Is Antoine Walker a Celtic Great?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

Re: Is Antoine Walker a Celtic Great?

In Response to Is Antoine Walker a Celtic Great?:
    [QUOTE]Toine is in the news again because he's trying to make an NBA come back by playing in the D-League.  Toine had his best year as a Celtic in 2001-02 when the Celtics almost made it to the Finals.  My question is, did helping the Celtics make it to the Eastern Conference Finals in 2002 enough to merit Toine as being one of the great players in Celtic history?
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

His last full year here in 02-03 he shot 38 percent from the floor, 32 percent from 3 and 61 percent from the line.  Do I need to expand on that?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Is Antoine Walker a Celtic Great?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Is Antoine Walker a Celtic Great? : His last full year here in 02-03 he shot 38 percent from the floor, 32 percent from 3 and 61 percent from the line.  Do I need to expand on that?
    Posted by Icon11[/QUOTE]

I get it.

It's just that I saw a post that ranked Toine higher than Paul Pierce on the list of Celtic Greats.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Who made that moronic post?

**in no order other than starting w/ the old guys**

Cousy
    Sharman
    Macauley
    Ramsey
    Heinsohn
    Russ
    KC Jones
    Sam Jones
    Satch
    JoJo
    Cowens
    Silas
    Havlicek
    Bird
    Parish
    McHale
    Tiny
    Max
    DJ
    Ainge
    Reggie
    Ray
    Paul
    KG

All are better Celtics (did I miss anyone?)

Rondo certainly and Perk (if he is extended) will be better

Antoine can duke it out with the likes of Westphal, Don Nelson, Danny Ainge, Gerald Henderson and Bill Walton (yes even w/ 1 year) to be in the 25-30 range of all-time great Celtics

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

No.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Who made that moronic post? **in no order other than starting w/ the old guys** Cousy Sharman Macauley Ramsey Heinsohn Russ KC Jones Sam Jones Satch JoJo Cowens Silas Havlicek Bird Parish McHale Tiny Max DJ Ainge Reggie Ray Paul KG All are better Celtics (did I miss anyone?) Rondo certainly and Perk (if he is extended) will be better Antoine can duke it out with the likes of Westphal, Don Nelson, Danny Ainge, Gerald Henderson and Bill Walton (yes even w/ 1 year) to be in the 25-30 range of all-time great Celtics
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Here's the post that I'm talking about.

Re: Paul Pierce - All Time Celtic? Wheres he rank?

posted at 2/15/2010 6:26 PM EST
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=3567a792c5f5109ca211f62f3c1b2406&plckUserId=3567a792c5f5109ca211f62f3c1b2406">
    First: 2/12/2006
    Last: 1/19/2011

!. Russell
     2.Bird
     3.Havileck
     4.Cousy
     5.Cowens
     6. S. Jones
     7.McHale
     8. Heinsonhn
     9.Dennis Johnson
     10.Jo.Jo. White
     11.KG
     !2.Ray
     13. Antoine Walker, What true Celtic fan didn't love the Walker Wiggle?
     14.Paul Pierce

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Here's an updated version.

Re: Paul Pierce - All Time Celtic? Wheres he rank?

posted at 2/15/2010 6:26 PM EST
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=3567a792c5f5109ca211f62f3c1b2406&plckUserId=3567a792c5f5109ca211f62f3c1b2406">
    First: 2/12/2006
    Last: 1/23/2011

!. Russell
     2.Bird
     3.Havileck
     4.Cousy
     5.Cowens
     6. S. Jones
     7.McHale
     8. Heinsonhn
     9.Dennis Johnson
     10.Jo.Jo. White
     11.KG
     !2.Ray
     13. Antoine Walker, What true Celtic fan didn't love the Walker Wiggle?
     14.Paul Pierce

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

ky? those posts for real? C'mon man that's shameful

1. Russ
    2. Bird
    3. Havlicek
    4. Cousy
    5. Cowens
    6. Pierce
    7. McHale
    8. Sam
    9. Parish
    10. KG
    11. Ray
    12. JoJo
    13. Heinsohn
    14. DJ
    15. Silas
    16. Sharman
    17. Max

That is my top 17, then it gets messy and hard to decide... I'm pretty rock solid on my top 9, the 10-17 range can be tweaked a little based on compelling arguments. As I said 'Toine is in the 20's somewhere

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I'm going with:

Kevin Gamble
    Ray Williams
    Darren make my Daye
    Dino Radja
    Stojko Vrankovich
    Vitaley Potapenko
    Jim Paxson (for ratting out Bird)
    Ron Mercer (at #5, really?)
    Jerome Moiso
    Charles "Atlas" Bradley

Oh, I thought we were doing opposites!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

To be fair to Antoine, he did keep this team mildly relevant during some really bad years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Toine's best season as a Celtic was his 2nd season, after that he believed his own hype, thought he was a shooting guard instead of a power forward and went downhill.  He could have been one of the best power forward the league had ever seen, instead he is not even considered in a list of top ten all time Celtic's greats.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Heck YES!  Antoine was a great Celtic.  He played with a weak set of players and still make it fun and relevant.  He played his heart out and stayed positive during a time when we had Rick Pitino and a lot of stupid moves.  I don't agree with hating Antoine because the team had the bad years of dumb moves and silly coaching techniques (he played for ML Carr, Pitino pressing all game long, and Jim O'brien who wanted them to shoot threes because he had no big men).  I remember so many times that this guy showed how much he cared by firing up his teammates and playing hard eventhough his coach was making dumb moves.

His scoring, his play, and his love for the Celts make him a great Celtic.  Not a top 5 or even a top 10 but a Celtic great, yes.

So Icon quotes the worst year.  So what?  Why not quote his second year - playing with literally nobody and carried the team on his back with 43% overall shooting, 10.2 rebounds, 22.4 points, 3.3 assists, and a ton of excitement?  Why not quote the year he came back with 44% shooting, 16.3 ppg, and 8.3 rebounds in the last 25 games so that we made the playoffs and went to the Eastern Conf finals with one of the greatest comebacks ever against the nets (when Paul was moping and Antoine fired up Paul and the others to make that comeback - heck, ANTOINE might as well have been coach as HE did all the talking in that huddle).

He's not ahead of Paul, but he stepped up to leadership all the time.  I wish he had the same opportunity Paul has......to play with a good team and some other allstars.  

I love Antoine and wish him only the best!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I consider myself a life long Celtics fan.  Antoine Walker is one player who I think symbolized the decline of the Celtics.  His selfish shooting and boneheaded play along with his celebrating (let's face it there was little to celebrate) was a low point for the Celtics.  The year they made the conference semi-finals was great but an aberration for the futility of those years. The good times came back when we least expected it in 2007-8 and Walker should be very low on any list of Celtic greats. KyCeltic, I beg to differ when you write next to Walker's name who didn't love Walker.  I would say a large majority of Celtic fans.  He was a moron.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

Walker may actually have been one of the worst fulltime players in the NBA.  LEt's face facts. 

He was a PF with a 41.4 career fg%, 32.5 career 3pt% (yet jacked up 5 a game anyway!!!),   and 7.9 rebounds with 0.5 blocks per 36 minutes career.

Dino Radja had a 49.7 fg%, never jacked up 3's everyone knew he'd miss, had a higher FT%, and 9.3 rebounds with 1.4 blocks per 36 minutes career.

It's amazing there's even a thread about that excrement Walker and Radja is mostly forgotten. One was a GREAT PF and the other was fodder who was basically allowed to do whatever he wanted cause the team wanted a media darling.

Oh yeah almost forgot... Radja actually averaged MORE points per minute than Walker for his career even though Walker took 2-3 shots more per game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

As for the 'playing with weak players' comment.............

In 2001-2002 Walker averaged 20 points per game despite only shooting 39% !!!!!!!! from the field because he took 21 shots per game. That's an Iverson level of selfishness and poor shot selection.

On his team that year there were 4 guys who averaged around 40% 3pointers  (obviously not him) and Tony Battie averaged 54% FG% finishing inside.  Despite this ... it was Walker who took all the inside AND outside shots (he had more 3 pointers attempted that year than PIERCE even though Pierce was hitting them at 40+%).   It had NOTHING to do with the players around him.  Even when presented with far better deep threats and a good inside finisher he still chose to be out of position shooting 3 pointers that he couldn't make.

As a matter of fact, 2001-2002 Antoine made himself HISTORICALLY BAD.  He took the third most 3pointers in a season in the history of the NBA at 645 and only hit 34% of them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

You should really try to understand the game of basketball better and not be a fair weather fan, only (one who likes players only when the team is winning).  The game is about the players, the coach, and management.  In that period of time, our coach (Jim O'brien) communicated publicly that he felt the best strategy was to score more points off the 3 point line.  Walker's 3 point shooting average was terrible, but that's what the coach asked him to do. The Celtics shot 26 3 pointers per game to their opponent's 17 per game.  Take out Walker's 8 a game and we still shoot more 3's than our opponents.  It was the coaching strategy!!!  Try to understand the full game.

As for the back office, we traded away in those dark years....Joe Johnson, Chauncey Billups, and countless others sot hat we could have:

Kenny Anderson at the end of his career
    Erick Strickland
    Tony Battie
    Eric Williams and Rodney Rodgers.

We played them with 
    Walter McCarty
    Tony Delk
    Milt Palacio
    Randy Brown
    Joe Forte

Then the next year, we went with bruno Sundov, Rubin Wolkowyski, Mark Blount, Kedrick Brown, Grant Long, Bimbo Coles, and the drunk Vin Baker.  All of these guys stayed in the NBA and won championships.....oops - sorry, they never did ANYTHING anything anywhere else!!!   Walker averaged 7.5 rebounds while his big men averaged 6 for Battie, 4 for Blount, and 3.8 for Baker.  Yea - Walker was a bumb and not hustling while all that talent around him was really doing so great.  He and Pierce were the only two players of any note on the team, save a few shining moments from Anderson and McCarty's hustle.

If Walker was such a poison and played so poorly and it wasn't the team around him, what will you say about Pierce who's teams had an even WORSE record when Antoine was gone.  Remember they almost broke the record for longest losing streak in the history of the NBA!!!  But, it wasn't Pierce's fault.  Of course, if Paul never played with KG and Ray and Rondo, you'd say it was all Paul's fault.

Try to look at the big picture more often.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I am trying to see your point.  You mention the terrible support AW got, but he was the biggest part of the problem being the leader at the time.  The players you mention were all part of the dark history you describe and why no one like Walker would ever be considered a Celtics great.  He stunk it up and was the leader when they were awful.  They made the right decision to stay wit h Pierce who was the much more talented ball player by far.  Pierce was always good during even this horrible period considering he was the one piece the Celtics had. Rightly they kept him and the big three came to be.  Can you imagine Walker leading the 2008 Celts?  Firing up those threes and shaking his butt even when we lost.  He was one terrible player.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

KyCeltic.
    Looking at your list adding that who didn't love Antoine next to his name I realize I may have taken your bait. 
    Were you kidding?  You sure got me if you did.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

[QUOTE]I'm going with: Kevin Gamble Ray Williams Darren make my Daye Dino Radja Stojko Vrankovich Vitaley Potapenko Jim Paxson (for ratting out Bird) Ron Mercer (at #5, really?) Jerome Moiso Charles "Atlas" Bradley Oh, I thought we were doing opposites!!
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

Everyone hates on Dino.  He actually was not a bad player at all.  He just was the face of the franchise in some bad times.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

[QUOTE]Heck YES!  Antoine was a great Celtic.  He played with a weak set of players and still make it fun and relevant.  He played his heart out and stayed positive during a time when we had Rick Pitino and a lot of stupid moves.  I don't agree with hating Antoine because the team had the bad years of dumb moves and silly coaching techniques (he played for ML Carr, Pitino pressing all game long, and Jim O'brien who wanted them to shoot threes because he had no big men).  I remember so many times that this guy showed how much he cared by firing up his teammates and playing hard eventhough his coach was making dumb moves. His scoring, his play, and his love for the Celts make him a great Celtic.  Not a top 5 or even a top 10 but a Celtic great, yes. So Icon quotes the worst year.  So what?  Why not quote his second year - playing with literally nobody and carried the team on his back with 43% overall shooting, 10.2 rebounds, 22.4 points, 3.3 assists, and a ton of excitement?  Why not quote the year he came back with 44% shooting, 16.3 ppg, and 8.3 rebounds in the last 25 games so that we made the playoffs and went to the Eastern Conf finals with one of the greatest comebacks ever against the nets (when Paul was moping and Antoine fired up Paul and the others to make that comeback - heck, ANTOINE might as well have been coach as HE did all the talking in that huddle). He's not ahead of Paul, but he stepped up to leadership all the time.  I wish he had the same opportunity Paul has......to play with a good team and some other allstars.   I love Antoine and wish him only the best!
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

I like Antoine as well.  I was replying to the question "is he a Celtic great"?  He isn't.  The year before his "worst year" he shot 39 percent from the floor.  The reason I put those stats up is because Antoine never was "great" Career averages of 17 points and 7 boards with a career shooting percentage of 41 percent isn't great in anyone's book.  But yeah he was good...

I loved him when he was here and still wish him the best.  But he wasn't a Celtic great. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Antoine Walker a Celtic Great? : Everyone hates on Dino.  He actually was not a bad player at all.  He just was the face of the franchise in some bad times.
    Posted by Icon11[/QUOTE]
        Dino Radja was a good player. It was unfortunate that he had that career ending knee injury when he was only about 26 years old. I believe he averaged about 17 pts and about 10 rebs a game his last season. Secondly he was a big part of the world championship Yugoslavian team of the 80's that also had Vlade, Kokoch, Petrovich and I can't recall who else. To sum it up, I agree with you that Dino deserves some credit.
        Add Kevin Gamble to that list also. Sorry Hedley, I can't agree with you're opinion about Dino and Kevin Gamble. Both were good players.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Antoine Walker a Celtic Great? :     Dino Radja was a good player. It was unfortunate that he had that career ending knee injury when he was only about 26 years old. I believe he averaged about 17 pts and about 10 rebs a game his last season. Secondly he was a big part of the world championship Yugoslavian team of the 80's that also had Vlade, Kokoch, Petrovich and I can't recall who else. To sum it up, I agree with you that Dino deserves some credit.     Add Kevin Gamble to that list also. Sorry Hedley, I can't agree with you're opinion about Dino and Kevin Gamble. Both were good players.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

Dino Radja was a good player,  but in bad shape, a smoker, and someone who didn't take care of himself.  He is not on my list because he is a bad player, he is on my list because I feel he underachieved and could have been much better.

Kevin Gamble made me crazy.   In the same way Mike Greenwell made me crazy on the Red Sox for years.   They were both OKAY players, who thought they were All-Stars, and should be respected and paid as such.  I don't think Gamble was a good player...............and it is MY list!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Tony was a good player for a weak team and he was a good player as a roll player for the Shack, Wade Heat team.  Only good , never great.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

antoine is top 3 in lavish spending.. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Good player, yes. Celtic great? No way.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]KyCeltic. Looking at your list adding that who didn't love Antoine next to his name I realize I may have taken your bait.  Were you kidding?  You sure got me if you did.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

That was for Fierce, and he always takes the bait!!  That post was also from a year ago, in case you didn't notice.

Sections
Shortcuts