Interesting Scenerio

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Interesting Scenerio

Humor me.

Lets say that the Nets, Knicks, 76ers and Raptors all finish the season with 35 wins each. According to the playoff rules, if the Celtics finish the season with 36 wins, that qualifies them for a 4th seed in the Eastern Conference.

How does that affect the lottery? Are the Celtics out of the lottery because they are a playoff team? Even though they could feasibly have a worse record than the 5th, 6th 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th "seeds" in the East?

My assumption was always that the draft order/lottery probability was determined by a rank of regular season record, but it doesn't make sense that a playoff team could aso enter the lottery...

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Re: Interesting Scenerio

Playoff teams are not allowed to participate in the Lottery which is reserved for the teams with the 14 worst records that are not in the playoffs.  

The ping pong balls choose ONLY the first 3 picks with odds declining rapidly from the worst record (25% chance of winning) to the team with the 14th worst record (less than 1% chance of winning)  

After the first 3 lottery picks are choosen arbitrariy by the balls, the rest of the picks are awarded according the worst records of the team remaining for the remaining 11 picks.

Now we don't have to worry about your hypothetical situation, because there is no way this team makes the playoffs or wins 36 or even 29 games.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: Interesting Scenerio

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Playoff teams are not allowed to participate in the Lottery which is reserved for the teams with the 14 worst records that are not in the playoffs.  

The ping pong balls choose ONLY the first 3 picks with odds declining rapidly from the worst record (25% chance of winning) to the team with the 14th worst record (less than 1% chance of winning)  

After the first 3 lottery picks are choosen arbitrariy by the balls, the rest of the picks are awarded according the worst records of the team remaining for the remaining 11 picks.

Now we don't have to worry about your hypothetical situation, because there is no way this team makes the playoffs or wins 36 or even 29 games.  

[/QUOTE]

Ok, so then theoretically, the Celtics could win the Division and still get a 3-10 pick?

I mean, it could happen, we are 1.5 games behind TOR right now who is 5 & 7.

I just thought it was interesting that a 4th seed could potentially still get a very good pick in the draft. I guess they can't get a lottery pick (1-3) but 4-10 will also be excellent picks.