K. Garnett Vs. D. Howard?, P. Pierce Vs. Lebron? : KG as of today is the best Lebron will take his place in real world not the hype when he wins multiple titles. Posted by genaro008 Agree - but isn't the question IN THEIR PRIME??  Tayshawn seems to be re-inventing the rules, as usual!  It's all just opinion anyway.  We should try having T name his top 10 all-time, 2 at each position.  THAT would be fascinating!! -------------------------------------- You must have missed this which I posted earlier - - Wade, in his prime  led his team to the Finals in 2006, RA, in his prime  never led the Supersonics anywhere except to the occasional playoffs. Wade>RA Howard, in his prime  led his team to the 2009 Finals. KG, in his prime  never led the T'wolves anywhere except to the occasional playoffs. Howard />KG Lebron, in his prime  led his team to the Finals in 2007, PP, in his prime  led the Celtics to a 24-58 season before the arrival of RA and KG. Embarassing and pathetic. Lebron />PP Boston fans are so ignorant. Please keep up Redley34  

Read it, just don't agree with it. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

As of today KG has had the best career. I never said right now he is better than any of them. If the NBA never played another game KG would be ranked higher overall for what he accomplished.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Why Garnett vs. Howard?

Howard is a true Center. KG is a power forward. While he has played every position during his carreer at one time or another, including center, I don't understand why you would compare the two players.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Smirk v Wade= knockout to Wade!! Wade is athletic, can create his own shot, good defender and clutch.
    Smirk is one dimensional and now I would definitely say he is at best a streaky shooter now.

Thumper v Howard-one on one Howard kills him. Thumper has game but as shown in the west when thumper was at his best, he still couldn't get it done to make a Finals. Besides, it should be thumper v Duncan Only one winner there....DUNCAN!

Wheelchair v LBJ? Only in boston folks, only in boston! LBJ is the superior player by far. However, if we're gonna compare players of their eras it's probably best we compare the career of wheelchair against The Mamba. And we all know who wins that.....

NO#24- KOBEEEEEEEE!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Why Garnett vs. Howard? Howard is a true Center. KG is a power forward. While he has played every position during his carreer at one time or another, including center, I don't understand why you would compare the two players.
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime[/QUOTE]

Maybe because KG had no current peer in his prime? He has been a unique athlete and player, there have been few like him.  Names like McHale, Malone, Baylor..etc.  In today's game, he has had very few peers, so I guess comparing two great big men makes sense on some level.

Sections
Shortcuts