Is Crawford our best 2

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Is Crawford our best 2

The need for a very good 2 is a big need for this team.  Without Crawford and Green spreading the floor and opening up lanes with their outside shooting, it will be tough going inside.  Avery has not seen a shot that he did not like and this worries me.  With his defense and a moderate amount of shots, he might be the 2 we are looking for, Lee has shot himself out of the competition.  Other 2's will not get real opportunity.  So to me it is between, Crawford and Bradley when Rondo returns.  Or mabey, between the two, a good coach can add their skills and rotate them, were we do have an effective 2.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Re: Is Crawford our best 2

I really think crawford's future is at the 1, at least with this team.  He is better with the ball than without.  In college when it counted, they gave him the ball and told him to make a play.  That's what we'll need from him this year.

Avery is taking every outside shot, I'm sure, under instruction to do so.  Now is the time to develop confidence and make teams (hopefully if he keeps hitting them) respect him on d.  Plus he's hitting them...so what's the problem?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to maryngary's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The need for a very good 2 is a big need for this team.  Without Crawford and Green spreading the floor and opening up lanes with their outside shooting, it will be tough going inside.  Avery has not seen a shot that he did not like and this worries me.  With his defense and a moderate amount of shots, he might be the 2 we are looking for, Lee has shot himself out of the competition.  Other 2's will not get real opportunity.  So to me it is between, Crawford and Bradley when Rondo returns.  Or mabey, between the two, a good coach can add their skills and rotate them, were we do have an effective 2.

[/QUOTE]

It's too early in the process to speculate on Avery Bradley's eventual role with this team. A point guard he is not and to date he seems best suited as a 2. Yet he may not be the best 2 on the squad. His value lies in his one-on-one defense of an opponents PG impacting their offensive readiness.

We already know that Crawford can score and if his shot selection at the 2 improves both he and Brooks  seem best suited to the position. An ideal arrangement could include pairing Bradley at the 2 with (Rondo) Crawford at the 1 and Brooks at the 2 with (Rondo) Pressey at the 1 in rotations. Then stick with the hot hands.

Greene has looked lost in the first 4 games. One wonders whether he played competitive pick-up games with his peers in the OFFSEASON to remain sharp as others have done. A leader he is not but perhaps a potentially valuable follower. There may be a better leader (besides Rondo) on the squad.

Both Wallace and with increasing PT Olynyk may prove to be better leaders than Greene.

What handicapps us at present regarding projected lineups is the uncertain nature of who will be traded, drafted or added etc to the  Celtics squad. It seems obvious that this team is in transition. It seems equally apparent that we need sufficient PT for new personnel to determine their eventual role (if any) on this team. Thus Olynyk, Brooks , Pressey and Faverani need PT.

Stability breeds chemistry but right now it must wait on talent exposure and development. Then comes rotations, offensive and defensive assignments.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Babb... just wait.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Crawford is our best point guard, followed by Pressey.

Bradley cannot play the point, so if you put Crawford at the two, you hurt two positions.

I would start Crawford and Bradley, backed up by Pressey and Brooks.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

To go with a Haloweeen theme - Crawford reminds of Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde! One minute and or game he impresses, and the next minute and or game he does not! 

Is it a maturity issue or is there a screw loose somewhere? I dont know! 

I still remember his antics in the playoffs last year! 

I am not ready to call him the 2nd best guard on the team because, I simply dont trust him to be a true Celtic player! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Babb?

Babb won't even make the team! 

Just because Babb had one great game it doesn't mean he's a good player.

He never averaged 10 ppg in college and only averaged 5.0 ppg in the summer league.

[/QUOTE]

You said Pressey couldn't possibly start and now you've already started backtracking... I'd suggest you stop making predictions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I'll say it...pressey isn't going to start at point unless crawford and bradley are both injured (while rondo is too).

The only way pressey starts is if he and brooks are our only 2 guards that can suit up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Crawford has matured some in the off season and has drastically improved his shot selection. My biggest problems with Crawford so far this preseason are, first when heads down the floor he starts off charging down the court but then slows down to let defenses catch up instead of going to the rim until people collapse on him, secondly he is a slow passer, he has a quick shot but he is overly deliberate on his passing. Slow passing is a problem for AB as well, too many times I've seen players post up and have an angle but by the time the ball gets there their man has recovered or worse the double team has already arrived. This is something that is correctable but it really makes things tough for us to develop an inside out game. The one bright side so far concerning Brooks is that he snaps his passes, he shows glimpses of potential but just doesn't have any confidence or consistency in his game so far. Crawford has shown some promise at both G spots and has definately improved his stock with his new found maturity on the court and consistent energy so far this preseason. At only 2 mil Crawford will be a real value this season if he continues to show his new attitude.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Totally agree RH.  Crawfords dribbling is good enough to run point.  His passing needs work, partly due to not having good court vision.  I think he'll improve.

Remember, in college he wasn't asked to pass.  He was asked to shoot.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Forget seniority, I'm just basing it on ability (both ends).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

By our best 2 I did mean he was great, I don't see the two we need unless Avery becomes a good shooter or Crawford becomes a better defender and passer.  This team this year needs a dead eye 2 to help the bigs have room.  They may not be great, But Green and Crawford have the ability to shoot outside effectively.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I think green is a naturally great scorer.  He's just got "it" like PP does.  Like he's been playing every day since he was 2.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Tonight, Crawford shooting well and turnovers?  Mabey he is our best 2.  Neither Badley or Crawford are developed points. Bradley o for 4 to start the game.  Shot us out of it early. KO rebounding and scoring.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to cole-ely's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll say it...pressey isn't going to start at point unless crawford and bradley are both injured (while rondo is too).

The only way pressey starts is if he and brooks are our only 2 guards that can suit up.

[/QUOTE]

Look, wozzy, I'm not the only one here saying Pressey will NOT start.

Hard to believe some here are so naive that they can't understand that there's this thing called seniority in the NBA.

[/QUOTE]

And I'm not saying he will start, I'm saying he should, he's our best point guard after Rondo.  I agree that in the C's case seniority matters.  

Not because they insist on playing vets for the betterment of the team but because they want to keep Pressey, Babb and Favarini, so they will likely sit them and showcase the vets in the hopes of trading them and limiting interest in the young guys.  Happened prior to KG, very likely to happen again this year.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

I had some hope that this coach was different and was looking at everyone picking our his starters, but he is not,  Green and Bradley are starters even if they trip on the center line when they run up and down the court.  Wallace, Hump, and Bass get big minutes even if they are sick.  Lee and Bradley go 6 for 26 at the two and still head the class up at the two.  Our best big will rot on the bench just like Randall did last year when we need him so much.  KO will get token minutes and people will be upset about his numbers with him playing garbage time.  Sound familiar.  

Sections
Shortcuts