Is Carmelo a Elite Player?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Is Carmelo a Elite Player?

The announcers talk about him like he is all world.  He is pretty much one dimensional.  He is just a shot a minute player IMO.  Lets look at his stats.  Yes he is averaging 30 pts a game.  Is it a productive 30 pts?

He is shooting 39% from the floor,  taking 27.5 shots a game, 5 rebounds and 1 assist a game.  He also gets every benefit of doubt from the refs.  He can be a very hot shooter at times and is unstoppable then.  I use to think he was a lot better  than I do now.  I could just start naming players I would take over him.  Without thinking about it much,  here are some names:

Durant, Westbrook, Hardin, Lebron,  Wade, Kobe, Dwight, Paul just for starters.

I hate that smirk and huge grin he has on his face with things are going good for him.  I can't wait to see the team the knocks them out of the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: Is Carmelo a Elite Player?

Melo needs a coach like Doc or Pop to really exploit his gifts and take him to that super-star level. He needs better teamates (more like Kidd, less like Felton & J.R. Smith).

Right now, I would rank Curry, Harden, Lebron, Durant, Westbrook, Rondo, Paul, ... (missing some) over Melo as elite. 

In all honesty, I dont really think that Melo has a character flaw or something that holds him back. He just needs better structure, direction, and influences. He is the best pure scorer, but that isn't enough.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Elite talent but not elite player

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Melo makes kobe look like a pass-first player!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

The announcers talk about him like he is all world.  He is pretty much one dimensional.  He is just a shot a minute player IMO.  Lets look at his stats.  Yes he is averaging 30 pts a game.  Is it a productive 30 pts?

He is shooting 39% from the floor,  taking 27.5 shots a game, 5 rebounds and 1 assist a game.  He also gets every benefit of doubt from the refs.  He can be a very hot shooter at times and is unstoppable then.  I use to think he was a lot better  than I do now.  I could just start naming players I would take over him.  Without thinking about it much,  here are some names:

I hate that smirk and huge grin he has on his face with things are going good for him.  I can't wait to see the team the knocks them out of the playoffs.

He's improved definitely with the attitude. Loads of talent and yep does need a KG in the dressing room yelling at him, and a strong coach. Hard to really push back the attitude & ego at an org like the neurotic knicks. Has great, great potential but could end up like McGrady and Vinsanity.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

I dont like the guy and his attitude but Id say hes elite. 

Ive seen alot of Knick games this season (from NY area) and he played team ball a lot better than we're seeing in this series. Coach needs to straighten him out unless hes lost control of Melo... ala Doc with Rondo

The guy is an awesome player with the ball... For a big guy, he gets his shot up quick and is good from anywhere on the court.. but maybe hes still got a little of that hotdog, hero ball in him.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Red-16Russ-11's comment:

Melo: Zero Rings

Kobe: Six rings--Five NBA Rings and another one in Colorado    LOL

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Melo is an elite scorer. He is not an elite player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Red-16Russ-11's comment:

Agree with you.  He doesn't get his teammates involved enough. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Melo is an elite scorer. He is not an elite player.

Sorry to disagree - he's an elite shooter, not an elite scorer.  Scorers find a way to get the ball in the hoop no matter what they have to do, and they can usually set up teammates for easy scores - think PP.  Anthony stands outside of the arc and waits for the ball.  Once it's in his hands, his teammates just clear out and watch as he shoots.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to painter's comment:

Sorry to disagree - he's an elite shooter, not an elite scorer.  Scorers find a way to get the ball in the hoop no matter what they have to do, and they can usually set up teammates for easy scores - think PP.  Anthony stands outside of the arc and waits for the ball.  Once it's in his hands, his teammates just clear out and watch as he shoots.

I think the opposite is true.  He led the NBA  in  scoring,  which itself an elite scorer. But he's missed something like 40 shots in his last  two games.

Either way, we seem to agree is is not an elite player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

In response to Jimmy42Jack0's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Elite talent but not elite player.

Melo thinks that he is an "elite hood from the projects" and nothing more.  He's another Iverson, talented, rich,  but nothing upstairs.